What Are You Doing Today?

Charles J. White

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Wondering how I lost 10 pounds given my usual food intake? Where do the carbs go...  😏

paul, same here. I've dropped 10-11 lbs the last few weeks as well.
Glad to return to my awesome svelte physique, *though an (ever so slight) caucasian male gut pooch is still present*.

In my situation, I feel I'm detoxifying from some loser cable news networks misinformation regarding the virus.
This tells me what my gut told me all along.
Sweating my ass off in my vegetable garden has benefits as well.

Edited by jabe

• 3 weeks later...

Well BobDobbs popped by last night and so I got out some vinyl and played him Robert Plant's most recent R.S.D. release of Knebworth 1990 and played it loud and we also listened to The Stereo Project's remastered soundboard of 5/21/77 and that sounded incredible! :thumbsup:

What am I doing today? Kicking it.

Edited by luvlz2

Doing my annual wash, rubbing compound (where needed), and wax on Mighty Moe (my truck)).  15 years old, 188,000 miles, and still going strong.  Haven't had a car payment in 11 years.  As Dad used to say, "If you're middle class or lower and you don't have a car payment, you're living high !"  Never more true than when you're retired.

'Wax on Wax off' is still a great workout....even when you're old.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 6:18 AM, Bong-Man said:

Doing my annual wash, rubbing compound (where needed), and wax on Mighty Moe (my truck)).  15 years old, 188,000 miles, and still going strong.  Haven't had a car payment in 11 years.  As Dad used to say, "If you're middle class or lower and you don't have a car payment, you're living high !"  Never more true than when you're retired.

'Wax on Wax off' is still a great workout....even when you're old.

My truck is now 23 years old, has only 75,000 miles, and I only made one car payment, because I always pay cash for my cars, and always buy brand new cars.... never used.

I do the clay bar thing every year after a good wash, then do hand carnauba wax. All of vehicles are always parked in the garage too. But I agree, a car's best value to you is reliable transportation. It is a myth that a new car only depreciates. Take care of it and it will MAKE you money after taxes, fees, and insurance keeps going down and down. And then eventually it will begin to go up in value the longer you keep it.  More Americans are in hopeless debt due to car loans and leases. I wouldn't own a new vehicle. Don't need bluetooth, navigation, back up or side cameras, and all of that crap. And that infernal push button no key start is annoying as hell. What if you want to lean in and crank the motor while the vehicle is parked because when you have the hood up and are working on it? Really?? Now you have to get inside, apply the brake, and the seat needs to "sense" your presence, or you can't just crank the engine? How is this progress?

8 minutes ago, kipper said:

My truck is now 23 years old, has only 75,000 miles, and I only made one car payment, because I always pay cash for my cars, and always buy brand new cars.... never used.

I do the clay bar thing every year after a good wash, then do hand carnauba wax. All of vehicles are always parked in the garage too. But I agree, a car's best value to you is reliable transportation. It is a myth that a new car only depreciates. Take care of it and it will MAKE you money after taxes, fees, and insurance keeps going down and down. And then eventually it will begin to go up in value the longer you keep it.  More Americans are in hopeless debt due to car loans and leases. I wouldn't own a new vehicle. Don't need bluetooth, navigation, back up or side cameras, and all of that crap. And that infernal push button no key start is annoying as hell. What if you want to lean in and crank the motor while the vehicle is parked because when you have the hood up and are working on it? Really?? Now you have to get inside, apply the brake, and the seat needs to "sense" your presence, or you can't just crank the engine? How is this progress?

Well, not progress for us, but serious (financial) progress for car manufacturers (supplying the parts), dealerships (supplying the labor to fix), and auto mechanics in general once the warranty expires.

Look under the hood of a newer (post 2008'ish) car and tell me how an average persona can maintain the damn thing. Literally zero clearance to work on anything as they are engineered to where you need super-expensive tools & diagnostic equipment just to change a spark plug (if they even have them).

