New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

The point about Jimmy, though, is that people interested in any shows they might do would know who he is--he doesn't need the Zeppelin name for people who would be interested in this new band to buy tickets. They've heard of Jimmy Page without having to be reminded that he was the guiarist with Led Zeppelin.

The point about Jimmy, though, is that people interested in any shows they might do would know who he is--he doesn't need the Zeppelin name for people who would be interested in this new band to buy tickets. They've heard of Jimmy Page without having to be reminded that he was the guiarist with Led Zeppelin.

That's a bit of an unknown, I think. Would you bank on it? You're in New Orleans, right? The Saints just had their first nonsellout in three or four years. Sure, if the tour is one of 10,000 venues, then they'll be OK - a lot depends on the magnitude of this thing. Will they play the Superdome or the basketball arena (where Chris Paul and the Hornets sold out their home opener).

I was hanging out with some younger guys who play in bands last night, and they love Jimmy Page, and love Led Zeppelin. There's no doubt LZ has connected with the younger generations (Myles Kennedy has not - Myles as Jimmy's singer doesn't go over too well).

The winning formula on an American tour is this:

1) Use the name, though as a subtitle

2) Keep ticket prices low - don't do a Yuppie Eagles tour

3) Give millions to charity

Note to Knebby: That's my opinion. I've not run this by Jimmy. But if you have his number, send it my way.

Note to Knebby: That's my opinion. I've not run this by Jimmy. But if you have his number, send it my way.

I'm so sorry if my pointing out where you were blatantly presenting fiction as facts elsewhere has upset you. I'll try to allow your personal ideas on what happens behind the scenes ( ie "Sir" Jimmy is in charge of everything and gives all his money to charity) to find their way into urban myth in future. :rolleyes:

That's a bit of an unknown, I think. Would you bank on it? You're in New Orleans, right? The Saints just had their first nonsellout in three or four years. Sure, if the tour is one of 10,000 venues, then they'll be OK - a lot depends on the magnitude of this thing. Will they play the Superdome or the basketball arena (where Chris Paul and the Hornets sold out their home opener).

Yes, absolutely.

And no.

:D

I'm so sorry if my pointing out where you were blatantly presenting fiction as facts elsewhere has upset you. I'll try to allow your personal ideas on what happens behind the scenes ( ie "Sir" Jimmy is in charge of everything and gives all his money to charity) to find their way into urban myth in future. :rolleyes:

Upset? Far from it.

But if you're suggesting Jimmy Page is not the leader of Led Zeppelin, allow me to be the troll under that bridge of nonsense. :D

"As much as people like to bash Robert Plant's solo career, Jimmy and John Paul's post-Zep careers have been far less prolific, successful or memorable. Clearly not because of lack of musicianship but more lack of good songwriting partners. I can't remember the last time I heard a song by the Firm or Coverdale-Page. The songs just weren't that good.

In my opinion, there has to be new material and there has to be at least a couple of really good songs, otherwise it could all backfire and they look like old men reliving their past. They need a great singer that can handle the Zep tunes without trying to sound like Robert. He or she hopefully adds something special to the creative process and isn't just singing the songs."

Black&Gold,

Some great points you made. The writing is a key factor in this project. The RP/JP factor in Zep music was/is one of the greatest ever. Robert was the perfect foil for Jimmy's powerful musical themes. They were both hungry absorbers of new sounds and foreign musical rhythms. It was a key factor in keeping Zep fresh throughout.

Their work had a brash playfulness and joy even when the music got heavy. They had a "feel" that expressed itself beyond the notes. I couldn't wait to hear what new sound Jimmy would bring to the table. What new riff he could write that would be a game changer that others would follow. There was an innocence about abducting Eastern melodies back in the day. Now that it's been done, it's hard to go there again; at least on a massive pop scale like Zep did. Although Jimmy was the architect, all four stellar members comprised the Architecture. Besides bringing the "hippy drippy" lyrics, Lord of the Rings references, historical blues themes Robert had a way with "selling" it vocally that none in my opinion have ever had. It's an actor's ability.

Robert had a passion in his voice that goes beyond just singing. Plant was born out of Janice Joplin's crushed passion and Billie Holiday's incredible pain. It was off-putting to some, for sure, but for me it was the icing on the cake. His studder on N'N'N'N'N'Nobody's Fault But Mine; his scat singing on What is and What should Never Be, and all his vocal gymnastics were "sexy" in some orgasmic way. I can't think of one singer today that carries that off without sounding forced or trite. The last guy who could, passed away 11 years ago (Jeff Buckley). As I've said before, I think it has more to do with this age of music, the public's acceptance of that type of expression than it has to do with the capabilities of the singer on the market.

