New Zeppelin book

Aquamarine

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, apologies if it has been.

A new book in the works, first of a series--

here's an article about it:

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1102556

and here's the site of the people putting it together:

http://www.enzepplopedia.com

Thanks to my pal velvett for the info.

(P.S. It's pricey, but you get 726 pages for your money!)

Here's some more info from their site:

$59.95

PLUS FREE SHIPPING*

* If you order before September 7, 2008

while book quantities last

*FREE shipping to Canada/continental US. HALF-PRICE

shipping (International/Alaska/Hawaii) is $14.99 (After Sept 7,

Reg price for Int’l is $29.99)

This book is a whopper – it weighs almost three pounds. So you can imagine how much it costs to ship with today’s crazy fuel surcharges. Our FREE/HALF-PRICE shipping offer is sure to get people’s attention, so once we go live with our shopping cart, be sure to order and reserve your copy fast. And remember that we ship our books to Enzepploziners FIRST, starting on September 8, while book quantities last.

Here's the article in full--it was posted a month ago.

Fort Erie

You can’t talk Led Zeppelin with Frank Reddon without feeling a whole lotta love.

The Fort Erie resident has been a bona fide Led Head since he heard Dazed and Confused at a local restaurant filled with a bunch of hippies back in the days of his youth.

Now 47, the fan-frantic gardener, who has a day job with the City of Welland, has come to an end of a 12-year quest: Enzepplopedia, Break and Enter, Vol. 1.

It’s a book that recounts the genesis of the legendary group during those transition years when Jimmy Page left the Yardbirds to form the New Yardbirds – which later morphed into Led Zeppelin, one of the world’s most enduring rock and roll bands.

Dubbed by Rolling Stone Magazine as the biggest band to come out of the 1970s, Led Zeppelin has sold more than 300 million records worldwide.

The band has not cut a new song since drummer John Bonham died in 1980. Still, the Led Zeppelin reunion concert last December to honour Atlantic Record’s founder Ahmet Ertegun attracted some 25 million fans hoping for a ticket at O2 Stadium in London.

Frank’s 726-page book pays homage to Page, Bonham, bass player John Paul Jones and lead singer Robert Plant. The book rebuilds their early tours as the New Yardbirds – and later Led Zeppelin – through interviews with academics, rock writers, old hippies, street folk, musicologists, DJs and those who were around in the 1960s and can still remember it.

Frank describes Led Zeppelin as an “improvisational machine,” adept at fusing rock, blues and other musical elements to create a sound distinctly their own.

He speak admiringly about the guitar work of Page, who earned his chops as a studio musician and session player.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

He remarks on the how a recording from 1968 still sounds as if it was mixed five minutes ago and how Page was able to blend raw talent and the electronic wizardry of the day to excel on the rock and roll landscape of the late 1960s and beyond.

“I was hooked right away – me and millions of other kids,” he said of his lifelong love affair with the band.

The interview is held at his sister’s Stevensville home early Saturday morning with coffee, doughnuts and a lone copy of the self-published literary opus.

Lou Anne Reddon is a bit more subdued in her analysis of Led Zeppelin. A freelance writer by occupation she is clearly the organizer.

Frank is clearly the Bohemian.

Together they balance each other off. Lou Anne, as editor, deals with publishing details like copyright, bibliographies and those niggling legalities of the publishing world.

Frank is the dogged researcher: a search engine, a pot of coffee and he’s good to go for 20 hours. He likes to run obscene distances, quote Frederick Nietzsche – and yes, talk about Led Zeppelin.

“The book has 40 primary sources with people who were there,” Frank said. “These are people who have Zeppelin blogs or are leading authorities on the band.” Sources include Robert Mylett, who has written several books on Led Zeppelin and Jerry Ritz, the band’s first tour manager.

But Enzepplopedia isn’t just about Led Zeppelin – it’s about the whole music scene and offers insight into the cast of characters and the rock genealogy that baby boomers grew up on.

For Frank, it’s guitarists like Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and … (wait for it) … Jimi Hendrix, who really set the tone for a musical genre that defines its place in the history of rock and roll – but continues to sound fresh 40 years later.

“You don’t have to be a Led Zeppelin fan to get something out of this book,” Frank said.

