Page Interview in Japan

stairway71

Positivity is to be comended, as long as you don't get carried away.......looking on this forum you'd think Pagey had just announced more dates. B)

True enough. ;) Ah well....

He is looking super though, isn't he? I said in another thread that I think they're all looking better than ever, and he certainly is proving me right. :)

True enough. ;) Ah well....

He is looking super though, isn't he? I said in another thread that I think they're all looking better than ever, and he certainly is proving me right. :)

Yeah he looks great. Very dignified.

Mad, thanks for posting these pics! I was just about to post the Yahoo! news story which included these pics. They're gorgeous, aren't they?! Jimmy looks really great!!

:D

You're welcome, EBD! I actually woke up my husband early this morning so I could read about Jimmy's press conference and, hopefully, see some recent pics of him. I wasn't disappointed! :D

Here's another one for you (this one squeezes my heart a bit b/c I clearly see back to the Jimmy of 35 years ago):

JPTokyoIVJan08.jpg

I woke up this morning to see there was a gloriously brillant rainbow arching over the mist onto the mountains outside my window! Then I see this , all I can say is: Believe --and miracles shall abound.Now this is directed to :Knebby---yestarday I was going to respond to a coment you made on another thread-----you said something about the Klaxons on nme ,said "The Mothership" was the worst album of the year-----And yestarday ---I was going to say :gravities rainbow----Today ,I see why I waited. The Mother-CSP-March5,1964 --IsIs Navigium(&all the others)

You're welcome, EBD! I actually woke up my husband early this morning so I could read about Jimmy's press conference and, hopefully, see some recent pics of him. I wasn't disappointed! :D

Here's another one for you (this one squeezes my heart a bit b/c I clearly see back to the Jimmy of 35 years ago):

It always makes me glad to see him looking happy and healthy. :D

English rock band Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page poses for photographers during a press conference to promote the new Zeppelin release "Mothership" in Tokyo Monday, Jan. 28, 2008. Page says that after burning up the stage in London last month with a one-night reunion concert he is ready to take the legendary band out on a world tour. But, he said, it's not going to happen anytime soon - the singer has other plans. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara)

JPTokyoIIIJan08.jpg

JPTokyoIIJan08.jpg

JPTokyoJan08.jpg

Led Zeppelin Guitarist Wants World Tour

By ERIC TALMADGE – 1 hour ago

TOKYO (AP) — Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said Monday he was ready to take the iconic band on a world tour after burning up the stage at last month's reunion concert in London. But it probably won't be before September.

"The amount of work we put into O2 was what you would normally put into a world tour anyway," Page, 64, said of the intense rehearsing the band did for the Dec. 10 concert at London's O2 Arena.

The band's three surviving members — Page, singer Robert Plant and bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones — were joined at the sold-out benefit show by the late John Bonham's son Jason on drums.

Page, who was in Japan to promote the new Zeppelin release, "Mothership," said the two-hour-plus concert was proof that Led Zeppelin can still perform at its best.

He said the band, which formed in 1968, was ready musically to get back together and take it out on a wider run, but it was not clear when it would go on tour as the singer had other plans.

"Robert Plant has a parallel project and he is busy with that until September," Page said.

Plant and bluegrass star Alison Krauss will begin their world tour with a run of shows in the southern U.S. this spring. The two released an album in October called "Raising Sand" that debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard chart in the U.S. The duo will tour Europe in May before returning for North American shows still to be announced for June and July.

Page said the band set their standards very high before agreeing to do the reunion, their first in 20 years. Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after the elder Bonham's death.

Page said they rehearsed for weeks, apprehensive that the cohesion they had in the 1970s when they were at their peak might be hard to rediscover.

"We wanted people who might not have even been alive in 1980 when we finished to understand what we were," he said.

Page said all went well until he broke a finger in three places, forcing the band to postpone the show for several weeks.

"But we did the show, and it was great," he said. "It was instant in terms of chemistry."

I must say he looks very good! I love the photos.