The generation of musical children, that Zep spawned; in particular the ones inspired by Robert, could only copy/mimic the more earnest bombast of his style. Most missed the point. The Viking warrior Robert embodied in the Immigrant song spawned a whole genre of metal seriousness. What they missed entirely was the sexiness of Robert's vocal nakedness. His courage and naivete to to expose himself and be cool in the process. NO BODY does this today.

Maybe it's by contrast alone that Plant/Zep could flourish. From the uptight John Wayne tough guy comes the sexy wailing banshee, that fems it up but is somehow even more male! Robert had a confidence that would broadcast at full volume. In todays world his 70's stage persona is a gay prima dona. Even though our society has "opened" considerably our art has constricted/narrowed in how it relates. As a past revisited he's accepted. Copiers are scorned. Imitators are tossed off as children wearing dady' shoes. I guess it's just a natural course of things.

A lot of who I think are today's best (within the last 15 years or so), (Cornell, Myles, Ian Thornley all have Plant-like facets -that's why I like them) are of a different dimension than Plant's 70's man. They all do angst - extremely well. They all do "personal sensitive" into "overwrought anger" really well. They all "get" the blues in a modern age influenced way. They all hit the operatic wail and dig deep for the personal pain. I think that Blue Train is almost a nod by Robert to the personal pain that today's best seem to do so well.

If you take Alter Bridge as an example. They are musically borne out of a strong love of late 80's metal (Metallica/Slayer) employed in "lighter" pop themes. From a business standpoint they are capitalizing on a market they created with Creed (A Perl Jam sound-alike with spiritual overtones - both loved and hated for the same reasons) and at the same time distancing themselves from it. Big Ballady Journey numbers with Metallica chops and bombast. Myles is bringing them more towards the blues that's in his blood, but he also has a knack for writing the big blustery ballads inspired by none other than Stairway. His songwriting seems very familiar at first listen and can be easily dismissed as tribute until you realize that he has tremendous craft. He can write a catchy melody. He's a top notch player to boot. One of his first incarnations was called Citizen Swing. Myles admittedly cringes at some aspects of his young performance but there are portions that expose some early strengths and only underly his current vehicle AlterBridge.

Listen to Motor Mama and Can't Complain

Citizen Swing: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=59971144

He digs the classic R&B and can refer to the 40's swing feel that Jimmy always incorporated into his live repertoire. I think that that is the connect. They all share a reverence for classic Jazz and R&B. It's what MADE Bonham. Myles albiet a generation removed. Having a common musical language when writing is essential to communicate composition.

Myles, by experience, does not necessarily have the vocal playfulness that Robert brought, but I do think he's earnestly passionate enough to "sell it" if given the chance. It's not just about the chops. It's what Steven Tyler has; that over-the-top-jazz-rooted-scat-singing freedom, but he is just over the hill IMHO.

I do GET the idea that Jimmy needs someone to challenge him musically. Myles might be too generic/of today for most. Not exotic enough and Jimmy falls too easily into the sophomoric. I LOVE the Coverdale/Page CD, musically, but it's cringeworthy in moments because of that 80's poser metal mentality that DC falls into. I definitely think that should avoid the 80's altogether.

JpJ is the "Arranger". He takes the pieces and embellishes and augments. He's the glue that will make the new stuff last. He's a riffage/proggey leaning musician's musician, that's as comfortable in R&B as he is in Country music. That's a broad range to be fluent in. His impact will be immeasurable. I look forward to wonderful instrumentation and intricate interplay. I only pray that they don't low-tech the approach. I want layers and deep listening.

Jason needs to crawl out of the box on this one too. Stop trying to fill his Dad's shoes and just be Jason. He shares much more with Myles than he does with his uncles Jimmy and John. I think that will be key in writing in this environment. How open will the old guys be to the "youngster's ideas? Who will challenge who? Who's instincts will win out? How "forward" will the new stuff be? How "backward"? How will our narrow pre-conceptions be? How do you create innocent joyful music when you're a hard worn veteran in a jaded cynical world? This for certain will be interesting.

Sorry for being so typey.

