For Your Life --- Snorting?

dmamam

First let me say I used to be on these forums a few years ago, but I forgot my login info...

Anyways, I just dropped $100 on some high quality earphones... and of course I'm breaking them in with some Led Zeppelin. Everything sounds great, I hear things I never heard before. But, in For Your Life, right at 5:30 and lasting about 5-6 seconds, I can hear snorting (like someone pretending to be a pig...) . A quick google search didn't come up with anything, but I didn't try for very long.

So,

1. Am I crazy?

2. Is this something you all know about, and I'm about to feel like an idiot?

3. Did I discover something new?

4. other?

BTW, this is from the Complete Studio Recordings version of Presence.

For Your Life is about a friend of Robert's who was into drugs and For Your Life is Robert's plea to get him off drugs. I think it represents snorting cocaine or anything else that is snortable.

You do hear snorting, you aren't an idiot because I thought the same thing at first. No you aren't crazy.

Welcome!

The song seems pro-cocaine to me (though I haven't 'analyzed' the lyrics). I was a little surprised they played it for the first time at the O2 in this day and age but hey, Led Zep is a party band and cocaine is a party drug.

The song was really against the entire lifestyle they were living. It was not just against drugs although that was a part of it.

You said I was the only, With my lemon in your hand

Exhibition is your habit, Emotion second hand.

Had to pull away to save me, Maybe next time around

And she said, 'don't you want it?

Don't you want cocaine-cocaine-cocaine

Hadn't planned to, could not stand to try it, fry it, na na na yeah.

I think this about having an encounter with a girl then getting introduced to cocaine and he didn't like it.

I think the last verse is a message to Page.

And now your stage is empty, bring down the curtain, baby please.

Fold up your show

Hadn't planned to, Could not stand to fry in it

Hadn't planned it, I over-ran it, (fryin)

For your life, For your life.

First let me say I used to be on these forums a few years ago, but I forgot my login info...

Anyways, I just dropped $100 on some high quality earphones... and of course I'm breaking them in with some Led Zeppelin. Everything sounds great, I hear things I never heard before. But, in For Your Life, right at 5:30 and lasting about 5-6 seconds, I can hear snorting (like someone pretending to be a pig...) . A quick google search didn't come up with anything, but I didn't try for very long.

So,

1. Am I crazy?

4. other?

You`re an idiot.

Ever since i got on this Forum. I never ever get to listen to anybodys else while on the computer. As soon as i start reading this thread i had to play for your life. Yeah there is other parts of the song you can hear this pig noise. atleast they fixed that squeaky pedal.

Anybody who thinks cocaine wasn't a major presence in the Zeppelin camp is either delusional or naive. I'm not judging, I'm just saying it was there in a major way. At least with certain members. Others just dug alcohol and spliffs. Lots of spliffs. Joints, hash, joints greased with hash oil. Hey, it was the 70s. If you weren't there, you couldn't imagine the culture. It was the norm.

The song was really against the entire lifestyle they were living. It was not just against drugs although that was a part of it.

You said I was the only, With my lemon in your hand

Exhibition is your habit, Emotion second hand.

Had to pull away to save me, Maybe next time around

And she said, 'don't you want it?

Don't you want cocaine-cocaine-cocaine

Hadn't planned to, could not stand to try it, fry it, na na na yeah.

I think this about having an encounter with a girl then getting introduced to cocaine and he didn't like it.

I think the last verse is a message to Page.

And now your stage is empty, bring down the curtain, baby please.

Fold up your show

Hadn't planned to, Could not stand to fry in it

Hadn't planned it, I over-ran it, (fryin)

For your life, For your life.

Interesting point of view but I think he was just trying to set boundaries he could live with; he's sensual but he must remain true to his heart. I don't see it as him talking to Page, however; it seems more that he's talking to a woman.

So,

1. Am I crazy?

4. other?

That is an interesting first question, I must say.

Yes that is snorting, who knows why. I also thought the song was about freebasing. We'll probably never know for sure. Even if you had an opportunity to ask them, they probably wouldn't remember.

Interesting point of view but I think he was just trying to set boundaries he could live with; he's sensual but he must remain true to his heart. I don't see it as him talking to Page, however; it seems more that he's talking to a woman.

They (meaning LZ) had a woman in their camp who held and administered all the drugs while in the road.

I read that in the LZ bio by Richie Yorke.

They (meaning LZ) had a woman in their camp who held and administered all the drugs while in the road.

I read that in the LZ bio by Richie Yorke.

There are rumours of a 'coke lady' on the '73 US tour but I've never heard of any confirmation of such a woman existing outside the realms of Hammer of the Gods.

i always thought the line was

.. and she said , don't you want a cupcake.

(as in eating at the y or something)

i always thought the song was about groupies losing interest in them . (fictionally or otherwise) and he was pleading for the "sick again" days to return.

Anybody who thinks cocaine wasn't a major presence in the Zeppelin camp is either delusional or naive. I'm not judging, I'm just saying it was there in a major way. At least with certain members. Others just dug alcohol and spliffs. Lots of spliffs. Joints, hash, joints greased with hash oil. Hey, it was the 70s. If you weren't there, you couldn't imagine the culture. It was the norm.

Those were the days....I never knew. :(:lol:

There are rumours of a 'coke lady' on the '73 US tour but I've never heard of any confirmation of such a woman existing outside the realms of Hammer of the Gods.

It was written in Led Zeppelin: The Definitive Biography by Ritchie Yorke as well.

Confirmed or no, it's in there.

I agree -- I was there and it was the norm. Of course LZ was involved -- they were a major part of that culture.

I don't know what the song is "about" but I would lean toward the idea of helping a friend....at the time most of us had friends that needed help in this area.

Of course, this is just my opinion. :):)

I got my box set disc out to listen for myself and it's the first time I've realised that some of the tracks must have been edited because FYL is only 3 1/2 minutes long.

Wierd.

FYL from my boxset version is 6:20.

Archived