Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

Today marks the 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin's Carnegie Hall concert in New York City.  For a link to this spectacular and memorable live music event, see the LZ Forum link below:

Happy 50th!!!  :elvis2: October 17, 1969 - October 17, 2019  :elvis2: Happy 50th!!!

Rock on Led Zeppelin fans all over the world!!  What an awesome milestone.  Our very best wishes and congratulations on this anniversary to Jimmy, Robert and Jonesey!!!  And a posthumous 50th Anniversary salute to our drummer god, John "Bonzo"  Bonham,  whose memory lives forever in our hearts and minds!!  You, and your three heavy metal compatriots, gave your all that night at Carnegie Hall in 1969 and dazzled us with the intensity and brilliance of your playing.

Edited by drowan

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Interesting that they glazed right over the Carnegie Hall shows. And the shows in Chicago and Detroit. Wonder why, maybe there just wasn't enough room.

Edited by June72
Other shows missed

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, Strider said:

Less than a week to go in 2019. 

Which means if you bet that there would be some sort of release for the 50th anniversary...a live dvd or album...you lose.

Remastered remasters, shoes, hot wheels, and an overpriced photo book and you're still not happy? Oh, and let's not forget that alt version of Rock And Roll on vinyl. Ungrateful I tell ya! 🤣

I just want to give my humble opinion, I hope I don't offend anyone.

I feel I have no right to ask Jimmy Page for any more things. I think what he's done with the Super Deluxe boxes is fantastic.

So far, I only have 'I' through 'Presence' (all individually numbered), and I hope to complete the collection. For me (and I suppose many others) they are relics, the holy grails. Here in the third world, our salaries are much lower, and products such as Super Deluxe boxes and everything imported, we pay three or four times the value it actually costs. Maybe, because of this, I appreciate all these things more.

I know that you also have the right to claim more records (I would love that too). But I know that some have seen Led Zeppelin live, or Page/Plant. I feel pretty lucky to see Robert Plant three times (twice in 2012 and once in 2015, also playing 'The Lemon Song' with Jack White).

One of the saddest days of my life was in 2007, when I was 17 years old and I knew I wouldn't be going to the O2 in London. I remember that I had to get an email in order to have a chance to buy a ticket... I never got it, and my mother had told me that if I got the email, she would ask for a bank loan to buy the ticket and travel to London.

Most of you are very lucky!

Long Live Led Zeppelin! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rodrigo

2 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

I feel I have no right to ask Jimmy Page for any more things. I think what he's done with the Super Deluxe boxes is fantastic.

So far, I only have 'I' through 'Presence' (all individually numbered), and I hope to complete the collection. For me (and I suppose many others) they are relics, the holy grails. Here in the third world, our salaries are much lower, and products such as Super Deluxe boxes and everything imported, we pay three or four times the value it actually costs. Maybe, because of this, I appreciate all these things more.

I know that you also have the right to claim more records (I would love that too). But I know that some have seen Led Zeppelin live, or Page/Plant. I feel pretty lucky to see Robert Plant three times (twice in 2012 and once in 2015, also playing 'The Lemon Song' with Jack White).

One of the saddest days of my life was in 2007, when I was 17 years old and I knew I wouldn't be going to the O2 in London. I remember that I had to get an email in order to have a chance to buy a ticket... I never got it, and my mother had told me that if I got the email, she would ask for a bank loan to buy the ticket and travel to London.

Good post!

12 hours ago, drpete said:

Wasn't there something about a live streaming service or did I just dream that?

I think we all dreamed that at the same time while here on the forum. Lol 😆 

Remember, Led Zeppelin time doesn’t correlate with real time, so it may be years from now or tomorrow.

Who knows.

R😎

E7B422A7-6DCF-4ED9-983E-BFF27505C411.jpeg

On 12/27/2019 at 4:13 PM, Rodrigo said:

I feel your pain Rodrigo!

