What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

3 hours ago, JTM said:

I watched a couple of episodes from that so called "Mysteries" series, hated it, what a complete waste of time. Don't ask me which episodes because I've forgotten already.

The latest one is good.  The case in France of Dupont de Lugonnes, who killed his entire family, buried them behind the house and then left on camera leaving the cops a trail, ending with him walking into the French woods near the French riviera, after dumping his car at a hotel he stayed at in 2011.  The last sighting of him (and carrying the rifle into the woods, making it look like a murder suicide).  He went through so much to fool the cops, its not likely he took his life but its possible. A massive search of the woods was done over several months. He is the most wanted man in France.  He had a great family.  A wife, two sons, one biological and a daughter that was a model.  The reasoning behind it is still crazy.  He was in great debt. But no money was to be gained by this.  No life insurance.  No reason.  He gave them sleeping pills and put two 22 caliber bullets in each as they slept.  It took suspicious neighbors and about 3 weeks to find the bodies.  The cops fount them on the 6th trip to the house. Crazy case.  Like Jon Bonet but no doubt who the killer is.  Some suspect he is hiding in Latin America.  His English is good and his Spanish is passible.  He even paid the rest of the years tuition at the Catholic  schools the kids were attending!  He took out about 30 Euro's on camera on an ATM that last day spotted.  Very very strange

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Hulu comedies - Happy Endings, Party Down, Mom

Hulu mysteries - Elementary, Veronica Mars, Bones, NYPD Blue

Hulu is commercial free for US12/month. Worth the money to us not to have to watch commercials.

Peacock - Premier League Soccer\Football. They are taking over the Premier League package that was on NBC Sports Gold. Five matches this weekend and should be 140 matches next year. Free as a Comcast customer.

ESPN+ - UFC and tons of soccer\football (Serie A, English Football League Championship, and top tier league matches from Denmark, Sweden, Australia. Also lots of US soccer.) Best US$50/year I could imagine spending on sports.

22 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The latest one is good.  The case in France of Dupont de Lugonnes, who killed his entire family, buried them behind the house and then left on camera leaving the cops a trail, ending with him walking into the French woods near the French riviera, after dumping his car at a hotel he stayed at in 2011.  The last sighting of him (and carrying the rifle into the woods, making it look like a murder suicide).  He went through so much to fool the cops, its not likely he took his life but its possible. A massive search of the woods was done over several months. He is the most wanted man in France.  He had a great family.  A wife, two sons, one biological and a daughter that was a model.  The reasoning behind it is still crazy.  He was in great debt. But no money was to be gained by this.  No life insurance.  No reason.  He gave them sleeping pills and put two 22 caliber bullets in each as they slept.  It took suspicious neighbors and about 3 weeks to find the bodies.  The cops fount them on the 6th trip to the house. Crazy case.  Like Jon Bonet but no doubt who the killer is.  Some suspect he is hiding in Latin America.  His English is good and his Spanish is passible.  He even paid the rest of the years tuition at the Catholic  schools the kids were attending!  He took out about 30 Euro's on camera on an ATM that last day spotted.  Very very strange

I did start that French episode, just before meal time a few days ago  (I'll get back to it). I have remembered one of the  couple I saw. The episode about the woman who disappeared from the hair salon, I take you have seen it. Anyway, I think the husband is guilty as hell, his smugness is revolting, talking about how he loved her, bollox I say. Titling this series as "Mysteries" is a bit of a misnomer, not much mystery imo.

You saw the Spike Island gig wow jealous. I think they were one of the few bands of that era that could have gone stratospheric. Love Spreads is one of my all time favourite tracks. Hated the term Britpop, it killed that rock vibe that was developing many bands could not shake that term off and the Roses lack of trust in anybody (possibly even themselves) their inability after the first LP to really cope with the  rapid increasing interest, the writers block and high expectations from fans and critics led to the implosion. Interesting to place them next to Led Zeppelin who somhow throughout all the chaos still released great records. SR are the only band I can think of where writers block did for them (they kept trying to get stuff recorded over the years and the latest output was patchy to say the least).

