Do we really want this?

caroselambra~

They did play Going To California here in 1990 along with Nobody's Fault and Immigrant Song sans the openning scream. The highlight of the night for me was Tye Dye On The Highway. Great lighting that set the mood for that song perfectly. Again, another sold out show at the Pacific Coliseum

You're right, and I'm going to correct myself. Now I'm thinking they played Nobody's Fault on the Fall '88 tour as well. I wrote the set lists from shows I attended and I just have to dig them out. In 1990 they also played No Quarter, Wearing And Tearing, and Living Loving Maid.

In any case, it was great to hear Robert singing Zep songs.

Sorry I got so far off topic. Veering back to the thread, I'm saying that I would enjoy hearing Jimmy, Jason, John Paul, and singer-TBA playing Zep songs but I'm also looking forward to hearing new music from them.

This article is exhibit A for why:

A. it must not be called led Zeppelin

B. it must not happen without new material

C. it must be heavy enough to silence the ageists

Nobody tells, for instance, the guys in Heaven and Hell they should be playing adult contemporary because they've reached a certain age. You have to be true to your musical soul. If Jimmy and JPJ want to rock, then rock they will, regardless of whether they look "silly" or not.

Edited by mos6507

SPIN editor Steve Kandell comments about LZ's search and struggle to reunite with a new frontman and how it isn't necessarily Plant's fault, but Page and Jones'. Just read it as being more entertaining than critical. Read it and comment.

It's amazing how many "legit" media sources are still reporting this as "a new lead singer for Led Zeppelin" rather than Page and Jones working with a new singer. I mean, are Jimmy and John Paul supposed to never create anything together because Robert doesn't want to be a part of it?

It's amazing how many "legit" media sources are still reporting this as "a new lead singer for Led Zeppelin" rather than Page and Jones working with a new singer. I mean, are Jimmy and John Paul supposed to never create anything together because Robert doesn't want to be a part of it?

There are those out there who would like to cash in on the Led Zeppelin name who do not have the best interests of the original members at heart and would like to own Led Zeppelin themselves.

If I were Jimmy Page I would let Led Zeppelin be the outstanding legacy that it is, leave the door open for Robert Plant if and when he ever changed his mind, and move on with a new band with a new name and a new singer for the present project.

You're right, and I'm going to correct myself. Now I'm thinking they played Nobody's Fault on the Fall '88 tour as well. I wrote the set lists from shows I attended and I just have to dig them out. In 1990 they also played No Quarter, Wearing And Tearing, and Living Loving Maid.

In any case, it was great to hear Robert singing Zep songs.

Sorry I got so far off topic. Veering back to the thread, I'm saying that I would enjoy hearing Jimmy, Jason, John Paul, and singer-TBA playing Zep songs but I'm also looking forward to hearing new music from them.

Yep, for all the crying in my beer that I do about Robert not being part of this project ;) , I am still very much looking forward to what comes

First off, did we really want Page Plant?

I missed JPJ's organ playing in the 98 tour when they did No Quarter.

That said, I loved both tours.

I saw JPJ at Massey Hall solo and it was amazing.

I saw the Queen Show with Paul Rogers and loved it.

To me it s a relief that as musicians, the three of them think they can create magic with a new singer. They are artists who want and need to express their music. Harvey Goldsmith is a business person and it is absurd for him to say they should not do it.

If you have the music in you and you don't express it, you die plain and simple.

I was relieved to hear the words from JPJ's mouth about all this.

And what can they call themselves???

Come on man!!!

They gave themselves symbols on the 4th album. There was no name for that album.

There are two symbols left without R Plant's.

Why even name the band? Keep it like the old days, imaginative and unspoken

What a great idea!

You know, it doesn't matter what they call themselves... the media will always call it "Led Zeppelin" as they do already. The whole push for the past year has been about Led Zeppelin. It's not going to go "poof" no matter what... they'll just be "of Led Zeppelin fame," as they've always been.

Music, that's what we all need.

