• John Edwards
    • Mike Huckabee
    • John McCain
    • Barack Obama
    • Ron Paul
    • Mitt Romney
    • Bill Richardson
    • Fred Thompson

Thanks, and what's disconcerting is that some of that rhetoric has wafted its way north of the border. I know at yesterday's Republican convention one of the speakers mocked BO for trying to garner support in Europe ('because they're not the ones voting' *cheers*) but they make it seem as if BO's trying to garner support from some irrelevant nether region, like he's looking for support from life on other planets or something. Hellloooo??? The EU, constitutional transitions notwithstanding, is a growing power house. I suspect that U.S. as the overall leading powerhouse of the last century is coming to an end, with the EU taking over. And that's just the EU....

The Euro is consistently stronger (1.00UEURO=$1.4357USD) even though the EU is in relative infancy. I don't want to get into the merits or problems of the EU itself (I have many concerns about its efficacy to serve nation members well and about its potential to become a big brother monster), and I'm not saying the transition to it becoming the next main global power will happen tomorrow (it may not happen at all, though there's historical precedent, of course, for the rise and fall and rise of nations and empires), but the US has to get better at engaging with all the other nations that are now catching up to its might. You can't credibly argue that establishing good relationships with other countries is somehow tantamount to being tainted by their ways. Establishing and maintaining good relations isn't tarnishing your pure laws, it's the basis for f o r e i g n

p o l i c y. To act like BO was simply going for a cosmetic foreign love fest is incredibly myopic and manipulative; it skews the purpose of the trip, and on a broader scale, blatantly disregards the importance of better relations with other nations.

I do not doubt that Democrats want what's best for their nation, and I do not doubt that there are many who probably disagree with at least some of the party's policies. But one tell tale sign to me about which party can lead your country in the necessary direction in the coming years is by what it expects of its supporters. There was little if any expectation of change or challenge to the Republican supporters. It's almost as if the more condensed and familiar the message, the bigger the cheers. All great leaders, ALL - Jesus, ML King Jr., Gandhi - to name but the most prominent, really brought their supporters out of their comfort zone. Now I'm NOT equating BO with any of those mentioned, but he's certainly not hiding the fact that change sometimes hurts and takes sacrifice. That's the kind of talk I'd love to hear from our next NEW PM.

That said, BO has been awfully nice, almost too above board, if there's such a thing, which brings me to the next post...

Well the example is set, that's the precedent for engaging in debate. Like you pointed out, BO was gallant about Palin's daughter being off limits, and she uses that as a weakness and goes after him fire and brimstone. Her daughter may be off limits, but the consequences of Palin's policies are there for all to see. I agree with you that BO and Biden have been too nice. Sometimes you have to show some incisors. But there's something satisfying in being tough while not having to go 'there' as far as the mud slinging is concerned. Ultimately truth is the sharpest sword, hopefully BO will unsheathe it

Excellent posts and well said! All i want to say is i don't want or expect Barack or Joe to mudsling, because frankly, both have too much class. I do want them to be honest and bring to light what is so evident to the Dems about Palin (and McCain, too, lol).

The smartest man i have ever known personally said that Palin sure has a lot of skeletons in her closet, lol. Funny thing was, before i asked him his opinion of her tonight, i was thinking about that and the Grateful Dead album! btw, I'm referring to my dad, who at 73 thinks our country is nuts to want a 72 year old for President! Lets hope people open their eyes and make the right choice this time.

Too much to ask. Frankly, I don't care about all that extraneous garbage. Focus on the issues that make up each party's platform and how the respective tickets would implement them when/if elected.

Naturally, some doofus will come by saying that we're "scared" or "nervous" or "worried" or whatever the new code word is, but let me unequivocally state now, I am none of those things. I'm not overconfident either. I am just solid in my support.

Too much to ask. Frankly, I don't care about all that extraneous garbage. Focus on the issues that make up each party's platform and how the respective tickets would implement them when/if elected.

Naturally, some doofus will come by saying that we're "scared" or "nervous" or "worried" or whatever the new code word is, but let me unequivocally state now, I am none of those things. I'm not overconfident either. I am just solid in my support.