Lou Anne got involved with the book on a casual basis at first and really took up the torch in 2005 when she moved back home from Toronto to look after their ailing parents. It is to their parents that this book is dedicated.

Lou Anne agrees their skills complement one another.

The two are a little guarded about what the book will sell for when it finally comes back from the printers and they are equally elusive about how many books have been printed in the first run.

They are optimistic enough to be thinking about second printings and Vol. 2.

“We have 40 years of marketing behind us,” Frank said. “The name is instantly recognizable and there is a huge fan base.”

The book is slated to come back from the printers next month and it will be officially launched on Sept. 7 to commemorate Led Zeppelin’s 40th anniversary.

“It’s been an absolute mind blower to see this come to fruition,” Frank said. “There is a huge interest from what I can see.”

Positive feedback has already been registered on the website www.enzepplopedia.com. Fans of the Enzepplopedia online newsletter have called the work “cerebral” and “unique” in its approach to an oft-written subject.

Led Zeppelin pioneered the concept album and helped changed the way the music industry looked at the LP. While the band shunned the press for years, there are very few people who came of age during the Summer of Love that can’t sing Stairway to Heaven verse by verse when they hear the song or who don’t still get goose bumps when Page breaks into that “rock anthem” guitar solo that shows his true genius.

Frank, who has run in major marathons across North America (including that one in Boston), isn’t one to talk lightly about fatigue – but he does so when speaking of the mammoth task of chronicling a band that has made such an indelible mark on the history of rock and roll.

After all, you can’t work on something for 12 years without feeling some sense of release upon completion.

But … with Vol. 2 already under way, you get a sense that Frank’s literary battle to deliver Led Zeppelin to the masses is one of evermore.

These guys have had a website and an email campaign for months now, and had a neat photo and description of Led Zep at the Gladaxe teen club 68. I'm still trying to scrounge together my Krauss/Plant money, so y'all will review this before I do. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

• 4 weeks later...
WOW! :o

Sounds like it'll be a great read. Will be ordering mine ASAP. :D

I received this book yesterday. It's a great read. Has many different reactions, stories, etc. about the band and the O2 show. I had the pleasure of meeting Jerry Ritz (Zep's original Scandinavian tour manager) at the hotel we were staying at. We talked for a long time about his time driving the boys around from gig to gig. Jerry's wife Annie took a nice picture of us which Frank Reddon graciously put in the book (page 71 ... inserts shameless plug). I highly recommend this book to all on this board.

Cheers!

I am all for anything that brings to light a new LZ tale or two.

Especially when it comes directly from people involved that put their stamp on it.

However , until one of the members of the band actually step up and get involved in a written project fully endorsed then I find most new books to be full of other's views.

Personally, I have my own , and don't need someone else's flattery or explanation about greatness.

No disrespect intended .

It's great to hear about other's accounts and memories . And always lends more to the burning desire for more information.

I honestly think that if you spend enough time online between the many fine Zepp sites , you can extract almost every known tidbit from quality time spent reading.

For example, S A Jones from this site has provided enough lineage to fulfill ten coffee table books.

When JP , RP or JPJ sit down and write THE BOOK , that's when I'll get excited.

Stick with the facts .

The list of "expert sources" interviewed for this mess make it a must-avoid. Save your money.

Love,

Billy

I just got mine and was very happy with it. It is set up in interview style and just because someone doesn't have a title doesn't mean they aren't a good source of info. The fans saw much more in Zep's heyday than any reporter did so to knock sources on that is invalid. There are tons of pictures and memorabilia in the book. I am pleased with it and believe to each his own.

Frank also took the time to send a newsletter in mine thanking people and signed it.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got mine and was very happy with it. It is set up in interview style and just because someone doesn't have a title doesn't mean they aren't a good source of info. The fans saw much more in Zep's heyday than any reporter did so to knock sources on that is invalid. There are tons of pictures and memorabilia in the book. I am pleased with it and believe to each his own.

Frank also took the time to send a newsletter in mine thanking people and signed it.

Spot-on analysis by Ross Halfin, and I quote:

"Sonic Boom -The Impact of Led Zeppelin Volume 1, at 700 pages a sad waste of a tree. Brad Tolinski sent it to me, it's by some fans and is all about them instead of the band."

