New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

LIF, my quoted "Silly concept" remark is my feeling that the companion disks were added

to the re-mastered recordings for collectors only purposes and not to bring anything truly new

to the original albums.

Yes, there have been a couple of un-released songs that were fun to hear and shed some

new light on the process. But honestly once those songs were heard they faded just as quick -

for most.

CODA will be seen as to have the most interesting and studio worthy songs of unreleased

material.

Believe me, I love the recordings - all of them. But the hopes we had of something bigger

in the companion disks is fading.

That said - I do believe Presence will be very intriguing as far as a true companion disk is concerned.

Rolling Stone was out to deliberately slag the Band in an unfair and ignorant way.

My comments on the companion disks are in no way unfair and are based on actual listening

and forming an opinion.

Edited by nirvana

LIF, my quoted "Silly concept" remark is my feeling that the companion disks were added

to the re-mastered recordings for collectors only purposes and not to bring anything truly new

to the original albums.

Yes, there have been a couple of un-released songs that were fun to hear and shed some

new light on the process. But honestly once those songs were heard they faded just as quick -

for most.

CODA will be seen as to have the most interesting and studio worthy songs of unreleased

material.

Believe me, I love the recordings - all of them. But the hopes we had of something bigger

in the companion disks is fading.

That said - I do believe Presence will be very intriguing as far as a true companion disk is concerned.

Rolling Stone was out to deliberately slag the Band in an unfair and ignorant way.

My comments on the companion disks are in no way unfair and are based on actual listening

and forming an opinion.

nirvana - I got that you aren't impressed with the companion discs. But what I don't get is how that makes them a silly concept. I think it's a fabulous concept. Jimmy Page thought it was a pretty good concept, too, and I guess JPJ and RP also thought it was a good concept.

Edited by lif

"Silly" in the sense that the companion disks have had little to add to the brilliance of the original

recording so why get everyone excited that we would hear some revelatory music.

They haven't lived up to that at all, especially with the last 2 discs. And now it seems that PG companion

will be the same un-inspired recordings.

And don't be too sure that Robert is especially fond of the companion disc concept - in fact it may be

the exact opposite.

Edited by nirvana

I can't wait for this one. favorite album of all time. the extras sound interesting enough. wish there was more, but if its being saved for Coda, I'm cool with that.

really don't like the color scheme they used for the box tho....

here are my projections. In Through the Out Door hasn't changed. the other two have. I'd be surprised if this wasn't correct...

eun53wWl.jpg

8KwGGEFl.jpg

OzJ9rlnl.jpg

kinda bummed that Presence isn't coming out also, but hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Not true ledzepfilm...most of the bonus tracks have been on utube for some time now.

I have listened to them so my assessment of the PG companion disc hasn't changed.

How do you know these are the ones already booted? These could very much be alternate takes that have not been released before, but just have similar titles. Jimmy said he's avoiding stuff that's been heavily booted, I doubt one HALF of a companion disc would be already booted material. That doesn't make any sense. I agree with LZF, withhold the comments until you've heard them; don't jump the gun my friend, give it a month...

Until the PG Companion disc tracks are official I think it's better to wait a bit. Coda I think, will be quite special, which would make sense. It's a much harder sell to the general public and a lot of stuff other than the original tracks must be included to gain the extra sales. The studio albums can sell well on their own for the most part!

Until the PG Companion disc tracks are official I think it's better to wait a bit. Coda I think, will be quite special, which would make sense. It's a much harder sell to the general public and a lot of stuff other than the original tracks must be included to gain the extra sales. The studio albums can sell well on their own for the most part!

I agree! I posted a while ago my speculation for Coda and it would make sense that Coda would have all of the unreleased stuff; the remasters would go out with a bang, the sales for Coda would be higher, and the regular studio albums can sell well on their own with a matching companion disc. Let's just hope our speculations hold true!

Ok guys - a case well fought. Let's talk again after PG plus companion comes out.

I certainly will give them a listen (bonus tracks) and then can present a better assessment.

PG is my favorite Zep album and a masterpiece by any standard. I hope I'm mistaken about

any extra tracks that come along side of such a great work.

Let's discuss in late February!

