Led Zeppelin = Best Band Ever

guitarmy

Best Band Ever  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Is Led Zeppelin the greatest band of all time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Time will tell
    • It's not possible to say because there are too many bands to compare. (ie bands CAN be compared, but the sheer number of bands prevents us from doing so)
    • It's not possible to say because you can't compare bands based on "greatness" in an objective manner.
    • It's not possible to say because different bands came up in different eras with different contexts and followings.
    • It's not possible because there are so many bands that were better that never "made it".
    • Impossible to tell because of some other reason I'll list below.

If you believe Led Zeppelin is the best rock band ever, then it's true -- but only for you. You could believe the same thing about the Jonas Brothers. The cold hard truth is, if you ask a randomly selected group who they think is the best all-time rock band, the Beatles will win hands down. Here is a link to exactly such a poll pitting Zep and the Beatles head-to-head. As you can see (Match 98), it's not even close.

http://beneaththebridge.blogspot.com

(btw, this poll is open to the public, so if you hear the piper calling you to enlighten the masses, go for it..)

:) IMO, a poll that allows multiple voting is not very relevant.

But, anyway, no poll can reflect the real distribution of fans simply because the statistical sample can't be representative enough.

If you believe Led Zeppelin is the best rock band ever, then it's true -- but only for you.

Funny that. I heard and read PLENTY of references in newspapers and on t.v calling Led Zeppelin the greatest rock band of all time when they had their reunion in '07.

You could believe the same thing about the Jonas Brothers.

Are you seriously equating Led Zeppelin with the Jonas Brothers? Do want to quantify that statement with any kind of logic or are you just being mischievous?

The cold hard truth is, if you ask a randomly selected group who they think is the best all-time rock band, the Beatles will win hands down.

Yet Led Zeppelin won the most votes in the BBC's I'm In A Rock n' Roll Band recently.The Beatles generally aren't considered a 'rock band'. They are generally considered a pop band and they didn't even tour for the second half of their existance. That's hardly being a 'rock band'.

Here is a link to exactly such a poll pitting Zep and the Beatles head-to-head. As you can see (Match 98), it's not even close.

60 % vs 40% roughly? That's only a difference of 20% or 1 in 5. For every 10 people 6 chose the Beatles and 4 chose Led Zep? That's hardly a yawning gap.

That actually reflects a 50% difference in the Beatles favor. ;)

No it doesn't.

6 out of 10 vs 4 out of 10 is 20% more out of those polled going for the Beatles rather than Led Zep.

Or 1 in 5, or 2 in 10. Etc etc.

;)

No it doesn't.

6 out of 10 vs 4 out of 10 is 20% more out of those polled going for the Beatles rather than Led Zep.

Or 1 in 5, or 2 in 10. Etc etc.

wink.gif

There are at least 2 ways of looking at those numbers. 6 out of 10 IS 60%, compared to 4 out of 10 being 40%. So in that, it would show a 20% difference.

However 6 IS 50% more than 4. biggrin.gif So technically Ben is right also.

wink.gif

So where's the other 30% in that analysis?

I guess it went to Brian Epstein and Peter Grant!! laugh.gif

In fact it's only 10% difference, in the sense that if a further 1 in 10 had voted LZ instead of Beatles, the scores would be tied.

Which in turn rounds down to zero, and after adjusting for standard voting irregularities, LZ actually come out on top.

In fact it's only 10% difference, in the sense that if a further 1 in 10 had voted LZ instead of Beatles, the scores would be tied.

Which in turn rounds down to zero, and after adjusting for standard voting irregularities, LZ actually come out on top.

As I'd said, there's at least 2 ways to look at it. But to skew even a 6 to 4 voting response in favor of The Beatles to a Led Zeppelin lead is stretching it.

Sorry but in the long run, The Beatles will most probably ALWAYS maintain a lead over any other rivals as far as band popularity.

If you believe Led Zeppelin is the best rock band ever, then it's true -- but only for you. You could believe the same thing about the Jonas Brothers. The cold hard truth is, if you ask a randomly selected group who they think is the best all-time rock band, the Beatles will win hands down. Here is a link to exactly such a poll pitting Zep and the Beatles head-to-head. As you can see (Match 98), it's not even close.

(btw, this poll is open to the public, so if you hear the piper calling you to enlighten the masses, go for it..)

If the live performances are taken into account , then The Beatles aren't the best anymore,I honestly think that Queen is the best band ever, they were the true pop-rock band, they could do everything from Hard rock to glam rock.Zep is my second favorite.

I don't. Well I guess if you take a sloppy Zep performance vs a great Who performance you would have a point but both bands at their peak? Zeppelin above the Who. Far more diverse. Far more spontaneous and far liable to go somewhere weird and funky.

The Who were more rigid.

Wow, seriously? Zeppelin was better live than The Who when both were in their peak prime? Did you see them back then?

I did, and it wasn't even close.

to be honest Led Zeppelin has ruined music for me. (and im happy about it)

i mean there is just nothing that sounds as awesome as the Zep does. i like other bands but Led Zeppelin is just undescribeable (spelling?)

