JIMMY PAGE ON THIS DAY (Archive)

Thanks for posting PlanetPage! For the record, the photo used is from the Fillmore East 1969 - it's a cropped, reverse negative of this photo:

http://www.ledzeppel...more-e-jan-69-3

....thank you for your expert knowledge...as the photos looked so familiar to me...

although I am not sure how the cover came about to be for showtime with this photo (file photo perhaps), but some further relevant details about the Showtime/Press Scimitar are here in this link( Obituary): Showtme published from 1967-1983:

FRED BRYAN CHISENHALL, assistant managing editor of the Memphis Press-Scimitar......"With his wife, Margaret McKee, Fred wrote Beale Black & Blue, a book about Mid-South bluesman and Beale Street. When the Press-Scimitar started ShowTime in 1967, Fred was named the first editor, and Margaret was assigned as a part-time reporter for the weekly entertainment section. ShowTime featured articles on a number of local bluesmen, and Fred and Margaret became interested in preserving their stories."

http://www.findagrav...r&GRid=26041928

02/27/2012

22712.jpg

Midnight Moonlight as Jimmy posted it..

http://soundcloud.co...onlight/s-K956P

....Guitar Orchestration as James Patrick Page plays for us here and Ten Years Gone - article from Premierguitar Magazine.....

From Beethoven to Page

"A great example of this is how Jimmy Page layered his parts in the classic Zeppelin cut “Ten Years Gone.” The song starts out with a single guitar in the left speaker, with a bit of plate-style reverb in the right. Then the bass plays along in the center until the second guitar part appears in the right speaker playing a lower octave than the first part. Then it breaks back down to the single guitar in the left speaker again. Throughout the song, various guitar parts come in and out at different pan positions—sometimes in mono, sometimes in stereo. Some parts play octaves of each other, and some play harmonies. By the end of the song, you can hear at least six guitar parts intertwining with each other, covering lows, mids, and highs. It’s a fine example of studio production and guitar orchestration."

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Jun/Guitar_Orchestration_Orchestration_Maneuvers_in_the_DAW.aspx?Page=1

02/29/2012

22912.jpg

....Here is the interview quote in this link:

http://www.liquidgno...ley/quotes.html

...Very innovative and senstiive Musician he was....Reminds me of Page very much in his time of youth, beautiful in every way.....

...and how sweet of Jimmy to recall this beautiful moment....He is truly warm and understanding....

He was an amazing talent taken way too soon. His death was just too strange and unexplained IMHO. The guy goes swimming after rehearsals at 1am, fully clothed and with cowboy boot on??? WTF??? Sorry, but I don't believe this was an "accidental" drowning. Sounds like he pissed off the wrong people in Memphis, regardless of what his family says. Either that or he was bi-polar or in a delusional state of mind, such folks tend to do these kinds of stunts.

It was kind of strange in a way that when he drowned he was listening to "Whole Lotta Love'". Not sure if that makes a difference.

Also odd is how his song "Last Goodbye" resembles the mid-section of "Whole Lotta Love" (Knebworth Versions). Jeff was obviously a Zeppelin fan as we know and probably got into the live recordings and bootlegs as well.

02/29/2012

22912.jpg

Wrong date, Jimmy. You (and Robert) attended this gig on February 28, 1996.

Page/Plant played at the Tennis Centre in Melbourne on Feb 29th (support from G.I.R.L.) & Mar 1st 1996 (final show of the '95-'96 World Tour, it featured an encore jam with bass tech Richard Davis on 'Rock And Roll').

I had never heard before that Jeff and Jimmy had planned to work together - it makes his death doubly tragic.

And all the more poignant that he was listening to Led Zeppelin at the time of his death.

On a different point, I am struggling a bit with the word "reportif" ... any suggestions ?

I had never heard before that Jeff and Jimmy had planned to work together - it makes his death doubly tragic.

And all the more poignant that he was listening to Led Zeppelin at the time of his death.

Wow, Buckley wanted Page on his next CD. That could have been amazing. That's the kind of thing I wish he would do instead of guest spots playing greatest hits (Foo Fighters, Black Crowes). Page had some nice playing on the WIC CD, I think that kind of approach would have worked well in a collaboration like that. Buckley wasn't generic rock, as Page has leaned heavily toward in his musical partners since Zeppelin. I think that partnership could have brought out a real sensitivity in Page's approach.

