New Zeppelin interviews in 'Uncut' Magazine

hot dog

Three great interviews in the May edition of 'Uncut' magazine. Robert was interviewed on 18 January, JPJ on 28 January and Jimmy on March 10th. For those hoping for firm news of activity it's 'as you were' I'm afraid, although JP & JPJ still seem keen for something to happen. Robert is very open regarding Jimmy, talking about his health issues etc. It's too long to type out, here are some highlights though:

Robert:

Did the success of the show test your previously stated resolve not to reform for a full-blown reunion and tour?

Not at all. I really enjoyed it. And hopefully, one day, we could do it again for another really, really good reason. Our profit is – it's metaphysical......... the trouble with the whole thing, about Led Zeppelin. It was always bigger than ......

More to follow...

Now the trouble with the whole thing is that raising sand isn`t "bigger then" any of it.........So , about that really good reason ,the metaphysical profit ?

I heard some Plant/ Krauss stuff the other day and all I can say is, if that's what's keeping Zeppelin off the road then Plant needs his prick shoving in his ear and having some sense fucked into him.

Now thats a silly suggestion, it could cause an ear infection or even worse deafness :blink:

Robert’s touring now with Alison Krauss. Does it infuriate you? Do you feel like saying: ‘But Robert, this is LED ZEPPELIN we’re talking about!’

Can you and Jimmy joke about that now?

We don’t actually joke about it. It was quite a hard time for me. But we’re past it, if you know what I mean.

What, is this this guy's first interview? What stupid questions....

Hot Dog - Thanks for the post.

Yes, I`ll include a thank you to hotdog for this article . Then I would like to say interesting photo you have of Jimmy (with the old bow) as your avatar 3hrsofflunacy,reminds me of the article:Classic tour -Orchestral maneuvers Revive Page & Plant material-Oct,1995 posted under :pre/post Zeppelin Forum,the article tells how they had many musicians join--such as several Violinist , thats not the same as a fiddle ,as it is a bit more complex and takes more skill to play the violin then a fiddle.I`ll also recall the lovely sounds of celtic/folk vocalist Moya Brennen Plant once included on an earlier solo project.

This Robert quote is very positive to me and he know's that he can run but not hide...

"Our profit is – it’s metaphysical. And that’s the thing, especially with my connection with Jimmy. I mean, the two of us are almost umbilically attached in some strange way and have been down the years. And that’s survived everything. From the time I was 19 to now, when I’m 59."

I just read all three interviews and as usual, Plant was indifferent and at times baffling.

John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page were both direct, honest and passionate.

Like I've said before, I never enjoy hearing what Plant has to say, he's a bit of downer.

In fact, I will go as far as to say that the more I hear what Plant has to say,

the less I like him (as a person, that is, but as a singer, he was probably the best ever).

My favorite quote by John Paul Jones: "I've got no idea what's going to happen.

But I'd certainly like to play with Jimmy again."

Looks like Jones doesn't care much for Plant either, and I'm not surprised.

Page and Jones should definitely do a project together, with or without Plant.

The Krauss tour will make future Zep better. Plant has never had to sing consistently with another. Plant has not liked doing multiple takes to find perfection like George Martin once had the Beatles doing. Now he says he can deal with it, is not afraid, and appreciates the results. What would WIC have sounded like if the producer and the singer favored perfection with 50+ takes if necessary?

What's missing from the Krauss energy? Balls out hard rock. What do Page, Jones, and Bonham Jr. have to offer? balls out hard rock. The Krauss tour is the perfect set up for a hard rock rejoinder.

I like Raising Sand a lot. It hits my Simon and Garfunkel spot.

Yes, I`ll include a thank you to hotdog for this article . Then I would like to say interesting photo you have of Jimmy (with the old bow) as your avatar 3hrsofflunacy,reminds me of the article:Classic tour -Orchestral maneuvers Revive Page & Plant material-Oct,1995 posted under :pre/post Zeppelin Forum,the article tells how they had many musicians join--such as several Violinist , thats not the same as a fiddle ,as it is a bit more complex and takes more skill to play the violin then a fiddle.I`ll also recall the lovely sounds of celtic/folk vocalist Moya Brennen Plant once included on an earlier solo project.

Moya has a beautiful voice ,however metaphysically speaking she was not born on Neptunelia july 23 .

Thank you, Hot Dog,for lightening up an otherwise dreary evening. :)

However as a regular buyer of Uncut, you have nearly spoiled this May issue for me ! :huh:

We are three months behind here, unless we are lucky enough to get an up-to date, hard-to find and very expensive air mail copy! :angry:

As for the information gleamed, I detect no-one saying that a tour, album, DVD, is out of the question, which must be the best news we fans have heard since 1980.

