Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

this just saddens me so much. i cant believe this has happened. lifes too short guys, i really hope they find the road again.

They've fallen out before, said rude things about each other in interviews, and then become friends again. Several times. (And I remember an interview in which Robert said he never heard from Jimmy anymore, that came out just a few months before the O2 rehearsals started.) Don't despair!

Okay judges... prepare your score-cards... this will be the greatest flip-flop in human history!

(Politics here I come! :D)

Thing is, Nathan, I totally understand how you feel, and YOU totally understand how you feel, and that in a while you'll feel differently. That's why it's often a good idea not to say everything about how you feel at the instant you're feeling it--to take some time to digest it and see where your feelings eventually end up. Totally up to you to express your opinion, of course, but I've often found personally that "blurting" ends up making me wish for that "slap-face" smilie.

Just a thought. ;)

Now wouldn't that be the smart, commonsensical thing to do (note, I'm not being sarcastic)?

But like I said. I am who I am. I expressed my anger here because the thread was here. And I'm not going to take back my words or apologize for them because that is how I felt and there's no changing that.

I'm no longer angry, and now I can look at it more objectively. How I feel now is quite different from how I felt then, but how I felt then was just as honest and true as now.

And now, I'm still disappointed, I'll always be disappointed, and I've never had much respect for Plant's musical career or many of the statements he makes, and I probably never will, but...

I can get not wanting to be a rock star anymore. He's 60 years old! I'm hoping to be able to retire to a little house in the country at that age. The fact that he's still out there is amazing.

What he needs to understand, however, is that he is a rock star. I don't care what anyone says. Plant would be no where near as known as he is today if it weren't for Led Zeppelin, and that is simply a fact. Yes, he was getting noticed, but would he honestly have ever had more then a cult following, like, say, Jake Holmes? I mean, yeah... we'll never know for sure... but I tend to think he'd be next-to-nothing today if it weren't for Led Zeppelin. Instead he's an international superstar because he fronted the greatest band in musical history.

But he seems to want to deny that, and that's what I don't get.

I guess I can come out of this with one thought:

I'll never see Led Zeppelin live. I need to just accept that. My heart is torn and it hurts to admit it, but I'll never get to see the greatest band in the world live. It is Robert's fault, but I guess I really can't blame him. I have never been in Robert's shoes and I never will be. As such, I'll never understand how it feels to be him or how he looks at Led Zeppelin. I can only surmise and assume and base how I feel off of that, but I can never know for sure.

Do I hate him for saying no? Yes. Do I hold it against him?

I really can't. I want to... badly... but I can't.

I think in so many cases it's just boiling down to the ages of some of the posters. No disrespect intended to any of them. Some have never really had a chance to experience the band and were so looking forward to doing so that it comes across as if they've been jilted. They should and eventually they will, understand how he feels PEACE :D

I noticed some of the younger posters didn't take this comment too well, but, IMO, as a "younger poster" (21) who didn't get to see Led Zeppelin live, I think you may be right.

At least, for me, my anger is that I never saw Led Zeppelin live, I really want to, and Plant has outright said "no."

We'll be lucky if they ever do lunch together again, let alone anything else.

Oh crap... this is not good.

I don't want to ask for details, but at the same time, I wonder... why?

obviously this rift between Jimmy and Robert is pretty severe. I've thought that for a while just listening to the tone of jimmy's voice when he answers certain questions...even as far back as the japan interviews you could sense there were tensions. Probably alot further back then that. Since both parties are represented on this board cleary from certain individuals who have inside/accurate info, and both of those parties seem to have expressed a large issue is present, well then I guess we have it...

it's too bad that those damn human relationships have to rear up and wreck our tour isn't it?

maybe someday we'll be told what happenend...but then again probably not...

You mean you hope that Robert finds it. He is the one that is making it impossible.

There are always two sides to every story. Although I am disappointed because I wanted to see them live before I die, I am hesitant to blame one particular band member. And this relationship between Plant/Page has had it ups and downs, and has undergone "repair" more than once in the past. Robert is taking the brunt of the blame here, but who knows what may have happened differently if he had just been allowed to "have his moment" to bask in the critical and commercial success of Raising Sand without the constant barrage of media leaks, tabloid reports and speculation about everything from his singing voice to his personal life.

i am who I am. I expressed my anger here because the thread was here. And I'm not going to take back my words or apologize for them because that is how I felt and there' no changing that.

