Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

On 5/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, clw said:

i dont do steaming or spotfy

Welcome back clw. It depends what is being made available to stream, if they would put some live shows on there I'd be interested.

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Maybe this should be in 'random thoughts' thread.....

I wonder if we are any closer to an official announcement of a live release......

I'd say that's unlikely, ever. IIRC around the time of all the recent re-releases , super deluxe editions etc Page said there were no plans for any more live releases.  But as we know Jimbo is not a man of his word, ("There'll definitely be something new next year") making "promise's and not keeping them, you never know. TBH I couldn't care less. Though I'd doubtless put my hand in my pocket if it happened.

11 minutes ago, JTM said:

Page said there were no plans for any more live releases.

Oh, I never heard that. I only heard the "vault is empty" quote which seemed to pertain to studio material. I'll remain hopeful - but I understand great patience is probably required as Jimmy does operate on "Zeppelin time".

Other big 50th anniversarys coming up: Apollo 11 Moon Landing, Woodstock, Manson murders, Abbey Road. 

So the oxygen is going to be sucked up (especially by the Beatles) pretty soon leaving little media space for Led Zeppelin if they don't have a marketing plan in place by now.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Other big 50th anniversarys coming up: Apollo 11 Moon Landing, Woodstock, Manson murders, Abbey Road. 

So the oxygen is going to be sucked up (especially by the Beatles) pretty soon leaving little media space for Led Zeppelin if they don't have a marketing plan in place by now.

Abbey Road - brilliant album

12 hours ago, Strider said:

I don't know Strider - it may swing the other way where a lot of these 50th celebrations generate a fair bit of nostalgia for all things of that era and actually help with the exposure and consumer interest of any Zep 50th treasures. But yes - they better damn well get on with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It would be great if Pagey could be seen playing in public again for the 50th - I'm crushed to bits that no one can convince him to pick it up again. It's a rough 50th for me for a couple of reasons - Led Zeppelin tour would destroy every other band on the planet but it's not meant to be and Concorde's 50th is this month and she is rotting in a field so I'm a bit put off by it all this month

13 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

It would be great if Pagey could be seen playing in public again for the 50th - I'm crushed to bits that no one can convince him to pick it up again. It's a rough 50th for me for a couple of reasons - Led Zeppelin tour would destroy every other band on the planet but it's not meant to be and Concorde's 50th is this month and she is rotting in a field so I'm a bit put off by it all this month

If you mean pick up a guitar, alone, I don;t think so. Maybe if Jimmy's surrounded by 3 or 4 others, so Jimmy can "lay back" and play some chords. But a lead?? I don't see it.

So prove me wrong. Let Jimmy perform a magical rendition Bron-Yr-Aur, and then I'll be a Believer.

Let's face it...The Cure is stealing everyone's Thunder with their 40th anniversary events - and they well deserve to!

Robert Smith is blowing away Robert Plant both in voice and dynamics. 

If Led Zep did their 50th like The Cure is doing their 40th we'd all be a very ecstatic bunch.

For now - Robert Smith and his band of merry players is more than worth seeing live while the Mighty Zep members

rest on their laurels.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:06 PM, SteveAJones said:

Point noted, but Genesis doesn't own the rights to do something like that.

Judging based on its cover, it's a book tailored for gear heads -- high res photos of his amps, guitars and effects pedals. It would seem to compliment the ongoing "remastering" of many of these items.

And that would be me...

The sausage that I am has already pre-ordered...my god man...there's info on the Outrider suit! Who could say no? 

There's a certain 'Groundhog Day'-like spell that gets cast in here whenever 'the band' announce something 'new'. It sort of goes like this:

1. Archaic, ineffective announcement that 'x' will be released on 'y' day.

2. JPP shoots some hyperbolic, yet vague grape-shot out about the necessity and brilliance of 'x'; 

3.  Folks either 'cream' or 'cramp' about 'x';  this results in hurling us down a mudslide that forks into two swamps called, 'Jimmy's New Material' and 'What they should have released is...'

4. 'Jimmy's New Material' is the less painful death of the two...a sudden flash of pointless speculation that gets quickly smothered by a SAJ (I thank yew) blanket that is woven from direct JP quotes over the last twenty years that contradict or refute the previous one (Usually filled with metaphors or allusions that are actually WORSE that the one's I'm using..."getting match fit' ..blah..blah..blah.)

5. 'What they should have released' is dire and fraught with fever dreams generally consisting of non-existent video/multi-track recordings that finally degenerate into ideas that would make a DMT user say, 'Dude, that's fu*cked up!' Blu-Ray editions of C/P material or a steel-box 'Outrider'.

6. And....scene.

:nuke: 

Edited by Paimonus Rex

Here's a funny story. I saw that a local minor league baseball team was having a special fireworks show to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin. Here's the promotion:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2109674472475808&id=1451794498263812#!/MKEMilkmen/photos/a.1463475760429019/2109673465809242/?type=3&source=57&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

Now, I'm not much of a baseball fan. In fact, I can't help but think it's possibly the most boring spectator sport ever invented. But a Led Zeppelin fireworks show sounded awesome, and I feel like I should support an organization that presents an awesome event like this, so I bought tickets.

I also found it amusing that a minor league baseball team would do more to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin than Led Zeppelin has.

So last night was the game. My girlfriend and I went. We sat through four hours of minor league baseball, which was less painful than I expected but still not exactly my ideal night, and just as the game ended they announced over the loudspeaker that the Led Zeppelin fireworks were cancelled.

As we were walking out I thought, well that's perfectly in line with the rest of the 50th anniversary "celebration." A long anticipation followed by a big disappointing pile of nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, The Rover said:

I don't even know if Pagey could guest with this guy on his tour...

48300601791_3fb2712e6b.jpg

Could...but won't. When Page failed to jam with Jeff Beck in Tokyo nearly three years ago it told me everything I needed to know. Page has since attended several other concerts, to include Roy Harper, yet not jammed. He's a museum piece at this point, literally and figuratively. It didn't have to be this way but it is and most have moved on. 

36 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Since Page hasn't played publicly in so long I was wondering if he has a medical condition that's preventing him from playing? Something akin to what Peter Frampton has and he's just keeping the issue private. In any case it's his decision to play in public or not.  

The couple snippets in the Met exhibition video show he can play, it's just anyone's guess what kind of shape his chops are in and how long he could play. I'm assuming he's very rusty, plus he's 75. If he doesn't have a physical issue like tendonitis or arthritis , he would still need to practice and build up his facility and stamina. The fact that he wouldn't even play a blues jam with Beck a few years ago really confirmed the sad truth for me as SAJ said above. He's the curator and keeper of Zeppelin's legacy at this point. Hopefully we will see some live and studio archive material released. That's about it. 

7 minutes ago, The Rover said:

Is there some rule of thumb that at 75 or older, guitarists can't play?

What does "he's 75" really mean. Really? Tell me please...

Of course not. I should have qualified that a little more. What I meant was... at that age, physical issues like those I mentioned are not uncommon, so it'd be a greater challenge to step back in the game than it would at a younger age. He hasn't gigged, or played regularly ( so far as we know ) for a long time. He's 75, therefore he may have physical shortcomings related to his age. He looked ok strumming out some Ramble On and Stairway in that video though....not great, but not bad.