I went through the same thing WAY back in 1979.  I read in a newspaper that led Zeppelin were performing at Knebworth that year.  Even though I had just gotten out of high school, my parents weren't keen on me going over seas alone.  After much begging, I got their approval and called a travel agent in Omaha.  Remember, there was no internet back then.  I asked the travel agent about a flight to Knebworth, England.  Of course the tour operator couldn't find that "city" anywhere.  She then asked me if I had my passport.  My response was "A whatport?"  and after a little more discussion, I told her I'd start working on getting that first.  Not long after that announcement, I read that Zeppelin was preparing for a 1980 US tour!  PERFECT....I could easily get to a city near Nebraska and not go through the hassle of an overseas trip.

We all know how that worked out.

When they announced the show in 2007, I was determined to be at that show...no matter the cost....even if only got to sit outside the O2 and listen to it with my ear against the wall.  After a LOT of work, I managed to get a ticket (thanks to a new Irish friend) and managed to finally fulfill a life time dream I NEVER thought would come true! 

12 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I feel your pain Rodrigo!

I went through the same thing WAY back in 1979.  I read in a newspaper that led Zeppelin were performing at Knebworth that year.  Even though I had just gotten out of high school, my parents weren't keen on me going over seas alone.  After much begging, I got their approval and called a travel agent in Omaha.  Remember, there was no internet back then.  I asked the travel agent about a flight to Knebworth, England.  Of course the tour operator couldn't find that "city" anywhere.  She then asked me if I had my passport.  My response was "A whatport?"  and after a little more discussion, I told her I'd start working on getting that first.  Not long after that announcement, I read that Zeppelin was preparing for a 1980 US tour!  PERFECT....I could easily get to a city near Nebraska and not go through the hassle of an overseas trip.

We all know how that worked out.

When they announced the show in 2007, I was determined to be at that show...no matter the cost....even if only got to sit outside the O2 and listen to it with my ear against the wall.  After a LOT of work, I managed to get a ticket (thanks to a new Irish friend) and managed to finally fulfill a life time dream I NEVER thought would come true! 

I'm glad for you that you went to the O2!

Any special memories of that legendary concert? I'd like to read them.

Although my favorite band is Led Zeppelin, I have to admit that I was lucky enough to attend several concerts of some of my idols, such as: Whitesnake, AC/DC, B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, ZZ Top, Judas Priest, Joe Lynn Turner, Robert Plant, Ian Anderson, John Fogerty, Glenn Hughes, Europe, Billy Cobham, etc!

*I have the album 'Black Ice' and the tour book signed by Angus Young, Malcolm Young and Phil Rudd. I attended all three nights at River Plate Stadium, but my girlfriend at the time was luckier and came out on top in 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap' from the 'Live at River Plate' DVD.

*B.B. King threw his pin into the crowd and I grabbed it.

*I have the first sheet of the set-list of John Fogerty's second night in Buenos Aires.

*'Slaves and Masters' signed by Joe Lynn Turner.

*'Spectrum' signed by Billy Cobham.

*'Mighty Rearranger' signed by Justin Adams.

:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, ElfRainbow said:

I had a dream to see a reunited Rainbow with Ronnie and Ritchie, sadly it never happened due to Ronnie’s early demise, there were talks of Elf reuniting also.

So I feel you guys pain.

I remember that sad day, I was in Buenos Aires (I am from Mar del Plata) with my girlfriend at that time and when I woke up she told me about Ronnie. :(

When I knew that Ritchie was going to play rock again in 2016, I played almost every week the lottery (this year too, I wanted to go to Spain). I had to get six numbers right to win, once I got four numbers right, that was the closest I ever came.

As I told you before, Page and Blackmore are my favorite guitarists.

But well, in 2017 Ronnie Romero came to my city and played songs from Rainbow, Deep Purple, Whitesnake and Black Sabbath.

11 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

I remember that sad day, I was in Buenos Aires (I am from Mar del Plata) with my girlfriend at that time and when I woke up she told me about Ronnie. :(

When I knew that Ritchie was going to play rock again in 2016, I played almost every week the lottery (this year too, I wanted to go to Spain). I had to get six numbers right to win, once I got four numbers right, that was the closest I ever came.

As I told you before, Page and Blackmore are my favorite guitarists.

