Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary

sam_webmaster

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, porgie66 said:

"Then as it was, then again it will be."

Another book, just what everyone wanted. 🙄

Screenshot_20190328-062511.png

Presumably, this is the stuff that wasn't good enough to get into Jimmy's photo book?! Underwhelmed, much?

32 minutes ago, Brigante said:

Presumably, this is the stuff that wasn't good enough to get into Jimmy's photo book?! Underwhelmed, much?

How about the music that "wasn't good enough" to get officially released?? This horse has been dead and decomposed a while now, yet we still beat it with fury. I can't help but wonder if Jimmy just really has a hard time accepting the fact that a lot of their live performances are quite sloppy, even though they're treasures to the hardcore fans. I wonder if he just feels like there's not enough that's worthy of an official release anymore? Maybe he feels it would require a lot of doctoring to remove the flaws, and that it's not worth the expense and time. Yet I still can't understand why he wouldn't at least put out an official audio release of Royal Albert Hall for example. Rumor is he is working on something, but it obviously must be way more time consuming than choosing pics for a book. 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:27 PM, porgie66 said:

"Then as it was, then again it will be."

Another book, just what everyone wanted. 🙄

Screenshot_20190328-062511.png

Screenshot_20190328-063314.png

I'll be frank. I don't need another 50 Ross Halfin photos of Jimmy Page posing with a guitar. The only way this book is even remotely of interest is if it include a treasure trove of previously unseen Page pics from childhood to 1965. How's that for registering interest? 

I work in books. Traditionally, an 'anthology' means editorial content, not just a bunch of photos.

This suggests this new Jimmy Page 'Anthology' will be a collection of Jimmy Page interviews, articles, reviews, and press releases published over the arc of his career.

I was doubtful...and maybe it’s because I’ve been a fan since I was a kid many many years ago, but I still believe we’ll be getting more fun stuff like books and guitar remakes and eventually - more live releases.    

And yes I’ve whined about more live releases and wanting them NOW, but guy and girls, be patient Jimmy said over the next 10 years.  

We are experiencing a total Mr. Freezer description...gimmie Gimmie GIMMIE - it’s the 50th now!!

Jimmy is in his Golden Era and is probably enjoying his life’s work and we’ll get that live release - seeing pictures of Jimmy Page repainting his Dragon tele??!?  Does one here “get it?”

Am I the only one saying “Go Jimmy- GO!!”   In 1980 imagine seeing pictures of Jimmy painting the Dragon Tele yet today we whine when seeing those pictures with our own personal agendas...

So sit back and enjoy everything he’s giving us.  

(At least he isn’t outright lying to us like that dude BlackSwag from RO.com and saying we’re getting a ‘68 live release by last Nov. and every member there drank the Kool-aid and it turned out to be fake).

Looks to me like Jimmy is giving us everything we always wanted...just not according to YOUR timeline which is fucking with you all hard.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Another book!!!   🙄

With the books Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin, and the ones that accompanied the Remastered Super Deluxe Boxsets... what else is there left to put in a book that is already out there in official and unofficial print? I doubt Jimmy will release detailed accounts of his musical career with this upcoming book... although I would love to be proved wrong on this.

I was excited for the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin, but it has been very lackluster.... not much press about the 50th and not much released to get excited about. I get the shoes, snowboard, and digital playlists to mostly appeal to the newer generation of Zep fans, but I could care less what Zep tunes Jack White or the members of Royale Blood like. With limited funds available (since I spent a sh*tload on the remastered SDBS), I'll pass on all the other merchandise until hopefully some live music gets released. 

If there isn't any music being released for the 50th anniversary.... that would be very very sad and disappointing, and in my opinion, a missed opportunity to the legacy of Led Zeppelin.

5 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I was doubtful...and maybe it’s because I’ve been a fan since I was a kid many many years ago, but I still believe we’ll be getting more fun stuff like books and guitar remakes and eventually - more live releases.    

And yes I’ve whined about more live releases and wanting them NOW, but guy and girls, be patient Jimmy said over the next 10 years.  

We are experiencing a total Mr. Freezer description...gimmie Gimmie GIMMIE - it’s the 50th now!!

Jimmy is in his Golden Era and is probably enjoying his life’s work and we’ll get that live release - seeing pictures of Jimmy Page repainting his Dragon tele??!?  Does one here “get it?”

Am I the only one saying “Go Jimmy- GO!!”   In 1980 imagine seeing pictures of Jimmy painting the Dragon Tele yet today we whine when seeing those pictures with our own personal agendas...

So sit back and enjoy everything he’s giving us.  

(At least he isn’t outright lying to us like that dude BlackSwag from RO.com and saying we’re getting a ‘68 live release by last Nov. and every member there drank the Kool-aid and it turned out to be fake).

Looks to me like Jimmy is giving us everything we always wanted...just not according to YOUR timeline which is fucking with you all hard.

This 100% :goodpost:

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

This 100% :goodpost:

Wow another smart patient member on the Internet.   It’s one year into a 10 year plan and we’ve gotten books and guitars and unreleased singles of “Friends” etc etc.  

Let’s say there are only a few live releases left...would you rather have them all come out tomorrow and then nothing ever again?   Or have some interesting things come out here and there and also some big live releases added in every couple years for a 10 year span?  

Heck they only released their official albums for ten years when they were a young active band...give it time...

Jimmy said “10 years” (or a 10 year Celebration of a “10 year” career) not “I’ll release everything tomorrow for the 50th anniversary...”

Edited by Sticks of Fire

The sad thing is Jimmy Page promised new music ? 

