Robert Plant - Official Statement

sam_webmaster

No tour had ever been announced or discussed. So why would he need to make an announcement that he wasn't doing it?

Exactly. As soon as one media outlet broadcasts it, everyone jumps on it and blows up into an enormous "fact" by the end of the day. The band had nothing to do with it. There was never a full on denial, but never a "yes, we will tour in '09" either. If The Sun had not been so blatantly obvious making it seem that Robert was agreeing to tour, I don't think he would have issued that statement. I don't think timing had anything to do with it. Everyone reads into things too much that mean nothing. Reminds me of an interview with Geddy Lee from Rush I saw. At one concert he was in a playful mood on stage and grabbed Alex Lifeson's nose during a song. After the show either a reporter or a fan said to him "what exactly did you mean tonight when you grabbed Alex's nose? Was there some sort of significance behind it?". :mellow: The point is that what is meant to have no meaning, gets construed into something philosophical when it shouldn't be.

I don't necessarily think they "owe" us a tour, but i would probably pay any price for a ticket, or even sell my wife into slavery. There, that's my humble, unsolicited opinion.

It's edifying to read the words of a morally-upright man who knows what really matters in life. :D

I was looking through this article about the -led zeppelin show in 07 and this was a good quote from -jimmy page.

"It doesnt surprise me that we can get together like this now. says page. Thats how we always were. You have nothing one minute. The next, boom, you have that. The great tragedy for me would be if i didnt have that ablility in me anymore. To be able to get to this place, to work with the others -its a gift, and i respect and cherish it."

Not really - but not a million miles away. Sorry would get blasted from all sides if I tried to speak on behalf of them, hope you see that. B)

Another period of tension between Jimmy and Robert. How atypical. Are we back in the 80's?

Hi Chicago - as Allison said, their relationship has been peppered with these periods, particularly since 1977, a turning pont in their friendship.

Ah yes, but it was Robert who sprinkled salt-peter on the reunion announcements. Some opinions haven't been made impotent however. Many remain firm in their hope of another coming together of the bickering couple.

Here's a topic above that is being explored .

The forever wonderings of JP @ RP.

Here's my nutshell synopsis.

Back in the early 80's Rob was adamant about no Zepp anything.

JP had the Firm on the go and all was cool.

Then in the later 80's , particularily 85 - 88 , Rob does interviews, lots of them , and publically decries that anything Zepp is super not happening .

In reality , and watch the interview backstage at Live Aid for a perfect example , what RP was saying in all those interviews was that Jim was washed up , and therefore , so was the Zepp mystique.

It was painfully obvious in his words that he really thought JP was finished as a great player.

And then , he goes on tour in 88 , with his new side-kick -- Doug " Wham - Bar " Boyle and does what??

He does watered down bogus versions of Zeppelin songs. Despite his rants about not ever wanting to do it, or that it mattered to him. He drained it .

Then JP goes on tour that same year , 1988 Outrider , and proceeds to blow the doors off of any concerns about his playing ability.

Then they did the Atlantic reunion and we all know it was bad . Some great moments , but nothing like a great performance , comparable to the 02 show or past Zepp years.

I think he took a chance then , and realized that JP can be sketchy at times as a live performer. We all know this.

Although that 88 tour was brilliant for Jim , the Atlantic 40th was not impressive.

So then Rob thought , no way , I won't do this again.

Fast forward to C/P. JP is ripping it up onstage and Rob knows.

Those Japan shows are awesome guitar playing , and it's clear that JP is back in form .

Coverdale is singing Rob's songs .

At that point Rob has been on tour a few times more and is now including a 70% Zepp content with young band members trying to emulate Jimmy Page.

I was there , it was lame . Great vocals yes, but the bands ??? Please.

So they make a deal. And we get the 95 and 98 tours. Both incredible for any Zepp enthusiast.

But JP was still partying and there were moments , that are debateable .

It's no secret that in 98 the tension between the two was there.

Rob was Mr. Clean and Sobre, and JP was still dabbling in pre-concert fluids.

In the end, I think that left a very bad taste in Rob's mouth.

The bond was broken and the trust was gone.

10 years later the 02 show comes along .

Rob does it because of many reasons .

The final result is overwhelmingly received .

It rocked , and the band as a whole sounded really good.

Jimmy proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he still has it .

Which left Rob with thoughts .

How good was I ??

How good was the show ??

How good will JP be with more work ??

Can I live up to this legacy ??

With drop down tunings and the rigours of a full on Zepp expectation I believe that he makes the wise choice and says no , I can't.

