Robert Johnson

sam_webmaster

• 3 years later...

Another legend that died at 27. How did he possibly accomplish what he did in such a short time, given the lack of technology to make himself known in a widespread fashion?

He travelled and travelled.By jumping trains,hitching rides and walking.Whether it was from a need to keep moving,to get his music to the people,or possibly a bit of both.

The stories,rumours and his manner would have also helped spread the word about him.

Check that link that Sam supplied in the first post,it's one of the better articles around the net.

• 8 months later...

Interesting article on registering Copyrights and more.

Blues Law:Robert Johnson vs. The Rolling Stones

By Brian Lukasavitz - May 13,2013

We all know the 29 classic recordings that Robert Johnson laid down in Texas during his two recording sessions in 1936 and 1937. Almost all of the legendary British blues-rockers of the ’60s… Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Zeppelin, The Stones, among others paid tribute to the music and legend of Robert Johnson, even if little was known of the musician himself.

In 1961, Columbia Records released a 2-album collection of all of Robert Johnson’s songs entitled “King of the Delta Blues Singers”. Until that point, like most blues songs of the era, none of Robert Johnson’s songs or recordings had been registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Under the 1909 Copyright Act, “unpublished works” are protected under State Law. Once “published” or registered, a song was entitled to 28 years of copyright protection (with an option to re-register for an additional 28 years).

When the Rolling Stones recorded their versions of “Love in Vain” in 1969 (Let It Bleed), and “Stop Breakin’ Down” in 1972 (Exile on Main Street), their publishing company, ABKCO Music, assumed that the two songs had already entered the public domain. At some point, presumably in the late 1980′s- early 1990′s, Steve LaVere and his publishing company, Delta Haze, had negotiated with Robert Johnson’s Estate to administer the copyrights to the music. Following the 1990 CD release of the “Robert Johnson – the Complete Recordings”, LaVere registered the copyrights.

After attempts to negotiate with ABKCO, LaVere filed a lawsuit in 1995 arguing that the songs were not in the public domain, and that he (Delta Haze) and the Estate of Robert Johnson was entitled to royalties. ABKCO Music successfully made a motion to dismiss the case in district court, arguing that due to a failure to re-register the songs after 28 years, all of Robert Johnson’s works became part of the public domain. In 2000, LaVere appealed to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He argued, based on the Amendment to the 1909 Copyright Act, for music released prior 1978, for purposes of copyright law, the term “publication” would not include commercial releases of a recording. It is on this basis that the Ninth Federal Circuit Court accepted the case.

Possibly the most interesting aspect of this case, is that by ruling against the Rolling Stones, the Ninth Circuit Court would be overturning the La Cienega case (the famous John Lee Hooker/ Z.Z. Top case), which is exactly what the court did. In deciding this case, the court found that the new amendment was in place and that the amendment merely “clarified” the definition of “publication” as used in the 1909 Copyright Act, and that the Robert Johnson federal copyright protection began in 1990, and that the Rolling Stones were infringing the rights on those two songs. The Court ultimately reversed and remanded the case back down to the District Court and stated that judgment be entered in favor of Delta Haze and the Robert Johnson estate. It is unclear what the final amount owed to Delta Haze and the estate was, as they may have settled out of court, however, one thing is certain: the “World’s Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band” paid a lot more than tribute to the “King of the Delta Blues Singers”.

The lesson here for artists (and their heirs) that wrote and released, but did not register their copyrights prior to 1978, there may be some substantial royalties due, should they get their works registered now.

As far as I am concerned, Robert Johnson is the True innovator of the Blues and what would later become Rock and Roll. His Music is classic and timeless. To me, if He truly sold His Soul to the Devil at the "Crossroads" for his innovative (at the time) guitar style and Music, it only enhances the legend of the "King of the Delta Blues".

I really do not think that this "myth" can truly be denied. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that Robert Johnson, even for his short lifespan and Music, will always go down in music History as being the pinnacle guitar player that started it all.

Just ask Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Eric Clapton, Mick and Keef, I am 100% positive They would agree with (little ole) Me.

tI don't even play the guitar, but I do know and realize that Robert Johnson is the original Master that should be acknowledged, as the "One" who started it all.

Just listen to all His songs that can be heard here:

http://youtu.be/HleLTn60BxE

• 4 weeks later...

Check that link that Sam supplied in the first post,it's one of the better articles around the net.

That Vanity Fair piece that Sam posted is indeed a fine article on Robert Johnson and certainly more worthwhile of your time than that hackneyed YouTube clip posted in that other RJ thread...that narrator's voice made me want to strangle him.

Another great piece on Robert Johnson, and the very first literature I remember reading about the man, is found in "Mystery Train" by Greil Marcus. One of the ten greatest, most essential books on music ever written.

An interesting blog review of the book is found here: http://criticalplayground.blogspot.com/2009/01/mystery-train-by-greil-marcus-book.html?m=1

Still, the best way to encounter Robert Johnson is thru his music. Leave the stories about Satan behind...they don't mean anymore to his music than they do to Led Zeppelin's.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The son of legendary Delta bluesman Robert Johnson can keep profits from the only two known photographs of his father, the Mississippi Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

The case turned on a technicality. The court ruled other family members knew as early as 1990 about the photos and royalty payments. A court declared the son, Claud Johnson, the musician's sole heir in 1998.

http://www.clarionledger.com/viewart/20140220/NEWS01/140220015/Robert-Johnson-s-son-wins-custody-photos-profits

• 2 months later...

Archived