If just the once I can sit in a hall listening to Jimmy Page on his guitar, John Paul Jones on his bass... Jason in there with them... "imaginative and unspoken..." I would be so happy.

Yeah, but let's not make it sound like they bought their tickets to see this guy they didn't know; they're called Allison Krauss fans. It seems like some people forget that Allison had just as much to do with the success of Raising Sand as Robert did.

Not to mention T-Bone Burnett, Mark Ribot, Jay Bellerose, and Suart Duncan, and Dennis Crouch.

That's right. Well, you know, apparently Plant is doing them all a favor, protecting their legacy from addle-brained old man foolishness. Worse - greedy addle-brained foolishness...

:rolleyes:

What complete bullshit. Why three prodigously talented musicians shouldn't get out and play because one mellowing singer doesn't want to rock with them any more is beyond me. Just watched the Foo Fighters with Jimmy and Jonesy again, and they rocked the house! 86,000 fans were in bliss, too. Of course they can and should do it!

As great as it would be to see this happen – I am really against this tour.

I sympathize with Robert who may now find himself in the unenviable position of being compared to another lead vocalist in a band that was his flesh and blood.

We have seen the reformation of all but a few successful bands throughout the ages.

I admire the ones who seemingly turn down vast sums of money to cash in on a once great name.

Although they seem to be in the minority.

I want to remember them the way there were and see no reason why they should try to re-live the past.

Caroselambra~

.....After reading about this news here and in Press in general, I think this is all just a "controversy - hype" created to show just how much the fans want to see Led Zep. I don't think The Band wants to go out there and tour like Rollingstones, etc... They want to be exceptional and tour on "grounds of respect from fans"...I think this is all good "publicity" if I can call it such...$$$ fame fortune is definitely not an issue for this band, it is the "reaction and Respect" from the fans, as grounds for tour...

I think Robert will tour after proving to the world/media at large just how much fans want the Band "together".... ( For sure, Robert will bring in fresh creativity on stage...he will not make the redundancy mistake of the 80's career (he admitted it, and no way he will do another "Rollingstone tour"). Led Zep wants to leave their legacy behind as respectable musicians, not as greedy musicians.

Whether they tour or not in the end, I totally respect their decision.........

I don't understand the argument here. I mean, first sentence--yes, they are reporting it this way, because it makes an attention-grabbing story, though we know that that ("a new lead singer for Zeppelin") isn't really what's going on. But how does that connect with the second sentence? A number of people recently having been asking why JP and JPJ can't go out and do what they like if Robert can, why are they supposed to never create anything together if Robert doesn't want to be a part of it, etc. But I've never seen anybody suggest they can't or shouldn't. Am I totally missing something?--because this seems like a manufactured argument to me. Of course JP and JPJ should get out there and do whatever they like, and as fast as possible, along with Jason, and tour as many places as possible, preferably playing near me. Has anybody been saying they should stay home if Robert's otherwise engaged? :huh:

I don't understand the argument here. I mean, first sentence--yes, they are reporting it this way, because it makes an attention-grabbing story, though we know that that ("a new lead singer for Zeppelin") isn't really what's going on. But how does that connect with the second sentence? A number of people recently having been asking why JP and JPJ can't go out and do what they like if Robert can, why are they supposed to never create anything together if Robert doesn't want to be a part of it, etc. But I've never seen anybody suggest they can't or shouldn't. Am I totally missing something?--because this seems like a manufactured argument to me. Of course JP and JPJ should get out there and do whatever they like, and as fast as possible, along with Jason, and tour as many places as possible, preferably playing near me. Has anybody been saying they should stay home if Robert's otherwise engaged? :huh:

Unfortunately just putting out there that a tour might happen and they are jamming makes alot of people freak out besides Harvey Goldsmith, and this has people for some reason believing that Robert is being cut out against his will which is far from true.

The press grabs on and won't let go of the story and it keeps circling like vultures.