The funny part is, as time goes on , it's his voice that remains questionable , and I believe JP's playing only gets better .

So the tables have turned , in the mid-80's Rob was too good for Jimmy , and now 20 years later it's JP that has the controls.

Don't take this the wrong way , it's just that I never will forget that sour-puss mug on Rob belittling Zep and Jimmy back in those 80's interviews.

You had to be there , and see them to know what I'm talking about.

I won't for a minute try and say this is the story , but it's mine as a viewer.

Who knows the real intracacy's. People's relationships are complicated.

What I do know is Rob is missing out on something huge , and as a life long Zepp fan, it hurts to know that so much could be .

How about this Rob -------- have a good day . Good luck with your two years off.

I wish you well , and hope your health stays.

God Bless ya , and thanks for everything.

JP and Bonham made up 80% of what Zepp meant to legions of fans.

As time goes on, I find myself more interested in the live combination of JP, JB and JPJ anyway.

It's the music that grabbed our souls. I won't type here and say that I didn't sing every note of Plant's magical voice as a young listener , but really, over time , I spend more listening looking for musical shine.

We can find new singers . It's not that hard.

As a true JP listener , I don't need vocals , whatever the 3 J's do , I'm all for it .

Can't wait to hear it , see it , and live it .

Peace

Then in the later 80's , particularily 85 - 88 , Rob does interviews, lots of them , and publically decries that anything Zepp is super not happening .

In reality , and watch the interview backstage at Live Aid for a perfect example , what RP was saying in all those interviews was that Jim was washed up , and therefore , so was the Zepp mystique.

It was painfully obvious in his words that he really thought JP was finished as a great player.

And then , he goes on tour in 88 , with his new side-kick -- Doug " Wham - Bar " Boyle and does what??

He does watered down bogus versions of Zeppelin . Despite his rants about not ever doing it or that it mattered to him. He drained it .

Then JP goes on tour that same year , 1988 Outrider , and proceeds to blow the doors off of any concerns about his playing ability.

The they did the Atlantic reunion and we all know it was bad . Some great moments , but nothing like a great performance , comparable to the 02 show or past Zepp years.

I think he took a chance then , and realized that JP is sketchy as a live performer.

Although that 88 tour was brilliant for Jim , the Atlantic 40th was not impressive.

Those Japan shows are awesome guitar playing , and it's clear that JP is back in form .

So they make a deal. And we get the 95 and 98 tours. Both incredible for any Zepp enthusiast.

How good was I ??

How good was the show ??

With drop down tunings and the rigours of a full on Zepp expectation I believe that he makes the wise choice and says no , I can't.

The funny part is, as time goes on , it's his voice that remains questionable , and I believe JP's playing only gets better .

So the tables have turned , in the mid-80's Rob was too good for Jimmy , and now 20 years later it's JP that has the controls.

Don't take this the wrong way , it's just that I never will forget that sour-puss mug on Rob belittling Zep and Jimmy back in those 80's interviews.

Who knows the real intracy's. People's relationships are complicated.

What I do know is Rob is missing out on something huge , and as a life long Zepp fan, it hurts to know that so much could be .

How about this Rob -------- have a good day . Good luck with your two years off.

As time goes on, I find myself more interested in the live combination of JP, JB and JPJ anyway.

It's the music that grabbed our souls. I won't type here and say that I didn't sing every note of Plant's magical voice as a young listener , but really, over time , I spend more listening looking for musical shine.

As a true JP listener , I don't need vocals , whatever the 3 J's do , I'm all for it .

Peace

Ouch - gotta disagree with this. Robert decided when he wanted to carry on as a solo artist, to eliminate Zep from his concerts because he needed to reestablish himself and that's how he chose to do so. When enough time went by, his bandmates encouraged him to include some Zep tunes and he felt it was okay but he chose not to do them as they were (I don't care for calling them watered down but reworked).

Most of the time Robert has said very kind and postive things about Jimmy. I have yet to hear Jimmy say much in kind about Robert.

I dont' think it's a competition with them. They're different types of musicians and have chosen different directions over the years. It's not about who's better or worse. A bit like comparing apples and oranges.

As far as Robert's voice - most people can't do many of the things they did 30 years ago. I don't know why them having to drop tunings down to make the songs sound their best is some sort of dig on Robert. I saw him in concert many times in the last few years - his voice sounds great.

