Does Jimmy Still Play ?

Paganini

I’m beginning to suspect Jimmy doesn’t even play any more, anyone know when he last played live,? He’s obviously posed a few times with guitars -most recently with the telecaster releases but I’m not convinced he is actually playing now. There was a rumour going around he had arthritis in his hands, anyone know anything at all?

I am sure he does still play, unfortunately it is only around the house and most likely acoustic only due to his worry about causing damage to his house.

Sadly, I believe Jimmy is retired as a player in public. He just wants to cement the Zeppelin legacy at this point and that is truly a shame. Oh well.

IMO Jimmy should get a silly wig, some Renaissance clothes, and join Ritchie Blackmore. It could be called Blackmore's Page 🙂

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

If Jimmy can't be bothered with it any more, do we really want to see him reluctantly turn up, toss it off and go through the motions? 
What value is there in that, really? Steve A. Jones once said something about Jimmy being an emotional player, rather than a technical one. I think that's exactly right.
If Jimmy played with an emotional connection to the guitar that was basically 'I'd rather be at home', the result would be more travesty than triumph.
If he doesn't want to do it, he's right not to. He's Jimmy Page, FFS - hasn't he already given us more than enough? 

I’m convinced he still plays as evidenced by some of the stuff on IMGL.  Yes that was 10 years ago at this point but a guy who loves the instrument as much as he does would not just stop.  He always pointedly says he’d “like to be seen playing,” which suggests to me that the only thing missing is a public forum.  Does he REALLY want to get out in public and play?  I’m guessing that’s the real question.

Don’t have a link but I remember that when he was in NYC last year for one of his GF Scarlett’s poetry readings, someone who spoke with him claimed that Jimmy said he’d been “rehearsing with some people” so who knows...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aQCv6jmv-EU

23 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I am sure he does still play, unfortunately it is only around the house and most likely acoustic only due to his worry about causing damage to his house.

Sadly, I believe Jimmy is retired as a player in public. He just wants to cement the Zeppelin legacy at this point and that is truly a shame. Oh well.

IMO Jimmy should get a silly wig, some Renaissance clothes, and join Ritchie Blackmore. It could be called Blackmore's Page 🙂

Trouble is Jimmy is teatotal these days so wouldn’t be too keen on sitting around with Ritchie drinking his home brew😁 

Edited by Paganini

On 2/7/2019 at 6:06 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

He just wants to cement the Zeppelin legacy at this point and that is truly a shame.

That is so not a shame. What I want from Page IS classic Zep in all it's forms. I want nor expect nothing more from him. Keep the Zep vault stuff coming Jimmy! 

1 hour ago, pageluvva said:

Or Mick Ralphs with Bad Co when he toured and faked his playing. Sad yes but I wasted $25 on the bluray. 

What was this? Are we talking "secret guitarist behind the curtain" sort of thing....

25 minutes ago, 76229 said:

What was this? Are we talking "secret guitarist behind the curtain" sort of thing....

Not even a behind-the-curtain thing, he stands there and fakes it. Most solos the video cuts away from him and the other guitar player is playing his stuff. And other times when what Mick is playing is not what is coming out of his guitar. I was so pissed off to see this. He was one of my first heroes. Man he played with soul. The way I see it is that there is no shame in not being able to play anymore, just don't go on tour! Don't soil your reputation. I gotta say that I lost some respect for Mick. Thank God for the classic Bad Co days. 

1 hour ago, pageluvva said:

Not even a behind-the-curtain thing, he stands there and fakes it. Most solos the video cuts away from him and the other guitar player is playing his stuff. And other times when what Mick is playing is not what is coming out of his guitar. I was so pissed off to see this. He was one of my first heroes. Man he played with soul. The way I see it is that there is no shame in not being able to play anymore, just don't go on tour! Don't soil your reputation. I gotta say that I lost some respect for Mick. Thank God for the classic Bad Co days. 

I just heard Paul Rodgers On Eddie Trunk show (Sirius XM) talking about any possibility of collaboration w/ Jimmy Page and discussion of Queen, Mick Ralph’s. He must have had a stroke as Paul said he has lost the use of one of his arms. 😥

Here’s the full interview 

R😎

IMG_8102.JPG

Edited by reids

Couple of comments: First, how old are you? At 54 I'm not the same person I was at 44. At 44 I backpacked the Grand Canyon. Now I can walk a mile or two, and I avoid stairs. It's called growing older. 

As for Buddy Guy, I saw him perform in 2015 and in 2016 with Jeff Beck. It's time for him to retire. His act now is 50 percent guitar playing and 50 percent shtick. There are a few moments worth listening to and the rest of it is annoying. 

1 hour ago, reids said:

I just heard Paul Rodgers On Eddie Trunk show (Sirius XM) talking about any possibility of collaboration w/ Jimmy Page and discussion of Queen, Mick Ralph’s. He must have had a stroke as Paul said he has lost the use of one of his arms. 😥

Here’s the full interview 

R😎

IMG_8102.JPG

Good post, and sad about Mick Ralphs.  If that’s why he had someone covering for him on stage I’m okay with it.  Perhaps that’s the band’s way of supporting him and he needs help with medical bills? You never know.

9 hours ago, ScarletMacaw said:

As for Buddy Guy, I saw him perform in 2015 and in 2016 with Jeff Beck. It's time for him to retire. His act now is 50 percent guitar playing and 50 percent shtick. There are a few moments worth listening to and the rest of it is annoying. 

I love Buddy Guy and saw him over ten years ago and he was already 50% shtick back then. Such a great catalog to choose from and such a great guitarist when he wants to be yet he just goofs and guffaws for half the show or more. 

12 hours ago, mstork said:

Good post, and sad about Mick Ralphs.  If that’s why he had someone covering for him on stage I’m okay with it.  Perhaps that’s the band’s way of supporting him and he needs help with medical bills? You never know.

Thanks. I saw Bad Company with Rich Robinson (ex-Black Crowe’s) and Howard Leese (ex-Heart guitarist).  I believe Leese played the leads for Ralphs for those concerts mentioned above.

R😎

Edited by reids

On 2/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, The Rover said:

Jimmy is 75 now. Is he going to get back into playing?

Here's a guy, a Buddy "Guy", that's 82 performing last year at Austin City Limits, with another show planned for March 28th of this year.

https://www.pbs.org/video/buddy-guy-august-greene-gsyu24/

Best guitarist I have ever seen live

Love this topic. I read that indeed Mick had a stroke and there was no way I was slamming him for that (of course). That is sad for sure. But to see him blatantly fake his playing was what pissed me off. Cause I paid money for it. That''s not fair. 

Saw Buddy Guy a few years ago and his shtick was pretty horrible. And the $100 plastic guitar straps being sold we're horrible as well. Autographed of course in some scrawl that no one could ever read. 

But to me the saddest was BB King at the end ( I LOVED the guy) when he would just tell rambling stories and play the odd note or two and let the other guitar player play for him. I remember he played a 20 minute You Are My Sunshine that went nowhere and even his band members were looking uncomfortable. It's on me though I guess cause I paid to see it. 

That's why seeing someone like Paul Rodgers live is still a treat cause he brings it every night. For everyone of a certain age who still brings it every night my hat is off too you all  

Edited by pageluvva
Sorry, new here and I am still figuring things out. Thanks.

As a medical doctor, I have looked at recent video of JP . I see no evidence of Ostro or rheumatoid arthritis!! I don’t buy the arthritis rumour. As for us Hoping he could play like 30-50 years ago,  It’s wishful thinking. As was said above, we all age and lose hand eye coordination. Doesn’t mean he couldn’t perform meaningfully tho IMO.