I'm thinking maybe he dictates to a very primitive kind of voice recognition computer !

"rapport" is a good suggestion.

"repartee" would be another

or "recitative" - which is a classical choral music term (hmm... Jeff Buckley certainly had the vocal range of any classical choral singer, but that may be where the comparison ends)

Unfortunately his voice recognition technology ( if that's what it is) has also misspelled "ethereal" . I am getting used to blanking out these little details but sometimes Jimmy's postings are so fluent and precisely observed that it's just too frustrating to see them undermined by ( presumably ) someone else's poor spelling !

How this film looks so dated. :rolleyes::sos: It certainly isn't a great film, but watchable. Just don't find some of the thugs, appealing as characters. The first Death Wish was certainly the best of the lot. But just the reality of having Jimmy's music in the sequel and others

( at least the third as well) is good for me. He did a great job with the soundtrack, from someone who had never composed a movie soundtrack. I don't consider TSRTS in this genre, since it's a concert film.

I'm thinking maybe he dictates to a very primitive kind of voice recognition computer !

"rapport" is a good suggestion.

"repartee" would be another

Unfortunately his voice recognition technology ( if that's what it is) has also misspelled "ethereal" . I am getting used to blanking out these little details but sometimes Jimmy's postings are so fluent and precisely observed that it's just too frustrating to see them undermined by ( presumably ) someone else's poor spelling!

Repartee makes much more sense, thank you. I'm hesitant to draw any conclusions about the inconsistent writing styles and such. Much earlier I had floated a theory in this here thread that JP was dictating to a transcriber whose first language was not English - the word "routined" in particular had set the alarm bells off; I claimed there was no such word. But then JP used that word AGAIN in one of his fluent posts that definitely sounds like him speaking or writing.

Long story short: if the Dark Lord says that routined is a word and reportif is a word - hey, I can roll with that.

I sort of had a feeling it was special enough to Jimmy to do it. ;)

It is special to me too as it has become my favorite, but also it was released almost exactly a month before I was born, which is partly why I remember the date. I loved hearing your memory of this time, MSG. :D

Thank you, AEN. I really appreciate that you have captured all of these OTD - I'm not always able to keep up so I love being able to see (and hear!) them.

Well said MSG. I feel the same about this monumental album. As far as I'm concerned, it's Zep's best studio work. No doubt in my mind about that! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cheer:

Are any of these brief tracks on YouTube or anywhere else?

Thank you, SuperDave! :) I agree that PG is a monumental album! I can't find these brief tracks anywhere except via Jimmy's profile on the Soundcloud site - they are new to me, I hadn't heard them before he posted them here: http://soundcloud.co...raffiti/s-rzVOB I would love to hear more of these sorts of working tracks from him.

....MSG thanks as always sharing your thoughts bringing the era little closer...I remember the impact as well as we spoke about this era many times....

AEN...I do remember your birthday right around this time, our so many posts in Hot Pictures of Jimmy Page...I know it is special......

You're welcome, PlanetPage. My pleasure.

I heard a few of the tracks live at MSG weeks before the actual release! It was mind blowing. LOVED, Love LUV PG!!!

Although my friends and I were (foolishly) jaded by LZ by then (it was sort of a "ho-hum, Led Zeppelin's onstage in a packed Garden filled with too-rowdy fans" feeling), Kashmir still stands out for me (and is my and Mr. MSG's favorite LZ song), unfortunately there is little (nothing) else I remember from that night as far as PG tracks.

Are the working titles here something that Jimmy has just revealed to us or has this information been known to fans? I ask because I don't ever remember reading about it anywhere else.

The only one I know of is Swan Song, but I just looked on my Brutal Artistry CD and the titles we know them as are there, so he must have just revealed this new information to us. :D

The only one I know of is Swan Song, but I just looked on my Brutal Artistry CD and the titles we know them as are there, so he must have just revealed this new information to us. :D

Thank you for checking your Brutal Artistry CDs...I love when Jimmy reveals this kind of new information to us. ;)

Archived