The Dark Knight

Jarlaxle 56

Whats so silly about comic books? I've only read a handful but I know all the stories, and I can say that most of them aren't really silly. The cartoons were silly. The Marvel Civil War is not

Theres not nesseraly anything silly about comics themselves but to bring a comic character onscreen and explain why someone is dressed as a giant bat can be. Not that there arent alot of superhero films I'v enjoyed (first two and lastest Superman films, Spiderman 2, The Burton Batmans and Begins, Ironman, Blade one and two etc) but until the Dark Knight I'v not seen one I'd truely call great.

The refreshing thing for me is that we saw a really creative director given the money to make the blockbuster he wanted to make, that used tio happen all the time in the 70's/80's but since then talentless execs and CGI merchants have started to have way to much of a say.

Spoilers below...

Not a comic book fan, and I find Christian Bale pretty cold as an actor, but Heath Ledger, man oh man... it's two weeks since I watched this and I'm still thinking about it. Scary commitment to that role, he went places actors don't normally go. Even Hanibal Lecter didn't have that level of insanity to him. Heath's Joker was insane, but internally consistent. He scared the piss out of me.

The scene where Batman loses it and is beating on him and he just takes it, like "been there done that, you can't hurt me" ("why so serious?") OMG.

The scene where he's plunging to his death LAUGHING? Then Batman catches him and he's swinging back and forth, upside down, talking about chaos? I was transported. That was an amazing scene.

Absolutely he should get the Oscar next year. I'm more devastated than ever he died so young.

Otherwise kind of an overwrought movie, though it's always a joy to see Gary Oldman, Michael Caine, and Morgan Freeman.

If you haven't seen it, go for Ledger's performance if nothing else.

Theres not nesseraly anything silly about comics themselves but to bring a comic character onscreen and explain why someone is dressed as a giant bat can be. Not that there arent alot of superhero films I'v enjoyed (first two and lastest Superman films, Spiderman 2, The Burton Batmans and Begins, Ironman, Blade one and two etc) but until the Dark Knight I'v not seen one I'd truely call great.

The refreshing thing for me is that we saw a really creative director given the money to make the blockbuster he wanted to make, that used tio happen all the time in the 70's/80's but since then talentless execs and CGI merchants have started to have way to much of a say.

Excellent point. Well, this is such a success now, things may swing back to the better ways.

just saw it for the third time today...i really cant say enough good things about this movie, so i wont try because im tired...

...just wanted to add to the list of people that think its brilliant

heath was by far the best part of the movie. Bale SUCKED, bigtime.

overall I enjoyed the last batman movie alot more. Did not impress. Overhyped! To the max!

bale-best batman ever. just saw it for the 3rd time. what an improvement over the last film.

overall I enjoyed the last batman movie alot more. Did not impress. Overhyped! To the max!

i can understand how you might not like bale...the batman voice gets a bit irritating at times...

I found the weak links in this movie to be Maggie Gyllenhaul and Aaron Eckhart. I didn't really care about either of their characters. She wasn't even hot and you just didn't buy why Bale or Eckhart would really care about her. She didn't have a likeable character and i just didn't care about two face at all.

Bale has played the best Batman/Bruce Wayne seen in a long time. In fact, I'd say the only Batman/Bruce Wayne better is the animated version.

i can understand how you might not like bale...the batman voice gets a bit irritating at times...

As Batman it somes appeared he was doing a Clint Eastwood impersonation with the batman voice. Some people laughed at one of the screenings i was at.

I find myself in the minority here in that I rather like Bale's Batman voice. I admit that I think Val Kilmer's Batman-voice was better, but Bale's doesn't bother me too much... in fact, I rather like the fact that Batman is Distinguished so strongly from Bruce that even the voice is markedly different.

But again, I admit to being in the minority on that one, and yes, I can see why most people don't like it.

I found the weak links in this movie to be Maggie Gyllenhaul and Aaron Eckhart. I didn't really care about either of their characters. She wasn't even hot and you just didn't buy why Bale or Eckhart would really care about her. She didn't have a likeable character and i just didn't care about two face at all.

I can agree with you on Maggie physically, but acting-wise itself she did a much better job then Katie Holmes. I agree they should have done a better make-up job, because Katie was definitely hotter. But Maggie made the character somewhat likeable, whereas Katie Holmes's Rachel was just a whiny bitch.

However, I must disagree with you completely on Aaron Eckhart. Two-face was perfect. Keep in mind this is only the beginning. If there's a third, and there probably will be, Two-Face is the main bad-guy. Yes, Harvery Dent is dead. But Two-Face is not dead. He can't be. Especially considering that both he and Batman fell from the same height, in much the same way, and Batman survived. Two-Face did survive.

We only saw the beginning of Two-Face. His personality was not completely split, yet. Trust me. If they do a third (which they will), and Two-Face is the main villian (which he will be), and Aaron continues the roll (which I'm sure he will), we'll see an incredible Two-Face.

