Do you like their later albums?

2-4 are some of my favourites by anyone, 1 was very good, HOTH was very good, but after that it just lost some of the magic. Would you listen to them much if you didn't know it was Zeppelin?

are you kidding? i love all the albums. they are all uniquely brilliant in my opinion.

As you say, the first 4 albums and "HOTH" are amazing albums....

But I really love "Physical Graffiti" and "Presence" too...(btw, have you heard Joe Bonamassa's version of "Tea For One", from his album "You & Me"....an excellent version, IMO)

....but I hardly ever listen to "ITTOD"... <_<

2-4 are some of my favourites by anyone, 1 was very good, HOTH was very good, but after that it just lost some of the magic.

I think Physical Graffiti was the finest album they ever did, although admittedly some of the songs on that were of earlier vintage.

I would say it was after Physical Graffiti that Zeppelin lost some of their magic.

HOTH - ITTOD >> I - IV

Edit:

The only "magic" that was lost after HOTH was that Plant couldn't hit the higher notes. This forced Zepp to be more creative, which paved the way for Physical Graffiti. I would say that the ITTOD was the only album where the band wasn't firing on all cylinders, but Jonesey and Plant picked up the slack and still produced a great album.

I'm with Cecil.

Well, I'm not WITH Cecil, but you know what I mean.

(Btw, my usual comment--I don't think any of Zeppelin's or Plant's magic was in the high notes, which aren't a virtue in themselves, to me. I don't miss 'em in the slightest. :D )

Of course they're all part of the complete package.

It amuses me when the youngin's try and second guess the bands catalogue and come up with these weird and wonderful "what if" scenarios as discussed in many threads on this board.

When you have the benefit of hindsight it's easy to pontificate about what could or should have been.

The fact is that back in the day it was all fresh and usually ground breaking before all the pretenders and wannabes came out of the woodwork.

If your around long enough, every one of those albums will have it's time as your favorite.. At least that's what happened to me. I think perception is somewhat shaped by the vibe or mood of the current time. I got into the Zep a few weeks after they broke up. The keyboard driven 80's had everything to do with why the whole Zeppelin thing sounded so over the top, free and wild. By 1984 ITTOD sounded good to me. Now it's my least favorite. After a year of the O2 in all it's forms, the studio recordings and early interviews sound Micky Mouse high. That never bothered me before. Is it me that's slowing down, getting lower? Good luck making your mind up. I don't think you ever will. My favorite album is the bootlegs.

If your around long enough, every one of those albums will have it's time as your favorite.. At least that's what happened to me. I think perception is somewhat shaped by the vibe or mood of the current time. I got into the Zep a few weeks after they broke up. The keyboard driven 80's had everything to do with why the whole Zeppelin thing sounded so over the top, free and wild. By 1984 ITTOD sounded good to me. Now it's my least favorite. After a year of the O2 in all it's forms, the studio recordings and early interviews sound Micky Mouse high. That never bothered me before. Is it me that's slowing down, getting lower? Good luck making your mind up. I don't think you ever will. My favorite album is the bootlegs.

I definitely go through phases where a particular album will have more meaning to me. That's sort of the beauty of them - they're so layered that the possibilities for endless discovery are there to keep discovering.

I'm with Cecil.

Well, I'm not WITH Cecil, but you know what I mean.

(Btw, my usual comment--I don't think any of Zeppelin's or Plant's magic was in the high notes, which aren't a virtue in themselves, to me. I don't miss 'em in the slightest. :D )

Thanks Aqua, you could have told before I ordered the tuxedo. Heartbreaker :(

I'm sorry but it's beyond my comprehension why people can't see the greatness in PG and Presence.

I can't rate them higher than the 1st five releases but i certainly can't rate them lower either.

I'm sorry but it's beyond my comprehension why people can't see the greatness in PG and Presence.

I can't rate them higher than the 1st five releases but i certainly can't rate them lower either.

Those people are typically those who don't realise when the songs were actually written and recorded.

If any of you don't get "grown up" Led Zeppelin, I can't help you.

Not meaning you "Zepaholic", but yeah, never was there a "weak" Zeppelin album. Just weak listeners. They have my sympathies and a free set of headphones. :rolleyes:

Those people are typically those who don't realise when the songs were actually written and recorded.

If any of you don't get "grown up" Led Zeppelin, I can't help you.

Not meaning you "Zepaholic", but yeah, never was there a "weak" Zeppelin album. Just weak listeners. They have my sympathies and a free set of headphones. :rolleyes:

You can mean me all you want cause it's GREAT TO SEE YOU HERE AGAIN!

Welcome back, Ev.

2-4 are some of my favourites by anyone, 1 was very good, HOTH was very good, but after that it just lost some of the magic. Would you listen to them much if you didn't know it was Zeppelin?

How's it going "Bring Them On Back?" This is a question that has been asked over and over again although worded differently. I have always love LED ZEPPELIN! When you hear them, you can identify and distinguish every LED ZEPPELIN by their music style and Plant's rare and unique vocals. ZEPPELIN'S sound would change with time in the mid 1970's due to the many fatalities and unfortunate circumstances. Despite their changes, I still love the PHYSICAL GRAFFITI and PRESENCE albums, these albums would contain some musical masterpieces as well as show a more flexible and different side of the band However, I must admit, when I first heard IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR when it was released in 1979, I was blown away by the fact that this album was a total departure of anything that LED ZEPPELIN ever recorded throughout their whole career. With that in mind, I was still impressed with songs such as "In the Evening," "Fool In The Rain," "Carouselambra" and "All My Love." Although it did take a few listens for the album to grow on me, the IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR album was almost all of John Paul Jones' project since you hear different sound styles of synthesizers being used throughout the whole album. In my opinion, IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR indicated to me that the band was still really going through some deep inner musical changes and adjustments. However, the band would never get a chance to complete or finish their musical changes due to Bonham's untimely death in 1980. ROCK ON!

Hi Nick and Zepaholic! Been goin through times, but it's nice to be remembered! :D

Back on topic, there is no "weak" Zeppelin album when compared to what any other fuckers were doing at the time (or now). They wrote their own story, and if they "borrowed" it was for their own enjoyment, NOT record sales.

Rant over. GodDAMN Presence sounds awesome through a set of JBL towers! You poor earbud MP3 kids are missing it ENTIRELY! (no offense). Jimmy mixed Zeppelin's albums to work in a specific soundspace. The fact that that format is not what we typically use now is what it is. Put on ANY Zeppelin album through a Fisher tube receiver and some JBLs or Cerwin Vegas, ala old school, and you better bring a change of underware!

Presence was a pleasant surprise what with ALS, FYL and NFBM, 'nuff said.

ITTOD is enjoyable and one I play every now and again, if you like Zeppelin you've got it in your collection, right?

FWIW, Coda is delightful as it truly mirrored Zeppelin at their best and not so.

I recall reading an interview some time ago just after Bonzo left, it could've been during the Germany 1980 tour.

He said that Bonzo and himself had been discussing the next album that was to be more riff oriented.

Oh what might have been.

Archived