Still we got 1 and 1/2 great lp's, some magical singles and some ledgendary gigs.

1 hour ago, anniemouse said:

You saw the Spike Island gig wow jealous. I think they were one of the few bands of that era that could have gone stratospheric. Love Spreads is one of my all time favourite tracks. Hated the term Britpop, it killed that rock vibe that was developing many bands could not shake that term off and the Roses lack of trust in anybody (possibly even themselves) their inability after the first LP to really cope with the  rapid increasing interest, the writers block and high expectations from fans and critics led to the implosion. Interesting to place them next to Led Zeppelin who somhow throughout all the chaos still released great records. SR are the only band I can think of where writers block did for them (they kept trying to get stuff recorded over the years and the latest output was patchy to say the least).

Still we got 1 and 1/2 great lp's, some magical singles and some ledgendary gigs.

Yep sure did. Great day it was. Paul Oakenfold DJ'd and a really great vibe to the day. I love the first album and still have all the 12" singles and I remember when the 2nd album came out, they said they were at Rockfield listening to Zeppelin at full volume and you can tell with the more rock sound they had on that album.

One thing about Spike was the collective squirm when Ian Brown started singing  I Wanna Be Adored !! Flat, off key and downright awful. But after we accepted he couldn't sing, we sang and danced and thoroughly had a good time. 

At the time I moved away from rock music to more dance and I can name the albums which did it for me:

Primal Scream: Screamadelica

The Prodigy 1st album

The Orb: Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

The KLF

Ozrics first 2 albums

Orbitals iconic Glastonbury appearance

Then DJ's Frankie Knuckles, Paul Oakenfold, Sasha - the list is endless. 

23 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Rockfield: The Studio on the Farm ||`FulL`MoViE-`HD

Hope that helps Rainbowelf.

The Stone Roses were an incredibley talented but deeply unstable band. Struggled with the writing/recording process, with each other and the labels.

The story of the keyboard player of the Charletons was heartbreaking.

Ozzy Robert and Dave from Hawkwind were amazing. The family who set the studio up seemed incredibly excentric but lovable.

Thank you Anniemouse.

Your welcome RainbowElf.

Chill great to read your tales from Spike Island. You can hear the influence of Zep on Love Spreads (although it is the more psych end of their work rather than the rock) You do wonder if they had had the ability to just mature on their own terms just like many bands in the 1960's/1970's had the chance to where their careers would have gone but we will never know now. In an alternative universe Zep have done a cover of Love Spreads in my head.

13 minutes ago, anniemouse said:

Your welcome RainbowElf.

Chill great to read your tales from Spike Island. You can hear the influence of Zep on Love Spreads (although it is the more psych end of their work rather than the rock) You do wonder if they had had the ability to just mature on their own terms just like many bands in the 1960's/1970's had the chance to where their careers would have gone but we will never know now. In an alternative universe Zep have done a cover of Love Spreads in my head.

Anniemouse, there is only 2 miniutes and it's trailer, not the whole movie.

8 hours ago, anniemouse said:

My Bloody Valentine comes to mind. After their second album "Loveless" Kevin Shields just couldn't come up with anything to his satisfaction. It was an even longer gap between "Loveless" and their next album "MBV" than the gap between Boston's "Don't Look Back" and their third album.

My Bloody Valentine were a band I sort of missed as I was going through a really bad patch in my personal life. Listening now they sounded amazing interesting to note that they too had the dreaded writers block.

Edited by anniemouse

On 7/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, JTM said:

I did start that French episode, just before meal time a few days ago  (I'll get back to it). I have remembered one of the  couple I saw. The episode about the woman who disappeared from the hair salon, I take you have seen it. Anyway, I think the husband is guilty as hell, his smugness is revolting, talking about how he loved her, bollox I say. Titling this series as "Mysteries" is a bit of a misnomer, not much mystery imo.

