Osama bin Laden DEAD

SuperDave

Don't you mean "Ding-dong! The witch is dead!"? Or is "the bastard" a Kiwi variation of the phrase? :)

Now that there has been confirmation of a DNA match, it looks like Osama bin Laden is not only merely dead, he's really most sincerely dead!

"DING-DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!", indeed.

I'm not particularly religious so I have no problem celebrating bin Laden's death. I've worked with battered and abused women and children and there are some people in this world beyond redeeming. No amount of prayer or counseling is gonna change them.

As for the chance for repercussions, I understand the qualms a few of you have expressed, but there were repercussions having him alive, too. If given the choice between having him dead or alive, I'll take dead anyday.

And if there are any reprisals, so be it. We can deal with them. There was terrorism before bin Laden and there will be terrorism after bin Laden. I'm sure most people understand we still have to be vigilant and aware.

But every day Osama bin Laden remained free, it was like he and his supporters were laughing at us. The big, powerful, technologically superior United States couldn't find one little old man hiding in a cave. Well now they know that, even though it may take a little time, the United States gets their man. And, with bin Laden's death, and some of the other high-level al Queida deaths, maybe, just maybe it is them that are feeling a little unsure and afraid.

Oh sure, eventually someone will take Osama bin Laden's place as the figurehead and the "face" of terror. But I don't think there will be too many eager applicants rushing to fill his shoes, knowing that HE will be next in the U.S.'s crosshairs.

And if for no other reason, it was worth killing bin Laden just to give justice and closure to the families of the victims of Sept. 11...nay, to families of all the victims of bin Laden's terrorist plots around the world.

The world is a better place with bin Laden dead.

BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NAVY SEALS, and everyone else involved with the planning and execution of this VSO. As a fellow vet, I'm so proud and I SALUTE you!

I've never trusted Pakistan, so it's about time we kept them in the dark. If they had known about this mission, no doubt they would've alerted bin Laden. You don't hide as long as bin Laden did wthout OFFICIAL help.

But the U.S. got him. Today is a good day.

Pakistan deserves the most severe scrutiny now.It is inconceivable to me that knowledge of the whereabouts of this deceased barbarian was not known to those in authority there.I would also question why your government,the U.S.,and mine,the U.K.,feel the need to supply this regime with millions of dollars/pounds in aid when their attitude has appeared so ambivalent towards islamic terrorism.This aid should be stopped immediately.As I've already posted,well done U.S.A.Today is indeed a good day.

It's a very serious concern, realistically--and the gloating I read in many news reports about him being shot in the face make me wonder if the writers are any better morally than he was.

On the shooting in the face subject...from a personal point of view, I would like to thank the SF officer who did what had to be done. Bin loadin was given a chance to surrender, and instead used a woman as a human shield. But hey, his face is missing now, so it's all copasetic.

I awakened this morning to my daughter telling me the news. She's 14, and was just a baby on 9/11. She asked the quintessential question, "What does this mean?" I'm embarassed to tell you I struggled with the answer, but gave her the facts as I knew them, that he was the leader of Al-Queida, who masterminded the attacks of 9/11. We went off in our own directions for the day, but still that gnawing question remained. This article has brought me closer to the answer. Thank you for posting this, saj. I will print and post this in my kitchen, as a constant reminder of what it means. American pride. Damn right.

This column by Leonard Pitts Jr. was published in The Miami Herald on Sept. 12, 2001, and received an extraordinary response from readers worldwide. I thought it would be appropriate to post it here today.

We'll go forward
from this moment

By LEONARD PITTS JR.

It's my job to have something to say.

They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.

What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.

Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.

Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae - a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse.

We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though - peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people - you, perhaps - think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning, and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel.

Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.

But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.

I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure al- lowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold.

As Americans, we will weep; as Americans, we will mourn; and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of.

You don't know what you just started.

But you're about to learn.

.. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I hear you Kneb, but Hitler didn't quit because the allies sent him flowers.

Yeah, glad he decided not to close down Gitmo or we probably never would have gotten the intel to get OBL.

Well I dont know about that but the Prez does deserve credit here because it was his call. Not to take anything away from the servicemen who totally embodied baddassery with this mission.

post-14766-0-82186400-1304379149_thumb.j

The US government has photographic evidence of his dead body, not to mention photographs taken throughout the mansion that he was killed in that clearly show a giant pool of blood. There is also according to reports I've been reading, DNA proof that it's him. You don't need DNA from that person to prove that the body you have is him, sometimes DNA from familial relations can be enough to prove a relationship, which would then prove the identity. The man had 20 wives and over 50 children......there's DNA out there. The reason his body was disposed of as quickly as it was had to do with eliminating the possibility that his body and/or grave could become a pilgrimage site for like-minded individuals. This was absolutely 100% the right way to deal with his remains.