And I liked Harvey Dent a lot. If there was someone just like him, and he was running for, say, President, I'd vote for him in a heart-beat.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Amen.

Hi all,

I did not have any problem with their acting,you can only do so much with what your given,....there has to be focus to a film,and this was between Batman and the Joker.In this movie,and many other comic/super hero films,the main to-do is always the villian.Ms. Dawes is a thankless role from the get go,.....IMHO,spats,...

Harvey Dent/Two-face is only a set up for the 3rd film.

KB

Wow, I went expecting really to like this film since I thought the first one was really well done, and apart from Aaron Eckhart, I really love the cast, but it was NOT good, imho. I thought Heath Ledger was just unhinged, not acting, and that was very disturbing--frightening, even, and not in a good-for-the-film way. The Oscar nod business is really misplaced sentimentality. I thought he was great in all of his other films (Casanova and Brothers Grimm especially), but not this one.

Nolan really let his grand budget go to his head and was pretty undisciplined (it did not need 2 and 1/2+ hours to tell that story). Bale was great, but weirdly did not get enough screen time--he is a fantastic Bruce Wayne, and we didn't see enough of him in that guise to give the Batman parts enough nuance to carry the film. In some ways, Gary Oldman (whom I absolutely adore) was the best thing going, along with Michael Caine. I did think Maggie Gyllenhall was far better than Katie Holmes, who could not act if her immortal soul depended on it!

Anyway, that was a disappointment, alas.

Hi all,

I thought Heath Ledger was just unhinged, not acting, and that was very disturbing--frightening, even, and not in a good-for-the-film way.

Bless you, Heath!You sir, went beyond 'acting' .Allison,I respect your opinion,but that was the Joker.

KB(yes,the dumb joke)

I thought Heath Ledger was just unhinged, not acting, and that was very disturbing--frightening, even, and not in a good-for-the-film way. The Oscar nod business is really misplaced sentimentality. I thought he was great in all of his other films (Casanova and Brothers Grimm especially), but not this one.

If I may, that is the Joker. The Joker is not what Jack Nicholson made him to be. The Joker is an unhinged, psychopathic, homicidal lunatic. That how the Joker was written and that's who the Joker is supposed to be. Heath Ledger's Joker is, by way of personality, the truest Joker to the comics there ever was, with the possible exception of the Joker from Batman: The Animated Series.

At the bones of it, the Joker is possibly the easiest villain to play. At the same time, however, he is the hardest character to play because he's possibly the only villain every created with nothing... no motive, no beliefs, nothing. He's a killer because he's a killer, and that's it. He has been described as the darkest part of Batman himself.

If Batman were to take over, and Bruce Wayne "die," most likely Batman would be just as evil, just as crazy.

Think of it like that and maybe you'll understand why Heath's performance was good enough to merit an Emmy. It has nothing to do with his death. Trust me on that. Dead or alive, Heath will go down as the greatest Joker in Batman history.

Fair enough. I think I was really shocked and distressed by the whole adventure--it was far more violent and disturbing than I'd expected after having seen the first one, and it does feel weirdly exploitative in retrospect to see HL in that role. I read a bunch of cast interviews last night, though, and it may be that I was reading too much of Heath L's tragedy into the film. Both Christian Bale and Gary Oldman said that he was entirely his charming self when not actually filming, and great fun to be around, so obviously it wasn't as grim as I felt it was on first view.

If I may, that is the Joker. The Joker is not what Jack Nicholson made him to be. The Joker is an unhinged, psychopathic, homicidal lunatic. That how the Joker was written and that's who the Joker is supposed to be. Heath Ledger's Joker is, by way of personality, the truest Joker to the comics there ever was, with the possible exception of the Joker from Batman: The Animated Series.

At the bones of it, the Joker is possibly the easiest villain to play. At the same time, however, he is the hardest character to play because he's possibly the only villain every created with nothing... no motive, no beliefs, nothing. He's a killer because he's a killer, and that's it. He has been described as the darkest part of Batman himself.

If Batman were to take over, and Bruce Wayne "die," most likely Batman would be just as evil, just as crazy.

Think of it like that and maybe you'll understand why Heath's performance was good enough to merit an Emmy. It has nothing to do with his death. Trust me on that. Dead or alive, Heath will go down as the greatest Joker in Batman history.

I saw the movie again tonight, but in IMAX. To be honest ,there's not much difference except in the sound, which was much more louder and awesome. I understood everything this time around and enjoyed the visuals as well as the music more this time.

I remember the first time I saw this advertised, and wandering who that freaky guy was. I thought he was a bit familiar to me. When I found out it was Heath Ledger it took me a little while to be able to see him in the role. This is without a doubt his best performance. For someone to totally disappear in a role is phenomenal. I have already seen this 3 times, and still his performance holds my attention. Well done Heath. Its just a shame you are mot here to hear all the praise.

P.s. I believe its made over 300 mill so far, and its probably still climbing.

CultureShock-TheJoker-thumb.jpg

Archived