But well, in 2017 Ronnie Romero came to my city and played songs from Rainbow, Deep Purple, Whitesnake and Black Sabbath.

I’m not too crazy about Ronnie Romero doing the Rainbow shows with Ritchie, I’m also not too fond of Dio’s stint with Black Sabbath, some songs are okay, but he was best with Elf and Rainbow, I don’t really even like his solo material in the band DIO.

27 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

...well, it's not like a whole lotta stuff is happening on the last day of their 50th anniversary....or the entire year for that matter!

Agreed. I get hopeful every time there's a new post in this thread that something's being announced. And when it's just a post about another band, it's even more disappointing than if it was just random speculation about what Zep might (or might not) do for the anniversary.

2 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Can we keep this thread on the topic of Zep's 50th? If you want to talk about other bands, there's a whole section of the site dedicated to them:

https://forums.ledzeppelin.com/forum/12-other-bands-music/

There's even a topic in it specifically dedicated to Dio:

Sorry man, I don’t even know how I got off topic to Rainbow on this thread.

Well, if Rainbow does a release or anything before Zep does, I am fine to post it here as at least this thread will get some real use.

Why Jimmy did not release a best of Earls Court for the 50th is beyond me. Reason I pick this instead of say a show from 69' is because there is so much usable pro-shot, officially recorded material which could be used. Jimmy could have put together a triple album of the best versions of each song from the 5 nights. The only sound issues I recall are with the 17th & 23rd, the 17th being issues with the sound system however that may or may not affect the recording. Then on the 23rd the bass drum was not recorded but that would be a relatively easy patch. Jimmy could have put this together in his sleep in between recording Scarlett's poetry album.B)

C'mon guys, throw us a bone.

19 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Well, if Rainbow does a release or anything before Zep does, I am fine to post it here as at least this thread will get some real use.

Why Jimmy did not release a best of Earls Court for the 50th is beyond me. Reason I pick this instead of say a show from 69' is because there is so much usable pro-shot, officially recorded material which could be used. Jimmy could have put together a triple album of the best versions of each song from the 5 nights. The only sound issues I recall are with the 17th & 23rd, the 17th being issues with the sound system however that may or may not affect the recording. Then on the 23rd the bass drum was not recorded but that would be a relatively easy patch. Jimmy could have put this together in his sleep in between recording Scarlett's poetry album.B)

I like your name PeaceFrogYum, it’s cool.

I use to be really into frogs and keep all sorts and Toads too.

The real bone thrown would be if the guys had gotten together and given us an album or even an EP, but I know Plant wouldn’t do that, he said he’s done with Zeppelin.

5 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I don't think Jimmy's gonna release anything new.

But I would like a box-set 'Super Deluxe' from Royal Albert Hall 1970. With vinyls, cds, DVD or Bluray, HD download card and a kind of book... something like the box-set 'Super Deluxe' TSRTS. I really love that concert... and of course I'd love the Earl's Court stuff.

9 minutes ago, Rodrigo said:

I don't think Jimmy's gonna release anything new.

But I would like a box-set 'Super Deluxe' from Royal Albert Hall 1970. With vinyls, cds, DVD or Bluray, HD download card and a kind of book... something like the box-set 'Super Deluxe' TSRTS. I really love that concert... and of course I'd love the Earl's Court stuff.

A stand alone release for RAH is a no brainier. Should've been done years ago. The 50th anniversary is next week, a perfect opportunity. Oh well. 😒

18 hours ago, porgie66 said:

A stand alone release for RAH is a no brainier. Should've been done years ago. The 50th anniversary is next week, a perfect opportunity. Oh well. 😒

+1 (or release it on JP’s birthday)

We see why so many Led Zeppelin audio & video bootlegs have been released due to interest.

My Official Led Zeppelin wishlist:

RAH / Bath ‘70

HTEWW  - Japan

Earls Court ‘75

77 Tour (best of)

’79 Knebworth + Rehearsals 

‘80 Over Europe (various) 

R😎

5134986D-E7AF-408B-BC9A-93405B262104.jpeg

Edited by reids