What's your favourite drummers?

Toften

Since we got a thread about your favourite guitarist's and singer's, I thought we could make one about your favourite drummers.

John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

Mitch Mitchell (The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Dirty Mac)

Simon Kirke (Free, Bad Company)

Ian Paice (Deep Purple)

Patrick Hallahan (My Morning Jacket)

Henrik Maarud (The Grand)

Don Brewer (Grand Funk Railroad)

Ginger Baker (Cream)

Kenneth Kapstad (Motorpsycho)

Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)

John Bonham (Zeppelin)

Neil Peart (Rush)

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy)

Ginger Baker (Cream)

Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Phil Collins (Genesis)

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)

Roger Taylor (Queen)

Chris Slade (AC/DC, The Firm, Uriah Heep etc.)

Bill Bruford (Yes, King Crimson, Earthworks, Gordian Knot)

Martin Lopez (Opeth)

Billy Cobham (The Mahavishnu Orchestra)

Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree, King Crimson)

Martin Axenrot (Opeth, Bloodbath)

Sean Reinert (Cynic, Gordian Knot)

Danny Carey (Tool)

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)

Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy)

Dave Lombardo (Slayer)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with you on all the above great drummers, but as I am no expertise on this field ;) ,can you guys tell me if Lars Ulrich can be included in this list? :unsure:

By ear, as I am not able to rate him technically, I have always liked his drumming sound.

Don't know what it is, but he just sounds good to me...and therefore, one of my favourite! :D

Agree with you on all the above great drummers, but as I am no expertise on this field ;) ,can you guys tell me if Lars Ulrich can be included in this list? :unsure:

By ear, as I am not able to rate him technically, I have always liked his drumming sound.

Don't know what it is, but he just sounds good to me...and therefore, one of my favourite! :D

He'd be included on my list Amazonic B)

Besides Bonham....

Jaki Liebezeit - With Can he was the master of the reptitive but slowly envolving beat.

Ian "Reni" Wren - The best alternative/indie drummer I'v ever heard with the Stone Roses.

Elvin Jones - Only heard his work with Coltrane but he was IMHO the Bonham of jazz drummers, able to keep a driving beat while also throwing in alot extra.

I have many favorites.

But a current drummer I really admire is Nicke Andersson of The Solution (and former drummer for Entombed, as well). He's got a great feeling for the songs. These two examples show that he master any genre he would atempt, I think.

(soul)

(death metal)

On a side note, not only is he a great drummer, he's an excellent guitarist, singer and songwriter too (see The Hellacopters).

I'll stick up for you Jason! :yourock:

Oh, and I also admire..

Bonzo, of course

Roger Taylor

Ian Paice

Keith Moon

I also love Latin American music. The beats of Brazil are so infectious.There are some fantastic drummers in this genre of music. A young guy called Eloy Casagrande is amazing!

I have many favorites.

But a current drummer I really admire is Nicke Andersson of The Solution (and former drummer for Entombed, as well). He's got a great feeling for the songs. These two examples show that he master any genre he would atempt, I think.

(soul)

(death metal)

On a side note, not only is he a great drummer, he's an excellent guitarist, singer and songwriter too (see The Hellacopters).

Woah, I've been meaning to get into Entombed (as well as other classic Death Metal bands)

Now I know they have a great drummer I'll definitely check Entombed out soon.

Woah, I've been meaning to get into Entombed (as well as other classic Death Metal bands)

Now I know they have a great drummer I'll definitely check Entombed out soon.

Cool. I must admit I'm not the worlds greatest Death Metal fan, but it's enjoyable to listen to if the musicians and performance is great.

Nicke has resently started a new Death Metal band called Death Breath, where he also play the drums. They have made a couple of albums which all is in the old school D.M. style. If you're intrested, check 'em out at:

http://www.myspace.com/deathbreathdeathmetal

or

http://www.deathbreath.se/

This promo video is awsome as well, very funny and inpired by old B-movies. Trivia: The songs the girl hears on the radio is drummer Nickes other/former bands, Hellacopters and The Solution. She swears and wonder why they play such shitty music on the radio. :D

Interesting, you don't usually hear drumming like that in a Death Metal band. I may check out Death Breath's album one of these days. It doesn't seem to have all around great reviews, but most of those people think only 400 bpm blastbeats and the lowest possible vocals are 'Death Metal'.

Archived