And a good way to be regarding your support. Everyone should support they're candidate on the real issues at hand regardless of sidebar activity. Both of them have baggage just like all the previous candidates that have ever run for the position. I cannot vote in your election but given that my life will be affected no matter who wins, I'd like to think that at least he was elected on the important issues of the day

You know, like.. why let the fact that John McCain has voted with George Bush 95%

of the time interfere with you believing that McCain somehow represents "Change".

duped.. again, Pb?

B. Hussein Obama voted 97% among party lines.

91% of the votes in the senate are unanimous.

Obama voted with Bush 93% of the time.

Obama= more of the same class warfare where the weak cry and bitch and the elite make the money, spend the money, and protect this land.

How perfect it is that a man like McCain comes along at this time in history, when the greatest threat to American life is Obama.

No man, your the one who getting doped by the axlerod puppet.

God bless this country and protect us against Osama/Obama.

B. Hussein Obama voted 97% among party lines.

91% of the votes in the senate are unanimous.

Obama voted with Bush 93% of the time.

Obama= more of the same class warfare where the weak cry and bitch and the elite make the money, spend the money, and protect this land.

How perfect it is that a man like McCain comes along at this time in history, when the greatest threat to American life is Obama.

No man, your the one who getting doped by the axlerod puppet.

God bless this country and protect us against Osama/Obama.

You are so twisted.

..right now. ;)

munchies.gif

:burp:

She's obviously a good hatchet (wo)man, but..

..uhh..

I'm not convinced she's ready

to step in as POTUS if need be.

You know,..the single most important

function and purpose of the VPOTUS.

:burp:

Palin will be the vice President and McCain the President because the prospect of a "Joebama" administration is just too grim for many Americans to even imagine.

Just based on her principles and convictions alone, Palin is vastly more qualified than Obama to be President.

What a horrible choice you Dems made in selecting Obama as your canidate. Especially since Hillary would have easily beaten McCain... even most Repubicans like Newt Gingrich already conceded that fact. Why in the hell you dummies think Obama was a good choice, only speaks to just how out of touch the far left in your party is with were the real America exists.

I'm sure that many in your party are having some real 'buyers remorse' especially with the very positive reaction to the selection of Sarah Palin as VP.

It would be sad to see a Creationist in the white house (palin) Separation of church and state is critical folks. Anyone who considers banning books and not teaching science in school is someone to be very, very wary of. Vote with your head, not your religion folks..please, pretty please? This is important stuff, think of the country not how it will affect your own needs.

It would be sad to see a Creationist in the white house (palin) Separation of church and state is critical folks. Anyone who considers banning books and not teaching science in school is someone to be very, very wary of. Vote with your head, not your religion folks..please, pretty please? This is important stuff, think of the country not how it will affect your own needs.

You don't think proffessed Christian Barrack Hussien Obama is a 'creatonist' too?

How about "pretty please" you pull your head out...

What a horrible choice you Dems made in selecting Obama as your canidate. Especially since Hillary would have easily beaten McCain... even most Repubicans like Newt Gingrich already conceded that fact. Why in the hell you dummies think Obama was a good choice, only speaks to just how out of touch the far left in your party is with were the real America exists.

I'm sure that many in your party are having some real 'buyers remorse' especially with the very positive reaction to the selection of Sarah Palin as VP.

Dunno if you've noticed...but McCain has never been ahead of Obama in the polls. Where's this "real America" you're speaking about?

And Sarah is doing nothing to pull in more voters. She's so Republican it hurts, that's where the strong reaction is coming from; she's only energizing the people who were unhappy with McCain but voting for him anyways.

What's all this "buyer's remorse" shit? I have no reason to back away from my candidate, or stop supporting my candidate. All Conventions give bounces, I was expecting McCain to gain in the polls this week. So I'm not quivering, shaking or scared. If it's November 3rd and Obama is behind in every poll including electoral votes, maybe I'll begin to get an ulcer. But I don't see that happening, honestly. I'll just wait for the election to roll around and let things happen as they will.