I read about his press conference on Yahoo!News and the headline was the "LZ Guitarist Wants World Tour". I figured the board would be rift with speculation and interpretation of Jimmy's statements...I guess I wasn't wrong. :lol:

I figured the board would be rift with speculation and interpretation of Jimmy's statements...I guess I wasn't wrong. :lol:

Oh, of course! Once one ignores the fact he did not say he wants a World Tour, nor that there will ever be one, the possibilities are infinite. Just wish upon a rainbow and click your heels three times.

Oh, of course! Once one ignores the fact he did not say he wants a World Tour, nor that there will ever be one, the possibilities are infinite. Just wish upon a rainbow and click your heels three times.

COME ON NOW STEVE IS THAT CYNICISM TO BALANCE ALL THAT ENLIGHTENMENT YOU KEEP ADVERTISING?!

COME ON NOW STEVE IS THAT CYNICISM TO BALANCE ALL THAT ENLIGHTENMENT YOU KEEP ADVERTISING?!

It's not cynicism, it's a reality check for anyone who believes they're playing five nights at Giants Stadium, the summer festival circuit, World Tour t-shirts are being produced in Asia... The man can't give a press conference without a million people feeling entitled to say what it meant. He has spoken but few seem to have heard what he said.

What news? He's promoting Mothership - that's all.

It amazes me how people are interpreting this as an announcement. :blink:

I agree..

To me, this is nothing really new... its a positive thing for him to say, but not anything we haven't heard before...

Billboard Magazine

led_zeppelin_03l.gif

Page: No Chance Of Zeppelin Tour Until September

Don't expect to see Led Zeppelin on the road near you this summer. The current incarnation of the veteran rock act, which reunited for a triumphant Dec. 10 concert at London's 02 Arena, has no plans to play live -- until at least after September, says guitarist Jimmy Page.

Speaking in Tokyo today (Jan. 28), Page said, "The amount of work that we put into the 02, both for ourselves rehearsing and also for the staging of it, was probably what you'd put into a world tour anyway."

He noted that Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant "also has a parallel project running [with Alison Krauss], and he's really busy with that project, certainly until September. So I can't give you any news on anything at the moment." Page and Krauss released their album "Raising Sand" on Rounder late last year and begin a world tour in Louisville on April 20.

Page admitted that the scale of media interest about Led Zeppelin's O2 performance put the band under a certain amount of pressure during rehearsals, but insisted the Led Zep chemistry was still there.

"We'd all agreed to take it very, very seriously and have a really good time at the same time," Page said. "We worked out the songs we were going to play, and it was exhilarating, it was fantastic. Every week was a week to look forward to."

Page was speaking during Japanese promotion for the band's recent "Mothership" (Swan Song/Atlantic) compilation. Asked if loyal fans who had bought Led Zeppelin product in various formats over the years should buy "Mothership," Page replied, "Please don't -- I don't want you to buy it."

He explained that "Mothership" was designed to replace the 1999 compilations "Early Days" and "Latter Days," whose packaging and presentation Page was dissatisfied with.

"The overall packaging just did not have the quality of what we expect from Led Zeppelin and what I think everyone else expects from Led Zeppelin," Page said. "It just made sense to have something done so we don't have to think about it again."

Asked if loyal fans who had bought Led Zeppelin product in various formats over the years should buy "Mothership," Page replied, "Please don't -- I don't want you to buy it."

He explained that "Mothership" was designed to replace the 1999 compilations "Early Days" and "Latter Days," whose packaging and presentation Page was dissatisfied with.

"The overall packaging just did not have the quality of what we expect from Led Zeppelin and what I think everyone else expects from Led Zeppelin," Page said. "It just made sense to have something done so we don't have to think about it again."

Wow!

Billboard Magazine

[...]

Page was speaking during Japanese promotion for the band's recent "Mothership" (Swan Song/Atlantic) compilation. Asked if loyal fans who had bought Led Zeppelin product in various formats over the years should buy "Mothership," Page replied, "Please don't -- I don't want you to buy it."

Wow!

Songbird, I know that there are more than a few of us on this board from back in the LZ days who are not surprised that Jimmy said that. We could choose to spend our time on other bands' forums, posting our memories, etc. but b/c Zep were who they were - and still are - after all these years, we are here. :beer:

Archived