Nice,And I can't wait for these Questions to be answered

This seems pretty reliable, from RollingStone.com:

John Paul Jones Hints At Led Zeppelin Tour Without Robert Plant

10/27/08, 10:53 am EST

After weeks of rumor and hearsay, Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones has all but confirmed the band will soon hit the road again. Unfortunately, the reunion this time won’t include Robert Plant. As Jones said to a Manson’s Guitar Show in England last weekend, Jimmy Page, Jason Bohnam and himself are all “itching” to hit the road after reuniting in London back in December 2007. However, Plant has been occupied with his tour with Alison Krauss. So while Plant hopes to reunite with his Led Zep bandmates “in a couple of years,” Jones said Led Zeppelin will instead go on tour with another vocalist in place. “As soon as we know who it is, we’ll let you know who it is,” Jones said of the new singer. (For Rock Daily’s YouTube replacement singers, click here!) This may all be just posturing in an attempt to force Plant’s hand to join them on tour, despite Plant’s claims that he won’t tour again “for at least the next two years.” In news that Led Zeppelin fans might enjoy more than the prospect of seeing the band with another singer, Jones also hinted that the band’s legendary reunion concert from London’s O2 Arena might eventually be released on DVD.

Update: John Paul Jones told the BBC that Led Zeppelin is not looking for a Robert Plant clone. “You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don’t want to be our own tribute band,” Jones said.

"As much as people like to bash Robert Plant's solo career, Jimmy and John Paul's post-Zep careers have been far less prolific, successful or memorable. Clearly not because of lack of musicianship but more lack of good songwriting partners. I can't remember the last time I heard a song by the Firm or Coverdale-Page. The songs just weren't that good.

In my opinion, there has to be new material and there has to be at least a couple of really good songs, otherwise it could all backfire and they look like old men reliving their past. They need a great singer that can handle the Zep tunes without trying to sound like Robert. He or she hopefully adds something special to the creative process and isn't just singing the songs."

Black&Gold,

Some great points you made. The writing is a key factor in this project. The RP/JP factor in Zep music was/is one of the greatest ever. Robert was the perfect foil for Jimmy's powerful musical themes. They were both hungry absorbers of new sounds and foreign musical rhythms. It was a key factor in keeping Zep fresh throughout.

Their work had a brash playfulness and joy even when the music got heavy. They had a "feel" that expressed itself beyond the notes. I couldn't wait to hear what new sound Jimmy would bring to the table. What new riff he could write that would be a game changer that others would follow. There was an innocence about abducting Eastern melodies back in the day. Now that it's been done, it's hard to go there again; at least on a massive pop scale like Zep did. Although Jimmy was the architect, all four stellar members comprised the Architecture. Besides bringing the "hippy drippy" lyrics, Lord of the Rings references, historical blues themes Robert had a way with "selling" it vocally that none in my opinion have ever had. It's an actor's ability.

Robert had a passion in his voice that goes beyond just singing. Plant was born out of Janice Joplin's crushed passion and Billie Holiday's incredible pain. It was off-putting to some, for sure, but for me it was the icing on the cake. His studder on N'N'N'N'N'Nobody's Fault But Mine; his scat singing on What is and What should Never Be, and all his vocal gymnastics were "sexy" in some orgasmic way. I can't think of one singer today that carries that off without sounding forced or trite. The last guy who could, passed away 11 years ago (Jeff Buckley). As I've said before, I think it has more to do with this age of music, the public's acceptance of that type of expression than it has to do with the capabilities of the singer on the market.

The generation of musical children, that Zep spawned; in particular the ones inspired by Robert, could only copy/mimic the more earnest bombast of his style. Most missed the point. The Viking warrior Robert embodied in the Immigrant song spawned a whole genre of metal seriousness. What they missed entirely was the sexiness of Robert's vocal nakedness. His courage and naivete to to expose himself and be cool in the process. NO BODY does this today.

Maybe it's by contrast alone that Plant/Zep could flourish. From the uptight John Wayne tough guy comes the sexy wailing banshee, that fems it up but is somehow even more male! Robert had a confidence that would broadcast at full volume. In todays world his 70's stage persona is a gay prima dona. Even though our society has "opened" considerably our art has constricted/narrowed in how it relates. As a past revisited he's accepted. Copiers are scorned. Imitators are tossed off as children wearing dady' shoes. I guess it's just a natural course of things.

A lot of who I think are today's best (within the last 15 years or so), (Cornell, Myles, Ian Thornley all have Plant-like facets -that's why I like them) are of a different dimension than Plant's 70's man. They all do angst - extremely well. They all do "personal sensitive" into "overwrought anger" really well. They all "get" the blues in a modern age influenced way. They all hit the operatic wail and dig deep for the personal pain. I think that Blue Train is almost a nod by Robert to the personal pain that today's best seem to do so well.

