New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I cant agree with that. IMO Coverdale/Page is over all, the most "Zeppelinesque" album done by any of the three post 1980 (With Death Wish 2 coming in second IMO). Maybe Page hasnt been as prolific, but he's put out quality material in my mind.

I think Outrider and Walking Into Clarksdale sounded Zeppelin-esque, and Manic Nirvana was the closest thing to Zeppelin sound that Robert did. I'm excited for the possibility of a new JP solo album.

only problem i have with all this is, it contradicts Pages own beliefs on letting the music speak for itself, tarting it all up and putting it all in fancy boxes doesn't agree with the ethic behind most of what Zeppelin was or is about. How much will these boxes cost? if its the same as the Floyd sets, ill give em a miss, whats the point? we would ALL rather unreleased live shows, this is what Zep was about, the live experience, hence the sales of the DVD compared to Mothership tell all

I think the box sets of 1990 (with the crop circles, etc) was the best of all the "re-mixes" and "re-mastered" sets. The Best of collection Early Days Vol. 1 and Latter Days Vol. 2 along with Mothership were nothing to write home about.

I think (I would hope) Page doesn't do another rendition of the two most recent re-releases.

Anyone diminishing JPJ's input in Led Zeppelin and post projects(insane 2 solo albums+arranging tons of bands+ constantly performing at blues/jazz fests+opera+TCV+Seasick Steve(he's in studio with him atm doing 2nd album)) has no clue about musicianship and thus must STFU.

/end rant

Speaking of Page-he needs to do something outside Zeppelin legacy. Last thing he did something like that was in past - 12 years ago.

Its 21st cenctury and a lot has changed-music and musicians themselves. It would be interesting how he fits un modern framework.

I think JPJ is the current leader of relevancy from the band, for TCV mainly. That was a band all the members immersed themselves in. No covers of previous bands, just new music. I feel Page needs to step away from his comfort zone and put out something entirely new with new musicians. He used to put new ideas out a lot. Music without much in the way of a reference point. It would be nice to see him be highly original on a new release. It would be great to see him get away from the typical framework of old style rock.

They ought to produce vynil again. Then again nobody cares about real music anyway, so you can have your mp3 whenever you want on your ipod....

I still have my Presence LP and I absolutely love the quality I get playing it through my Quartz turntable. Following our logic, anything compressed through a computer would have a worst quality than anything produced in analog (I.E. recorded on Reel to reel and/or cassete), no?

Don't know where you've been but they still are producing vinyl today...every week I go to the record store there's more new vinyl records for sale. The latest from Neil Young, Flying Lotus, Grimes, Jack White, Fiona Apple, Beach House.

Vinyl is not dead.

I want an instrumental album from Jimmy.

So you keep saying. The planned solo album may have an instrumental track or two on it but market forces are more demanding of an album with vocals. A wholly instrumental album would not generate as much interest as a conventional band album.

Vinyl is not dead.

No, but it's a niche market that has recently seen a revival. Due to this, prices are high and people thinks that every record is worth a fortune. It's not quite popular enough for prices to come down yet...I'm hopeful they do. From what I have seen most new vinyl records retail for around $20.

Just picked up a used Heart lp today, cost me $10.

Edited by publicenemy3

I wonder if the Zep III disc will include the virtually 99.9% unknown longer, original studio version of "Gallows Pole." This version was masterred and released one time only on an Advanced Promo DJ 7" record. This longer original studio version is not found anywhere at all, except on this Advanced 7" record. A real anomaly among Zeppelin releases. On later releases including the Official Led Zeppelin III album, for whatever reason Page & Co. cut out 11 seconds right in the middle of the Coda of the song. I'll bet 99.9% of Zeppelin fas have never heard about this or knew it to exist until it was brought to light by a collector from Nebraska who is now retired in Florida.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

I wonder if the Zep III disc will include the virtually 99.9% unknown longer, original studio version of "Gallows Pole." This version was masterred and released one time only on an Advanced Promo DJ 7" record. This longer original studio version is not found anywhere at all, except on this Advanced 7" record. A real anomaly among Zeppelin releases. On later releases including the Official Led Zeppelin III album, for whatever reason Page & Co. cut out 11 seconds right in the middle of the Coda of the song. I'll bet 99.9% of Zeppelin fas have never heard about this or knew it to exist until it was brought to light by a collector from Nebraska who is now retired in Florida.

I'm almost sure this was discussed some time back....Don't think I would go so far as to say 99.9% of fans are unaware of this version. Would'nt say that there is anything that special about it either. Edited by JTM

Don't know where you've been but they still are producing vinyl today...every week I go to the record store there's more new vinyl records for sale. The latest from Neil Young, Flying Lotus, Grimes, Jack White, Fiona Apple, Beach House.

Vinyl is not dead.

Here in Portugal unfortunately, all record shops, you know, in the tradicional way, went banckrupt a decade ago. It's very sad. Everytime somebody wants to buy a CD or a Vinyl, you have to go to the mall, not the record shop down the street. Anyway, I know vinyl is not dead, I know that some bands still use it as a plataform, but their main production lines are CDs... well, I guess that right now, not even CD's are bought by the general population, as they all buy stuff from Itunes with crappy MP3 quality. What I meant was that I feel that people are missing out on music quality, because they are not enjoying it on Vinyl, but I guess it's the natural order to "improove". I actually bought sometime ago a brand new Black Sabbath vinyl from the mall, but I keep forgetting to listen to it , haha ! Edited by magerogue

Record stores are just a memory where I am and cd's are vanishing...BB is doing away with all physical media starting w/ music after New Years

I also heard that CD's are being "discontinued"... wich is not a very bad thing, but I doubt they'll do it. Alot of people still buy them.

Hope u are right I still prefer them...everything I get tho has to come from Amazon...when I looked at many of the Celebration Day formats and BB says (will be)"not available in store" I knew it was trouble...they'll probably get one copy of cd only here...thats where things are headed...

'Don't listen to Led Zeppelin in MP3'.

All mp3s are shocking. They don't even resemble the song they're supposed to be. My friend Pete played me 'Tomorrow Never Knows' by the Beatles: didn't sound ANYTHING like it

Especially something as brilliant as Led Zeppelin, you need to hear every note, every chord, every beat...

Although I do have a soft spot for tape! Loved the way it would slow down, then sound muddy, then speed up, then sound like it's underwater. Then you'd say "Did it always sound like this? I thought it was a bit faster...And clearer"

Edited by Beckenbauer 6

In Dave Lewis's A Celebration book of Led Zeppelin recording sessions ( i cant find mine ) it lists songs tried out including earlier versions of songs and cover version rehearsalI would love to hear more songs like the coda , hey hey what can i do , travelling riverside blues & "Baby Come On Home"

Jennings Farm Blues CD is ok