Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

I am for onenot a fan of Leona Lewis but I appreciate she does have a great voice. I think she was chosen because she comes from the area of london where The olympics is to be staged, so a local girl tie in etc. Really chuffed that Jimmy is doing it and will be interesting to hear WLL with her on vocals...we now have four years of anticipation for the olympics in London. which is really great and what a way to kick of with God playing at the closing ceromony of this Olympics :)

Some words from Jimmy (from sportinglife.com, full story ):

Page said he was overwhelmed to have been asked to use his song for the handover ceremony.

He said: "Initially they requested to use 'Whole Lotta Love', then it was 'you can play guitar on it if you want to'. Then it was said Leona was going to sing on it, and it just got a momentum of it's own. It's going to be really great.

"The Olympics is going to bring a whole spirit of optimism to London and it's going to be fantastic."

Some words from Jimmy (from sportinglife.com, full story ):

Page said he was overwhelmed to have been asked to use his song for the handover ceremony.

He said: "Initially they requested to use 'Whole Lotta Love', then it was 'you can play guitar on it if you want to'. Then it was said Leona was going to sing on it, and it just got a momentum of it's own. It's going to be really great.

"The Olympics is going to bring a whole spirit of optimism to London and it's going to be fantastic."

Good lad, Jimmy, talk me into it. :) Keep going, I can feel it working a bit . . .

How about Amy?

Well, no. She's a liability. I would've thought Duffy would've been a bit better, but I guess they were going for the whole London thing, so they needed a notable London resident.

Having said that, Knebby put it into context in another thread, and it does make sense why they'd have Leona now - she's probably the most well-known London singer out there right now.

I'm looking forward to it. I may be proud that we've done far better than ever expected at the Olympics, but I'm even more so that it's Jimmy fucking Page representing our capital and our country for the world to see :D

Do the flag proud, James B)

I don't particularly care if it's pre-recorded or not (It's the Olympics, you would expect it to be pre-recorded due to the program schedules) Just seeing Page on stage again is enough for me. Given Page's age we will only see fewer public performances of him in the future.

Not that it matters, but I think there's two kinds of "pre-recorded" under discussion here.

One being that the whole thing will be pre-recorded by the time we in the States (for example) see it on tape on TV in the evening. Jimmy will have already done his bit, hours before we see it, unless it appears on Youtube quickly.

The other is "pre-recorded" in the sense that Jimmy won't be playing live in China, but miming to a pre-recorded guitar track.

Just to clarify. :D It's still a performance.

Not that it matters, but I think there's two kinds of "pre-recorded" under discussion here.

One being that the whole thing will be pre-recorded by the time we in the States (for example) see it on tape on TV in the evening. Jimmy will have already done his bit, hours before we see it, unless it appears on Youtube quickly.

The other is "pre-recorded" in the sense that Jimmy won't be playing live in China, but miming to a pre-recorded guitar track.

Just to clarify. :D It's still a performance.

When I say "pre-recorded" I am saying the backing track has been pre-recorded. Whether the vocals and guitar are "live" is possible but yet to be demonstrated. The closing ceremony will be shown live in Australia, no delayed telecasts.

When I say "pre-recorded" I am saying the backing track has been pre-recorded. Whether the vocals and guitar are "live" is possible but yet to be demonstrated. The closing ceremony will be shown live in Australia, no delayed telecasts.

Yes, I understood what you were saying, I was just saying that people had been using the term to mean two different things. My post wasn't addressing yours specifically, it just followed it.

Oh, and yes, the guitar or vocal might turn out to be live, though doesn't sound like it from most reports.

Yes, I understood what you were saying, I was just saying that people had been using the term to mean two different things. My post wasn't addressing yours specifically, it just followed it.

Oh, and yes, the guitar or vocal might turn out to be live, though doesn't sound like it from most reports.

Ever the optimist.should be good :o Still think Paul McCartney is the man for the job.

Ever the optimist.should be good :o Still think Paul McCartney is the man for the job.

Macca is most decidedly NOT a Londoner. LONDON is where the 2012 Olympics will be. :rolleyes:

Also, Aqua: the most reliable source I've read on all of this so far has been The Independent, and they did say Jimmy would be live. So fingers crossed! :D

Archived