Where are they now?

dodge

I have always been intrigued by the "summer of love".I was only a child at the time,but i would have loved to have been there at the time.I often wonder what happened to all those beautiful people,with flowers in their hair and love in their hearts.I wonder what they are doing now.How many of them are on this forum right now.I would love to hear from people who were there and experienced that love first hand.

They grew up, put on business suits, and became conservative republicans............it sure was a beautiful dream wasn't it...........

I remember in the 80's someone older telling me their class reunion theme was "Hippie to Yuppie" :lol:

For the younguns: I felt the way you do. And your kids will be jealous of you in exactly the same way. You say, No way! It's true. My kid got me into the Cure, and I didn't give a rat's ass about them in the 80's.

For the ones that didn't put on suits, check out Steve Martin in "Baby Mama." :hysterical:

They grew up, put on business suits, and became conservative republicans............it sure was a beautiful dream wasn't it...........

There's a Gap outlet on Haight/Asbury.

Kezar Stadium became a jogging track for yuppies.

B):D:DUnfortunately, that's TRUE!! Sonny Bono was the first dude to do EXACTLY that:)

I grew up in the Bay Area in Oakland right near Berkeley and was practically raised by hippies. Some of them were in on the Summer of Love. They were my teachers, coaches, professors, neighbors and local shopkeepers. Lots of them are still hippies. Older, retiring, getting sick, still smoking pot. I see them when I visit home. I find that the majority of them were true believers. The ones who showed up late just for the party and the free love were the ones that went republican.

I was there. I totally believed in peace and love (I was 17 in 1967) but I never went to any of the war protests.

It was fun while it lasted until drugs totally wrecked my mind and it took me about 5 years to recover and become a human being again.

I still want peace but I'm also a realist and I now carry a .357 revolver for self protection/preservation. But it was great to see all the bands back then and the free concerts in the Panhandle every weekend. :) My brother had just returned from Vietnam (infantry) that summer and he got right into the scene. :D

'Life is change'---Jefferson Airplane

B)

I have always been intrigued by the "summer of love".I was only a child at the time,but i would have loved to have been there at the time.I often wonder what happened to all those beautiful people,with flowers in their hair and love in their hearts.I wonder what they are doing now.How many of them are on this forum right now.I would love to hear from people who were there and experienced that love first hand.

Dodge, I was also a child during the summer of love but I remember the older siblings of some of my friends hitchhiking across the U.S. to San Francisco so they could be part of the scene out there. When they returned home, I loved hearing the stories of their adventures.

The current lives of those beautiful people who once wore flowers in their hair are diverse. I know that many hippies grew up and joined the corporate world but I've also met many people who had been hippies when I was working in the developing world - several had been with the Peace Corps and now they work for NGOs and other non-profits, doing development and aid work.

My husband and I live in a rural area and we sometimes encounter "old hippies" when we visit some of more isolated towns and villages. Some of these people are now artisans or farmers and ranchers.

I grew up in the Bay Area in Oakland right near Berkeley and was practically raised by hippies. Some of them were in on the Summer of Love. They were my teachers, coaches, professors, neighbors and local shopkeepers. Lots of them are still hippies. Older, retiring, getting sick, still smoking pot. I see them when I visit home. I find that the majority of them were true believers. The ones who showed up late just for the party and the free love were the ones that went republican.

Good point.

True!

Things that happened then have had lasting results.

What a great experience you must have had. :D

Dodge, I was also a child during the summer of love but I remember the older siblings of some of my friends hitchhiking across the U.S. to San Francisco so they could be part of the scene out there. When they returned home, I loved hearing the stories of their adventures.

The current lives of those beautiful people who once wore flowers in their hair are diverse. I know that many hippies grew up and joined the corporate world but I've also met many people who had been hippies when I was working in the developing world - several had been with the Peace Corps and now they work for NGOs and other non-profits, doing development and aid work.

My husband and I live in a rural area and we sometimes encounter "old hippies" when we visit some of more isolated towns and villages. Some of these people are now artisans or farmers and ranchers.

Msg,there are probably still lots of them about.Some may have changed,some may have been lost to drugs.I think most of them were genuine,hence the reason many of them went on to devote their lives to helping others.I believe that if someone has a good heart it is permanent.

I was there. I totally believed in peace and love (I was 17 in 1967) but I never went to any of the war protests.

It was fun while it lasted until drugs totally wrecked my mind and it took me about 5 years to recover and become a human being again.

I still want peace but I'm also a realist and I now carry a .357 revolver for self protection/preservation. But it was great to see all the bands back then and the free concerts in the Panhandle every weekend. :) My brother had just returned from Vietnam (infantry) that summer and he got right into the scene. :D

'Life is change'---Jefferson Airplane

B)

Hi,and thanks for your comment.great to ear from people who were there.Most people who were there were genuinly into peace,it would be nice to have more of them about now.Glad to hear you managed to recover from your problems with drugs, i know many others were not so lucky.Take care,man and peace to you.

Hi,and thanks for your comment.great to ear from people who were there.Most people who were there were genuinly into peace,it would be nice to have more of them about now.Glad to hear you managed to recover from your problems with drugs, i know many others were not so lucky.Take care,man and peace to you.

Thanks and peace to you too. :)

I think most of the genuine hippies had moved out of the Haight by the end of '67 (speed/barbituates came in which I never messed with) so I'm sure there are lots of them out there.

Archived