The Train Kept A-Rolling

jwertley

I've just read Keith Shadwicks' LZ book for the 2nd time. I've not seen any video or recording of LZ playing The Train Kept A-rolling. I've seen Yardbirds' BLow up video that is very good. I'm wondering if there was any recording of LZ's bit on that song????? LED HEAD, jwertley :mellow:

As far as i know i think it was just something he did within the yardbirds. i dont think he did it with zep but it is a good question because alot of yardbirds stuff jimmy was working on like dazed and confused later became led zeppelin tracks.

As far as i know i think it was just something he did within the yardbirds. i dont think he did it with zep but it is a good question because alot of yardbirds stuff jimmy was working on like dazed and confused later became led zeppelin tracks.

On page 300 in Keith Shedwick's book LZ the band was trying to get back in shape after RP lost his son, Karac. The band was on a short European tour in 1980 before their last US tour. The band was "getting back to basics" as they called it, playing The TRain Kept A-Rolling" to get in shape. I wonder if there was any recording then?LED HEAD, jwertley :huh:

On page 300 in Keith Shedwick's book LZ the band was trying to get back in shape after RP lost his son, Karac. The band was on a short European tour in 1980 before their last US tour. The band was "getting back to basics" as they called it, playing The TRain Kept A-Rolling" to get in shape. I wonder if there was any recording then?LED HEAD, jwertley :huh:

I've heard the recording of a slightly "blurry" sounding but heavy, heavy version of "The Train Kept-A-Rollin" from the last John Bonham concert July 7, 1980- don't know how any of the other dates sounded. It would be cool to hear a good release quality version of it.

I believe there's some video from the Dallas 69 show out there and some from the '80 tour. There are quite a few audio versions around from both '69 and '80 and the last time they played it early on from Oakland in '70.

Video from Zurich 80

Some audio from youtube:

(Dallas 69 - the definitive version IMHO): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkLndqOqrtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnTJtTJejiE

Here's Yardbirds video as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UY8SAxFZw

hrmm wow you learn something new everyday, i have a copy of the yardbirds one on a lp i bought called jimmy page session man 1 & 2 But other then that i hadnt heard about them doing it. Ill have to search it up on the net when i get home and see if i can get a solid recording going so i can have a listen id love to hear Roberts voice on that track.

Several of the 1980 Over Europe tour dates opened with Train Kept A Rollin', and most are

available as audience and soundboard audio recordings. Surf and ye shall find.

Not near my setlists, but I'm about 95% sure that every show on that tour opened with Train.

I believe there's some video from the Dallas 69 show out there and some from the '80 tour. There are quite a few audio versions around from both '69 and '80 and the last time they played it early on from Oakland in '70.

Video from Zurich 80

Some audio from youtube:

(Dallas 69 - the definitive version IMHO): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkLndqOqrtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnTJtTJejiE

Here's Yardbirds video as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UY8SAxFZw

Thanks alot for your info. great stuff. funny, I like the Yardbirds version best, clearer.Led Head,jwertley :D:)

Video from Zurich 80

Train sounds so heavy with the 8-string bass.

I know they played the song on the Texas International Pop Festival 1969. I actually got a bootleg from it... but I don't know how to upload files over the web. (In the bootleg the song is called Sweet Baby, I'm not sure if it's the same text, but it's the same melody.)

I know they played the song on the Texas International Pop Festival 1969. I actually got a bootleg from it... but I don't know how to upload files over the web. (In the bootleg the song is called Sweet Baby, I'm not sure if it's the same text, but it's the same melody.)

Do you mean download from the web? Surf, find, point, click, direct, organize, convert, burn....poof, you've got it! :D

And yes, Sweet Baby IS Train kept a rollin' on your bootleg.

Do you mean download from the web? Surf, find, point, click, direct, organize, convert, burn....poof, you've got it! :D

And yes, Sweet Baby IS Train kept a rollin' on your bootleg.

i do think he means upload

he has the bootleg, and maybe he wants to share it with us..

if you have them on your computer, you could put them on www.megaupload.com or www.rapidshare.com.

if you have them on vinyl, the only way to get them on your computer is with a good microphone i guess..

I like contrasting the 1980 tour version of this song with the 1988 Jimmy Page Outrider tour version. It works great both as an opener for the show{1980} and a near closer{ 1988}, but the 1988 version totally smoked because it was late in the show when Page was flaming.

• 3 months later...

It was indeed their opener for most of '68 and '69.

I'll have to warn you though, hearing it will probably just disappoint you. They played this song like sh1t nearly every time... I much prefer the Yardbirds' version.

Zeppelin versions I have on boot:

1968-12-30

1969-01-05*

1969-01-10

1969-01-26

1969-02-14

1969-04-27*

1969-07-06*

1969-07-21

1969-08-31*

* These ones have the best sound quality if you want to check them out, but IMO they're all pretty shoddy performances of Train Kept A'Rollin.

After the 4th U.S. tour, they didn't play it again regularly.

It was indeed their opener for most of '68 and '69.

I'll have to warn you though, hearing it will probably just disappoint you. They played this song like sh1t nearly every time... I much prefer the Yardbirds' version.

Zeppelin versions I have on boot:

1968-12-30

1969-01-05*

1969-01-10

1969-01-26

1969-02-14

1969-04-27*

1969-07-06*

1969-07-21

1969-08-31*

* These ones have the best sound quality if you want to check them out, but IMO they're all pretty shoddy performances of Train Kept A'Rollin.

After the 4th U.S. tour, they didn't play it again regularly.

Actually, to correct you on this, they basically didn't play it after the 3rd U.S. tour until the 1980 Over Europe Tour. On the 4th U.S. tour they used the Good Times Bad Times/Communication Breakdown opener.

Archived