As I’ve stated before, I’m not a fan of bootlegs ( terrible sounding) 

it just gets old that Page keeps sayhe will have new music coming out?

so in short this 50th  anniversary was ok, but definitely lacking on truly substantial substance. Van shoes....wtf

21 hours ago, Strider said:

I work in books. Traditionally, an 'anthology' means editorial content, not just a bunch of photos.

This suggests this new Jimmy Page 'Anthology' will be a collection of Jimmy Page interviews, articles, reviews, and press releases published over the arc of his career.

Point noted, but Genesis doesn't own the rights to do something like that.

Judging based on its cover, it's a book tailored for gear heads -- high res photos of his amps, guitars and effects pedals. It would seem to compliment the ongoing "remastering" of many of these items.

16 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

(BlackSwag from RO.com saying we’re getting a ‘68 live release by last Nov. and every member there drank the Kool-aid and it turned out to be fake).

1. Have to disagree. Gimmie gimmie gimmie does not apply here. No one asked for anything more than what the man himself said was in the offering by the end of last year. Now, that ship has sailed.

2. I'm a member of RO.com and the record there shows I never believed BlackSwag for a moment on that. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

10 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Wow another smart patient member on the Internet.   It’s one year into a 10 year plan.

Jimmy said “10 years” (or a 10 year Celebration of a “10 year” career) not “I’ll release everything tomorrow for the 50th anniversary...”

We are one year into a 75 year old man's 10 year PLAN?! Are you fucking serious? Anyone even remotely tracking Page's progress over the past 20 years saw that for what it is -- media fodder.

Then again, given Page was last scene digging thru the junk drawer in his kitchen looking for a misplaced Coverdale/Page outtake it could take him ten years to fully realize this grand vision.   

Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

1. Have to disagree. Gimmie gimmie gimmie does not apply here. No one asked for anything more than what the man himself said was in the offering by the end of last year. Now, that ship has sailed.

2. I'm a member of RO.com and the record there shows I never believed BlackSwag for a moment on that. I'm sure I'm not the only one. 

You’re a great collector and I do enjoy reading your comments- my earlier posts- I was just having a little fun. :)

27 minutes ago, Paganini said:

The only thing left for Jimmy to do of any real value now is to get on and write his autobiography-before it’s too late. Somehow I doubt we’ll ever get to read it though......

Fat chance. I don't believe he'd ever do that, just too secretive.

4 hours ago, Paganini said:

The only thing left for Jimmy to do of any real value now is to get on and write his autobiography-before it’s too late. Somehow I doubt we’ll ever get to read it though......

To be released posthumously....

I’m here for the music. JP promised a series of live music releases over the next 10 years over a year ago (per Rolling Stone) and his solo album now for 10+ years he has been making the same promises (of next year; every year). With LZ’s 50th Anniversary, it would be a great time for us to finally see at least one official LZ live audio, Clarksdale Reissue (with bonus tracks +Dvd/Blu-Ray concert) , Coverdale Page (w/ bonus tracks +dvd/blu Ray concert), XYZ stuff and/or JP solo studio release in multiple formats (digital, limited cd , blu ray audio, and limited edition vinyl). Anything other than that is just a waste of our time. Baiting just to get clicks on social media is exhausting.  We’ve got umpteen books, posters and bought the remastered LZ studio catalog multiple times over in all formats, etc and aren’t interested in shoes, etc. With the advent of virtual (holographic) concerts like Dio, Zappa, etc, , I’m surprised Led Zeppelin hasn’t pre-recorded one, too. 

R😎

Edited by reids

On 3/30/2019 at 3:50 PM, SteveAJones said:

We are one year into a 75 year old man's 10 year PLAN?! Are you fucking serious? Anyone even remotely tracking Page's progress over the past 20 years saw that for what it is -- media fodder.

Then again, given Page was last scene digging thru the junk drawer in his kitchen looking for a misplaced Coverdale/Page outtake it could take him ten years to fully realize this grand vision.   

Well said Steve.

For a band as big as Led Zeppelin.... the 50th anniversary of the band so far is a big disappointment. The 50th anniversary of the their first rehearsal and tour... nothing. Jimmy couldn't find anything to clean up enough for release, even sub-par stuff?  He couldn't rework a bootleg for a release? Anything? If nothing was available rehearsal wise or for the first tour, then the Led Zeppelin book was a great idea to start off the 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin. In my opinion, the book would have been better had there not been books to accompany the remastered SDBS. I personally feel that... oh look another book with pictures... to go along with the other ones that I got from the SDBS.

The 50th anniversary of the their first album... nothing.  This shocks me. A band only has one 50th anniversary. I really thought something special would be done for this. I was holding out hope that the reason we got a live release for the companion remasters of LZ1 was that there was something special coming for the 50th of the bands' debut album. Sneakers, snowboards, and digital playlists just don't cut it. Every time I see the slogan "Become Part Of The Led Zeppelin Legacy" on social media, I roll my eyes. Sure, I'll become part of the great legacy.... by creating my own digital media playlist... ffs!!! What are other great bands doing for their 50th anniversary? Not f**king sneakers, snowboards, and digital playlists!

Jimmy's 10 year plan would only make sense if they were releasing the remastered SDBS on the 50th of each album release (Ending with the Coda would have been amazing, with all the goodies that it had). For whatever reason, they were released a few  years ago. If they had waited, at least I would have gotten excited album re-release dates. Having some music release on the 51th or 52nd anniversary does not have the same feel to it (even though I will still buy it). Let's be honest here, most people want music products and not sneakers or snowboards. I have a lot of Zeppelin merchandise, but the music comes first. It's great to have the merchandise, but having music to celebrate the 50th would have been a lot better than sneakers or snowboards. It's the 50th anniversary celebration of Led Zeppelin and their music... not of Jimmy's underage groupie or Robert's bulge in his pants.