NEW, NEW VOCALISTS working with Jimmy

Ronald

Yuck.....no one else should be at the helm. It sucks that Bonham is no longer alive, but we have the next best thing. At least it's another Bonham (even though no one can match Bonzo's energy and raw talent). Zeppelin without Plant is incomplete to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

Whenever I get into discussions about Jimmy launching an instrumental tour I always seem to hear something to the effect of "the lack of a vocalist will deprive the music of it's full emotional impact". I counter that his instrumental performances of 'Stairway to

Heaven' in 1983 and 1988 were emotional for me and the overwhelming majority of the audiences I'm sure. The alternative may well be silence.

yuck. nobody could sound good.. they would start singing and everyone would cringe because it wouldn't sound like plant. he would say the words different, put different movements on it, and i can't imagine liking it.. it reminds me of an awful time i saw a Queen performance on tv.. they have Paul Rodgers from Bad Company as their new singer.. he is an excellent singer and there was nothing lacking in his performance, but the whole time i just wanted to hear Freddie Mercury.. it just wasn't the same!

every member of a band is important, but the singer brings the audience in and puts language and emotional expression to the sounds.. its a connection thing.. a different singer changes the way the listener perceives the sound. so i would much rather just hear jimmy and jpj get up on stage and woo me with some beautiful mandolin and acoustic, or guitar and acoustic bass or something, rather than have my experience soured by having to wade through my discontent with a new singer!

I know what you mean. Having Rodgers as the singer seems like a total mismatch for Queen. Rodgers is very soulfull. Mercury was melodramatic----just like Queen's music. I'm getting more and more into the idea of just saying the hell with it---with Page, Jones, and Jason in the studio, please give us a c.d. of instrumentals---it could really kick ass and I believe make Jason's dad proud. PLEASE.

yuck. nobody could sound good.. they would start singing and everyone would cringe because it wouldn't sound like plant. he would say the words different, put different movements on it, and i can't imagine liking it.. it reminds me of an awful time i saw a Queen performance on tv.. they have Paul Rodgers from Bad Company as their new singer.. he is an excellent singer and there was nothing lacking in his performance, but the whole time i just wanted to hear Freddie Mercury.. it just wasn't the same!

every member of a band is important, but the singer brings the audience in and puts language and emotional expression to the sounds.. its a connection thing.. a different singer changes the way the listener perceives the sound. so i would much rather just hear jimmy and jpj get up on stage and woo me with some beautiful mandolin and acoustic, or guitar and acoustic bass or something, rather than have my experience soured by having to wade through my discontent with a new singer!

Good points. And I checked out your MySpace page......your voice is exquisite, I love it!! :) Sent you an add request so look for me over there by username "Skin Bag".

I know what you mean. Having Rodgers as the singer seems like a total mismatch for Queen. Rodgers is very soulfull. Mercury was melodramatic----just like Queen's music. I'm getting more and more into the idea of just saying the hell with it---with Page, Jones, and Jason in the studio, please give us a c.d. of instrumentals---it could really kick ass and I believe make Jason's dad proud. PLEASE.

jason can sing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , Remember that when jimmy and the lads do something you bet that Robert will come running .I really couldn't see Robert sitting back and not want to sing songs that someone else is singing with the old band mates.But in saying that it could be good to see them do it (produce/record)simply because its good for there souls.

Whenever I get into discussions about Jimmy launching an instrumental tour I always seem to hear something to the effect of "the lack of a vocalist will deprive the music of it's full emotional impact". I counter that his instrumental performances of 'Stairway to

Heaven' in 1983 and 1988 were emotional for me and the overwhelming majority of the audiences I'm sure. The alternative may well be silence.

Fully agree. I've been all for an instrumental tour with JP, JPJ and JB since January and the whole Plant/Krauss tour. That's the most fitting tribute to the music, if you ask me. No band of that caliber in their era and genre has done it before. If and when Plant decides to join the fray, so be it. But all you have to listen to is Swan Song or Jennings Farm Blues or the pre-vocal mix of Carouselambra (and hell, even Emerald Eyes and the other two instrumentals on Outrider) to know the music can stand on its own without lyrics.

they could just let the audience do the singing like Stairway at the Arms benefit.

And they won't have to play one step down so his guitar could be prominent in the mix!

Fully agree. Like I said after hearing the show, I think the downtuning worked for some songs. I found Stairway to be quite epic in the lower register. Black Dog retained its raw power. But especially with TSRTS, the dropped key minimized Jimmy's playing IMHO. Same with GTBT and Ramble On.