Here is a some articles and the comments of outrage. :rolleyes:

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/40389

http://www.newkerala.com/topstory-fullnews-38275.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/29/l...w_n_139030.html

For obvious reasons this is being done to see more papers and/or more hits on their websites=revenue.

:thumbsup:

There has been no confirmation - ANYWHERE - that they will call themselves Led Zeppelin.

Yes, I really, REALLY want to see Jimmy, Jonesy, and Jason back out on the stage - together, apart, upside-down, on a bus, playing Coverdale/Page (cringe!) songs if they have to - just get out there! Yes!

:faint1:

(...and jason, too, don't forget) :D

The media reports this as "Led Zeppelin" because, there are more google searches online for "Led Zeppelin" and more people will read/ buy their papers if they put "Led Zeppelin" in it/them.

They're not dumb.... just usually wrong on their reporting.

R B)

As another poster pointed out there have been numerous people suggesting they should stay home if Robert's otherwise engaged. I was commenting specifically on the Spin editorial, which included this:

"Plant's ambivalence is not what's shocking. What’s shocking is that Page and Jones can’t abide by this reasonable, if disappointing notion..."

As another poster pointed out there have been numerous people suggesting they should stay home if Robert's otherwise engaged.

Oh, OK. I hadn't seen this. I'd seen people suggesting they not call themselves Zeppelin, but not that they shouldn't play at all.

Continues thought . . . why on earth shouldn't they? I see no logic to that at all. Go for it, Jimmy! NOW!

Edited by Aquamarine

Here is renowned columnist Dustin Schoof's take on the matter

There are some things in life that are better left alone. Led Zeppelin is one of them.

Bassist John Paul Jones told BBC radio that he and guitarist Jimmy Page were seriously thinking about bringing the band out of retirement -- with or without singer Robert Plant.

Plant has shaken off rumors of a full-blown Zeppelin reunion. He's said he has no intention of touring with anyone for at least the next two years.

According to Billboard.com, the band has lined up a replacement: Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy.

Sigh.

Kennedy has the vocal prowess to pull off songs like "Dazed and Confused," "Black Dog" and "Whole Lotta Love," but Robert Plant he is not.

Led Zeppelin is not Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant and John Bonham. It's science.

Personally, dragging Bonham's son Jason out on the road with a Plant carbon copy and half the original band would be a slap in the face to Zeppelin fans everywhere.

I don't care how much money is being thrown at them, it's just not right.

by Dustin Schoof Monday November 03, 2008, 11:53 AM

:huh:

^ What I've read time and again on this site is that Robert CAN'T do what he wants but the others can.

Yea I wanna see them! Yeah I want this to happen! But not as Led Zeppelin. I can't believe they would call themselves that though, anyway.

I totally agree, with Jimmy and John Paul going to be the only original members left, they are turning themselves into a kind of tribute act, which im afraid NOBODY should want, i say wait for Robert to get on board, fair enough Jason can fill his old man's boots as proved at the O2, i know, i was there, but you just cant replace Percy im afraid and call it Led Zeppelin, it was bad enough with Jason and calling it Led Zeppelin, but at least the DNA was Led Zeppelin.

who cares what reknown columnist thinks. Jimmy Page can do whatever he wants to do. call it Led Zeppelin. The line up for a band can change , there is nothing wrong withthat. you people have to get over it. When pig pen died did the dead stop playing, no. Since it is a fact that Jimmy Page owns the rights, he has the right to take it on the road and put out a new zeppelin album. Roberts not into it ok, who cares, let him take a two year nap. Zeppelin however will not be sleeping.

who cares what reknown columnist thinks. Jimmy Page can do whatever he wants to do. call it Led Zeppelin. The line up for a band can change , there is nothing wrong withthat. you people have to get over it. When pig pen died did the dead stop playing, no. Since it is a fact that Jimmy Page owns the rights, he has the right to take it on the road and put out a new zeppelin album. Roberts not into it ok, who cares, let him take a two year nap. Zeppelin however will not be sleeping.

:unsure: