New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I think Plant is in denial ;) that or more people purchased and talk about the Led Zeppelin companion discs than his new albums and that pisses him off (which would certainly piss me off if I was in his shoes. Backing, alternate, rough takes getting more of a reputation that brand new music is quite the insult lol)... Just seems odd he would trash new releases that he's part of. On a different note I don't understand why not many people seem excited to have the Paris '69 show in great quality? I've listened to CB-ICQYB-HB and HMMT a ton of times so far. And the rough takes for WLL and SIBLY are both a treat, Gallows Pole, That's The Way, Jennings Farm Blues and Keys To The Highway are all awesome tracks. Can't wait to hear IV and HOTH!!

On a different note I don't understand why not many people seem excited to have the Paris '69 show in great quality?

I love it - love the improved quality and love not listening to the announcer. Sometimes I wonder, though, how many people actually *listen* to the music and - to paraphrase some lyrics somebody or other sang - let the music be the master. I think lots of people let the group think tell them what they should like, instead. But that's me being cynical.

The LZ III companion disc has been the keeper of the lot. That one keeps my genuine interest, whereas the others are nice to have, but that's about it. Without any new tracks, it seems safe to say that LZ IV and HOTH will not achieve the same level of interest as LZ III. As I said long ago, I have never met an Expanded Edition, by any band, that set my world on fire. LZ III has to be the best one in my collection. I look forward to creating my own double album of LZ III, which will include the original album, the new companion disc tracks, Poor Tom, Bron Yr Aur, and Hey Hey What Can I Do?. That should be an amazing ensemble if the running order is structured properly.

I will let my own ears tell me what to think about the companion discs.

:ph34r: Dont take it too seriously, It was told to me by a huge zep (collector/fan) who was mad because he didn't like one of my posts in another forum so he included that at the end of his comeback post to get me goin. As if it could. On the other hand he may actually have foreknowledge of what's on them so.... :whistling:

Based solely on the track titles I expect IV to be lackluster but with a gem or two. "Black Dog" was a little bit of a let down, but still fun to listen to.

Of course I'm not judging these releases without hearing them, but my expectations aren't sky high. I'll either be pleasantly surprised or happily content :P

The LZ III companion disc has been the keeper of the lot. That one keeps my genuine interest, whereas the others are nice to have, but that's about it. Without any new tracks, it seems safe to say that LZ IV and HOTH will not achieve the same level of interest as LZ III. As I said long ago, I have never met an Expanded Edition, by any band, that set my world on fire. LZ III has to be the best one in my collection. I look forward to creating my own double album of LZ III, which will include the original album, the new companion disc tracks, Poor Tom, Bron Yr Aur, and Hey Hey What Can I Do?. That should be an amazing ensemble if the running order is structured properly.

that sounds like a cool idea... your own fan made bonus disc... there's something about that cover on III that doesn't do justice to the contents..

I have listened to the new Led Zeppelin 1 Remaster.

The sound quality is amazing. It also has improved the one thing that all mp3 files have due to being compressed files - Sibilance. The Sibliance on the new remasters is very minimal, which I find is very impressive of Page to be able to do.

I have listened to the new Led Zeppelin 1 Remaster.

The sound quality is amazing. It also has improved the one thing that all mp3 files have due to being compressed files - Sibilance. The Sibliance on the new remasters is very minimal, which I find is very impressive of Page to be able to do.

Well I'd have to agree with that SiNs...

Do you think the remasters have also improved the Sibilance from the original Cd's?

To be honest, I cannot listen to MP3's unless I have no choice. They have and always will do my head in.

CD's are bad enough although some are mastered and sound better than others. Still not great though.

Vinyls are awesome and tape whilst still in good condition is also awesome with the right gear.

The new HD 24 bit flacs are awesome as well and despite what a lot of people say, you don't have to have an overly expensive set up to hear and feel the difference.

Have you compared by listening to these 24bit HD audio files?

