Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

Joe Biden promised to unify us, and he has. Most voters agree that they don't like him

Opinion: President Joe Biden may be upside down on COVID-19 and the economy, but he's delivered on a promise to unify us. Most agree on the poor job he's doing.

Jon Gabriel
opinion contributorts

0:06
1:15

Year One of the Biden presidency was a mixed bag. From COVID-19 to Afghanistan to the economy, Joe’s had a rocky start. Still, he’s delivered big on one promise.

In his inaugural address, Biden said, “Today, on this January day, my whole soul is in this: Bringing America together. Uniting our people. And uniting our nation.”

Boy, has he delivered. Across dividing lines of age, race and gender, the country is united on one point: Nobody likes Joe Biden.

New poll shows how wide Biden disapproval is

The Quinnipiac Poll released on Wednesday provided the latest evidence. Just 33% of Americans approve of the president’s job so far, with 53% disapproving. Since November, his approval dropped 3 percentage points, all coming from those who held no opinion two months ago.

It’s the lowest approval of his presidency. At least so far.

The most striking part of the poll is the demographic breakdown. Biden’s approval ratings are lower with Hispanic voters (28%) than white voters (32%), a fact sure to set off alarm bells among Democratic strategists.

The president is bombing with men and women (25% and 38%, respectively), the young and old (24% and 43%), and those with college degrees and those without (46% and 24%).

The only positive marks come from Democrats (75% approval) and Black voters (57%), but those are pretty low, historically speaking. Among the crucial independent vote, only 25% like the guy.

“I ask every American to join me in this cause,” Biden said on that cold day last January, “uniting to fight the common foes we face.”

He didn’t realize the common foe would be him.

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Markets always react negatively to uncertainty. However, this will be wrapped up in a matter of weeks at which time it will be business as usual. He's doing this to prevent Ukraine from becoming a member of NATO as Russia needs Ukraine to continue to serve as geographical buffer zone to the South. He's taking it and there ain't a damn thing Sleepy Joe and his crime family can do about it. 

Economically this could potentially crush Russia, especially as Vlad's narcissism just wrote a big check he simply cannot cash. When he directly and obviously insulted President Xi and China by first making a deal, and then reneging on it, he lost his only somewhat ally in the process. So now Russia has both the West & China quite upset. If Russia is locked out of the two largest markets in the world, plus the third (most of Europe), how he is going to keep Russia afloat? Sure Russia has the gas but that gas was more a convenience to Europe, not a necessity. Europe can and is just buying their fuel from the World Market, just like us. 

Who knows, you may be right and Sleepy Joe and Xi will give in and be cool with the invasion after a few weeks, anything is possible. However, if I were Sleepy Joe I would be on the phone with China making trade deals to ensure Russia is economically strangled. After a few months of that the oligarchs will have Putin sent to gulag. But, with the current level of incompetence which started Jan 20th 2017 and still continues to this day, anything is possible. Sure, Sleepy Joe may not be as bad as Trump, but he is still absolutely abysmal IMO. Either Joe or Donald, both could not handle what is going on today. We need an FDR or Eisenhower at the helm right now, instead we got the guy from the old folks home who thinks someone stole his slippers while they are on his damn feet.

For anyone interested, there's an interesting discussion regarding the Russia-Ukraine issue up on YT. It's a conversation with MattTaibbi and Katrina Vanden Heuvel, both outstanding real journalists who have deep experience covering Russian news (Taibbi lived there for several years) and much disgust for MSM. A chunk of the conversation covers the mainstream media's mishandling of this topic (as they mishandle most topics). I don't think any new revelations are here for those of you following all this closely, but for people who want to just get a basic look at the situation this is a great resource. Matt Taibbi is the best non-partisan journalist out there (he's on substack), whereas Katrina Vanden Heuvel has deep progressive roots but doesn't bring them into the conversation (thankfully):

https://youtu.be/v5vKCkWPNDg

Edited by 1975NQ

13 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Economically this could potentially crush Russia, especially as Vlad's narcissism just wrote a big check he simply cannot cash. When he directly and obviously insulted President Xi and China by first making a deal, and then reneging on it, he lost his only somewhat ally in the process. So now Russia has both the West & China quite upset. If Russia is locked out of the two largest markets in the world, plus the third (most of Europe), how he is going to keep Russia afloat? Sure Russia has the gas but that gas was more a convenience to Europe, not a necessity. Europe can and is just buying their fuel from the World Market, just like us. 

Who knows, you may be right and Sleepy Joe and Xi will give in and be cool with the invasion after a few weeks, anything is possible. However, if I were Sleepy Joe I would be on the phone with China making trade deals to ensure Russia is economically strangled. After a few months of that the oligarchs will have Putin sent to gulag. But, with the current level of incompetence which started Jan 20th 2017 and still continues to this day, anything is possible. Sure, Sleepy Joe may not be as bad as Trump, but he is still absolutely abysmal IMO. Either Joe or Donald, both could not handle what is going on today. We need an FDR or Eisenhower at the helm right now, instead we got the guy from the old folks home who thinks someone stole his slippers while they are on his damn feet.

China arguably needs Russia even more than Europe does to meet energy demands. Russia just signed a deal to supply China with 100 million tons of coal over the coming years and that deal alone will minimize Chinese criticism of the invasion. US criticism of the invasion is rank hypocrisy given Biden's direct connections to corruption there. Sleepy Joe and his impotent administration will wag their fingers and virtue signal but what's done is done -- Putin's taking it and he will take all of it. 

2 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

Ukraine in flames, Vlad and Xi licking their chops. But, but climate change..

Can't hold more than one thought in that head of yours at a time heh? 

Honestly, with your avatar and little quip at the bottom of your posts, I am hoping your posts are hyperbolic sarcasm as I find it very hard to believe anyone could be so silly and thick.

I come to this message board to avoid politics, not get slapped in the face with it. If you want to talk about those topics, please start a dedicated thread for it so I then avoid it, just like I do the thread about the Big Nasty.

I liked this thread the way it was before when people were complaining about shitty TV commercials. 

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

where the video loop of joe biden with the hook from Howya Like Me Now! playin ova and ova!

Enough of your non-stop political BS, again, you and your peanut gallery dopes are contaminating yet another thread. How about you crawl back to the COVID thread where you belong with all the other ingrates.

2 hours ago, Electrophile said:

I come to this message board to avoid politics, not get slapped in the face with it. If you want to talk about those topics, please start a dedicated thread for it so I then avoid it, just like I do the thread about the Big Nasty.

I liked this thread the way it was before when people were complaining about shitty TV commercials. 

It'll get locked before long.