For the record, I could sit and listen to Writes of Winter, Emerald Eyes and Liquid Mercury on repeat for days. I've always found Jimmy's instrumental work - from WS/BMS to Bron-yr-Aur to Swan Song to be incredibly compelling and among his best and most underappreciated works.

The Guitar: Jimmy Page

The Voice: Robert Plant

Period.

That would be ideal, but, if The Voice refuses, should The Guitar just go silent?

The Guitar: Justin Adams, Porl Thompson, Skin, T-Bone Burnett, Buddy Miller, etc (naming folks who have played Zep tunes while Robert sang them)

Why does it work one way, but not the other?

I would normally agree with you, except this is Led Zeppelin. Robert did originally bring me in, for sure, and I enjoy him tremendously. But I stuck around for the other three. Talk about emotional expression to the sounds! Many's the time Plant's been stuck going "la la la, baby baby baby, suck it, push push" because there are no words to go with the remarkable music, and the voice is frankly superfluous or simply unable to keep up.

Also, not even Robert Plant sounds like the original Robert Plant, any more. So you have to adjust your expectations, anyway.

Not saying I don't want Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham together, just saying if Plant isn't interested, there's no reason in my book the others shouldn't move on without him. He's certainly done the same regarding them.

Fully agree. Like I said after hearing the show, I think the downtuning worked for some songs. I found Stairway to be quite epic in the lower register. Black Dog retained its raw power. But especially with TSRTS, the dropped key minimized Jimmy's playing IMHO. Same with GTBT and Ramble On.

For the record, I could sit and listen to Writes of Winter, Emerald Eyes and Liquid Mercury on repeat for days. I've always found Jimmy's instrumental work - from WS/BMS to Bron-yr-Aur to Swan Song to be incredibly compelling and among his best and most underappreciated works.

I like your thinking, and totally agree.

I'll say this out loud: Page's playing has the power to make me weep. Plant's singing does not (though to be fair I have cried to "Darkness, Darkness," and once with "All the Kings Horses.")

• 2 weeks later...
The Guitar: Jimmy Page

Period.

I agree, and certainly want to see anything presented as being "Led Zeppelin" without Plant's voice, but I'm sure people raised their eyebrows back in the day when Phil Collins replaced Peter Gabriel in Genesis, and Brian Johnson replaced Bon Scott in AC/DC...those arrangements seemed to work out pretty well for the bands, I'd say...

Having said that, though, Zeppelin without Robert Plant is like the Stones without Jagger. It's bad enough having Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey performing as "The Who"...it'd be like McCartney hitting the road with Ringo on drums and calling it "The Beatles". Blasphemy!!!!!

Jimmy Page can work with all the different singers he likes, but the album and/or tour better be credited to "Jimmy Page"...even if his rhythm section is a certain J.P. Jones on bass and a Mr. Jason Bonham on drums.

Mind you, I never liked the "Outrider" era Plant-less Zeppelin renditions (at least it wasn't that horrible Chris Farlowe lounge lizard guy singing!), and don't get me started on the Page/Black Crowes travesty. Never really cared for Plant's Page-less Zep songs, either...

....funny... I thought the Black Crows thing sounded even better than the Page/Plant lineup at times. I haven't heard that much of either though as I haven't actually had much interest in the post Zeppelin efforts after the earliest solo stuff.....I lost all hope during the bad hair metal phase they went through and never got back on board until the O2 and Raising Sand.....

....funny... I thought the Black Crows thing sounded even better than the Page/Plant lineup at times. I haven't heard that much of either though as I haven't actually had much interest in the post Zeppelin efforts after the earliest solo stuff.....I lost all hope during the bad hair metal phase they went through and never got back on board until the O2 and Raising Sand.....

dude, i'm with ya on page sounding good with the crowes. they showed up with props and respect, chris sang as if he were paying homage to old r&b masters, and 3 axes! plus, steve gorman is a very under-rated drummer.

dude, i'm with ya on page sounding good with the crowes. they showed up with props and respect, chris sang as if he were paying homage to old r&b masters, and 3 axes! plus, steve gorman is a very under-rated drummer.

Yes I thought they did a nice job and had some interesting song selections....I would not be disappointed if the remaining Zeps chose him as a vocalist to work with; I much prefer someone from the soul/r&b section than a hair metal screecher or post grunge howler....

Archived