what's next?

lololabrute

A number of Zeppelin followers think that Page has stored up lots of material that might (or might not) see the light of day at some point in time; but yet to be determined.  It would be wonderful if Page and an interviewer familiar with recording techniques during Zeppelin's recording era, sat down and documented what equipment and techniques were in vogue at the time of recording Led Zeppelin classic creations.  I'm aware that it would be a long reach back into Page's memory, but bringing in Jones to work on a project may yield some surprises.

ADK-Zeppy

I believe it is Plant which is preventing the release of Zep live material, at least that's what I heard. Either Plant does not want to compete with his former self, or, as what he has said in interviews, he is embarrassed by his "histrionics" as he called it during his Zeppelin years. I love Plant but he fancies himself more a crooner these days.

If I am wrong please let me know but this is what I had heard from several other sources.

Bath 1970.

Near as I can tell here is where this stands.

Dave Lewis questioned a Professor Chibnall in 2017 about the status of the Peter Whitehead film. "There’s 20 to 30 minutes and a lot of it is backstage. I’ve only seen the footage, I haven’t seen it with sound...when Led Zeppelin played, they played in the dark and there was insufficient stage lighting for (Whitehead's) cameras. So he reckoned that the footage, the live footage, was not usable. It is usable because, I mean, it can be, it can be restored now. So you can raise those lighting levels, you can see more digitally...I think it would be a really good project for 2020." Yes, he said 2020.

Seems a ripe journalistic endeavor to follow up with Chibnall.

5 hours ago, lololabrute said:

Have we hit the ceiling of all possible soundboard recordings available out there in the world? :)

Blackmikito over at RO did an amazing job researching Zep soundboards and figuring out what shows were recorded. The TLDR is that it's likely that there are soundboards for every show from 1971 on. However, that doesn't mean we'll get to hear most of them as the band, if they even still have them, don't seem interested in releasing them officially. My guess is that Empress Valley will continue to trickle out one a year, and who knows if those will be for shows for which there's no corresponding audience recording. I think the best hope we have for hearing new shows is if the Dogs of Doom track down audience recordings that haven't previously circulated.

https://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46925 

13 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

Blackmikito over at RO did an amazing job researching Zep soundboards and figuring out what shows were recorded. The TLDR is that it's likely that there are soundboards for every show from 1971 on. However, that doesn't mean we'll get to hear most of them as the band, if they even still have them, don't seem interested in releasing them officially. My guess is that Empress Valley will continue to trickle out one a year, and who knows if those will be for shows for which there's no corresponding audience recording. I think the best hope we have for hearing new shows is if the Dogs of Doom track down audience recordings that haven't previously circulated.

https://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46925 

Thanks for posting this. That was an incredible read, he did indeed do an amazing job. I noticed from the link that there was no mention of the 71 UK Fall Tour being recorded, but maybe that was an oversight? At any rate, even having one a year come out from EV is a treat.

13 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

I believe it is Plant which is preventing the release of Zep live material, at least that's what I heard. Either Plant does not want to compete with his former self, or, as what he has said in interviews, he is embarrassed by his "histrionics" as he called it during his Zeppelin years. I love Plant but he fancies himself more a crooner these days.

If I am wrong please let me know but this is what I had heard from several other sources.

I've read here and elsewhere the same thing. We can only hope Percy no longer gives a shit and the next time Page thinks about doing something he has the green light in that respect.

I really hope Jimmy keeps getting the spark to consider more live releases.

He has the Japan multi-track as I understand it. Bath is rumoured to be recorded, and some of the '75 soundboards are as good as it gets "unofficial quality" wise (Seattle, many others) which he could definitely work with.

I noted in every interview when he was flogging the re-releases/companions, he was questioned about "what was left in the archives" he always answered studio material was done. Nothing really left. He always seemed to subtly quantify studio material - which was never picked up on or challenged by interviewers. I always thought this was careful, and he must have live stuff.

The only other thing was the time a few of the Zep boys jammed with a few of the Black Sabbath lads. Apparently that was taped as they were in the studio. Someone must have it...

Edited by rm2551

15 hours ago, Zep Hed said:

Bath 1970.