I agree about the husband.  He no doubt paid someone because he would have had a tough time doing it alone given the 13 minute time line?  The other girl was killed by her bitch mother.  The French one is the best by far.  Dupont de Ligonnes. The most wanted man in France.  You really need to watch the rest.  That one is like Jon Bonet except we know who did it.  But the ending is very strange.  Its a great job by Sophie the French journalist who is the narrater.  Her and the cop who retired are still on this one. They want to know what happened to this bastard and so do I

On 7/26/2020 at 4:07 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I agree about the husband.  He no doubt paid someone because he would have had a tough time doing it alone given the 13 minute time line?  The other girl was killed by her bitch mother.  The French one is the best by far.  Dupont de Ligonnes. The most wanted man in France.  You really need to watch the rest.  That one is like Jon Bonet except we know who did it.  But the ending is very strange.  Its a great job by Sophie the French journalist who is the narrater.  Her and the cop who retired are still on this one. They want to know what happened to this bastard and so do I

I finished the "French" episode, the only real mystery is the prime suspect is still on the run. Did not think much of it, gave it (the series) a thumb down rating. I'm not going to bother with the episodes I've not watched.

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I finished the "French" episode, the only real mystery is the prime suspect is still on the run. Did not think much of it, gave it (the series) a thumb down rating. I'm not going to bother with the episodes I've not watched.

Hey man. Have you caught the Sky Doc on Laurel Canyon? Part 1 was last Saturday with Part 2 this weekend. An excellent insight into 60's California

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Hey man. Have you caught the Sky Doc on Laurel Canyon? Part 1 was last Saturday with Part 2 this weekend. An excellent insight into 60's California

I have, I watched both episodes at the weekend, both on catch up (fewer adverts). Enjoyed them immensely  the first a little more than the second. They are on my Sky+ box so I'll watch them again. So many artists featured that I love. I did feel that the odd one out in there was The Mamas and Papas, part of that Canyon scene but their music is definitely middle of the road compared to the other acts, not my cup of tea, one of the few acts I own nothing by. 

Can't wait to see this.

Edited by JTM

On 7/30/2020 at 9:34 AM, JTM said:

It seems he is alive?  But its not a sure thing.  He did not have much money.  Very strange, the whole thing.  The motive is just crazy.  I hope they catch the bastard if he is alive.  They wanted to get this out in the USA and Latin America.  Obviously the interest is huge in France.  As far as a thumbs down?  Its a  crime investigation.  It is what it is.  Its not art or entertainment so I do not understand your harsh criticism on a crime show.  It is what it is.  I thought the French did a pretty good job of passing the info along.  The way this guy took off is very baffling.  He did not have much to live on.  So if he is alive, i agree with the woman that thinks he may have boarded a ship in the Riviera.  But he could very well have killed himself also but it does not look that way given how much he went through to cover up the crime.

15 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

It seems he is alive?  But its not a sure thing.  He did not have much money.  Very strange, the whole thing.  The motive is just crazy.  I hope they catch the bastard if he is alive.  They wanted to get this out in the USA and Latin America.  Obviously the interest is huge in France.  As far as a thumbs down?  Its a  crime investigation.  It is what it is.  Its not art or entertainment so I do not understand your harsh criticism on a crime show.  It is what it is.  I thought the French did a pretty good job of passing the info along.  The way this guy took off is very baffling.  He did not have much to live on.  So if he is alive, i agree with the woman that thinks he may have boarded a ship in the Riviera.  But he could very well have killed himself also but it does not look that way given how much he went through to cover up the crime.

I don't think it's strange at all, guy murders his family, hides the bodies, makes it look as though they all went away and then goes on the run. His motive, well he was clearly a fraud, (seemingly so was his father) been living a lie for years, living above his means. When it all finally came crashing down he probably had some kind of mental breakdown, in desperation murdered his family, he couldn't take the shame. People do strange things when they are mentally ill. As for the thumb down, that's the Netflix rating system, I didn't like what I saw of the series so I gave it thumb down, if they still had their previous star rating I would have given it three stars out of five, neither liked  or disliked it.