If you take Alter Bridge as an example. They are musically borne out of a strong love of late 80's metal (Metallica/Slayer) employed in "lighter" pop themes. From a business standpoint they are capitalizing on a market they created with Creed (A Perl Jam sound-alike with spiritual overtones - both loved and hated for the same reasons) and at the same time distancing themselves from it. Big Ballady Journey numbers with Metallica chops and bombast. Myles is bringing them more towards the blues that's in his blood, but he also has a knack for writing the big blustery ballads inspired by none other than Stairway. His songwriting seems very familiar at first listen and can be easily dismissed as tribute until you realize that he has tremendous craft. He can write a catchy melody. He's a top notch player to boot. One of his first incarnations was called Citizen Swing. Myles admittedly cringes at some aspects of his young performance but there are portions that expose some early strengths and only underly his current vehicle AlterBridge.

Listen to Motor Mama and Can't Complain

Citizen Swing: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=59971144

He digs the classic R&B and can refer to the 40's swing feel that Jimmy always incorporated into his live repertoire. I think that that is the connect. They all share a reverence for classic Jazz and R&B. It's what MADE Bonham. Myles albiet a generation removed. Having a common musical language when writing is essential to communicate composition.

Myles, by experience, does not necessarily have the vocal playfulness that Robert brought, but I do think he's earnestly passionate enough to "sell it" if given the chance. It's not just about the chops. It's what Steven Tyler has; that over-the-top-jazz-rooted-scat-singing freedom, but he is just over the hill IMHO.

I do GET the idea that Jimmy needs someone to challenge him musically. Myles might be too generic/of today for most. Not exotic enough and Jimmy falls too easily into the sophomoric. I LOVE the Coverdale/Page CD, musically, but it's cringeworthy in moments because of that 80's poser metal mentality that DC falls into. I definitely think that should avoid the 80's altogether.

JpJ is the "Arranger". He takes the pieces and embellishes and augments. He's the glue that will make the new stuff last. He's a riffage/proggey leaning musician's musician, that's as comfortable in R&B as he is in Country music. That's a broad range to be fluent in. His impact will be immeasurable. I look forward to wonderful instrumentation and intricate interplay. I only pray that they don't low-tech the approach. I want layers and deep listening.

Jason needs to crawl out of the box on this one too. Stop trying to fill his Dad's shoes and just be Jason. He shares much more with Myles than he does with his uncles Jimmy and John. I think that will be key in writing in this environment. How open will the old guys be to the "youngster's ideas? Who will challenge who? Who's instincts will win out? How "forward" will the new stuff be? How "backward"? How will our narrow pre-conceptions be? How do you create innocent joyful music when you're a hard worn veteran in a jaded cynical world? This for certain will be interesting.

Phenomenal post BUK. :goodpost: You have completely summed up everything that has been going on this forum post O2. Very well done. Not sure how much support you will get for Myles though. A lot of people here are against the idea. Several months ago, you were the first to suggest him. Not sure which thread that was on, but you included a number of links to Alter Bridge videos. I think I was the first person to agree with you on Myles as a good choice for singer, if that matters to you. Chris Cornell would be a good choice as well. Both are great choices. Chris has said he hasn'r been approached and seems to be busy with an upcoming solo project.

Keep the great exposes coming. :thumbsup::soapbox:

:yourock:

This seems pretty reliable, from RollingStone.com:

John Paul Jones Hints At Led Zeppelin Tour Without Robert Plant

10/27/08, 10:53 am EST

After weeks of rumor and hearsay, Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones has all but confirmed the band will soon hit the road again. Unfortunately, the reunion this time won’t include Robert Plant. As Jones said to a Manson’s Guitar Show in England last weekend, Jimmy Page, Jason Bohnam and himself are all “itching” to hit the road after reuniting in London back in December 2007. However, Plant has been occupied with his tour with Alison Krauss. So while Plant hopes to reunite with his Led Zep bandmates “in a couple of years,” Jones said Led Zeppelin will instead go on tour with another vocalist in place. “As soon as we know who it is, we’ll let you know who it is,” Jones said of the new singer. (For Rock Daily’s YouTube replacement singers, click here!) This may all be just posturing in an attempt to force Plant’s hand to join them on tour, despite Plant’s claims that he won’t tour again “for at least the next two years.” In news that Led Zeppelin fans might enjoy more than the prospect of seeing the band with another singer, Jones also hinted that the band’s legendary reunion concert from London’s O2 Arena might eventually be released on DVD.

Update: John Paul Jones told the BBC that Led Zeppelin is not looking for a Robert Plant clone. “You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don’t want to be our own tribute band,” Jones said.

Absolutely amazing how they can twist things. So here, the inference is that Robert has asked them to 'wait' for him and they've said no, we're doing it without you. Absolute bollocks. He just isn't interested.

