the FOOTBALL thread

Hermit

Stringy, we've had our ups and downs, but right now, at this moment, I love you my Raider brotha.

The Patsies loved the Tuck . . . until they met Justin Tuck. :D

Ah, you know its all in good fun, Sammy.

If you were here right now, we could go in the backyard and I'll be Ken Stabler and you could be Cliff Branch.....

:beer:

If you were here right now, we could go in the backyard and I'll be Ken Stabler and you could be Cliff Branch.....

Can I be Marcus Allen? hyper.gif

allen.jpg

[i was an "LA" Raiders fan when I lived there, ya know. B) ]

[Granted, I was an LA Rams fan, too,.. but they were in different conferences so it was ok. ;) ]

Ah, you know its all in good fun, Sammy.

Cliff Branch is too fast (and should be in the HOF, his numbers are better than Swan's.)

I'll be Freddie B. Or Dave Casper!

Always all in fun, String. :drunk: Here's to a decent Raiders Team in 08/09.

The Tom Petty halftime show was as great as Classic Rock Radio is great....

(I do not care for Classic Rock Radio !!)

The gane was great, one of the best ever.

This was FOOTBALL !! If I may say so !

Congrats to the NY Giants and their fans!!

Can I be Marcus Allen? hyper.gif

allen.jpg

[i was an "LA" Raiders fan when I lived there, ya know. B) ]

[Granted, I was an LA Rams fan, too,.. but they were in different conferences so it was ok. ;) ]

That team was one of the all time great teams! They get no love from the NFL or ESPN- remember when they came in real low on the top 20 NFL teams? Tom Flores came out and said he'd take that team against any team on the list, and he was right. In the Redskins they played a returning Super Bowl Champion and a team that like the Patriots had set an all time season record for scoring. The Raiders dominated that team and they would have dominated against this Patriot team tonight. They had a similar front four featuring Howie Long, Lyle Alzado and Greg Townshend. They had better linebackers (Hendricks, Marting and Millen) and a better secondary (have there ever been two better corners than Haynes and Hayes?). And with Plunkett and Marcus Allen, they had a better offense than these giants. They would have beaten these patriots the way they beat the Redskins.

Watching this live from the UK on good ol' BBC.

Hope I get it :wacko: ...

Given the time zone difference and the fact that you're not really a fan of American football to begin with, I figure you didn't make it beyond the first half, eh Pilot? If thats the case you missed one heck of an exciting 4th quarter of NFL football! Aw well, I think its cool that you even watched the first half. cheers, bud. :beer:

....for isn't it all just rugby with padding!!! :lol:

Here's how it should be done :wave:

nice hit! rugby players are tough dudes, for sure.

I think NFL players *hit harder* though. :wave:

B)

:D

That team was one of the all time great teams! They get no love from the NFL or ESPN- remember when they came in real low on the top 20 NFL teams? Tom Flores came out and said he'd take that team against any team on the list, and he was right. In the Redskins they played a returning Super Bowl Champion and a team that like the Patriots had set an all time season record for scoring. The Raiders dominated that team and they would have dominated against this Patriot team tonight. They had a similar front four featuring Howie Long, Lyle Alzado and Greg Townshend. They had better linebackers (Hendricks, Marting and Millen) and a better secondary (have there ever been two better corners than Haynes and Hayes?). And with Plunkett and Marcus Allen, they had a better offense than these giants. They would have beaten these patriots the way they beat the Redskins.

That game broke my heart, I was a 'Skins fan at that time. The Lions always sucked, so I always adopted another team as my favorite when I was a kid. So I was a fan of Riggins, The Hogs, The Smurfs, etc, and I was stunned when the Raiders won that game.

PS - the mere mention of Millen makes me shudder :bagoverhead:

The Giant's front four are the best, ever. Other great defenses usually had intimidating linebackers, safeties, and corners. Brady, Farve, and Romo were hardly given any time to take advantage of this, plus the job they did of again shutting down the running game. When Strahan retires, Kiwanuka will step up, and they should be able to keep the aggresive approach. Spagnulo will probably be a head coach somewhere else, hopefully not in their division...

the best thing that millen did was when he punched out patrick sullivan (when the sullivans owned the pats) on national tv...i believe howie long was involved as well

lester hayes (mr stickum) and ray guy (the best punter of all time) should be in the hall of fame

i remember raiders when dick vermeil cry..he he

while the pats did have a great season, i have no sympathy for that organization...they would have hung out tedi if they could after he suffered a stroke

That game broke my heart, I was a 'Skins fan at that time. The Lions always sucked, so I always adopted another team as my favorite when I was a kid. So I was a fan of Riggins, The Hogs, The Smurfs, etc, and I was stunned when the Raiders won that game.