Take off the tinfoil hat, please.

So where is the " photographic evidence of his dead body"?

With something as serious and far reaching as this I think most sane people, after all the hysteria is over, would require some tangable hard evidence to back up the usual lies that all politicians are prone to tell.

Not saying it didnt happen but I want to see some proof, talk is cheap.

(I only use tin foil to wrap up the turkey, otherwise my head gets to dam hot. LOL)

With something as serious and far reaching as this I think most sane people, after all the hysteria is over, would require some tangable hard evidence to back up the usual lies that all politicians are prone to tell.

(I only use tin foil to wrap up the turkey, otherwise my head gets to dam hot. LOL)

The POTUS and some of US government actually watched the entire operation live. Yes, we actually have a video of the entire operation, not just pictures. Relax a bit, it's coming.

How about in the hands of the US military? Just out of curiosity, don't you think it would be political suicide for Obama to interrupt live TV to broadcast that someone is dead when they are in fact, not dead? I know some people think the man is stupid, but that's beyond our capability of defining stupid. BTW, here's a picture of the POTUS and other important individuals watching live video of this raid:

white-house-situation-room1_620x350.jpg

Here's the story that goes along with it --> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hGb8e8RitwaOR-V3kF-dQQyfPyOA?docId=e5dff7a904ec41fca5928f15842e9f98

This happened. You can pretend it didn't until you see graphic, uncensored pictures of his bullet-ridden corpse, but the rest of us will go on without you, if that's alright. He's dead. A member of our Navy SEALS put a bullet between his eyes. This terrorist is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If we hadn't shot him between the eyes, he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-TERRORIST!

Yeah...10 years is way to soon to fake this right? Seriously...

Fox News reported on his assumed death back in December 2001

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41576,00.html

Then CNN had a report in January 2002 that he was dead according to then Pakistani President Musharraf

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/south/01/18/gen.musharraf.binladen/

Or even opinion pieces that have actual facts in them like this

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/03/13/osama-bin-elvis

Of course none of these (and tons of other reports over the last decade) could be correct because President Obama just said it happened yesterday..............

Right?

Edited by dazedcat

How about in the hands of the US military? Just out of curiosity, don't you think it would be political suicide for Obama to interrupt live TV to broadcast that someone is dead when they are in fact, not dead? I know some people think the man is stupid, but that's beyond our capability of defining stupid. BTW, here's a picture of the POTUS and other important individuals watching live video of this raid:

white-house-situation-room1_620x350.jpg

Here's the story that goes along with it --> http://www.google.co...5928f15842e9f98

This happened. You can pretend it didn't until you see graphic, uncensored pictures of his bullet-ridden corpse, but the rest of us will go on without you, if that's alright. He's dead. A member of our Navy SEALS put a bullet between his eyes. This terrorist is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If we hadn't shot him between the eyes, he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-TERRORIST!

Very Witty my dear, very witty indeed, but until I see the bullet ridden corpse I'll remain a sceptic if thats alright with you?

Well I dont know about that ...

What, you don't believe the New York Times?

As Obama administration officials described it, the real breakthrough came when they finally figured out the name and location of Bin Laden’s most trusted courier, whom the Qaeda chief appeared to rely on to maintain contacts with the outside world.

Detainees at the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, had given the courier’s pseudonym to American interrogators and said that the man was a protégé of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the confessed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Thank God for broken promises.

.. "I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

MLK was entitled to his opinion.

It wasn't "returning hate for hate".

It was returning justice for crimes committed, and in that I rejoice.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty. ~ John F. Kennedy

Fox News reported on his assumed death back in December 2001

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41576,00.html

Then CNN had a report in January 2002 that he was dead according to then Pakistani President Musharraf

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/south/01/18/gen.musharraf.binladen/

Or even opinion pieces that have actual facts in them like this

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/03/13/osama-bin-elvis

Of course none of these (and tons of other reports over the last decade) could be correct because President Obama just said it happened yesterday..............

Right?

If you had a point i'd be able to answer you.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty. ~ John F. Kennedy

They don't make them like that anymore... JFK RFK MLK.