Love,

Billy

I didn't want to open a new topic for it so I'll post it here. Its another new book, to be released on October 16th. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.de/When-Giants-Walked-Ea...4200&sr=1-3

When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin (Mick Wall)

Synopsis

Forty years since their formation in a grubby Chinatown basement comes the first truly definitive biography of the world's most legendary rock band - Led Zeppelin. They were 'the last great band of the sixties; the first great band of the seventies'; they rose, somewhat unpromisingly, from the ashes of the Yardbirds to become one of the biggest-selling rock bands of all time. Mick Wall, respected rock writer and former confidant of both Page and Plant, unflinchingly tells the story of the band that wrote the rulebook for on-the-road excess - and eventually paid the price for it, with disaster, drug addiction and death. When Giants Walked the Earth reveals for the first time the true extent of band leader Jimmy Page's longstanding interest in the occult, and goes behind the scenes to expose the truth behind their much-hyped yet spectacularly contrived comeback at London's O2 arena last year, and how Jimmy Page plans to bring the band back permanently - if only his former protege, now part-time nemesis, Robert Plant will allow him to.And Wall also recounts, in a series of flashbacks, the life stories of the five individuals that made the dream of Led Zeppelin into an even more incredible and hard-to-swallow reality: Page, Plant, John Paul Jones, John Bonham, and their infamous manager, Peter Grant.

Above all, a book that tells the full, shocking story of Led Zeppelin from the inside, written by someone who has known Jimmy Page for over twenty years, When Giants Walked the Earth is the culmination of several years research. It is based not just on the individual interviews with every member of the band that author Mick Wall has conducted over the years - as well as those who knew and worked with them - but on the insight that only thirty years working in the music business alongside its biggest artists can bring.

Spot-on analysis by Ross Halfin, and I quote:

"Sonic Boom -The Impact of Led Zeppelin Volume 1, at 700 pages a sad waste of a tree. Brad Tolinski sent it to me, it's by some fans and is all about them instead of the band."

Love,

Billy

I began to suspect this would be the case as the promotional emails filtered in. Even so,

I'm sure it'll be on my bookshelf eventually.

I was leafing through Jon Bream's new book on Led Zeppelin the other day and while it's aimed at the mass market there were many full page, full color photographs of Jimmy taken by Ross Halfin, to include that very excellent one taken during 02 rehearsals. It must have cost the publisher a fortune to produce, yet the cover price was only about $40 / 20 quid.

• 3 weeks later...
I was leafing through Jon Bream's new book on Led Zeppelin the other day and while it's aimed at the mass market there were many full page, full color photographs of Jimmy taken by Ross Halfin, to include that very excellent one taken during 02 rehearsals. It must have cost the publisher a fortune to produce, yet the cover price was only about $40 / 20 quid.

I just received this book today. From the little I read the text seems rather general, mainly drawing from old interviews etc. That said, it is worth having; plenty of photographs, clippings, posters, tickets etc nicely reproduced. I thought there'd be more on the post-Zeppelin stuff, especially the O2 show. Mick Wall's book should cover that in more depth. I only paid about £15 from Amazon, well worth it.

I began to suspect this would be the case as the promotional emails filtered in. Even so,

I'm sure it'll be on my bookshelf eventually.

I checked out the Jon Bream's book today at the local Barnes and Nobel. Great pics. Will order it off Amazon.com as the price is better there. Even at $40 at the store it is a good price for such a nice book with many quality pics in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this today for $40 (along with the Classic Rock special edition). Once I get through it a little bit, I'll post more. Looks great, though - plenty of poster reproductions, concert shots, backstage snippets and such ... though it does look like most of the interviews are culled from other previously released sources (Ritchie Yorke, Steven Davis, Richard Cole, other published interviews).

I just bought this today for $40 (along with the Classic Rock special edition). Once I get through it a little bit, I'll post more. Looks great, though - plenty of poster reproductions, concert shots, backstage snippets and such ... though it does look like most of the interviews are culled from other previously released sources (Ritchie Yorke, Steven Davis, Richard Cole, other published interviews).

I'm pretty sure some of the posters featured are not originals but designed retrospectively and without official status.

Archived