Something that may be a little overlooked, is that although many other bands of Led Zeppelins experience have had come-backs over the years,none of them had a key member with the talent and passion as Jimmy appears to have NOW!.

I dont know if it feels this way for anyone else, but to me it is like we have the "real " Jimmy back with us again; the Fantastic talent from the '60's and 70's .

I once feared that Jimmy might be lost to us forever, but he has come back to us, just like Gandalf in the Tolkien Tales, at the "turning of the tide", with enhanced powers and flowing white hair, and he seems to be wiser and enjoying it a lot more than he once did!. :)

The May issue isn't the one featuring Mick Jagger/Keith Richards on the cover is it? I think I've seen that one at Borders and on the newsstands. I'll keep my eyes open for the May 2008 edition....

And yes hotdog, I forgot to say thanks for taking the time to post the exerpts. :)

To everyone that's offered thanks - glad to be of service! :)

The May edition has Page/Plant/Jones on the cover. I can't yet find a picture of it online, will post it when I can.

The cover-mounted CD is rather good too, plenty of music that influenced Zeppelin.

Thank you, Hot Dog,for lightening up an otherwise dreary evening. :)

However as a regular buyer of Uncut, you have nearly spoiled this May issue for me ! :huh:

We are three months behind here, unless we are lucky enough to get an up-to date, hard-to find and very expensive air mail copy! :angry:

As for the information gleamed, I detect no-one saying that a tour, album, DVD, is out of the question, which must be the best news we fans have heard since 1980.

Something that may be a little overlooked, is that although many other bands of Led Zeppelins experience have had come-backs over the years,none of them had a key member with the talent and passion as Jimmy appears to have NOW!.

I dont know if it feels this way for anyone else, but to me it is like we have the "real " Jimmy back with us again; the Fantastic talent from the '60's and 70's .

I once feared that Jimmy might be lost to us forever, but he has come back to us, just like Gandalf in the Tolkien Tales, at the "turning of the tide", with enhanced powers and flowing white hair, and he seems to be wiser and enjoying it a lot more than he once did!. :)

You make a good point about Jimmy and I hope the reunion spurs him on to put out the stuff he has been working on, like you I would like to see him back doing what he does best. He proved himself again at the 02. He should be out there playing.

I think we always knew Jonesy would continue getting himself out there, but you never know where he will turn up at times, eg REM supporting Robyn Hitchcocks set.

It will be interesting to see what Robert does after the touring with AK comes to an end.

What, is this this guy's first interview? What stupid questions....

While they were simple, straight to the point questions, I liked them as they seemed to be questions that a Zep fan would ask, i.e. the question regarding any frustration on Page's part concerning the "Raising Sand" tour.

Hotdog, thank you very much for taking the time to transcribe and share those interviews with us! I loved reading about what the Zep guys have to say about their careers and one another at this stage in their lives.

It reminds me of the respect and admiration that I feel for the Zep guys today - quite a contrast to my youthful infatuation with the band and how much I loved them, in different ways, back in the day. This is a stretch of an analogy: I used to think that it was probably similar to how someone loves all of his or her children but, because each child is a unique being, that love manifests itself in different ways. And, although you love all of your children, sometimes you can't help but look at the one child who was your firstborn and feel a certain kind of affection toward that child because you remember how sweet it was.

Again, many thanks, Hotdog.

That's a lovely analogy. Of course children are on a different level, but, the idea is the same. Love them all equally, but in different ways. (Doesn't mean they won't drive you nuts sometimes, too... )

And if he gets fucked in the ear and it causes deafness he will have to keep saying to people who speak to him

Come again?

:lol::lol::lol:

The Krauss tour will make future Zep better. Plant has never had to sing consistently with another. Plant has not liked doing multiple takes to find perfection like George Martin once had the Beatles doing. Now he says he can deal with it, is not afraid, and appreciates the results. What would WIC have sounded like if the producer and the singer favored perfection with 50+ takes if necessary?

What's missing from the Krauss energy? Balls out hard rock. What do Page, Jones, and Bonham Jr. have to offer? balls out hard rock. The Krauss tour is the perfect set up for a hard rock rejoinder.

I like Raising Sand a lot. It hits my Simon and Garfunkel spot.

Love it!

I think you're right on... I feel the same way, like, Plant was awfully young when everything under the sun happened to him during Zeppelin's first incarnation, just an absolute whirlwind of music and craziness. Now he's mature and has stood on his own two feet, and clearly learned alot, away from the whirlwind.

I really do look forward to any collaboration between him and his soul brothers that is still possible, if he will let it happen.

A single Zeppelin survivors reunion show after 27 years IS the 68th wonder of the world. Doing regular shows will be more like getting a groove on.

Archived