New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

I'm also losing interest in the "hype" about this "new project". Either they have something or they don't. I wish they would get on with it already if they are doing more than rehearsing Zep songs with new singers. Granted, making music and an album takes time and patience just tell the people who actually care about it something real. Give us a Statement either way Jimmy, if you are still with us. The only news most of us hear about you is when Ross Halfin reports about his lunch companion on his blog.

Such impatience ..." Get on with it already" and " Oh dear God I'm losing interest in this new project" and other comments of this sort are redundant and self absorbed. I'm sure Page is preparing a statement right at this moment to please the nervous twitchers from doubting his future plans.

As far as Jimmy having lunch with Ross Halfin it's been recently said " everyone's got to eat ."

Such impatience ..." Get on with it already" and " Oh dear God I'm losing interest in this new project" and other comments of this sort are redundant and self absorbed. I'm sure Page is preparing a statement right at this moment to please the nervous twitchers from doubting his future plans. As far as Jimmy having lunch with Ross Halfin it's been recently said " everyone's got to eat ."

While he's about it, I hope he'll tell us what happened to the three new albums that he promised at the beginning of 2007, or was it 2006--time seems to move differently in Jimmy-land.

Page has used that interview technique for over 20 years stating he's two/thirds through his next project and then a long wait. I guess when he feels he has something worthwhile to put out and get behind he will. I'm just not as negative about what kind of life he's leading.

Les Paul took a 10 year break from even playing guitar and then he came back smoking in his sixties. He's still performing at the age of 93.

Page has used that interview technique for over 20 years stating he's two/thirds through his next project and then a long wait. I guess when he feels he has something worthwhile to put out and get behind he will. I'm just not as negative about what kind of life he's leading.

Les Paul took a 10 year break from even playing guitar and then he came back smoking in his sixties. He's still performing at the age of 93.

I had the privilege of seeing Les perform last night, I highly recommend it to anyone who happens to be in NYC on a Monday night...

As far as new material goes, yeah, Jimmy hasn't done a lot in his solo career. But as far as just 'work' goes, after the long gap between Outrider and C/P, Jimmy worked pretty consistently up to throwing his back out with the Black Crowes. From then on it really looked like he was de facto retired unless you factor in presiding over the live DVD, How the West was Won, and things like that. He's certainly had more than enough time to release solo albums, including now post-O2. He just hasn't which is sad.

I don't think that Jimmy's true fans would begrudge him at all if he didn't come back with anything new at this point in his life. He has earned all the accolades that have come his way from his contribution to rock' n' roll and should live life in any way that makes him happy.

That being said, it has been a year since the o2 show and Jimmy has not shown any signs of being an active musician with the exception of two songs with the Foo Fighters and a mimed performance at the olympics. Both of those appearances being Zep related as he did Zep songs each time to keep the "hype" alive. I'm sure Robert made clear even prior to the o2 show that he was not interested in rehashing the 70's. If Jimmy is still interested in making "loud" Zeppelin style music why the wait and endless hype? If he waits too much longer he will be a 70 year old man playing golden oldies and that will be sad.

What do you guys think of DARYL HALL from Hall and Oates? He`s not as rough around the edges as Robert but he has a lot of soul, damn good songwriter and he might not be get "wowed" by the rest of the band as a less veteran singer might.

It doesn't matter what we think as individual members of some fan site. Jimmy and JPJ are not about to join up with half of Hall and Oates if they have any professional pride left.

While he's about it, I hope he'll tell us what happened to the three new albums that he promised at the beginning of 2007, or was it 2006--time seems to move differently in Jimmy-land.

Actually, I think Jimmy said he was working on three projects at the time which wouldn't necessarily be three new albums. Those three would be "Mothership", "TSRTS"-remastered version and a third one. I think the third one was his solo project which we haven't heard yet...and are still waiting. :unsure:

I don't think that Jimmy's true fans would begrudge him at all if he didn't come back with anything new at this point in his life. He has earned all the accolades that have come his way from his contribution to rock' n' roll and should live life in any way that makes him happy.

That being said, it has been a year since the o2 show and Jimmy has not shown any signs of being an active musician with the exception of two songs with the Foo Fighters and a mimed performance at the olympics. Both of those appearances being Zep related as he did Zep songs each time to keep the "hype" alive. I'm sure Robert made clear even prior to the o2 show that he was not interested in rehashing the 70's. If Jimmy is still interested in making "loud" Zeppelin style music why the wait and endless hype? If he waits too much longer he will be a 70 year old man playing golden oldies and that will be sad.

You say all he's done in the last year is the Foos and the Olympics, as if you know what he's been up to on the other 363 days of the year. We know he's been writing and jamming with Jones and Bonham. We know they've been trying out different singers. And we know Jimmy said in January that he has a bunch of new riff driven songs that would work well with a rock band or a middle eastern style drum ensemble and he was trying to figure out which way to go (that was in the January 2008 Uncut interview).