Key word there in the headline is MAY -- mainstream media still doesn't know what's going on, so not only have the main media outlets stayed away from the story until the last few days or so (LA Times, AP), they are couching their terms. While we've been discussing it for months, it's just now sinking in to the rest of the world that Robert Plant has said NO. Yet they're still not sure, and they want to get what John Paul said correctly, so the word is MAY. Jonesy didn't actually say Plant won't be involved -- but Plant did, as we know. Somebody who works for AP is going to be conservative with his or her angle. From a mainstream perspective, Led Zeppelin without its lead singer is still the story and will remain the story (unfortunate but it's true), and they're not going to delve much into the details of the fact that there really is no Led Zeppelin without Peter Grant and Bonzo anyway.

All of which leads me to think the name will be used in some way, though it won't be trumpeted that THIS IS LED ZEPPELIN.

Yeah, it boils down to MSM reliance on brief soundbites, as well as needing to drum up Drama with a capital D to try to sell air time... "Ooh, there's Drama in Led Zeppelin land."

I was originally thinking it wouldn't be any big deal if Jimmy, John Paul and Jason want to call themselves Led Zeppelin, since we all know who they are, after all... but now, I'm thinking they should call themselves something else, if only to take heat off whoever sings for them. Bad enough the comparisons will be thick from the start without them having to be billed as Plant's Replacement (with a capital R).

But, like the MSM, it'd be hard for a band as humongous as Zep is to give up the built in recognition those two words stand for.

Well, no, if we can't speculate and sound off and have to wait for an official statement, what's the point of having this forum??

Jimmy's going to put the name in play. He's done due diligence with Robert.

Well put, Mercurious!

Worth the ready, BUK, thanks for that. This especially:

Who will challenge who? Who's instincts will win out? How "forward" will the new stuff be? How "backward"? How will our narrow pre-conceptions be? How do you create innocent joyful music when you're a hard worn veteran in a jaded cynical world? This for certain will be interesting.

I know that I'm very excited by the possibilities you imply with this one paragraph! I hope that the fans bring the broadened sensibilities to a new Bonham/Jones/Page/? collaboration that they often bring to Plant's solo work!

And judging by the smiles I've seen on Jimmy's face, on Jonesey's face, on Jason's face... well, I think music brings joy even to the jaded veteran. :)

Absolutely amazing how they can twist things. So here, the inference is that Robert has asked them to 'wait' for him and they've said no, we're doing it without you. Absolute bollocks. He just isn't interested.

Don't you love how the media report things so completely accurate, just for sales and exposure. What a bunch of a$%holes. Completely different than what we know already. :nuke:

Besides bringing the "hippy drippy" lyrics, Lord of the Rings references, historical blues themes Robert had a way with "selling" it vocally that none in my opinion have ever had. It's an actor's ability.

Wow Buk that was a very good insight.

Though I really believe that Robert is irreplaceable, since he is now out of the picture, I hope JP, JPJ and JB find a really, really good vocalist. The vocalist IMHO is the bridge between the musicians and the audience. No matter how good the material is if the bridge is not inviting, or worse not very solid, then there is a chance the greatness of the music will not go through. Of course there are instrumentals but a face gets the message through more. :)

If They Would Like A Singer To Bring Back the Music Of Led Zeppelin To The Fans Why Not Ask Terry Reid, I Mean After All It Was His Job Well Before It Was Robert Plant's.To Be Honest If Terry Wouldn't Have Recommended Robert's Name To Jimmy Over Forty Years Ago Good Old Robert Would Never Have This Legacy He Appears To Be Ashamed Of.

If They Would Like A Singer To Bring Back the Music Of Led Zeppelin To The Fans Why Not Ask Terry Reid, I Mean After All It Was His Job Well Before It Was Robert Plant's.To Be Honest If Terry Wouldn't Have Recommended Robert's Name To Jimmy Over Forty Years Ago Good Old Robert Would Never Have This Legacy He Appears To Be Ashamed Of.

I don't think he is ashamed of his time in Led Zeppelin and I think he is proud of his legacy. He told some great stories from his days in Zeppelin while working in Nashville, although I think the couple I heard him tell were sanitized and toned-down for his Bible Belt audience. (Which is also entirely appropriate and indicative of his great people skills.)

Robert not wanting to reunite with Zep and tour has nothing whatsoever to do with being ashamed of his past. I think he's quite proud of those days but for him, they're over and he's focused on pursuing other musical avenues.

I had a crazy idea today for a guest vocalist if they go that route - I would love to hear Bono sing with them. :) I did a little You Tubing and found this:

He would bring in the light and shade and has a great range; he is one of the few singers whose voice I would consider to be that sort of instrument; yet still very different from Robert's. I would love to hear him with the J's :)

Some vintage Bono live :) :

Archived