I completely agree. I have lots of music on my MP3 player, but all I want to listen to is Zeppelin. Everything else sounds inferior, including, I'm afraid, lots of Beatles and Stones stuff. :unsure: I'm sorry but that's the way I feel. I can listen to When Levee Breaks or Kashmir and hear something new everytime. With most others bands you listen to a song a few times and that's it you've got it. With Zeppelin it is so much more intricate and complex, proabably more like the way classical music is constructed which I also really like.

My partner, who is not a Zeppelin fan and was brought up listening to Abba and as a result has a tin ear, heard the Rain Song for the first time the other day. He said to me who is this by? I said it's Zeppelin. I could tell by his face that he was was totally blown away by it and he even admitted that he 'liked' it. Of course, he'll carry on listening to Amy Winehouse or whatever other crap he lsitens to! :angry:

I think that there isn't, wasn't, and never will be a "Greatest Band" I mean if anyone where to listen to Led Zeppelin none stop for say 14 hours you would get sick of it and would want to listen to something else, so if you where to say that Zeppelin is the greatest band befor it you're opininon would change.

I could listen to Zep non-stop for 14 hours and I'd be in heaven! It would be a Zep version of Wagner's Ring Cycle.:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the thing with led Zeppelin is any other band just didnt have the talent to creates songs such as Stairway to Heaven and Since I've Been Loving You AND THEN have songs such as Rock and Roll, Black Dog and the Immigrant Song.

They had heavy songs but also blues songs, short songs and long, fast and slow and used many different instruments. Variety is after all the spice of life!

I think the thing with led Zeppelin is any other band just didnt have the talent to creates songs such as Stairway to Heaven and Since I've Been Loving You AND THEN have songs such as Rock and Roll, Black Dog and the Immigrant Song.

They had heavy songs but also blues songs, short songs and long, fast and slow and used many different instruments. Variety is after all the spice of life!

Couldn't have put it any better Jimmy Page = King

Also, Welcome to the forum!

• 1 month later...

LED ZEPPELIN=BEST BAND EVER!!!!

of course there in competition. you have pink floyd, the rolling stones and black sabbath....(not the beatles...i really dont like the beatles.)

but I could listen to led zeppelin all the time. I dont need anything else.... :) hmmm...maybe black sabbaths technical ecstasy album in addition to led zeppelin though...

I think it's impossible to say because of the context of different eras. For their time, The Beatles were the best band ever, and they laid much of the ground work for what rock and roll came to be. Led Zeppelin futhered rock and roll with their hard rocking music, and helped lay the ground work for metal music (although I don't consider Zeppelin metal). It's hard to measure greatness because there are so many variable that go into it. All great bands have had some sort of influence on the bands that followed in their footsteps. I think The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are the two best bands ever, but I can't say one is greater than the other. I like Led Zeppelin better, but that's besides the point. The Beatles helped define rock and roll while Led Zeppelin advanced it. Led Zeppelin were better technically, but were a little less original (they had a lot of covers and reworkings of songs). Led Zeppelin were better live, but The Beatles put out more studio albums and had a larger body of work. I could go on for hours. If The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were around for the same period, I'd say Led Zeppelin was better. But the fact that The Beatles came first and had such a huge impact prevents me from doing so.

For me, when I hear someone says that Led Zeppelin is the best band ever means that it's his/hers favourite band, and that he/she can listen to any of Led Zep's songs anytime. This statement also applies on me - although I have never said out loud that they are the best band ever, I think so. I love them, their guitar riffs, guitar solos, lyrics - their music in general. There is no song that I hate or can't stand - they are all good in their own ways. If I skip some songs that are on my playlist, it usually means that I'm not in the mood for that song. Very few bands have that amount of songs that I like as Led Zep's have, maybe Pink Floyd, Sonata Arctica, one croatian band...

If I could play my guitar like Jimmy Page, I would be the happiest girl in the world. :P

And since I have never actually listened to the Beatles - I know a few songs - I can't compare them. :)

to be honest Led Zeppelin has ruined music for me. (and im happy about it)

i mean there is just nothing that sounds as awesome as the Zep does. i like other bands but Led Zeppelin is just undescribeable (spelling?)

I agree with you there...but I ain't too sure whether Led Zep is indeed the greatest band out there...it really depends on how Zep's music makes you feel and whether in your book, Zep is incomparable to other bands! In view of this, I guess I will go with "one of the greatest" but greatest...well I'm not too sure actually...:Thinking:

• 10 months later...

Yes indeed, I have a range from Beethoven to the Beatles to NWA & i mold my own band to be AC/DC like as far as straight balls out rockin & no stairway(which I love)type songs so I don't feel like some Zeppelin only fanatic sayin they're the best rock n' MF'n roll band of all time, the range is as wide as they felt like makin it example of all that range in one song is ramble on & goin from black dog to stairway in one easy step just the perfect rock n roll, not heavy metal or whatever just rock so I salute you Led Zeppelin & always trust you to bring the right sounds to my ears no matter my mood or state o' mind

Rock ok

Soundcloud.com/mofostone

• 2 months later...

"It's not possible to say because different bands came up in different eras with different contexts and followings" To me they are the greatest band, but to generalize this to all rock music not possible. I can say that I think the 70's was the greatest decade in rock music. The calibur of bands of this era is staggering.

• 3 months later...

Archived