But it's obvious you are a Jimmy fan and have issues with Robert which to me if you're a Zep fan, wouldn't you support all of them - they ALL made that band what it was including Robert. You don't care for his solo stuff which is totally fine but you can't deny his contribution to the band or what he did as far as influencing music.

He does watered down bogus versions of Zeppelin . Despite his rants about not ever doing it or that it mattered to him. He drained it .

The they did the Atlantic reunion and we all know it was bad . Some great moments , but nothing like a great performance , comparable to the 02 show or past Zepp years.

I think he took a chance then , and realized that JP is sketchy as a live performer.

How good was I ??

How good was the show ??

Who knows the real intracy's. People's relationships are complicated.

Peace

I disagree about his voice being "questionable". I think he can still pull it off. And unlike many, I think Robert Plant will be like Johnny Cash, producing relevant work and exploring new avenues and generating critical acclaim until the day he dies. And I am happy to see JP back as well. Their presence on the current scene, whether together or apart, enriches life for us all.

As far as Robert's voice - most people can't do many of the things they did 30 years ago. I don't know why them having to drop tunings down to make the songs sound their best is some sort of dig on Robert. I saw him in concert many times in the last few years - his voice sounds great.

But it's obvious you are a Jimmy fan and have issues with Robert which to me if you're a Zep fan, wouldn't you support all of them - they ALL made that band what it was including Robert. You don't care for his solo stuff which is totally fine but you can't deny his contribution to the band or what he did as far as influencing music.

I'll go with you.

About his voice, sure he doesn't sound like when he was 21. But isn't that just natural? He is now 60! Otherwise I'd think it's scary. B) And does it mean it's "worse" now? No at least I don't think so.

And all the four of them contributed to the band, which we got to hear and learnt to appreciate. They were like pieces of puzzle, you take one piece away and the whole picture will be incomplete.

Ouch - gotta disagree with this. Robert decided when he wanted to carry on as a solo artist, to eliminate Zep from his concerts because he needed to reestablish himself and that's how he chose to do so. When enough time went by, his bandmates encouraged him to include some Zep tunes and he felt it was okay but he chose not to do them as they were (I don't care for calling them watered down but reworked).

Most of the time Robert has said very kind and postive things about Jimmy. I have yet to hear Jimmy say much in kind about Robert.

I dont' think it's a competition with them. They're different types of musicians and have chosen different directions over the years. It's not about who's better or worse. A bit like comparing apples and oranges.

I appluad your reply , and take on what we all feel as fans.

Before even beginning , let us not forget that each and everyone has an opinion.

Equally entitled as well.

Since you're the first to engage this topic , in a rebuttle fashion lets go down that road.

I guess the first thing I would have to ask is -- how old are you ??

Only reason being , that you would have to be a Zepp listener for many years prior to those early 80's to have a feel for what I meant.

And it's not a I'm older then you thing , just a mere point to wonder.

The interviews I speak of , and I have many on tape ,as a collector for 25 years of all footage , are all from the early to mid 80's with Robert so clearly saying how Zepp was great , but he's moved on , which is fine and I believe your point . He did and that was cool.

However, in some , he had this sarcastic tone when talking about JP and his efforts of the time.

Nowhere in my opinion did I say there was a competetion.

My distaste was in how Rob handled many of the questions back then with a " Well , I am happening , and others are not attitude "" .

Just opinion again , but JP with the Firm made most of RP's material seem kiddie-like.

That's a guitar comparison I suppose .

And the best part of RP's solo album in 88 was JP's soloing on two cuts.

Ya , it's obvious I am more JP inclined , but it's hard not to be after putting up with all the different guitar player's Rob has had through the years.

Ya, another slam ---- sorry , but I grew up in the 70's when Zepp were touring and making new albums.

It's JP or bust here .

Each and every member made the whole . No difference there my friend.

But after all the years , it's Jimmy that puts out the CD's and DVD's and wants to play Zepp.

It's all good , and I completely understand Rob's moves . No complaint's , it's just hard to watch .

Without JP , well, what would we have in the last 28 years .

Please don't tell me another AK/RP project ----- gawd.

I grew up when Zeppelin were the hottest and best kick ass band playing live shows.

In all of rock n roll. Period.

Cheers

I appluad your reply , and take on what we all feel as fans.

Before even beginning , let us not forget that each and everyone has an opinion.

Equally entitled as well.

Since you're the first to engage this topic , in a rebuttle fashion let go down that road.

I guess the first thing I would have to ask is -- how old are you ??

Only reason being , that you would have to be a Zepp listener for many years prior to those early 80's to have a feel for what I meant.