PH track listing is up on amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physical-Graffiti-Led-Zeppelin/dp/tracks/B00RUT3A38/ref=dp_tracks_all_2#disc_3

Track Listings

Disc: 1 1. Custard Pie 2. The Rover 3. In My Time Of Dying 4. Houses Of The Holy 5. Trampled Under Foot 6. Kashmir Disc: 2 1. In The Light 2. Bron - Yr 3. Down By The Seaside 4. Ten Years Gone 5. Night Flight 6. The Wanton Song 7. Boogie With Stu 8. Black Country Woman 9. Sick Again Disc: 3 1. Brandy & Coke (Trampled Under Foot - Initial Rough Mix) 2. Sick Again (Early Version) 3. In My Time Of Dying (Initial Rough Mix) 4. Houses Of The Holy (Rough Mix With Overdubs) 5. Everybody Makes It Through (In The Light Early Version/In Transit) 6. Boogie With Stu (Sunset Sound Mix) 7. Driving Through Kashmir (Kashmir Rough Orchestra Mix)

Hard to believe there was not sufficiently interesting alternative material available for each track.

Cheers,

Indi

Edited by indigomoonbeam

I think people getting their hopes up for Coda are going to be dissapointed, I doubt there'll be a trove of unreleased gems on a companion disc for an LP which was ultimately a trove of unreleased gems.

It doesn't appear to me that there is anything in the vault other than La La, Keys to the Highway & these alternate mixes we're getting.

Edited by Mook

The other two I like, I'm not sure if pinkish colour really works for Presence. I'd think more of a cream/whitish one, similar to III

Putrid pink? no way, I feel sick just looking at that colour.

Do we dare have any hopes that Coda could turn into a real treasure trove? For example: "Down By the Seaside" was recorded during sessions for fourth album. Perhaps there's no alternate of that here because it wasn't recorded during the PG sessions, and therefore it's more suitable for Coda? "The Rover," too, was recorded at a different time..

So was Boogie With Stu and Houses of the Holy - so songs that were not recorded in '74 have already been represented here.

When i was younger, i mostly listened to the first record of pg and the 2nd record on sort of a sporadic basis. Ofcourse i had go to tracks, on the 2nd record, like in the light and the wanton song. But what im sayin is, i could see a single companion disc working for this new version of physical grafitti, bein its a double record w alot of material. Another version of, the rover, wouldve been cool...its just one of those sleeper songs that gets better over time.

Personally I have always envisioned Presence as having a dark green theme. As is below.

bupOpyL.jpg

I think some sort of green too...but I admit Coda looks good in green.

It´s now official.

Starting price of $159. Ouch. The first album's SDBS had three vinyl, plus the press kit thingy, and didn't start that high.

So it goes. It's sure to drop some...we shall see.

Putrid pink? no way, I feel sick just looking at that colour.

Everyone is aware that computer monitors and device screens do not necessarily show true color, depending on their settings and individual quirks, right?

Everyone is aware that computer monitors and device screens do not necessarily show true color, depending on their settings and individual quirks, right?

No. Putrid pink is just that. It looks the same on both my laptops, my PC both of my tablets and my phone, had to check just to make sure and guess what Putrid pink on all of them.

Edited by JTM

According to the official press release, Physical Graffiti contains the acoustic arrangement 'Bron-Y-Aur Stomp'. Oops!

I quote:

"Certified 16x platinum in the U.S., the commercial success of Physical Graffiti was equaled by its critical reception. Generally regarded as one of the greatest double albums of all time, the original 15 tracks represent a creative tour de force that explores the band’s dynamic musical range, from the driving rock of “Custard Pie” and acoustic arrangement of “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” to the Eastern raga of “Kashmir” and funky groove of “Trampled Under Foot.”

According to the official press release, Physical Graffiti contains the acoustic arrangement 'Bron-Y-Aur Stomp'. Oops!

I quote:

"Certified 16x platinum in the U.S., the commercial success of Physical Graffiti was equaled by its critical reception. Generally regarded as one of the greatest double albums of all time, the original 15 tracks represent a creative tour de force that explores the band’s dynamic musical range, from the driving rock of “Custard Pie” and acoustic arrangement of “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” to the Eastern raga of “Kashmir” and funky groove of “Trampled Under Foot.”

Noticed that myself, 'bit of a bad one.

I quote:

Please do not 'Oops!'.

Everything is OK!

Obviously Physical Graffiti does contain the acoustic arrangement of "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp". It is called "Bron-Y-Aur"!. Please, read with understanding.