I'm no longer angry, and now I can look at it more objectively. How I feel now is quite different from how I felt then, but how I felt then was just as honest and true as now.

Not asking you to apologize or not to be honest, just querying whether it's always the best policy, all the time!

And btw, rereading my earlier post, I should have clarified that it's my OWN blurting that has sometimes made me want to slap my own face, not that I was planning on slapping yours. Just in case you were cowering in fear thinking I was. :D

One thing for sure. 20 years from now no one will care about Plants work from his solo career but you will still hear Led Zeppelin and it will still be considered incredible music.

Well, people still care about Plant's solo work from more than twenty years ago, so seems no reason at all why not.

I don't agree with the sentiment that there is a deep rift between them. Jimmy said in Japan that there was no point in reuniting if all parties weren't 100% committed. Now, I'm sure that if Jimmy wants to tour and Robert has said he doesn't, Jimmy would be bitterly disappointed, as are many people here. But there is so much scope for Page, Jones Bonham to go on and do whatever they want to do...

One thing for sure. 20 years from now no one will care about Plants work from his solo career but you will still hear Led Zeppelin and it will still be considered incredible music.

Not sure I agree with this. I can tell you that today, I heard about four or five songs from Plant's solo work that I hadn't heard in ages -- stuff that's 15 years or older -- that holds up very well. And I am more partial to his newer stuff since Fate of Nations. Obviously they're not JP, JPJ and JB, but Plant has constantly surrounded himself with very good players since he went solo.

And let's not forget Plant's biggest and most popular song ever isn't from the Zep era, it's Sea of Love.

Not asking you to apologize or not to be honest, just querying whether it's always the best policy, all the time!

And btw, rereading my earlier post, I should have clarified that it's my OWN blurting that has sometimes made me want to slap my own face, not that I was planning on slapping yours. Just in case you were cowering in fear thinking I was. :D

You have to understand something.

All of that was an exercise in making me feel better. And you know what? It worked.

Now, obviously, blaming someone else for your anger is not the right way to get rid of your anger, but in this case, it worked, and... honestly... it is Plant's fault that I will never get to see Led Zeppelin live. He's the one who said no, so he's the one who gets the blame.

I have never respected post-Zep Plant. I'm not going to hide that from everybody.

For one thing, while it has had its gems, I think his solo career has been mediocre at best. Obviously, a lot of people disagree, but that's my opinion. It has never been my style and I've never been impressed with his post-Zep lyrics. I found Mighty Rearranger to my liking, and I enjoy what he did with Krauss. The closest I've gotten to anything else from his career is 66 to Timbuktu, and I have only found a few select tracks from that enjoyable. I do have the Now & Zen LP (vinyl record, for the one or two who may not know what an LP is), but only for the tracks with Jimmy Page, and I don't even like those.

He did some good, IMO, when he got back with Page in the 90's. I love No Quarter and I love WiC. However, the absence of Jonesy is glaringly obvious on No Quarter and WiC would have done quite a bit better with Jonesy on the bass and writing some of the music. And even Plant's lyrics on WiC weren't stellar.

So I am not a fan of his music.

For another thing, I'm sick and tired of "his sense of humor that only die-hard Plant fans and Plant apologists get." What do I mean by that? I notice that some people tend to dismiss comments of his about LZ liking it to a boy band and such with "oh, it's just his special sense of humor."

Why is it that only Plant- fans/apologists/groupies get that sense of humor? Why does it tend to get lost on everybody else?

I tend to think it's because when Plant is being slightly derogatory to Zep, there is no sense of humor. That's added in after the fact by Plant fans for an excuse to dismiss the comments.

Again, this is only my opinion and not only do I understand that many disagree, but I'm willing to admit that I could be wrong and there is a sense of humor I'm just ignoring, either knowingly or unknowingly. That could very well be the case.

But that makes no differnece to me. I just don't like post-Zep Plant. I never have, and I never will. And I will respectfully agree to disagree on this with all the Plant fans.

But is this the reason I vented my anger on him? No. It's because he's basically said "no" to my dream.