And it's not a I'm older then you thing , just a mere point to wonder.

The interviews I speak of , and I have many on tape ,as a collector for 25 years of all footage , are all from the early to mid 80's with Robert so clarly saying how Zepp was great , but he's moved on , which is fine and I believe your point . He did and that was cool.

However, in some , he had this sarcastic tone when talking about JP and his efforts of the time.

Nowhere in my opinion did I say there was a competetion.

My distaste was in how Rob handled many of the questions back then with a " Well , I am happening , and others are not attitude "" .

Just opinion again , but JP with the Firm made most of RP's material seem kiddie-like.

That's a guitar comparison I suppose .

And the best part of RP's solo album in 88 was JP's soloing on two cuts.

Ya , it's obvious I am more JP inclined , but it's hard not to be after putting up with all the different guitar player's Rob has had through the years.

Ya, another slam ---- sorry , but I grew up in the 70's when Zepp were touring and making new albums.

It's JP or bust here .

Each and every member made the whole . No difference there my friend.

But after all the years , it's Jimmy that puts out the CD's and DVD's and wants to play Zepp.

It's all good , and I completely understand Rob's moves . No complaint's , it's just hard to watch .

Without JP , well, what would we have in the last 28 years .

Please don't tell me another AK/RP project ----- gawd.

I grew up when Zeppelin were the hottest and best kick ass band playing live shows.

In all of rock n roll. Period.

Cheers

You're right - we are absolutely entitled to our feelings and my reaction was just that as is yours so it's all an exchange of thoughts here!

I didn't see Zep and I was young when they were popular but I was very aware of them, albeit from a different perspective. I do get the impact they had on those who experienced them first hand and wish I had that chance as well.

Robert has a quirky sense of humor. My guess is some of those responses were made in jest and I have seen them (I believe you are referring to post the Live Aid performance?). Sometimes it doesn't translate well I think. That interview was tense but I would imagine the whole situation was tough - they hadn't played together in 5 years, hadn't really rehearsed, so many things went wrong etc. But really, I've seen countless quotes from Robert absolutely praising Jimmy and I do believe he means that from the heart.

Hard for me to compare their solo works because stylistically they were very different. I really like Robert's solo work, even the 80s stuff though I'm more partial to things like Fate of Nations, Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger.

You have to understand something.

You as well, Nathan: there are no guarentees in life. The older you get the more you'll

come to understand just how fragile, frustrating, but magical, and memorable it can be.

For the older fans I would say the opportunity was there but nothing lasts forever. To

the younger fans I would say you have the luxury of time for dreaming new dreams.

If Jimmy Page can maintain quiet dignity and respect for all he and Robert have achieved together despite this disappointment I should think we all can, and indeed ought to. Not

for their sake but for our own.

I think Jimmy and Roberts relationship took the hardest hit when Page hooked up with Coverdale. That would be kinda like dating your ex-wifes sister(Sorry Robert, karmas a bitch sometimes)

If I remember correctly, Page was at Plant to do something and Plant was waxing and waning about "what a great soul partner, what a great collaborator Phil Johnstone was," for him and well, Jimmy said screw this, if I can't have Plant, I will have the next best thing.

I would bet Plant never got over that and now, not that Robert is using Alison Krause to piss off Jimmy, ,...but you have to wonder how much Robert is loving it that Jimmy is pulling his hair out cringing over that band playing Zep tunes when by all rights, it should be him.

And Zepp 4 Life - don't agree with everything you said but understand where you are coming from with the angst these two have for each other at times

I think Jimmy and Roberts relationship took the hardest hit when Page hooked up with Coverdale. That would be kinda like dating your ex-wifes sister(Sorry Robert, karmas a bitch sometimes)

If I remember correctly, Page was at Plant to do something and Plant was waxing and waning about "what a great soul partner, what a great collaborator Phil Johnstone was," for him and well, Jimmy said screw this, if I can't have Plant, I will have the next best thing.

I would bet Plant never got over that and now, not that Robert is using Alison Krause to piss off Jimmy, ,...but you have to wonder how much Robert is loving it that Jimmy is pulling his hair out cringing over that band playing Zep tunes when by all rights, it should be him.

And Zepp 4 Life - don't agree with everything you said but understand where you are coming from with the angst these two have for each other at times

My gut feeling is that whatever has happened between Robert and Jimmy runs a lot deeper than JP working with Coverdale and Robert working with Alison. I don't think jealousy or competition between each other is a driving force for their creative decisions.

Archived