Great article in Time Magazine by Joe Klein:

What Bush Taught McCain: The GOP candidate's negative turn is straight out of the Bush campaign handbook

The woman, a venture capitalist from the Denver area, looked a bit like Cindy McCain, and so it was disconcerting when she announced, in a focus group of undecided voters conducted by the Republican pollster Frank Luntz, that she had decided she just couldn't vote for John McCain this year. "I supported him enthusiastically in 2000, but he's hired the same people who ran him into the ground last time to run his campaign," she said. McCain's tone was more negative now. "It breaks my heart."

Most people don't care about the consultants a candidate hires — very few handlers achieve the celebrity status of a Karl Rove or a James Carville. Most voters who supported McCain in 2000 but not this year have more obvious gripes: they don't like the way he's shaved his policy positions to approach Republican dogma. They may remember that he opposed the Bush tax cuts before he favored them. They may remember that he was more moderate on social issues like abortion in 2000, decrying the extremists on both sides and saying that "people of good intentions" could come to some understanding. They may be surprised by his free-range bellicosity, rattling sabers from Iran to Georgia. All of which is summed up in a single image: McCain hugging — no, nuzzling up to — George W. Bush. And yet, as the venture capitalist pointed out, the most disheartening aspect of McCain's 2008 campaign is not his embrace of Bush's policies but of the Bush style of campaigning.

We have just now completed the month of August, which is the cruelest month for Democrats, the month when Republicans go for the jugular, trotting out arguments — some valid, most scurrilous — that paint their Democratic rivals as weak, élite or unpatriotic. This is a relatively new phenomenon in American politics, the Bush family's gift to the process. Ronald Reagan never staged an ugly August. He attacked his opponents, but on the high ground of policy. His most famous advertising gambit was a balm: "Morning in America," a series of ads filled with gorgeous American images that didn't even mention Reagan's 1984 opponent, Walter Mondale. But then Reagan was operating at the beginning of a political pendulum swing, utterly confident that his ideas were better than the tired industrial-age liberalism and post-Vietnam pacifism of the Democrats.

George H.W. Bush — or rather, his designated sleazeball Lee Atwater — gave us the first truly ugly August, in 1988. Atwater had conducted a series of focus groups among blue collar Democrats in Paramus, N.J., in May and found all sorts of fodder: Michael Dukakis was "against" the Pledge of Allegiance. More substantively, Dukakis ran a weekend prison-release program in Massachusetts that allowed an African-American felon named Willie Horton to go on a killing spree. But what was most distinctive was a new tone: a derisive, sarcastic negativity that predicted, and enabled, Rush Limbaugh's brilliant, destructive trade.

A repentant Atwater died of brain cancer before he could slice and dice Bill Clinton in 1992, and Bob Dole was too honorable to try in 1996. But the arrival of George W. Bush and Rove — an Atwater protégé — brought August back with a vengeance in 2000 and, spectacularly, with the "independent" Swift Boat campaign against John Kerry in 2004.

This summer McCain has waged a nonstop assault — from the derision of his "celebrity" ads comparing Barack Obama to Paris Hilton, to McCain's own filthy attack on Obama as someone who would "rather lose a war than lose an election." (Obama has tried to strike back, but creative personal attacks just seem foreign to the Democrats' DNA.) The Republican Convention will doubtless be another assault on Obama, featuring McCain groupies like Joe Lieberman and Rudy Giuliani as attack dogs. Some of these attacks — those criticizing Obama's inexperience — are well within the bounds of traditional politics, but the uninterrupted gush of negativity has successfully diverted the media's attention from the fact that 80% of Americans think the country is moving in the wrong direction.

Michael Crowley of the New Republic recently observed that the McCain campaign was the most sarcastic in memory. He's right: sarcasm comes naturally to the fighter jock. He disdains all those — his colleagues in the Senate, his political opponents — who aren't as courageous as he thinks he is. But McCain has proved a selective maverick, surrounded by special-interest lobbyists who shape his foreign and fiscal policies. In fact, I suspect that this year's McCain is closer to the real thing than the noble 2000 version. This one is congenitally dark, the opposite of Reagan — not confident enough in the substance of his ideas, especially on domestic policy, to run a campaign that features them. Instead, his natural sarcasm has enabled him to perfect the Bush way of politics. He is, sadly, Mr. August.

Archived