Tokyo 1971.9.23 footage

23 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Fantastic Stuff!!

Was it a revelation to anyone else that Jimmy played Celebration Day on the double neck during this time period? It's a very short clip just before the acoustic set but that's Celebration Day. Perhaps as a matter of convenience since Stairway immediately preceded CD. Rather than swap out guitars and play CD on the Les Paul as he did later. Interesting!

The older 8mm film (close to the stage) of this show had a clip of Celebration Day.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:07 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Well, happy birthday to a fellow Liverpool fan (incidentally, I am heading back to my hometown in a week and a half, and will see the Liverpool v Crystal Palace game, in which we might win the premiership). 

Good luck with that Xolo. It may end up being cancelled...or being played in a quarantined stadium.

On 3/10/2020 at 1:40 PM, Zep Hed said:

Fantastic Stuff!!

Was it a revelation to anyone else that Jimmy played Celebration Day on the double neck during this time period? It's a very short clip just before the acoustic set but that's Celebration Day. Perhaps as a matter of convenience since Stairway immediately preceded CD. Rather than swap out guitars and play CD on the Les Paul as he did later. Interesting!

Not really, because most of us figured out he used the 12-string when the good 1971 bootlegs started making the rounds. Since "Celebration Day" followed "Stairway" so quickly in most sets on the U.S. and Japan tours in 1971, it was obvious that Jimmy kept the double-neck on for both songs. 

What most of us assumed at first, however, was that Jimmy played CD on the six-string part of the double-neck like he did at Knebworth. It wasn't until I heard Orlando, Toronto, Hampton, and the upgraded source for 9.29 Osaka that I could hear he used the 12-string for CD as well. 

The first video footage of 1971 Japan that came out years ago confirmed it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 6:36 AM, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

latest from Yuminori (@yuminori0616) for hard copy collectors:

Via Google Translate:

Led Zeppelin "BUDOKAN 1971 1ST NIGHT 8mm" (1971/9/23 Budokan, 1DVDR): This week's LH & FUZ gift. It's a fragmentary video that lasts about 25 minutes, but it's an amazing video.
As a Bonus Track, a familiar off-shot image that the members seem to have taken is also recorded. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, Zep Hed said:

So this picture sleeve has been around a long while but I guess shows the lighting from this show was typical for the time? Don't think the photo's from the same show.

Led Zeppelin Black Dog 7" vinyl single (7 inch record) Japanese ZEP07BL45352

This sleeve is from the Black Dog 928 SB release in 2016. It was the first song available of a 71 Japan SB and was a bonus CD of the Rock Carnival EV box set, which contained the 7th & 5th (the best) Aud sources for 923. The picture shows the band onstage Osaka Festival Hall, 28th Sept. 1971.

R-9330896-1478718842-8872.jpeg.jpgR-9330896-1478721366-8642.png.jpg

Edited by Autumn Moon

• 1 year later...

Whoa! What a find. I wonder how much more live footage is lying in someone's basement gathering dust. I'll be 68 soon so I'm not too hopeful I'll see much of it! Meanwhile, while I'm still breathing; Jimmy, Earls Court live release; CD, Vinyl and Blu-Ray. Get it sorted! Now!!!

Pretty please........

Edited by Jukkin

On 4/14/2020 at 5:26 AM, SteveZ98 said:

Via Google Translate:

Led Zeppelin "BUDOKAN 1971 1ST NIGHT 8mm" (1971/9/23 Budokan, 1DVDR): This week's LH & FUZ gift. It's a fragmentary video that lasts about 25 minutes, but it's an amazing video.
As a Bonus Track, a familiar off-shot image that the members seem to have taken is also recorded. 

This is absolutely incredible! I also wonder how much of this is in someone’s collection somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Pure Frosting said:

I wonder how good the original filmprint would look like. These are clearly by someone filming the projected screen?

Projectors to capture video for the nosebleed seats did not exist at the time, or rather were not used. I believe the first time Zep used them was for the 75' or 77' shows and I don't think they used them at every gig, only the stadiums however I may be wrong.

10 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Projectors to capture video for the nosebleed seats did not exist at the time, or rather were not used. I believe the first time Zep used them was for the 75' or 77' shows and I don't think they used them at every gig, only the stadiums however I may be wrong.

I don't mean on the spot. I mean someone filmed it recently from the projected screen. Rather than scanned the frames.

• Administrators
On 9/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, Pure Frosting said:

I wonder how good the original filmprint would look like. These are clearly by someone filming the projected screen?

There's two sources he's using: The main one is a decent 1080p digital transfer but has been adjusted a bit here & has some extra compression artifacts etc. 
Second source: Clips the filmer's friend did from nearly the same angle is an older 480p transfer and is kind of out of focus.

50 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

There's two sources he's using: The main one is a decent 1080p digital transfer but has been adjusted a bit here & has some extra compression artifacts etc. 
Second source: Clips the filmer's friend did from nearly the same angle is an older 480p transfer and is kind of out of focus.

Thanks for the info here, Sam! Would you be able to clarify the length of the two sources and perhaps how much of each song he actually captured?

• 5 weeks later...