Frontmen Of Rock

Rock N' Rollin' Man

Frontman of Rock  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Frontman of Rock of all time?

• Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Alice Cooper
    • Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
    • Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Other
  2. 2. If Robert, who would be second?

• David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    • Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
    • Alice Cooper
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    • Other

Going a little retro w/the 80s and 90s threads on the Other Bands forum, I would be inclined to add Michael Hutchence to the list (not the greatest, but on the list of the good ones).

Nice idea Virginia,I've always thought that MH moved around the stage,and in the video clips, like a young Jim Morrison.

My first vote went to Robert Plant for stage presence and screamability,on the day of performance Zep at their best with Plant out front were unbeatable.

Second vote went to Bon Scott,'nuff said.;)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After Robert Plant (my number one pick), I suppose from the list given I'd pick Mick Jagger. That is in part due to the energy and his ability to dance onstage like none of the others mentioned (at least in the early days).

I would also have voted for David Gimour in third place, but not sure if he is considered a frontman or co-frontman with Roger Waters alongside for the premier Pink Floyd years.

For females since we are talking rock, my pick would be Ann Wilson of Heart. I saw them in 1980 or 81 and she brought the house down with her skills and onstage presence. ......... :) missy

Well personally speaking I always thought a "frontman" as being part of the show, part of the band. He had to be able to carry a tune in a bucket I guess but there's more to it that just singing. Bowie is a personal favorite but I always thought of him as a solo artist and not necessarily a frontman..........even with the Spiders.

Jagger, Morrision, Plant, Daltrey, Steven Tyler, Steve Marriott, Freddie Mercury even.........to me these people define "frontman". Their vocal capabilities vary but I think all of them were fronting their respective bands with certain levels of showmanship. They weren't just.......singers.

Opinions vary.

Well personally speaking I always thought a "frontman" as being part of the show, part of the band. He had to be able to carry a tune in a bucket I guess but there's more to it that just singing. Bowie is a personal favorite but I always thought of him as a solo artist and not necessarily a frontman..........even with the Spiders.

Jagger, Morrision, Plant, Daltrey, Steven Tyler, Steve Marriott, Freddie Mercury even.........to me these people define "frontman". Their vocal capabilities vary but I think all of them were fronting their respective bands with certain levels of showmanship. They weren't just.......singers.

Opinions vary.

Hello, dazed cat. The dictionary said, "the leader or visual focus of a group of musicians, usually the singer." Most singers do have a backing group of musicians so that is where I got tripped up, but they are more solo artists, I think.

I also think I was confusing frontman with showman. In the case of stage showmanship, I immediately thought of David Bowie (for the Ziggy Stardust thing) and Elton John for his stage theatrics period. I got a little off track there. But back O/T, here is one more I thought of. Robert Smith of The Cure. He would fit both criteria, wouldn't he? Singer, Frontman, and showmanship too.

But, as you pointed out, opinions may vary! Thanks for taking the time to reply....... :) missy

Edit: Thought of one more that should qualify? Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Robert Smith certainly would fit the bill I think. Hell Missy I'm not even sure where the line blurs between singer/frontman/solo artist really. I grew up in the era where every good rock band had a frontman who could sing so I guess that's how I personally define it.

Opinions always vary, as does mileage :)

I would have to say without a doubt Freddie Mercury as #1. No disrespect to Robert but I have never seen anyone with such a stage presence as Freddie. Robert would be second in my book followed by Morrison, Siouxsie Sioux and Alice Cooper. Yes, Morrison became a parody of himself in the end and the rest of the band never got the proper recognition. Too bad he could not break free of that leach Pamela Courson and that other leach addiction. Though they eventually did make his screenplay into a movie in 1986...The Hitcher.

• 4 weeks later...

Not that stage antics alone contribute to one's prowess as a frontman but Eddie Vedder's definitely worth a mention. By the same token, singers like Plant and Ronnie Van Zant oozed charisma even if they were standing stock still. By the way, if you haven't seen the Cameron Crowe documentary on Pearl Jam called Twenty yet it's certainly worth a looksee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Of the options on the second poll (since I went with Plant) I would take Jim Morrison. I voted other. I'm about to be executed when you hear who. I think Ted Nugent was the best front man. I know, calm down. Here's why: Uncle Ted has a high energy and amazing stage presence like few could even dream of. He doesn't have a great voice and never did and his studio work is mediocre at best on vocals. But when he goes live it doesn't matter that he isn't a good singer he just brings the intensity on vocals and guitar. He is therefor the best guy to have front and center I feel. He does great with a lead singer next to him like Derek St. Holmes. You still get the Nugent power and attitude because he never shuts up but with a better singing voice. There you go. Tell me I'm crazy. Also, Sammy Hagar deserves mention. Not on the poll so I'm throwing him out there as an honorable mention on my post.

• 1 year later...

I can care less about "frontmen" moving around the stage, with all the gimmicks. That's all BS to me. Singers like Jagger, Tyler, Roth - I have no use for. BTW, the shit Bono pulls - all the political BS - I hate! He (Bono) should shut up and just worry about the songs.

Robert Plant

Steve Marriot

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Chris Cornell

Eddie Vedder

Perry Farrell

Anthony Kiedis

Bob "The Bear" Hite

Bon Scott

Roger Daltrey

Bob Marley

No-one mentioned Jon Bon Jovi yet? :lol:

On a serious note, it depends what kind of frontman is to your taste. I don't really like the type who is too eager to please the audience and who instigates mass singalongs at every gig because they think that's what frontmen do "now the left side! now I wanna hear the right side....I can't hear you?!!! LOUDER!!!" all of that bullshit. It all just seems like a routine and you know they have the same patter every show. They are more showmen in my mind. Plant sat somewhere in between showman and frontman and had the balance right - he would be number one for me. Kurt Cobain would be my number 2 because he wasn't putting on a show; more bearing his soul on stage. He was charismatic, compelling and Nirvana shows seemed to have the feeling that anything might happen.

However, Steven Tyler is the best frontman I have seen live.

I have to go with the Gallagher Bros from Oasis, not because I like their music, not because either can sing for shit, simply because with Oasis you get two for the price of one. That is a concert and boxing match all in one show! Just imagine for a second how the 77' tour would have gone off if everytime Jimmy screwed up a solo, Plant would have marched over and beat his skinny ass! That would have been some sell out JFK shit right there AND I guarantee Jimmy would have gotten his act together right quick with a 6'1" athletic Plant firmly placing snakeskin boot up Page's backside.

Archived