Fugetaboutit, give me a 1994-2001 Jeep Cherokee and I am set. Those babies are rock solid with the excellent 4.0L inline 6 which are pretty much indestructible married to the Toyota 5 speed tranny and there ya go. Which is why they changed everything in 2002 as those Jeep Cherokees were great cars. Of course my dream vehicle is a 1977-81 Jeep CJ-7, or a 1972-74 Ford Bronco or International Scout. Oh yeah, now THOSE are good vehicles and all but the Jeep Cherokee are worth a mint now. 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, BobDobbs said:

Well, not progress for us, but serious (financial) progress for car manufacturers (supplying the parts), dealerships (supplying the labor to fix), and auto mechanics in general once the warranty expires.

Look under the hood of a newer (post 2008'ish) car and tell me how an average persona can maintain the damn thing. Literally zero clearance to work on anything as they are engineered to where you need super-expensive tools & diagnostic equipment just to change a spark plug (if they even have them).

Fugetaboutit, give me a 1994-2001 Jeep Cherokee and I am set. Those babies are rock solid with the excellent 4.0L inline 6 which are pretty much indestructible married to the Toyota 5 speed tranny and there ya go. Which is why they changed everything in 2002 as those Jeep Cherokees were great cars. Of course my dream vehicle is a 1977-81 Jeep CJ-7, or a 1972-74 Ford Bronco or International Scout. Oh yeah, now THOSE are good vehicles and all but the Jeep Cherokee are worth a mint now. 

Yep, even my truck when the time comes to do any valve work, the engine would need to be pulled out to get to the valve covers.

International Scout would be choice too.  That or a Jeep Wagoneer, but have you seen the prices on those old one now?

11 hours ago, kipper said:

Yep, even my truck when the time comes to do any valve work, the engine would need to be pulled out to get to the valve covers.

International Scout would be choice too.  That or a Jeep Wagoneer, but have you seen the prices on those old one now?

Hell yes, around 40k for a used 70's Bronco or Scout. Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am a birder.  I feed them daily.  Thistle feeders, house with black oil, hummingbird feeder, bird bath, all of it.  Of course I have lots of healthy squirrels also.  I give them black oil and the blue jays peanuts.  I watch a ton of YouTube.  Lots of good stuff to find on there.  

Deleting e-mails. I came across this one in my spam folder…haha, do these scams still work? 

Hello

I know this Letter will come to you as surprise, though I do not intend to embarrass you. Please do accept my apologies I do not wish to invade into your privacy, I had written an earlier mail to you but without response, In my first mail I mentioned to you about my late client, a foreigner, who died since 2017, Since his death I have received several letters from the Bank where he made a deposit of 7,500,000.00 USD (Seven Million Five Hundred thousand US Dollars) in the event of his death.

The bank has asked me to provide his next of kin or any of his relatives who can make claim to his funds or it will be confiscated by the bank, as I could not locate any of his relative hence i contacted you for this claim. Upon your response I will give you the details and procedures of the transaction.

Waiting for your reply.

Best Regards,
Mr. Henry Michael. Esq,
Henry Mike & Associates Chambers

Today is my 15th anniversary!!  Yes.   2nd marriage!!!  Not an easy thing to do.  

A buddy of mine who fought in the Iraq war, is home now.  I grew up with him.  After two divorces, both after 6 year marriages, he went out, with total disgust for women in general, and bought a guitar a month for 30 months!!!  Because he was " not having a woman tell  him he couldn't buy something ever again".   LOL>  Nice motive.  Am I jealous.  Hell yes.  But he was nice enough to let me borrow a Gibson Les Paul.  Oh yeah.  Been getting back into shape.  Regret putting it down.  Sure I have a very nice Taylor, mint condition, but playing electric is a different ball game. You guitar players out there know what i mean.   To get back in the swing I played a LZ riff medley.  Songs like Rock n Roll, Misty Mountain Hop, When the Levee Breaks, Kashmir, Custard Pie and so on.  Of course on some of these you must change the tuning and leave standard.  So once I get the anniversary card and such, I may play some more. Working on lead around pentatonic and major scales.  My fear is, not my guitar so eventually, poof.  I am going to go see what a Mandolin will cost me at the House of Guitars.  The best place in our area.  Guitar Center sucks.  Rip off.  Not that the House is giving anything away.  But at least its a quality place.