New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I raised that anniversary here before...It's possible...check this timeline:

March announcement--> 2 1/2 months later, release of 1st batch.

July announcement (4 months after 1st announcement)--> 3 months later, release of 2nd batch

November(??) (4 months after 2nd announcement)-->3 months later (February), release of 3rd batch.

We'll see if that logic holds.

24 feb 2015 for PG? 40th birthday n all that? Could be a one album release as its a double album

That would be so perfect!!!!

PG in February...

Presance in March or February with PG

INTOTD in August...

We will see.... :)

Get ready to be dissapointed then because Jimmy has already stated that there'll be no more live stuff with these remasters.

Personally I think that the IV alternate disc looks far more exciting than the HOTH one, slightly dissapointed there are no 'new' songs (ala La La & Keys to the Highway) on this round of reissues, both delux CDs pre-ordered this morning however.

As it's the only album with an anniversary coming up ( and bands peak some would say ) it would make sense! I assume June would see the release of presence, in through and coda

Presance was released in early March of '76. I can easily see that released together with PG if they are doing a couple together.

The media is starting to run with this announcement of the new alternate version of stairway to heaven. They are making it sound like this is a completely different take like the alternate of since I've been loving. Yet the official announcement seems to just mention an alternate sunset sound mix. So what's going on here are we getting the same song just a different mix or will we actually be hearing a different performance? Anybody have a clue?

Steve, out of the 25 tracks that have been released so far, at least 15 are unique and have been unbootlegged -- the others (including the Olympia concert) are all at least sonic upgrades.

...And at least 11 (out of 15) of the "companion" tracks for the next two releases are unbootlegged.

How many of these 26 non-bootlegged tracks are merely alt mixes? The Olympia concert is a sonic improvement but it's been edited.

PG being released on the anniversary seems very plausible to me seeing as the first batch were released on a Tuesday and the seconds batch is also being released on a Tuesday and the anniversary falls on a Tuesday. The best way to do justice to the PG artwork would be to have a front cover with the holes in the windows. Then each CD (I assume there will be three or four) can come in it's own little inner bag, replicating the original LP release, which can be slided in and out again. I was happily surprised to see the wheel being restored for LZIII.

As it's the only album with an anniversary coming up ( and bands peak some would say ) it would make sense! I assume June would see the release of presence, in through and coda

I'm fully expecting PG and Presence to be released together (February/March), and then ITTOD and Coda around June.

I no longer care. The level of ambition regarding the content of this remaster series is just not there to merit any of my continued enthusiasm. For many this whole proposition has actually become nothing more than approx $125.00 x 9 = $1,125 for recordings many of us already own.

I can't stand when people bitch and moan for Zep to open the vault and then have the audacity to complain when they do. But its worse than that. I think you complain because you think its cool to do so. I have no doubt that if "La La" or "Keys to the Highway" found their way into the Steve A. Jones Archives a year ago that you would be touting them as the greatest find since the Dead Sea Scrolls. Now, because they are out, and everybody else has them, you "no longer care".

Why be such a contrarian? If I PM'd you a year ago and said I had an unreleased Zep track - that nobody even knew existed - how much would you pay for it? Seems to me that would be worth the price of the Super Deluxe set by itself. If not much, much more.

Now make it two never before heard of tracks, then ADD absolutely ripping, never before heard, versions of SIBLY and WLL in studio quality plus some alternate mixes, plus a live show at much better quality than currently circulating. The fact that you can download all of this AND get top quality remasters of each the original albums at the same time ALL for 15 bucks a piece (in Canada anyway) is truly unbelievable. If you want a cool photo-book AND vinyl, AND HD Downloads AND CD's AND awesome packaging AND a numbered print, it will cost you a bit more. Worth every penny to me, but again, if you don't think so it is available at all price points to suit your needs.

I think these sets are spectacular. I think the way they are being released is spectacular. I think the excitement around a band that broke up many decades ago is spectacular. And the best thing for you is, if you don't like them, or "no longer care" you don't have to buy them!!

How many of these 26 non-bootlegged tracks are merely alt mixes? The Olympia concert is a sonic improvement but it's been edited.

What does "merely alt mixes" mean? I would say several are unique: "Whole Lotta Love" features an entirely new and previously unheard vocal take; "La La" is entirely new; "Heartbreaker" has the original guitar solo found on the multi-tracks (new to people who haven't had those illegal files); "Since" is an entirely new take (save for the end, which was spliced onto the released take); "Keys to the Highway/Trouble in Mind" is entirely new; "That's the Way" features some new instrumentation and effects; "Jennings Farm Blues" is new to those who don't trade in illegal materials...etc.

I don't understand the whining and vitriol. (Not directed solely at Steve, but across the web.)

I can't stand when people bitch and moan for Zep to open the vault and then have the audacity to complain when they do. But its worse than that. I think you complain because you think its cool to do so. I have no doubt that if "La La" or "Keys to the Highway" found their way into the Steve A. Jones Archives a year ago that you would be touting them as the greatest find since the Dead Sea Scrolls. Now, because they are out, and everybody else has them, you "no longer care".

Why be such a contrarian? If I PM'd you a year ago and said I had an unreleased Zep track - that nobody even knew existed - how much would you pay for it? Seems to me that would be worth the price of the Super Deluxe set by itself. If not much, much more.

Now make it two never before heard of tracks, then ADD absolutely ripping, never before heard, versions of SIBLY and WLL in studio quality plus some alternate mixes, plus a live show at much better quality than currently circulating. The fact that you can download all of this AND get top quality remasters of each the original albums at the same time ALL for 15 bucks a piece (in Canada anyway) is truly unbelievable. If you want a cool photo-book AND vinyl, AND HD Downloads AND CD's AND awesome packaging AND a numbered print, it will cost you a bit more. Worth every penny to me, but again, if you don't think so it is available at all price points to suit your needs.

