Black_Dog

Mothership  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion

• Awesome
    • Good
    • Dissapointing

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the DVD right now. I bought the Mothership in November or December of last year. I don't like how it cuts off many of the songs in the DVD. Will have to look into the other DVD someone mentioned that has the full versions of it I guess. As far as the CD's go, I can tell the difference in the sound quality and as someone said the volume is louder than the originals. I have Led Zeppelin on albums (vinyl) that were my first introduction to Led Zeppelin many (many) years ago that I still own but no turntable to play them on! :( I also own cassette tapes of Led Zeppelin that I still play at home and in the vehicle...I even dug out some that I had taped off a radio station from years (many) ago! I also have CD's of theirs too. I also had 8 track tapes of Led Zeppelin but don't have those anymore. I took the MP3 plunge last year and have an IPod so all the cds are now on it of Led Zeppelin along with some songs I bought off itunes of Led Zeppelin. I wish I had a way to get the vinyl on my MP3 since I don't have a turntable to play them on anymore and a way to get the cassettes on the Ipod too. I have read you can buy a device that does this for you but haven't really looked into that much.

I have thought about buying the boxed set of Led Zeppelin of 4 cds that were released in 1990 (I think). Is this worth getting?

<_< Sure its great but...It has almost the same song line up as the "Early Days/Later Days" and half of the other compilations. Dont get me wrong, I love Black Dog and Rock n' Roll too, but its time for a new mix. Does anyone agree with me?

Yea it just had fewer songs. Oh and the total time for disc 1 was 66:16 wait until jimmy gets ragged on for "Satanism" again lol

I love Mothership, and I think the sound is amazing. I sometimes switch between the same song on Motherhip and the original (remastered) CD when I'm in the car, and the difference is huge. It's also much louder on Mothership - I have to turn the volume down or it deafens me! :D

Louder=better now?

Sorry but I won't be buying this, because from everything I've heard they completely fucked up the re-mastering and fucking brickwalled Zeppelin.

• 11 months later...

I think it's alright but Zepp are the kind of band that have no "best of" there are so many amazing songs which should have gone on there, and anyway I feel that Zepp are better on stage than on studio.

But I have got the CD and vinyl I just don't listen to it very often.

• 5 months later...

I bought it after reading a review taht said the sound quality was superior to their previous best of releases. I won't say I'm disappointed because I ordered the DVD. I though tha alone was worth it but I really don't notice any differnece in the sound quality.

I am considering buying the enhanced TSRTS soundtrack( I have The Movie already),

Plaease give some feedback on what you think about this. Am I missing anything?

Mothership or Early Days/Later Days...I personally prefer Box Set I & II. Although I have all three compilations, the Box Set's are my albums of choice.

As to TSRTS soundtracks, the origional is still good, but the double CD with additional tracks is magic.

As to any albums mentioned above, whatever floats your boat is fine in my opinion...just enjoy great music!!

Kenny

Mothership doesn't show Zep's variety and versatility very well. It mostly showcases their rock and blues output, which is only half of the story.

I have it, but it's a disappointing collection of songs to me.

<_< Sure its great but...It has almost the same song line up as the "Early Days/Later Days" and half of the other compilations. Dont get me wrong, I love Black Dog and Rock n' Roll too, but its time for a new mix. Does anyone agree with me?

yes we do need a new mix but i think they were aiming to hook the newbies

yes we do need a new mix but i think they were aiming to hook the newbies

Yeah, that's what it was all about. And it was also to boost their sales on iTunes when they gave once their songs were made available for download. Personally, I think that in terms of content it stacks up well against the earlier 2-disc best of's, but the production is inferior to Remasters and Early Days/Latter Days IMO. To me, Mothership thin and digitalized compared to relative warmth if you will of Early Days.

All other things aside, I find it insulting that Led Zeppelin could not and would not "fill" the Mothership with songs. An average of about 68 minutes per disc is simply not acceptable, when you could easily put another song on each CD, and perhaps 2 songs each, depending on the length.

As you probably already are aware.... CDs hold 80 minutes of music. Just take a look at the CDRs in your store and check the time available.

There was noo need to scrimp on the Mothership with only about an average of 68 minutes per disc.

The inculsion "Houses Of The Holy" is a mystery to me.

A good effort on Mothership.... but, it could have been better, time wise, couldn't it ??

• 7 months later...

I think Mothership worked based on what it was originally designed for, introduce Zeppelin to a new generation of listeners.

The radio faves are on this as is an edited DVD........which is enough to hook new listeners into wanting more.

Long time fans wouldn't want this I don't believe, unless you're into re-buying stuff you know backwards just to get the latest "digital version" mix or mastering.

I'll take a raincheck on that nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I have Mothership, it was a gift, but I wouldn't buy it. Why? Because compliations are always subjective, especially with Zepp.

Ok, there are some bands where the choices for a 'best of' are obvious, who you would struggle to fill ONE cd with awesome songs, like Cream or Deep Purple or The Dead. But with a Zepp compilation, even if a double Cd, there's always gonna be controversy - like, 'Hey, where's The Goddamn Ocean', or 'WTF is Ramble On doing here?'

I made my own comps, and if some people on here saw what I left off, it would probaly start a freakin' WAR! :D

But Mothership, it's an ok starter for newbies, and if they like it and get curious and collect ALL the Zepp Cds, well, they will be in for a few pleasant surprises. Unlike, say, Purple or Cream, who are both definitely 'single CD' bands. IMO.

Toni

• 3 weeks later...

It is a good compilation but I would of liked to have seen more from III. III is a classic and deserved more than 2 entries in my opinion. I also disagree with the inclusion of D'yer Mak'er and No Quarter and I was somewhat surprised Custard Pie was not included in the album.

But overall, pretty good I think.

No Quarter? What's wrong with that song? I love it -in studio version and live version(s). It's having great hooks (for me, at least). And it's exemplify the dark facet of Zep very well.

Btw, Mothership was my door to Zeppelin.

No Quarter? What's wrong with that song? I love it -in studio version and live version(s). It's having great hooks (for me, at least). And it's exemplify the dark facet of Zep very well.

Btw, Mothership was my door to Zeppelin.

I dont think there is anything wrong with the song... It is ok and is one of the better songs on HOTH in my view. I was more surprised with the inclusion of D'yer Mak'er.

However, HOTH is my least favourite album overall and if it was up to me, I would not of put 4 HOTH tracks on the compilation. The fact that there was 4 tracks from HOTH, but only 3 tracks from both II and PG and only 2 from III surprised me a little bit.

Archived