Your Favourite Three 70's & 80's Bands?

Cuban

In the 70's my top there were Zep, Genesis & Floyd.

Lots of people seem to think that an odd mix, but it still works for me to this day!

In the 80's my top three were Plant, Saga & It Bites.

Perhaps an even stranger mix, but again, it still works for me to this day!

What do you think of the above and who were yours?

70's

Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Pink Floyd

80's

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Van Halen, Prince

Edit: I replaced ZZ Top, even though I listened to them so much in the 80's, they were really a 70's band as well:-)

In the 70's my top there were Zep, Genesis & Floyd.

Lots of people seem to think that an odd mix, but it still works for me to this day!

In the 80's my top three were Plant, Saga & It Bites.

Perhaps an even stranger mix, but again, it still works for me to this day!

What do you think of the above and who were yours?

Can't say I ever thought much of Saga, though in all honesty I've probably only heard a handful of their songs. As for It Bites, I've never heard them. Never been real big on Genesis but they definitely have my respect. Same thing for Pink Floyd though I'm more of a fan of their work than that of Genesis.

Three of my favorites from the 70s would have been Kiss, Skynyrd and Foghat. Three from the 80s would be R.E.M., 10,000 Maniacs and David Lindley.

Interesting that there are quite a few who list Zepp and Floyd in their top 3. :)

It should go without saying that Zeppelin would be in our top 3 given the obvious but they are one band I listened to throughout the 70s. My fandom for Kiss had pretty much bottomed out by the end of the decade but they were still worthy of a mention since they played a pretty prominent role in my listening habits for the majority of the 70s. I might have also listed Van Halen but they didn't really enter the picture for me until the tail end of the decade.

70's would be Jethro Tull/Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band/The Dictators. (Hard not to include John Lennon, George Harrison, Leon Russell or Badfinger.)

My interest in music waned quite a bit after 1979 or so and I never really recovered. I took somewhat of a hiatus from live shows during the 80's, except for some occasional hard-core punk shows on Sunday afternoons at CBGB's in NYC.

I'll have trouble with the 80's, but R.E.M. would be one. What the hell, I'll include 1980's Jethro Tull.

Pretty tough to just pick 3 from each decade(and I'll assume you have your reasons for excluding the 60s, 90s and 00s). This required me to set up some ground rules to winnow the field to a manageable size.

Basically, for a band or solo artist to qualify for my list I had to like them as much at the end of the decade as I did at the beginning(sayonara Stones and Pink Floyd), or whenever it was I first heard them...and it had to be a period of 5 years or more. That eliminated any flash in the pans, or bands that were hot for an album or two, then petered out(I'm looking at you T. Rex). Of course, that meant that bands whose best years straddled the decades, like most first-wave punk bands, Van Halen, Elvis Costello or My Bloody Valentine, didn't make the cut for either the 70s or 80s. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Another criteria was that not only did they have to have put out great albums, but they also had to be great live. And I have to enjoy their music as much today as I did back then.

1970s: Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Marvin Gaye

1980s: Sonic Youth, The Cure, Prince

Just missing the cut:

1970s: Rory Gallagher, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Parliament-Funkadelic, David Bowie, Queen, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rolling Stones, Kraftwerk.

1980s: Jane's Addiction, Iron Maiden, Cocteau Twins, Replacements, Smiths, Hüsker Dü, Dream Syndicate, Metallica.

• 9 months later...

Archived