I remember reading somewhere years ago that the creators of CD audio stated that "It was almost good"!

Anyway, I got to get my old mans turntable and amp set up one day very soon and give the remastered box set vinyls a good listen.

It's an interesting concept this whole "remastering" and the advances we will continue to see in technology. The advances will obviously continue to come in the form of making the sound quality of the music better (as well as the systems and devices that we, the consumers, listen to it). It's therefore logical that we will continue to see these classic recordings, most going back many years, will continue to be remastered every few years.

It's an interesting concept this whole "remastering" and the advances we will continue to see in technology. The advances will obviously continue to come in the form of making the sound quality of the music better (as well as the systems and devices that we, the consumers, listen to it). It's therefore logical that we will continue to see these classic recordings, most going back many years, will continue to be remastered every few years.

Yeah, it is an interesting concept.

I think the new recordings will be obviously much better suited to new technology and better sonically if recorded/mixed and done properly as in the past they only allowed for certain head room sonically and wouldn't have been able to do more than they could at the time.

These days they have better technology and you can also use old technology side by side with the new for allowing for any possible future tech.

I mean, it would be a lot of work and most wouldnt probably bother but a ton of different mics in recording studios in a ton of different angles/ possitions + dry direct input mixes and digital + analouge + different bit rates of digital and different anolouge mixes and god knows what else all recording at the same time. There would be plenty of wriggle room to do many remasters and many suround sound releases and mixes of different sorts.

Covering all bases kind of thing.

It boggles my mind and I'd love to record music ike that if I was able to.

I am going to be brutally honest here and state that I was terribly excited about the release of the deluxe versions of Led Zeppelin I, II and III. As far as the impending releases of IV and HOTH are concerned, I couldn't be more disinterested. Don't mean to sound like a wet blanket or anything, but I am actually thinking of passing on these releases and investing on the release by Queen in November this year (already purchased Live At The Rainbow and looking forward to receiving it shortly!), which seems IMO, far more exciting. I will instead, patiently await the release of the deluxe versions of PG, Presence and ITTOD.

I am going to be brutally honest here and state that I was terribly excited about the release of the deluxe versions of Led Zeppelin I, II and III. As far as the impending releases of IV and HOTH are concerned, I couldn't be more disinterested. Don't mean to sound like a wet blanket or anything, but I am actually thinking of passing on these releases and investing on the release by Queen in November this year (already purchased Live At The Rainbow and looking forward to receiving it shortly!), which seems IMO, far more exciting. I will instead, patiently await the release of the deluxe versions of PG, Presence and ITTOD.

Hi Kiwi_Zep_Fan87,

I haven't listened to or read any reviews of the SDBS of IV and HOTH and this time I'm not going to. I will get them and hopefully I'm not as disappointed as you.

I will try and save for the Queen releases as well as they are awesome.

I just hope that maybe you will be suprised by something in the next zepp deluxe releases.

I like your honesty though from what you've obviously heard already. :)

I will be buying the upcoming deluxe packages of IV and HOTH based solely on their historical merit and peerless artistry. I simply can't base the value of these new remasters on the companion Disks Any longer. The bonus material is of some interest for sure but really the original studio release is what this is all about.

If anything Presence and CODA will contain the only bonus disks worth getting excited about.

I was wondering from a "units sold" perspective, do these deluxe releases count as 2 in the same way "double" albums are counted by the RIAA? It may seem unimportant, but it does affect the whole gold, platinum, diamond awarding process, not to mention going towards units sold, which Zeppelin currently hold 4th place.

