Jazz- any suggestions?

Detigers09

I've been wanting to get into jazz for a while, but I just had absolutely no clue where to start. I finally started to research a little, and got some Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, and George Benson, all of which are absolutely amazing. I was just wondering, I know jazz is such a diverse genre, but does anyone have suggestions as to where I should go from here?

night and day-anita o'day

sing, sing, sing-benny goodman w/gene krupa on drums, written by louis prima

vibraphone blues-lionel hampton

fine and mellow-billie holliday

take five-dave brubeck

salt peanuts-dizzy gillespie

rhapsody in blue-written by george geshwin, fave version: duke ellington

other duke: take the a train, satin doll

don't worry about a thing-tito puentes and lionel hampton

so what?-miles davis

any charlie parker

anita o'day at the newport jazz fest

billie holiday 'fine and mellow'

take five

gershwin himself with the paul whiteman band

charlie parker

miles with coltrane-so what?

I've been wanting to get into jazz for a while, but I just had absolutely no clue where to start. I finally started to research a little, and got some Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, and George Benson, all of which are absolutely amazing. I was just wondering, I know jazz is such a diverse genre, but does anyone have suggestions as to where I should go from here?

If you like early George Benson then I would suggest Wes Montgomery as thats where George got alot of his style from. He was a wonderful Jazz guitar player with his lush octave line playing, all done with his thumb as he couldn't really play with fingers or plectrum, so he came up with his own style..check him out on you tube.

I'm surprised DoubleNecker (see above) didn't suggest Cream (seriously). As Jack Bruce once said "Cream was a jazz band: we just didn't tell Eric." Listen to the live recordings.

John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Joe Pass, Django Reinhardt... to add to those suggestions already made.

RB

I would actually like to suggest Jack Bruce's "Things We Like" ... Jack's double bass work is excellent!

I agree with that; an excellent recording, made in three days during August '68, before Cream's farewell tour.

RB

I would suggest anyone into jazz and rock to check out Hansson & Karlsson.

This is their song Tax Free ,that was also covered and recorded by Jimi Hendrix, shortly after one of his jams with the duo. It's taken from their debut album, Monument, which was released in 1967 (or 1968, I don't remeber..).

• 2 years later...

Archived