BONHAM LEAVING FOREIGNER!

JohnnyGuitar

i always thought that they had an agreement where it was " all or none " meaning that if just one of the four wasnt agreeable to something, then it didnt happen. it had to be unanimous. is that correct?

if that is true, then if robert didnt want to join up with jimmy, john paul and jason, he could stop them using the led zeppelin name if he wanted to, as could jimmy or john paul.

or, they could give their full blessing also, if they wanted to.

Not to argue semantics, but what you are describing sounds to me like a "mutual understanding" and not a "legally binding agreement". I personally believe Jimmy Page retains full ownership of the name "Led Zeppelin" and the right to use it as he sees fit, not that he necessarily would ever elect to use it in a lineup with excluded Robert or JPJ. Live Aid proved he would use it without Jason. Even so, I do understand he does not have the authority to use or release recordings which feature them or their likenesses without their consent.

We should read between the lines and know that knowledgeable members of this board have never misled us as to the future plans of our favorite band. Whatever is ahead won't be Led Zeppelin. At least from what I read!

I would imagine (maybe) Robert might hear what they are doing and if he felt it was fresh, original and new then he might want in, but if he thinks not then cool.

Personally, I can't imagine the three Js would embark in earnest on a musical collaboration without having someone in mind, if not in the studio, to sing it, not to mention write the lyrics and create the vocal melodies. I also can't imagine them making a commitmant to a singer and suddenly kicking him to the curb because it turns out Robert likes the songs they've all put their efforts into. I also can't imagine Robert being so brazen as to even expect them to, regarledless how he likes what they've done.

But that's just me. :beer:

Not to argue semantics, but what you are describing sounds to me like a "mutual understanding" and not a "legally binding agreement". I personally believe Jimmy Page retains full ownership of the name "Led Zeppelin" and the right to use it as he sees fit, not that he necessarily would ever elect to use it in a lineup with excluded Robert or JPJ. Live Aid proved he would use it without Jason. Even so, I do understand he does not have the authority to use or release recordings which feature them or their likenesses without their consent.

Correct, Jimmy Page does own the rights to the name, but as I understand it they have an agreement where the remaining three members meet to discuss business decisions. We saw that when Swan Song Records wound-up, the various remaster and box-set releases during the 1990s, and decisions on the DVD and Mothership collections etc. I remember when Live Aid happened in 1985, the band weren't introduced formally as "Led Zeppelin" and there seemed to be some avoidance on it, although that had changed by the Atlantic concert a few years later.

If memory serves me right..(and it doesn't always. :unsure: ) In one of the interviews during the aftermath, he did say something along the lines of:

It would have to be some new material or something to not turn it into a Stones gig.

If Robert hears some kick ass music, he'll hear the lyrics too. And mayyyybe be reinspired.

One can hope.

I remember when Live Aid happened in 1985, the band weren't introduced formally as "Led Zeppelin" and there seemed to be some avoidance on it, although that had changed by the Atlantic concert a few years later.

I'm trying to recall if there was a "formal introduction" from the stage at all, seeing as

they went on in synchronization with prime time American television viewing hours. I

distinctly recall (and have on film) MTV host Mark Goodman referring to them as "Led

Zeppelin" during the start of live simulcast coverage. The bulk of the media coverage called them Led Zeppelin in previews and reviews. There was a bit of ducking and dodging backstage afterward, with Robert essentially saying "I shall be in Cleveland

next and..."

Ahmet's formal stage introduction in '88 (..."they call themselves Led Zeppelin!") did succintly establish their collective will on this point for that particular occasion.

Personally, I can't imagine the three Js would embark in earnest on a musical collaboration without having someone in mind, if not in the studio, to sing it, not to mention write the lyrics and create the vocal melodies. I also can't imagine them making a commitmant to a singer and suddenly kicking him to the curb because it turns out Robert likes the songs they've all put their efforts into. I also can't imagine Robert being so brazen as to even expect them to, regarledless how he likes what they've done.

But that's just me. :beer:

Is there any one else who could have the stones to sing with these three. I truly doubt that the three J's would move forward without their singer. If it's not RP , it's just a jam between old friends and this will all go away just like 1986, 90. IMHO :D

I'm trying to recall if there was a "formal introduction" from the stage at all, seeing as

they went on in synchronization with prime time American television viewing hours. I

distinctly recall (and have on film) MTV host Mark Goodman referring to them as "Led

Zeppelin" during the start of live simulcast coverage. The bulk of the media coverage called them Led Zeppelin in previews and reviews. There was a bit of ducking and dodging backstage afterward, with Robert essentially saying "I shall be in Cleveland

next and..."

Ahmet's formal stage introduction in '88 (..."they call themselves Led Zeppelin!") did succintly establish their collective will on this point for that particular occasion.

They were not introduced as "Led Zeppelin." Phil Collins finished up at the piano and said, "I'd like to introduce some friends of mine; Mr. Robert Plant, Mr. Jimmy Page, Mr. John Paul Jones, Mr. Tony Thompson, Mr. Paul Martinez!"