PS - the mere mention of Millen makes me shudder :bagoverhead:

That's funny, the skins were my second team, too! My dad grew up in Washington, DC so I had lots of family there rooting for the 'skins, including my grandparents. So I had rooted for them in the previous 'bowl, skins over fins. I felt a lot of conflict over that superbowl, but in the end I could only make one choice.

Millen was a great linebacker- but someone flipped the script, a great emotional linebacker becomes a coach, not a GM. Hoping for a happy ending to that mess, Matt.

I remember when that Redskin team the previous year beat my Dolphins (the year of Woodstrock-:lol:). The Dolphins had a good defense (anybody remember the Killer B's??? Don't laugh-:lol: :lol:), a good/decent running game and a iffy QB situation (the woodstrock experiement). The Dolphins were in the SB again after a 11 year drought. I think it was a close ballgame until the Riggins run broke the game wide open for the Skins.

Great game but that Riggins run broke my heart; to this day, I cannot watch that highlight.

Millen was a great linebacker- but someone flipped the script, a great emotional linebacker becomes a coach, not a GM. Hoping for a happy ending to that mess, Matt.

The only possible happy ending is for Ford to relinquish the team to someone who cares about winning. He keeps guys around who he likes and are loyal to him, regardless of their performance or results. That's why Millen still has a job. One AFC GM anonymously said that Millen's record for futility is one that will never be equaled, because NO ONE would ever be allowed to be that bad for that long and still hold on to their job. It really is amazing that he continues to be so clueless and bad at his job. I know NOTHING about running an NFL franchise, but I'd like to think that if I was hired, was paid a few million dollars a year, I worked 18 hours a day, and surrounded myself with some people who know what they're doing, that in SEVEN YEARS I could be respectable at the job. It defies logic in today's parity-driven NFL, that a team could perpetually be so terrible. Year in, year out, they always suck. Coaches and players come and go, and they always suck. The common denominator is ownership, and William Clay Ford is inept.

So great to see the underdogs get one over on the "invincible" Patriots ! My hat is off to Eli, what a courageous performance, and the Giants D ! I always said if you hit Brady in the mouth enough, he'll fold . Tom Brady and Coach Cheater showed their true colors by leaving the field with their tails between their legs. A true champion is humble in victory and gracious in defeat...they looked like two spoiled children ! Way to go Giants !!!!

I only saw a taped section of the post game press conference, but belachek seemed to be a bit of a sore loser. I can understand being upset over the loss though. Maybe they were all still overwhelmed by the -giant defense, just amazing.

i enjoyed every crazy minute

LOVED watching brady get MAULED....put on his ASS....5 sacks.....19 hits!

it was alot of fun.

the best play of the century...

best super bowl ever.

my GIANTS are the BEST!!

road warriors!!

11 road wins...an NFL record!

yeah baby!

parade tomorrow!....i hope i can get there!...

i guess the pats are glad they pulled that book off amazon....

like antonio said....."18-1...write that book!!" ;)

i think the big problem with the pats last night was offensive line..as soon as neal got injured (didn't return) the rest folded...light kept jumping off sides...i guess brady could be heard screaming at his line...probably for all the hits he took...his uniform was almost completely green

the pats were stacked into the hype...i read one article (not sure if it was foxsports or espn.com) but the pats (prior to the sb) were inviting the giants to their victory parties...brady (who normally isn't that cocky) was quoted after plaxico prediction that pats weren't going to be held for 17 points...the giants were pissed and geared for this game..

on fox strahan did his piece (filming teammates on the road) and they showed the locker room and one of the giants had pic of brady (stetson ad) in his locker for added inspiration...this game was almost as good as when the raiders beat eagles and made vermeil cry

Archived