Near as I can tell here is where this stands.

Dave Lewis questioned a Professor Chibnall in 2017 about the status of the Peter Whitehead film. "There’s 20 to 30 minutes and a lot of it is backstage. I’ve only seen the footage, I haven’t seen it with sound...when Led Zeppelin played, they played in the dark and there was insufficient stage lighting for (Whitehead's) cameras. So he reckoned that the footage, the live footage, was not usable. It is usable because, I mean, it can be, it can be restored now. So you can raise those lighting levels, you can see more digitally...I think it would be a really good project for 2020." Yes, he said 2020.

Seems a ripe journalistic endeavor to follow up with Chibnall.

My "Pace" poster of the band on stage at Bath that I had on my bedroom wall showed daylight through the back curtain, probably a plc taken early in the set.

23 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

There hasn't been a conversation had since the 80's where live releases and Plants feeling towards them haven't been discussed. How he felt about them at one point in time is pretty much out there and not really a secret or an inside thing anymore. 

However, I don't think he has much issue with these now (he said yes already didn't he?) other then he probably doesn't care about them much and would rather prioritise projects he does care about over those that he doesn't. So although, IMO, a flat out "no" isn't happening, he's also not clearing his schedule to deal with it, if he has to, either. 

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Well for a start, they have the rest of the 29/9/71 soundboard as the teaser of Twist and Shout was released. I was hoping it would come out this year, but it will probably be next. 

I agree, but I was damn sure they were holding it for the anniversary two months ago but not to be. Me now thinks they have yet to buy the rest from another party. Strange business we are all involved in!

On 12/2/2021 at 7:38 AM, Tainted cheese said:

I agree, but I was damn sure they were holding it for the anniversary two months ago but not to be. Me now thinks they have yet to buy the rest from another party. Strange business we are all involved in!

Think they already have it mate. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going by the likes of "Coda" and the bonus tracks on the reissues of the back catalogue, the studio recordings well would seem to be dry. Whatever does come out officially would have to be fresh live material. Would the surviving members leave that material alone before release, or would they feel the need to stitch in vocals from another concert or truncate a guitar solo here and there ? The best stuff is already out there in Zeppelinland and is free to trade, download or buy. Dive in head first and enjoy the actual live recordings of the greatest rock band that ever plugged in.

2 hours ago, Walesdad said:

Going by the likes of "Coda" and the bonus tracks on the reissues of the back catalogue, the studio recordings well would seem to be dry. Whatever does come out officially would have to be fresh live material. Would the surviving members leave that material alone before release, or would they feel the need to stitch in vocals from another concert or truncate a guitar solo here and there ? The best stuff is already out there in Zeppelinland and is free to trade, download or buy. Dive in head first and enjoy the actual live recordings of the greatest rock band that ever plugged in.

There's no real indication that Page (who would drive everything here) is willing to do even a little bit of work to put out any live archival stuff.  So barring a leak of some kind, I doubt we'll ever see any kind of official release of anything.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

There's no real indication that Page (who would drive everything here) is willing to do even a little bit of work to put out any live archival stuff.  So barring a leak of some kind, I doubt we'll ever see any kind of official release of anything.

I agree. There was speculation a few years ago that he was working on a Japan ‘71 release, but cracked it when the SBD bootleg emerged. All conjecture and hearsay mind. 

I hate to admint it, but yeah, there is no next. The only glimmer of hope is the doco sparks something up in Page to revisit the Japan release - or a proper Earls Court, but it looks like that's a  1-5% chance at best. I can only see further pro releases from the "estate" well in the future - and who knows how likely that is.

More the shame considering other artists releasing stuff on the shelf that is quality enough to their loyal bases.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Jimmy is that he spends ages identifying even a second or two of music that needs to be flown in from another date. He is so.....I want to say meticulous but I think it's almost like an obsession with Jimmy to eliminate every possible flaw. The Garden Tapes articles demonstrate that very clearly. We have nothing live, officially released, beyond 1973. If Jimmy had trust in other people to take much of the work away from him we might see some official releases beyond 1973 (CD not video) but as long as Jimmy has total control I can't see anything new unless Jimmy starts to delegate.