Clearly he is not working publicly on your time table. But he is working and being creative. We will certainly hear something new from him when he's ready and I say good for him. And besides, every non-Plant singer he's ever worked with has brought him criticism, Coverdale, Farlowe, Miles, even Rodgers. Can you blame him for taking his time and trying to find the right singer?

Actually, I think Jimmy said he was working on three projects at the time which wouldn't necessarily be three new albums. Those three would be "Mothership", "TSRTS"-remastered version and a third one. I think the third one was his solo project which we haven't heard yet...and are still waiting. :unsure:

"All new music" was what he said. Maybe he didn't mean all three projects were new music. :unsure: But in any case, that was the interesting one, and we're indeed still waiting!

You say all he's done in the last year is the Foos and the Olympics, as if you know what he's been up to on the other 363 days of the year. We know he's been writing and jamming with Jones and Bonham. We know they've been trying out different singers. And we know Jimmy said in January that he has a bunch of new riff driven songs that would work well with a rock band or a middle eastern style drum ensemble and he was trying to figure out which way to go (that was in the January 2008 Uncut interview).

Clearly he is not working publicly on your time table. But he is working and being creative. We will certainly hear something new from him when he's ready and I say good for him. And besides, every non-Plant singer he's ever worked with has brought him criticism, Coverdale, Farlowe, Miles, even Rodgers. Can you blame him for taking his time and trying to find the right singer?

I'm the biggest Jimmy fan around and never mean him any disrespect. The fact is he has not produced any new music for public consumption for a very long time. My opinion of him would not be lowered one iota if he never released an album again. He has given us the best rock'n roll ever created in my opinion. I just think he relies too much on what Robert Plant wants to do, and has never moved on from the end of Zeppelin. As a professional musician he has played, and created very little publicly without Robert. Very few of us know anything that he has or has not been doing over the last few months or years and to speculate is all we have until something (or nothing) is released.

This sums up the situation pretty well.

http://www.lemonsqueezings.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Opinion: Jimmy Page needs to move on

As we go deeper into this 21st century and this instant-gratification information age, I can't help but question to what extent the band has become popularized to the point of no return.

If that's the case, and if there's a bit of remorse on Jimmy Page's side, I wonder to what extent this emotion is driving his decision-making today.

I wonder if his fear is driving his indecision when it comes to unveiling the long-delayed next phase of his career.

Page has been the self-appointed protectorate of Led Zeppelin throughout and following the era of manager Peter Grant, who astutely acquired a record deal for Led Zeppelin on the unprecedented contingency that the band was guaranteed exclusive control over its own image and recordings.

The band used this to great effect for some time, resisting TV appearances on the notion that Led Zeppelin was too monstrous an entity for small screens. On the road, the band hired a monstrous sound system, and only a leased jet would do when it came to transporting themselves across the United States. The group stopped touring England after January 1973 because its audience had grown too big for any venue that wasn't centrally located.

When they finished up their record-setting five-night run in May 1975, Robert Plant joked onstage that it would be their last concert in England until the 1980s. As it turns out, he wasn't far off the mark.

They didn't sell singles. You had to buy the album. If you liked that song "Kashmir" and wanted a copy, you'd have to buy an album with 15 songs spread across four sides. Ha. Kids now take it for granted that iTunes sells Led Zeppelin tracks individually for a buck apiece.

Everything about Led Zeppelin was big. Big sights, big sounds. But it wasn't just size that counts (right, guys?). There were also a bunch of mysteries.

Led Zeppelin's albums themselves were shrouded in mystery. There was the untitled one with no labeling information on the outside. Then there was the one that was sold in a brown paper bag so you couldn't tell exactly what you were getting. The artwork on the 1990 box set was right on in that regard. Featuring the crop circles may have been the last great decision by the Led Zeppelin organization.

When I interviewed John Paul Jones in 2001 and acquired stories from him that dispelled some long-held myths about the band, he second-guessed his own unlimited honesty, interjecting that he'd still like to leave a little bit of mystery to Led Zeppelin. I agreed, but author Mick Wall now believes he has lost his friendship with Page by breaking that barrier from the inside and writing a biography he says is revealing and painfully accurate.

The year 2007 was a red-letter year for a wave of small things officially sanctioned by Led Zeppelin that don't necessarily hold up to the principles of enormity and mystery:

The Song Remains the Same, a grandiose film once savored at midnight showings was scaled down for your home. Oh, but we can justify this because in-home TVs and sound systems are better nowadays. Sure, but that doesn't explain why an inferior version of the movie was ever available on VHS in the first place. (Does anybody remember VCRs?)

