The Doors Thread

eagle87

I love their music.

The thing that bugs me is that there are some people who claim to like THE DOORS and, for example, wear The Doors t-shirt with only Jim Morrison on it. My opinion is that he was the weakest member of the band, his personality is <_< and I don't see him as the best looking rock star.

Fave song...? Uncensored The End.

I have read almost every post written on this great topic. I am a big "Doors" fan. If I had to choose my five favorite Doors songs they would be, in no particular, order:

Texas Radio and the Big Beat

Peace Frog

Waiting for the Sun

When the Musics Over

Five To One

• 1 month later...

Started listening to the Doors recently. Their debut album is amazing !! Any suggestions on which album I should continue with ?

I would suggest getting Strange Days next which is their second album and was also released the same year as the debut, 1967. I would say just buy the albums in order in which they were released. With Jim, there are six studio albums and one live album but a ton of bootlegs out there. Let us know which one you buy next. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest getting Strange Days next which is their second album and was also released the same year as the debut, 1967. I would say just buy the albums in order in which they were released. With Jim, there are six studio albums and one live album but a ton of bootlegs out there. Let us know which one you buy next. :)

I decided to go for L.A Woman (Riders on the Storm and the title song lured me in :D ). After a few listens I can say it's one heck of an album. The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) is pretty awesome :D

I decided to go for L.A Woman (Riders on the Storm and the title song lured me in :D ). After a few listens I can say it's one heck of an album. The Wasp (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) is pretty awesome :D

And Morrison sounds pretty good for being recorded in a bathroom for most of the disc, or so I have read. Musically I do like L.A. Woman the most. You should get Morrison Hotel next, if you really like L.A. Woman. Enjoy! :)

If you get that box set with the DVDs, there's an extra verse in "Cars Hiss By My Window" and an additional intro to "L.A. Woman". The CDs in the set have the original mixes while the DVDs have extras.

I used the Search option to look under "Other Bands / Music", entered "Doors" as the keyword and found the original thread right away. It's really not that difficult.

Then just PM him and explain it to him. You don't have to make an ass out of yourself trying to prove you're so much smarter. Get some frickin' therapy for your anger issues.

Then just PM him and explain it to him. You don't have to make an ass out of yourself trying to prove you're so much smarter. Get some frickin' therapy for your anger issues.

I don't want to come off as a jerk, but you quoted something from early 2008, just sayn' the issue had already been put to rest.

Edited by Rock N' Rollin' Man

• 5 months later...

The PBS American Masters treatment of The Doors is scheduled to air in the US on Wednesday, May 12th, 2010 from 9-10:30pm (Central Time).

The Doors: When You're Strange

Johnny Depp narrates this phenomenal history of the Doors, the rock group responsible for such classics as "Light My Fire" and "L.A. Woman." It utilizes only footage shot from the band's 1965 formation to singer Jim Morrison's 1971 death.

duration: 90 min

details: [HD] [CC] [sTEREO]

The American Masters Website has links for the video interviews with Robby Krieger and John Densmore, and a link to the article "About The Film".

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paul Rodgers Was Lined Up As Jim Morrison's Replacement

Paul Rodgers missed out on the chance to replace Jim Morrison as The Doors frontman because he was living in a country retreat and the legendary band struggled to track him down.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/paul-rodgers-was-lined-up-as-jim-morrisons-replacement_1209701

The most innovative of all American bands, and according to me the best of them, and one of the best bands in history.If Jim Morrison hadn't died, they could have gone much further, I think.

Thanks to The End, Apocalypse Now became more than a masterpiece, it became THE movie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping up this thread because hell, it should be on the main page. I've always been a huge fan of The Doors, and I go through these cycles where I listen to them a lot, then a little, then a lot, etc,. I pulled out my LA Woman vinyl I got from my dad, and damn if it doesn't sound good. If only Jim took better care of himself.

I still say Riders On The Storm is one of the greatest rock songs ever written.

I have some friends that totally dismiss The Doors and refer to Morrison as a drunken, rambling lout. While that may very well be true, I still enjoy listening to their music and believe they had a profound impact on rock n' roll. On the other hand, Ray Manzarek has a way of getting on my very last nerve.

He was absolutely a drunken, rambling lout, but his drunken ramblings were amazing. Not many people can pull that off. I do agree with you re: Ray Manzarek. He's always had a sky-high ego, and now that's he's appointed himself the curator of The Doors legacy, it's gotten worse. Talented keyboardist/writer, but that gets overshadowed by his mouth.

BTW, one of my favorite underrated Doors songs is Soul Kitchen. Great bass work by Larry Knechtel.

• 2 weeks later...