New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

BTW - how great do these mp3s sound? ....the freakin' mp3's have been stunning IMO

I agree. When I first heard the Re-mastered for I-Tunes LZ II.... I was blown away by how good it sounded.

I ordered the LZ IV LP today. And, that's how they are marketing it "LZ IV" vs "Unititled" or "ZOSO".

Since the release day was indeed today (October 27) and not tomorrow, I went after work to the record store and got both the IV and HotH Super Deluxe Boxes. With my store credit that I had accrued, along with a nice discount, my cash outlay for the entire purchase only amounted to about $120. Sorry I didn't have time to take photos of the displays and everything...but I figured you already can picture what they look like. Well, except for ksgemini, who doesn't have any shops that carry the box sets nearby.

Same deal as the first three Super Deluxe boxes...books and cds sealed in shrinkwrap, but not the vinyl albums. No flaws that I can see on the packaging...except for a slight mark on the inside of my HotH box. All vinyl is clean and labelled correctly. Both the Houses of the Holy vinyl and cd comes with a white wrapper with Houses of the Holy printed in Led Zeppelin font slipped around the covers. The vinyl comes housed in lined plain white inner sleeves, while the cds are in plastic sleeves inside plain white paper sleeves. I love the fact that no bar codes mar the album artwork...both the vinyl and cd versions.

IV has an insert inside the vinyl album that replicates the original lp's inner album sleeve liner notes and "Stairway" lyrics. The same deal with Houses of the Holy...an insert with the lyrics and credits. The colour of the IV insert seems a bit darker than my original IV album sleeve, but the "Houses of the Holy" insert replicates the original's textured look.

A curious notation on the inner groove of Side 1 of IV...the name "John D" appears. Perhaps the guy who cut the vinyl master?
post-1470-0-74532400-1414479611_thumb.jp

Fourth album SDBS finally arrived last night about 7. Whenever I see Amazon shipping to me by Ontrac, I shudder, as there is a delivery guy in my neighborhood and I think I'm always the last on his route!

My out-of-pocket expense so far (including Jimmy's book) has been quite modest, thanks to timely Amazon credit (I'm a schemer!) and birthday $$.

My numbered prints:

First: 23581 (ordered May)

II: 11982 (ordered September)

III: 22623 (ordered September)

Fourth: 09110 (ordered October)

HOTH: 10508 (ordered October)

Zepp2.jpg

Are there any runout inscriptions on any of the new vinyl releases?

As I posted earlier, no inscriptions on any of my vinyl from the first five box sets with the exception of that John D tag on Side 1 of Led Zeppelin IV.

Yeah, I only got HOTH Deluxe (IV box set is going to be an Xmas gift)...and when I looked in the ads on Sunday I noticed the release date was moved up to the 27th. I'm assuming this was to coincide with the Taylor Swift release (my daughter is a huge Taylor fan) which was released on the 27th. I'm only speculating...lots of moms/dads bringing in their daughters to get the TSwizzle CD, so why not take advantage of the additional traffic and put the Zep albums out too!

Yeah, I only got HOTH Deluxe (IV box set is going to be an Xmas gift)...and when I looked in the ads on Sunday I noticed the release date was moved up to the 27th. I'm assuming this was to coincide with the Taylor Swift release (my daughter is a huge Taylor fan) which was released on the 27th. I'm only speculating...lots of moms/dads bringing in their daughters to get the TSwizzle CD, so why not take advantage of the additional traffic and put the Zep albums out too!

When preordering the last Floyd today, I noticed it's release was moved up a day, to the 10th, just like these were moved up. Interesting.

John Dee. Isn't he worth consideration? He was the English equivalent to Michael Jordan in the alchemical, occult, and metaphysical world. Basically Jimmy Page's hero. Consider the John D inscription in this light and the fact that the 4 symbols have been linked to an alchemic 5th symbol to which Jimmy based his entire career on. John Dee...Consider him.

John Dee. Isn't worth consideration? He was the English equivalent to Michael Jordan in the alchemical, occult, and metaphysical world. Basically Jimmy Page's hero. Consider the John D inscription in this light and the fact that the 4 symbols have been linked to an alchemic 5 symbol to which Jimmy based his entire career on. John Dee. Consider him.

No, it's definitely John Davis. It was on the other albums too.

Well OK fine....John Davis. But in my world, which is hermetically sealed - it IS John Dee. Jimmy would see the irony in the John Davis and the John Dee theory so I'm cool with that. John Dee spoke with his HGA...And that was Jimmy's work back then. All things considered I'm going with John Dee (D).

I love the instrumentals on the IV and HOTH companion discs. I'm surprised to hear himself say this but other than the instrumentals for IV and HOTH I'm disappointed the other tracks on the companion discs are not more different from the originals.

John Davis doesn't ring true, unless as a play on John Dee as suggested above.

Jimmy does not have a track record of celebrating the engineers and producers who've worked with him, and John Davis has had the appropriate credits.

My own copy of the new IV has inscriptions which I cannot decipher: time for a trip to the opticians !

John Davis doesn't ring true, unless as a play on John Dee as suggested above.

Jimmy does not have a track record of celebrating the engineers and producers who've worked with him, and John Davis has had the appropriate credits.

My own copy of the new IV has inscriptions which I cannot decipher: time for a trip to the opticians !

It wouldn't necessarily be up to Jimmy. Think of all the records in the 1970s with "Pecko Duck" cut into the run-off groove. As one of the highly-sought record cutting engineers in England, George "Porky" Peckham was the man who cut the master discs from which a vinyl record is pressed. If you saw "pecko" or "pecko duck" or "porky" in the run-off groove, it was a record pressed from a George Peckham master.

That's why I think this is a signature from whoever cut the master disc from which these albums have been pressed...sort of like leaving a calling card. It could be the John Davis that worked on the mastering or it could be a guy at the record plant who also just happens to have the name John D.

It wouldn't necessarily be up to Jimmy. Think of all the records in the 1970s with "Pecko Duck" cut into the run-off groove. As one of the highly-sought record cutting engineers in England, George "Porky" Peckham was the man who cut the master discs from which a vinyl record is pressed. If you saw "pecko" or "pecko duck" or "porky" in the run-off groove, it was a record pressed from a George Peckham master.

That's why I think this is a signature from whoever cut the master disc from which these albums have been pressed...sort of like leaving a calling card. It could be the John Davis that worked on the mastering or it could be a guy at the record plant who also just happens to have the name John D.

Yes, this. The initials, or mark of the mastering engineer, or lab, are almost always found in the run out groove. Jimmy would have no say in this practice, unless he wanted his own inscription added, such as: "2015, here I come".

Who could forget the infamous RL inscription denoting a nice hot Robert Ludwig master? The holy grail of domestic pressings.

I went to a best buy monday night and they didnt have the cds. It looks like they are down to 3 aisles of discs at this point. Its a bizarre catalogue of cds, with a section of metal selections by nikki six. I think they are going to continue scaling down and only offer new releases, thats what it looks like. At the front of the store, they had a big display for new releases of all video games and dvds.

There are literally only a few regular privately owned record stores around locally. But i may mapquest one a half hour from here, dont want to go back to best buy.

Archived