First LP/CD or Cassette album bought

leddy

First album I ever owned: Mariah Carey's "Daydream" (cassette). My mom got it for me for my 10th birthday, which was July 1, 1997.

That was the first one I remembered buying, but then I went back and looked at all the stuff I had and I was wrong. I bought a Genesis tape when I was about 9 thinking it was something really new and cool sounding. I later found out it was twice as old as I was!

Well it was my first purchase on 45 although it was given as a gift to the first girl I had a crush on. :wub: "Sugar Sugar" The Archies

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mGL4btEIoTo

My best friend (who passed in august) had that and "1910 Fruitgum (?) Company" - the song: "Yummy, Yummy,Yummy, I got love in my tummy". Please tell me someone else has heard of this...he and i used to laugh our asses off about that one! :D

1st 45.... Pictures Of Lilly : The Who

1st Cd..... The Cry Of Love : Hendrix

Anyone remember being able to buy LPs in Mono or Stereo ? :D

Reading your post reminded me of one of my "rare" recordings (sorry, kinda off-topic)...it was a studio outtake of "All my love" on "Studio Daze"...if you turn it up loud enough at the beginning, you can clearly hear Bonzo fiddling about on his kit (before the take starts) and then he sings a line, that line, "pictures of lily..." then you hear his cackling laugh...then the take starts!

Ah, the cry of love...excellent (have you acquired "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" yet?)

And yes, i remember "mono" records...i remember seeing them in my dad's record collection. He had things like the soundtrack to "World at War" series and the navy counterpart, what was it called? Somethng at Sea...anyone? Nevermind, it just came to me : Victory at Sea!

I had that yummy yummy 45 ! :D

I listened to as much bubblegum as I chewed !! I have cavities in my brain because of it !!! hahahaha....

I hear that! The pathetic thing for me is that when i was 13 (first 8 months of '77) I was still listening to bubblegum, too. Of course, I blew (play on words not intended) my only chance to see LZ- St.Louis, 15 April, 1977. A goof of collossal proportions! I rememer seeing on the local news about "the longhairs" camping out at the arena for three days before tickets went on sale...and they sold out in three hours!

That year I did discover the beatles, though, which helped to uh, change my musical views...and soon enough I was one of "the longhairs"!

cheech and chong "big bambo", vinyl. my mom wanted to break it. so i hid it for years! no i didn't smoke the big paper, it had no glue. besides if i did, i wouldn't still have it.

one lid or two lids? one lid or two lids?

I found a copy of this in the used vinyl section of a local record store a couple years ago, rolling paper still intact.

I found a copy of this in the used vinyl section of a local record store a couple years ago, rolling paper still intact.

can anyone recall what cheech and chong album had "earache my eye" on it? That might have been one of my first albums...now that someone shook up the cobwebs!

can anyone recall what cheech and chong album had "earache my eye" on it? That might have been one of my first albums...now that someone shook up the cobwebs!

I don't recall off the top of my head either but you can try searching the song database at AllMusic.com.

No rhyme or reason but my 1st was Edgar Winter's "Road Work"...a live album with Rick Derringer and guest appearance by Johnny W. All i remember is a GREAT version of Tobacco Road and a wicked Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo with Johnny on lead.

Don't know where it went to but thinking about it makes me want to find it again. I was about 10 years old and most likely thought that the cover looked cool.

No rhyme or reason but my 1st was Edgar Winter's "Road Work"...a live album with Rick Derringer and guest appearance by Johnny W. All i remember is a GREAT version of Tobacco Road and a wicked Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo with Johnny on lead.

Don't know where it went to but thinking about it makes me want to find it again. I was about 10 years old and most likely thought that the cover looked cool.

A very cool album

The first album that I ever owned was given to me as a birthday gift: Rubber Soul

The first album that I bought on my own was: LZ I

The first records that I bought were 45's - Stones (e.g., As Tears Go By, Satisfaction, Lady Jane, Let's Spend the Night Together :D ) and Beatles (e.g., Paperback Writer, Penny Lane, Nowhere Man).

Thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that the actual first album I bought with my own money was this:

61339.jpg

On cassette.

Apparently it was released in 1995 so I was only 9. ^_^

As for the first single, it's a bit hard to pinpoint the actual one...I know I bought:

Chumbawamba - Tubthumping

The Seahorses - Blinded By The Sun

Will Smith - Men In Black

On cassette because I still have them. They will have been among the first.

When my mum got me a CD player she bought me Texas's White On Blonde album to play on it, and I think I bought North Country Boy by The Charlatans and Tsunami by Manic Street Preachers the next day. Because I didn't really like Texas.

There was also Closed For Business by Mansun that I remember buying during a Pontins holiday...I was probably about 11 or something?

Oh, I had Be Here Now by Oasis on cassette too...I got that when it came out. Not sure where that fits in though!

I remember all the records, I just don't remember in what order I got 'em!

I think we had this on last forum, anyhow I will kick off, maybe give alink to you tube with a song from the album to help us find out about the band if we do not know already !!.....

AC/DC Back in Black, bought in 1980 (Vinyl) when I was 14 yrs old, I had listened to lots of albums before this from my brother in law and friends but this was the first that I owned and bought !!!! The first album with Jono and also their best along with their last album with Bon Highway to hell !!

"Hells Bells" – 5:12

"Shoot to Thrill" – 5:17

"What Do You Do for Money Honey" – 3:35

"Givin' the Dog a Bone" – 3:32

"Let Me Put My Love into You" – 4:15

"Back in Black" – 4:15

"You Shook Me All Night Long" – 3:30

"Have a Drink on Me" – 3:59

"Shake a Leg" – 4:06

"Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution" – 4:15

Back in Black

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

As an update to my first post above , my first CD album purchase was Yes-90125 about 1986 time or near that time I got a cd player !! my first ever 45 single was Blondie - Heart of glass in 1979 !

Reading your post reminded me of one of my "rare" recordings (sorry, kinda off-topic)...it was a studio outtake of "All my love" on "Studio Daze"...if you turn it up loud enough at the beginning, you can clearly hear Bonzo fiddling about on his kit (before the take starts) and then he sings a line, that line, "pictures of lily..." then you hear his cackling laugh...then the take starts!

[/quote

edited on 30 jan to add:

..listening to studio daze now. "pictures of lily" is at the beginning of "No Quarter" 1st take...awesome in it's sound quality and performance and] the first take of three beautiful ones...live and in the studio!

Archived