It amazes me how many people don't get that. Apply this scenario to yourself:

There is something you want to do really bad. So bad, you dream about it. Why do you want to do it? Because you've never done it before, and you've heard nothing but good stories from everyone who has. There is one obstacle in your way, however, and moving that obstacle is not up to you at all, but up to the obstacle alone. Then, one day, by some magical alignment of the stars in heaven, events start unfolding that make your dream seem quite possible. Even that one impassable obstacle in your way seems to be finally moving. Then a big event relating to what you want to do happens. It's huge. But you miss it due to money or other circusmstances. Your pissed, but your hopes aren't down because that obstacle is still out of the way. After that event, it seems everything is going to make your dream come true, until...

That obstacle moves back into your way and absolutely refuses to move again.

Now, you have one choice... forget the dream. You will never get to do what you wanted to do because of this impassable obstacle. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Sure, there will be other, lesser versions of your dream that you can try and supplement with, but they will never be like this dream, because you won't be doing exactly what you wanted to do.

Even when the dream is as silly and pointless as seeing Led Zeppelin live, it still hurts... a lot. That impassable obstacle has always been Robert Plant, and he is still in the way. So I have a right to blame him. I can't change his mind, only he can, so it is his fault that I will never get to see the greatest band in the world live.

So, whether you agree with me or not, you cannot deny that my anger is founded. It may be childish, immature, dickish, and selfish, but it is also, I believe, quite deserved.

As I said before... I understand Plant not wanting to be a rock star, anymore. I can respect that. But he crushed my dream. I have never liked post-Zep Plant before now, and he has done nothing to change that position... only make it stronger.

Now... does this mean that if I had the opportunity to meet and become friends with Plant, I wouldn't? Honestly, I don't know, as I've yet to have that experience. But who knows? The man behind the interviews, CDs, and stage-shows might be the nicest, most respectful, funniest man alive. He might be someone I could get along with so well we'd become best friends keeping in constant touch. I might have no choice but to get along with him because no matter how hard I try, I just can't be mad at him because in the privacy of his own home, outside of the cameras and the CDs and the stage, he could be a very different person. His non-Public persona could be kind, happy, likeable, and jovial.

That said, I don't know the personal, private Robert Plant. I don't know the "behind-the-scenes" Robert Plant. I don't know the non-Public Robert Plant. The only Robert Plant I know is the one in the interviews, on the CDs, and on stage... and I don't like him.

And yes, there's a difference. Nobody is the same on camera as they are off. Nobody. It is quite impossible to remain true to yourself in front of a camera and/or in the spotlight. Why? because you're aware that all eyes are on you, so you create a persona that you're more comfortable with in public. Then in private you become a completely different person... you become your true self. I know this for a fact not only as someone who has studied and still studies psychology, but as someone who's been in the camera and in the spotlight myself. You can try and deny it all you want, and some do adopt their public persona for their private persona, but then their true self is not real at all, not even to them. Creating a public persona is a way of protecting our true selves from scorn.

So the Robert Plant we all know and (some) love is not the Robert Plant who goes home to his family very night. He is not the Robert Plant who hangs out at the local tavern in secret with his best buds. He is not the Robert Plant who sits in the chair by the fireplace writing new lyrics. The one we all know is his public persona, and I guarantee you there is a major difference between the two.

there is so much scope for Page, Jones Bonham to go on and do whatever they want to do...

I think if they don't take the lid off this by the end of the year, hold a press conference, do some interviews, they aren't doing anything. They won't just burst on the scene with a finished album or tour dates. It will need some buildup.

I realize that the "Plant fans" will still like his music 20 years from now. I was talking about the masses out there. To them his solo work will be no big deal while Zeppelin will still be classic.

Actually, this, IMO, is wrong, because one could use this exact same argument about Led Zeppelin. That only Led Zeppelin fans will still like the music in 20 years.

Indeed, any music that lasts will last through its fans. The questions one needs answered are these:

1. Will the music still have fans in 20 years?

2. Will that music translate well in 20 years, or does it translate well now from the past?

My answers as they pertain to Robert Plant:

1. Absolutely

2. No and no. I say no to both because with Plant it depends on the era. In the 80's his music fit well into the 80's pop mold, but doesn't work outside of it. Mighty Rearranger is a good album for today, and so is Raising Sand. Page/Plant worked well in the 90's, as does WiC, but that would not do well outside of the 90's.

