New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

For some unexplained reason the 4th album plus bonus has already leaked,

Wasn't it supposed to be released in a week from now?

I'm sure some units have already shipped to distributors, and someone got their hands on one and ripped it. That, or someone at the label or manufacturer is responsible.

Houses leaked this morning.

Couldn't agree with you more! I always skipped over Four Sticks because it never really caught my attention. But after looking at it and realizing how HARD it is to play on drums and how simply complicated (you heard me :bubble: ) and brilliant it is, I can't get enough of it.

How any zep fan could "skip" Four Sticks is beyond me! The riff, the drumming, the weird lyrical imagery, "When The Owls Cry In The Night". It's one of their best pieces and it typifies the band. :suntan:

I love OTHAFA too, in fact it's one of my favorite live zep songs. It's different every tour, and so much heavier live, if that makes any sense. :)

God I'm looking forward to these next two releases, can't wait!!

What a zep year it has been!

I love OTHAFA too, in fact it's one of my favorite live zep songs. It's different every tour, and so much heavier live, if that makes any sense. :)

God I'm looking forward to these next two releases, can't wait!!

What a zep year it has been!

May be even better next year with PG, Presence and whatever is in store for the latter too!

How any zep fan could "skip" Four Sticks is beyond me! The riff, the drumming, the weird lyrical imagery, "When The Owls Cry In The Night". It's one of their best pieces and it typifies the band. :suntan:

Agreed. Four Sticks is my favorite on Zep IV.

Anyway, I have the super deluxe box sets pre-ordered so I *ahem* "went sailing" *ahem* and listened to a few of the re-releases. The two bonus albums just seem to be very mix-centric. If you were expecting some seriously amazing things from the albums like the deluxe edition of Zeppelin III then you're going to be disappointed. A lot of the outtakes, if not most of them are just instrumentals with different panned mixes.

With Stairway to Heaven the extra guitar overdub after the solo is very prominent, along with Plants dry vocals in the rest of the mix.

The No Quarter mix is striking with Plants lack of vocals and the HEAVY prominence of Jonesy's piano. Two words to sum up the piano work from outtake from me would be "enchanting" and "dazzling".

In the Four Sticks outtake there is a count in from Bonham and it's basically another different mix of panning and what-not, but Plants vocals fade out shorter at the end than it does in the studio version.

The Song Remains The Same Outtake is basically a good ear-opener to fully appreciate Jimmy's guitar tone here. It's just a very loud, ringy-sounding guitar. I loved the very last chord that he strums at the end of the song, it just sounds very vibrant.

Plants "La-La" section in The Ocean outtake are heavily panned vocals. Pretty much feels like his voice is moving around your head at that point. I actually like it, and prefer it to the studio version.

That's the bonus, you don't have to sit through it again :)

As big as a LZ fan that I am, D'yer Mak'er is one of my non favorites for sure! It's a decent song, but gets far too much airplay to others that are far more deserving!

As big as a LZ fan that I am, D'yer Mak'er is one of my non favorites for sure! It's a decent song, but gets far too much airplay to others that are far more deserving!

I've tried many different times to like it, but this and The Crunge drop HOTH to a 4* album, not 5 for me.

Not really D'yer Maker's fault that it gets played too much on the radio. There's plenty to like about it, like Bonzo's drum fills and actually one of my favorite Jimmy solos, nice expressive, melodic string bends!

Aside from NQ ,those are my ONLY FAVORITE TRACKS from HOTH. I can't even stand TSRTS, DD, TRS, TO.

You have interesting musical tastes. Not quite what one would expect from the Led Zeppelin aficionado.

Aside from NQ ,those are my ONLY FAVORITE TRACKS from HOTH. I can't even stand TSRTS, DD, TRS, TO.

I mean, to each his own, I guess I could see not liking Dancing Days, even TSRTS, but The Rain Song? One of their best! And who doesn't love cranking up The Ocean, a feel-good song if I've ever heard one!

HOTH was the first Led Zeppelin LP I bought & I thought it was quite patchy for years but it's a real grower & now I would maybe put it my top 3 albums of theirs.

I think the level of variation on it kinda makes it what it is. Can't wait to have a listen to the remastered version & the bonus disc, the whole way through on Monday.

Archived