I think these sets are spectacular. I think the way they are being released is spectacular. I think the excitement around a band that broke up many decades ago is spectacular. And the best thing for you is, if you don't like them, or "no longer care" you don't have to buy them!!

Hear hear! Dandu for Prime Minister! :P

I can understand a little....disappointment/frustration/financial pain with these sets from the standpoint of cost. If I were advising Jimmy, I would have recommended:

• Original remastered album and companion disc for US$15 (and not called it "deluxe")
    • Perhaps a download-only offering of the original remastered album sans companion disc for $10ish
  • Deluxe box set of remastered album, companion disc, HD download, numbered print of album artwork, and book (i.e., SDBS without vinyl), about US$79
  • Super deluxe the way it is, at the price it is.

As one who has no way of enjoying vinyl, the Super Deluxe sets are not entirely ideal for me. I got Led Zeppelin as a super deluxe, II and III as deluxe CD. I have since sold the vinyl of Led Zeppelin (to help fund purchases of the other sets), but I do feel somewhat wicked for doing so.

I will certainly get the next four SDBS, and plan to come back to SDBS of II and III at some point, and I planned to sell the respective vinyl, but what's left? In my mind, if vinyl is sold, the tangible goods are a box and a book.

But, the only (ethical) way to get the book, the HD tracks, and the box (which looks great on display) is the SDBS. At it's current price, it's bound to leave more than a few people somewhat disappointed.

The media is starting to run with this announcement of the new alternate version of stairway to heaven. They are making it sound like this is a completely different take like the alternate of since I've been loving. Yet the official announcement seems to just mention an alternate sunset sound mix. So what's going on here are we getting the same song just a different mix or will we actually be hearing a different performance? Anybody have a clue?

I've got the same question as you. I've heard that it's just an alternate mix but I've also heard that it's the mythical, "holy grail of Stairway," completely different version that the world of Zeppelin has been waiting for-so I'm confused here too. :wall:

I can understand a little....disappointment/frustration/financial pain with these sets from the standpoint of cost. If I were advising Jimmy, I would have recommended:

• Original remastered album and companion disc for US$15 (and not called it "deluxe")
    • Perhaps a download-only offering of the original remastered album sans companion disc for $10ish
  • Deluxe box set of remastered album, companion disc, HD download, numbered print of album artwork, and book (i.e., SDBS without vinyl), about US$79
  • Super deluxe the way it is, at the price it is.

As one who has no way of enjoying vinyl, the Super Deluxe sets are not entirely ideal for me. I got Led Zeppelin as a super deluxe, II and III as deluxe CD. I have since sold the vinyl of Led Zeppelin (to help fund purchases of the other sets), but I do feel somewhat wicked for doing so.

I will certainly get the next four SDBS, and plan to come back to SDBS of II and III at some point, and I planned to sell the respective vinyl, but what's left? In my mind, if vinyl is sold, the tangible goods are a box and a book.

But, the only (ethical) way to get the book, the HD tracks, and the box (which looks great on display) is the SDBS. At it's current price, it's bound to leave more than a few people somewhat disappointed.

I wrote that in a bit of a hurry. I don't mean to imply the SDBSs aren't wonderful, and I certainly don't think they're a money grab. They are fabulous documents representing Zeppelin.

I only wish that between the deluxe and super deluxe, there was some "middle ground".

I wrote that in a bit of a hurry. I don't mean to imply the SDBSs aren't wonderful, and I certainly don't think they're a money grab. They are fabulous documents representing Zeppelin.

I only wish that between the deluxe and super deluxe, there was some "middle ground".

I agree wholeheartedly.

I couldn't have stated this any better. Kudos to you!

I can understand a little....disappointment/frustration/financial pain with these sets from the standpoint of cost....

I gotta say that I've given it some thought and even though there's a good chunk of change involved with the Super Deluxe Box Sets, I went and pre-ordered them.

First, I figured if I can't save up that much money between now and October 28, that would be pretty sad of me. Heck, I could go pick up cans alongside the road and recycle them to get it if I was that desperate.

But second, I got the Deluxe CDs last round and while I love them, I realized right away that I wanted more. Even though I don't have a record player any more, I wanted the vinyl, I wanted the "books", I wanted the excitement of the packaging. So - this time around I'm indulging myself. One of these days I'll pick up the first three Super Duper sets, too. Maybe after I've paid for the rest.

At least the point you are making has some merit and is truly debatable. Maybe middle ground should have been an option.

My issue was really with the complaint above about the CONTENT being worthless. That is absolutely nuts. How can any fan in their right mind complain that they "no longer care" about releases which have included BRAND NEW Zeppelin in 2014?? Moreover, how can anybody write off the next batch of albums without even hearing them? PG through Coda have been written off without even seeing a track list! Its completely laughable!
You start to wonder if these people are fans, or just complete weirdos who are so wrapped up in ridiculous minutiae that they can't spot a true gift when it hits them in the face!

I can understand this -- somewhat. I'm not exactly enthused at the price of the boxes, but, that being said, it doesn't actually seem very far off from how much it would cost for each of the items (at least two CDs, at least two LPs, an 80-page book [and assorted memorabilia with Led Zeppelin], an art print of the album cover artwork, and a code to the HD downloads) included individually within the sets.

You start to wonder if these people are fans, or just complete weirdos who are so wrapped up in ridiculous minutiae that they can't spot a true gift when it hits them in the face!

I've been arguing with these sorts of people for too long (I can't imagine how you'd react at the Hotel); it's better to ignore them and get back to the most important thing: The music!

Archived