I remember the programs and t-shirts listed them as Plant, Page, and Jones too. They definitely did not want to be called 'Led Zeppelin" back then. Remember, this was only 5 years after Bonzo's death, wounds were still pretty fresh. They did bill themselves as "Led Zeppelin" three years later when they played the Atlantic gig with Jason in NY.

next and..."

Just as I was typing up the answer, mstork replied. :) Yes, they weren't introduced formally as Led Zeppelin. There was no announcement from the PA that it was Led Zeppelin other than what Phil Collins said. I also recall at the interviews backstage after the show they avoided mentioning it like the plague.

Is there any one else who could have the stones to sing with these three. I truly doubt that the three J's would move forward without their singer. If it's not RP , it's just a jam between old friends and this will all go away just like 1986, 90. IMHO :D

I have to say, I think something will come out of this. Jimmy wasn't anywhere near as focused in '90, and certainly not in '86, as he is now. Robert said in a recent interview that he's back to being the guy he was in the early days. He's been writing a long time now, and there are probably no two musicians better equipped to help him shape his vision than Jonesy and Jason.

I really think this will come out one way or another, with or without Robert. I hope it's with Robert but I'd be happy to see it without him if that's the way it has to be.

Is there any one else who could have the stones to sing with these three. I truly doubt that the three J's would move forward without their singer.

Sure there is! Hell, I'd give my stones to sing with those guys! :lol:

As for "moving forward without their singer, clearly they have. :beer:

Edited by Evster2012

Sure there is! Hell, I'd give my stones to sing with those guys! :lol:

As for "moving forward without their singer, clearly they have. :beer:

Hell, I'd give my stones too, but would the J's want them? Don't think so. Who else would they want except for the one and only "Golden God"? Would they except anything else at this point? Time will tell.

I think that we, as true Zep fans, have to ask ourselves whether we would rather see Jimmy and Robert happy and productive apart or uncomfortable and going through the motions together.

At this point i'm not even considering RP as part of the equation...just really looking forward to hearing new music from the J-3. To me, this is VERY exciting news.

I think that we, as true Zep fans, have to ask ourselves whether we would rather see Jimmy and Robert happy and productive apart or uncomfortable and going through the motions together.

At this point i'm not even considering RP as part of the equation...just really looking forward to hearing new music from the J-3. To me, this is VERY exciting news.

I think that's the most appropriate way to consider it. :)

Hell, I'd give my stones too, but would the J's want them? Don't think so. Who else would they want except for the one and only "Golden God"? Would they except anything else at this point? Time will tell.

That thread of logic leads inevitably to them not doing anything together ever, unless Robert agrees. It's reasonable to think they're not going to wait forever, and logical that if they've commenced working together the waiting is ended. Moving on and forging ahead would appear to have begun.

Remember last year when Jimmy, Jason and John Paul were rehearsing the O2 show without Robert? Maybe they're planning the same thing with this situation, waiting for him to lay his vocal tracks at his convenience, putting lyrics to the tunes later on. I wouldn't write Robert off just yet.

:coffee:

That thread of logic leads inevitably to them not doing anything together ever, unless Robert agrees. It's reasonable to think they're not going to wait forever, and logical that if they've commenced working together the waiting is ended. Moving on and forging ahead would appear to have begun.

Unless I'm wrong, I understand that all they are doing is jamming and working on new ideas at this point. A long way from anything concrete. I think this is Jimmy's last stab at trying to reunite the band, with some new music to entice the singer. If the three J's are serious, and remain a unit, inevitably they will be called and thought of as LZ. Unless they remain a trio, I just can't see Jimmy working with a singer who is not RP in that situation. He has been trying for over 20 years to reunite the band, and has not seemed interested in anything else musically based on his lack of a solo career. It's very possible the three of them are forging on without RP, but that would be very out of character for Jimmy.

I doubt Allison would be interested in playing with the Zeppelin boys, it's not really her style or fan base. What would be interesting is Jimmy, John and Jason working as a trio. I have heard it said that Jason is a terrific singer. I wonder if this is the direction they are heading.

This is Jason and Deborah(John's sister) Bonham doing Battle of Evermore, with Jason singing:

Battle of Evermore

Just found this on thegearpage.net:

at the end of the tour to work with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones on some new music. This was just announced on KLOS radio in Los Angeles. Things are starting to get interesting in Zeppelin land again.

Here's the thread where I got this info: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=431662

I have a great feeling about this! ROCK ON!

I believe that everything that Led Zeppelin did and are doing is carefully thought out and planned. Jimmy seems to be keeping the LZ name out front with his recent appearances. Led Zeppelin is a deeply mysterious band...as frustrating as this can be i feel it is one of the things that we all love about the band. So many mysteries over the years..backwards masking, what does zoso mean(not again), will Robert sing with the three J's again. Some of these questions may never be answered properly but I feel that 2009 will be the year that the mighty Zeppelin will fly again!! At least for a few flights. :D