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php?content_selector=top-selling-artists

I've bought and loved the previous releases and will the same with the upcoming releases. At this point in my life, I've bought and re bought Led Zep, the Beatles, Stones, WHO, AC/DC catalog s multiple times but considering that there is little new music that remotely compares to these bands, listening to out takes thrills me to a much greater degree than NEW music from the present day bands

:ph34r: Dont take it too seriously, It was told to me by a huge zep (collector/fan) who was mad because he didn't like one of my posts in another forum so he included that at the end of his comeback post to get me goin. As if it could. On the other hand he may actually have foreknowledge of what's on them so.... :whistling:

I hope he was just trying to get your goat, because I find it totally weird that anyone would make pronouncements about the value of something that nobody else has had a chance to listen to yet, particularly someone who would consider himself a huge zep collector or fan.

I so agree with this! The difference in sound quality to my ears between what I have been listening to and the remasters is so great that I've lost interest in listening to a lot of the older stuff. It sounds kinda dead to me. The remaster music is so much more live, immediate and just plain *there* to me.

Whilst it would have been nice to see some unreleased tracks for IV and HOTH, I just hope that the alternative takes are a little more interesting than a single squeal in the chorus and no guitar solo.

The companion disk for 3 was great and had some real gems but tracks like celebration day just sounded too similar to their released counterparts that it was hard to actually spot significant differences, and as such it didn't add anything to the disk. In fact it's inclusion was to the overall detrement of the disk IMO.

Just saw this today. Holy shit is Plant ever honest here.

Hate to say it but I totally agree with Roberts comments in this interview regarding the "bonus" material on the Zeppelin remastered issues. With the exception of a couple of tracks the bonus discs are mostly filler for the most desperate of Zeppelin fans.

But once again I'm sure Robert will get hammered for his honesty regarding these latest Zeppelin releases.

Yep, mostly by people who can't confront their own expectations and weirdly argue variations of the thinly veiled route he owes us...

At this point I don't think there IS a relevant, as far as he's concerned. LZ are the past, his past, and whilst I'm sure he's pleased on some level that the music they made was timeless and continues to fill his coffers, he knows he can't go back there and the weight of expectation is too onerous to even consider something new with that group of people. Also the price that was paid for those 10 albums was very high, personally & emotionally - he doesn't seem to mind the odd reminiscence, but to dwell there may be too painful. So as to 'what would he want instead of what we've got?'..... I think a big part of him wishes it would all go away.

Good post. I'm taken aback by all the purchasing options for these new rereleases (or is it rererereleases, I've lost track...). There's only so many new frames for the same picture. Hopefully this is the definitive re-issue. Then the fig leaf will be off for Page and any new forthcoming material. I would really like to see what he'd come up with. In the mean time, I do hope people who purchase these enjoy them (Again) and find it all worth the cost.

These tapes are going on 45 years old, they've got to be getting thin by now. I don't expect analog tape technology to advance enough to warrant another remaster. The medium we use to consume it may change, so we might see re-releases, but I think this is it on the sound quality front.

And that isn't a bad thing. This is the best these songs have ever sounded.

I think this is it on the sound quality front.

And that isn't a bad thing. This is the best these songs have ever sounded.

Agree this is the best the music of the albums has ever sounded but I feel obligated to point out that new technology might, in fact, improve the quality even more in ways we haven't even begun to imagine. (Wouldn't that be cool?)

I've started this post about three times, trying to figure out what I want to say.

I now have the first three SDBS, having added II and III in the last week. By finding good deals and with Amazon gift cards, my out-of-pocket cost has been less than $200.

Still, I've experienced some mixed emotions with these sets. While they are first-class quality, I think the price is just a tad high, especially as I can't do anything with the vinyl. And, I think the lasting worth of the companion audio has yet to be determined. I don't deprecate it as much as some have...yet. Over time, however, they may have less appeal. And the Black Dog preview we have didn't impress me.

I cancelled my preorder of HOTH on Amazon because I think the preorder price of $118 is just too high (sure, HOTH and fourth album set could drop to $114, where the first three were when they shipped, but that is still too high I think).

I got II for $84, factory sealed. I'm just going to bide my time with the remaining SDBS. Would love to have them on release day, but my wallet and I will ultimately be happier saving a few bucks I think.

Just me rambling on.

Archived