Obviously, all die-hard Plant fans will disagree, but if you take a look at it objectively... he'll always have fans... but I don't think the 80's translated will into the 90's, the 90's translated well to today, and, although I can't know for sure, I do not believe what he's done today (Raising Sand and such) will translate well into the future, but then, as the future's unknown, there's every possibility that it might.

Of course, that's my opinion, but there you go.

That said, Led Zeppelin is timeless. The music translates well today because it is the base... the springboard, for a lot of music today. So many artists have been inspired by Led Zeppelin that it's hard for the music not to translate well into today.

I think if they don't take the lid off this by the end of the year, hold a press conference, do some interviews, they aren't doing anything. They won't just burst on the scene with a finished album or tour dates. It will need some buildup.

I think you're right about that, however I don't think that at this stage going public with their plans is the right thing. We know that Jason has traveled to the UK, more than once, to play with the guys. Whether that was a jam/rehearsal, recording or what, we don't know. However unless and until they begin gathering material and recording, knowing that they will definitely have enough to release an album, would they announce it. To announce it before that stage would create a mass of media attention and would be distracting for all involved. I'm sure media would attempt to find out where the would be recording and would camp themselves outside to get the scoop.

If they are not planning new material, just a tour, I would expect an announcement several (6?) months in advance, with dates, or at least a general overview of when and where the shows would take place.

Interesting little piece that I spotted in an article about generating your own buzz...

Radio stations have the ability to move the needle, too. WCSX's J.J. & Lynne have "made the news" a few times in recent months. A case in point was an interview with Jason Bonham that turned into a Led Zeppelin reunion story. Thanks to super-producer Jim O'Brien, their content was packaged, sent to the media, and ended up being reported in umpteen newspapers and music websites. While Robert Plant recently squelched these rumors, the fact that he even made a statement says a lot about how this story took off. And it all started at a Classic Rock radio station in Detroit.

I noticed some of the younger posters didn't take this comment too well, but, IMO, as a "younger poster" (21) who didn't get to see Led Zeppelin live, I think you may be right.

At least, for me, my anger is that I never saw Led Zeppelin live, I really want to, and Plant has outright said "no."

Nathan, I understand your disappointment, as an OLDER (42) fan going back to the age of 13 in the late 70s, who remembers when the last couple of albums were released, but was still a tad too young to see them live. I'm not angry though; I do totally understand where Robert is coming from.

I hope they can repair the rift in their friendship for their own sakes, that does make me sad. :(

I think you're right about that, however I don't think that at this stage going public with their plans is the right thing.

I just get the feeling that the other shoe has to fall before this matter is settled and the pressure will just keep mounting for the 3Js to clarify their future plans. I mean, Jimmy and JPJ both have solo projects on hiatus. Robert already alluded to the 4 of them "moving on". Well, what form is that going to take? They've all been basically in a holding pattern for a year. Now what??

You have to understand something.

All of that was an exercise in making me feel better. And you know what? It worked.

Nathan, I know perfectly well that's what you were doing, like so many other people did--and I know your feelings about all the rest of it. And all the other things you said I had to understand! I DO understand, that's my point. All I was querying was whether it's always a good idea to vent your feelings at their most extreme, when you know a couple of days later you're going to feel differently. (Don't forget, it's not just you expressing yourself, but hundreds of people--potentially--reading and reacting to your thoughts.)

But, if it worked for you--I hate to say as therapy :D --then, fine. No prob.

Exactly...and maybe that really is the answer to Robert's decision. Maybe he really feels the legacy is in the can, and anything further would diminish that legacy. While I can appreciate that point of view, I certainly don't agree - especially considering how good they apparently sounded at O2

We'll be lucky if they ever do lunch together again, let alone anything else.

Oh-er, isn't that a tad Mick 'n' Keef of them?

Didn't they have a little spat in the '80's, particularly when it came to Outrider? I read a quote back then with Jimmy expressing his sadness that Robert had 'bailed' out on him - again. The same now?

Nathan, I understand your disappointment, as an OLDER (42) fan going back to the age of 13 in the late 70s, who remembers when the last couple of albums were released, but was still a tad too young to see them live. I'm not angry though; I do totally understand where Robert is coming from.

I hope they can repair the rift in their friendship for their own sakes, that does make me sad. :(

What makes you say there is a rift in their friendship?

there is no rift

Archived