Mothership was a two-disc distillation of the group's studio output, and it was a rehash of not one but two other very similar distillations the band had produced. But this can be condoned because it's only a sampler that introduces new generations to the real stuff, right? And the artwork on Mothership is great and mysterious, right?

iTunes began selling Led Zeppelin tracks individually for a buck apiece. The "it's only a sampler" argument to defend this decision is on even shakier ground here.

The band started putting short videos on its own YouTube channel. It wasn't just the few promotional relics that were made years ago for "Whole Lotta Love" and "Travelling Riverside Blues." It was live footage. It's great to see this stuff, but it's minimalistic and low-quality, and YouTube just smells like populism. Peter Grant takes another spin around in his grave.

Led Zeppelin launched its own official Web site, one component of which is the gateway to an online marketplace of officially sanctioned merchandise. As a result, fans can toss their dollars at a company called Bravado to get a Led Zeppelin beach towel and matching bag, a barstool, a blacklight poster, a hoodie. Peter Grant is getting his workout in the cemetery as long as there's another dollar out there to be earned off of Led Zeppelin's name with the stars and stripes behind it.

One other event in 2007 that is important to the legacy of Led Zeppelin is that reunion concert held one year ago this month. While the world wanted to knock down the doors of the O2 arena on Dec. 10 and get a peek inside, the number of people who were there was less than 20,000. This was a way of resisting the temptation to cater to the masses. The goal was simply to pay tribute to Ahmet Ertegun with all proceeds going to the education fund started in his name. How'd they do? "Hey, Ahmet, we did it!" I think they pulled this off incredibly well despite the initial glitches in the ticketing process.

But since that O2 concert was filmed, there must be temptation to release a video of it. You can almost guarantee it would outsell Lil Wayne and Kid Rock and Katy Perry combined. But isn't that just the point? They'd just be making more money, and they don't need that. They'd be catering to public demand, and the Led Zeppelin of old might have been against that.

The other day, I speculated here that a one-off Led Zeppelin reunion filmed in ground-breaking 3-D could satiate unlimited generations of fans forever. But that's precisely my point: Why would Led Zeppelin set out to satiate its fans? Page must be well aware that the law of diminishing returns predicts the demand for a 3-D theatrical release wouldn't sustain itself over time. If you make Led Zeppelin so accessible to the consumer and increase the supply, what does that eventually do to the demand?

Maybe that concept is exactly what Plant was thinking earlier this year when he told GQ magazine why he didn't feel a Led Zeppelin world tour was something he wanted to do. Plant said, "Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans. We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms." Would a 3-D theatrical release be acceptable and defensible?

On the other hand, would it be only one of many options that would distill and minimize our mammoth rock group? Our hopes for a reunion tour and a new album would only appease our selfish demands. Man, we're just coddled fans who feel we deserve everything we want. We're nothing more than spoiled brats demanding Santa Claus to provide everything on our wish list. Doesn't all of this reek of compromising the principles of our favorite band ever?

But who here has compromised it? Who's the guilty party? Look again at everything that happened in 2007. Isn't this something Led Zeppelin has compromised itself?

And now that we have a little taste, now that the band has reunited so perfectly and proven itself capable of giving a flawless performance once again, we only want more. Can you blame us? Anyone can see that the genie has been let out of the bottle. Perhaps, as Page famously suggested to Mojo magazine a year ago, they never should have let the genie out of the bottle.

Screw it, Jimmy. Go ahead and tell us what your next band will be like. Forget your image. Just go out there and play some killer music already. Do it quickly before John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham slip away from your grasp once and for all. Can't you see that Michael Lee is already gone. Robert Plant's a lost cause. You can have Jones and Bonham today. Go and get them.

Defending the work of Led Zeppelin is a task that is unending. But your work as Jimmy Page the artist is for a limited time only. You must act now.

Devoted fans are standing by.

Another opportunity for me to say...

"Jimmy, JPJ.....give Jason a chance!" (if he wants to :D )

He's the answer B)

I agree. It would be interesting, would be simple and such a different angle than any other new singer. Being that its a few steps away from led zeppelin, would think this could be cool and would give page and jones a chance to play some of their instrumental songs on a tour and maybe some zeppelin tracks done as instrumentals as well.

JPJ said it all. When he knows what path they are going to take, he will LET US KNOW. The inverse being that they will not, for instance, write a whole album over the course of the next year and then release it unexpectedly. When they get serious about starting the formal project, whatever it is, they are going to let us know. And I just don't see it languishing in this limbo for too much longer. They spent most of the year killing time waiting for Robert. They are not going to sit around much longer. We know JPJ and Jimmy are still palling around together to this day because they were seen at that show together not long ago. So the game is still afoot.

Archived