Copenhagen July 24th 1979

Paulus

7 hours ago, Strider said:

They had great moments at Knebworth and the 1980 tour but this is the last great start-to-finish concert of their career. Even casual or non-fans don't complain about this one when you play it.

Spot on.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:52 AM, Paulus said:

Led Zeppelin's last great show. 

I consider myself a die hard Zep fan and collector and after your post I realized I did not have either the 23rd or the 24th show. Now I do and i am listening and LOVING them! Cheers my friend and Thanks. 

3 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Wasn't there an announcement about streaming? What a let down the whole thing has been. Sad.  

Yeah. The optimistic me says they are cleaning up a variety of concerts in prep for streaming and it's taking time. Strange they announce streaming with no follow up info/Announcements for so long.

The realistic me considers the almost non existent 50th content of real interest. 

The Pseudonym remaster is the one to go for as far as this show is concerned. I must admit that I have never really given this show much of a chance as IMO the recording just sounds far too thin and tinny. There is just no bass or power to it. I genuinely can't understand why people acclaim it as one of the best audience recordings ever, to my ears it's really lacking for the reasons I just gave. 

However the Pseudonym remaster does go some way towards giving it more weight. 

On 7/28/2019 at 11:09 AM, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

The Pseudonym remaster is the one to go for as far as this show is concerned. I must admit that I have never really given this show much of a chance as IMO the recording just sounds far too thin and tinny. There is just no bass or power to it. I genuinely can't understand why people acclaim it as one of the best audience recordings ever, to my ears it's really lacking for the reasons I just gave. 

An equalizer and a good pair of speakers should take care of any "weight/bass" problems.

• 10 months later...
On 7/28/2019 at 2:09 PM, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

Aren't the assertions of "best audience recording ever" usually in reference to the first night?  The 24th is definitely the better performance, but the 23rd is an all-time great recording sound-wise.

No offense to Pseudonym but I thought that remaster made it sound artificial and squeezed too much 

the 23rd is a nice Aud recording for sure, but the 24th is SUCH a better show, and my dream is that a SB will surface some day 

• 1 year later...

IMO the Achilles Last Stand on 7-24-79 is the most technically perfect version played live and the one closest to the album. Jimmy even throws in some lines he never used before which works very well to fill in the sound.

Also want to point out Jimmy's tone during these show's is much more reminiscent of 73'. He still uses the super-clean tone at times but in this case his playing is up to the task so it sounds good but, IMO I am not a fan of the super clean tone he used especially in 75'. I prefer the fatter, fuller, raunchier tone of 73'.

Thoughts?

15 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

IMO the Achilles Last Stand on 7-24-79 is the most technically perfect version played live and the one closest to the album. Jimmy even throws in some lines he never used before which works very well to fill in the sound.

Also want to point out Jimmy's tone during these show's is much more reminiscent of 73'. He still uses the super-clean tone at times but in this case his playing is up to the task so it sounds good but, IMO I am not a fan of the super clean tone he used especially in 75'. I prefer the fatter, fuller, raunchier tone of 73'.

Thoughts?

I've never seen anyone say they liked Jim's 75 tone lol. It puts a serious dent in the appeal of the music that year along with croaky Plant and over relaxed Bonzo.