I wish Bin Laden could have been bought to trial... charged with 3000+ counts of pre-meditated murder, tried, found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging... just like that other terrorist that was pulled out of a hole in the ground.

but a shot in the head and a burial at sea is a close second.

and Anyone feeling sorry for this animal, go on youtube and watch the 2nd plane slamming into the World Trade Center....

Never Forget

On the shooting in the face subject...from a personal point of view, I would like to thank the SF officer who did what had to be done. Bin loadin was given a chance to surrender, and instead used a woman as a human shield. But hey, his face is missing now, so it's all copasetic.

Reportedly they did not have strict orders to kill, and if he had offered no resistance, had permission to take him alive.

ABC News reported on this action, but as a warning, some of the scenes are graphic and show blood at the location where the deceased was apprehended, so viewer discretion is advised.

abcnews.go.com

Edited by Silver Rider

This terrorist is no more. He has ceased to be. He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If we hadn't shot him between the eyes, he'd be pushing up the daisies! He's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-TERRORIST!

He's sleeping with the fishes. (couldn't use "dirt nap")

He is breathing-challenged.

He's resting his organs.

His living quotient is 0, with a remainder of 0.

He's no longer eligible for the census.

He's kicked the oxygen habit.

He's fallen and he can't get up.

So, Bin Laden is finally dead.

It's amazing what America can accomplish when PlayStation Network goes down!

lulz.

So if someone murders your family you gonna tell the police dont do anything about it bcz the vengence will just keep going in circles. You make absolutely no sense!!!

The SCUM got what he deserved!!! CASE CLOSED

Go belittle yourself!

It only took 3 administrations to find this guy and kill him. 1.28 trillion dollars, That's $1,280,000,000,000 to terminate this threat.

NOT.

That expenditure, along with the added lives lost in The War will mean little when the next surprise happens.

Beat your chests hard and maybe they won't be sore when the next occurence happens, at least till

there is vindication, then start beating again.

It WILL go around in circles. Now who's got vengence ? Who started this, who will end it.

Neither can be answered. It WILL go around in circles.

Mark that.

I dont understand. If they kill, they are terrorists, if some of USA kills, its a hero.

I dont understand how people still thinking that it wasnt a plan of Bush to take oil from Irak.

10 YEARS OF BRAIN WASH. Very stupids

I fully realize you are new to this Great and Awesome Led Zeppelin forum since this is your first post. Welcome.

What I also realize is that your post seems to be very misguided. "They" (the terrorists) want to kill any and all Americans: Military and/or innocent civilians, men, women, children. Even YOU if you live in the U.S. or some other country that promotes democracy or is considered to be an Ally of the United States of America. That is why "they" are called terrorists. "They" want to instill "terror" and "fear" and are willing to kill as many people as "they" can to further their goal.

When "some of USA kills, its a hero" (as you put it), it is because some very brave and very dedicated American(s) killed the most wanted man in the history of mankind. They/We (Americans) are heroes because the man the USA killed is no longer a threat and able to physically espouse his hatred anymore. Osama bin Laden is no longer a threat. Al-Queda has and will always be a threat.

Your sentence about this being a "plan of Bush to take oil from Irak" is simply ridiculous. If you (and others) really believe this, where is that oil now and why am I now paying $4 a gallon for gas. If this was a Bush plan back then in 2003, all Americans would have and still be paying no more than $1 for a gallon of gas.

I will end on this note: I think that Your brain has been washed for at least 10 years now. Not mine.

"Long the the United States of America. The Greatest Country in the World!!! Long Live Led Zeppelin. The Greatest Band in the World!!!"

While it is good that he got his come uppance and I have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

He proved how much he was a gutless coward by shielding himself with a woman whom it seems was braver than he was even if she didn't have a choice.

Having said that, IMO, there is way too much delight in it for my liking, almost as much fervour on here as you'd find with the terrorists. I thought we were better than that!?

I understand how people were and are still hurting from 9/11 but nothing, not even his or the death of Al-Quaeda or every other terrorist will bring the victims back.

I do hope the victim's families and friends can finally get closure on it.

It's all well and good going on about being proud and how "badarse" we are but pride often goes before a fall!

Do we seek justice or retribution?

While vengeance is a dish best served cold, revenge digs two graves.

May all the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq stay safe because they'll be the first to endure any retalliation and it will come.

Get ready for an attack somewhere soon and if you think it won't happen you are just kidding yourself!

Be ever vigilant and keep safe everyone.

BTW, the reason his number two wasn't with him.

Could it be that he was the caller that tipped off the authorities of Laden's whereabouts?