Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Mudbugclub

The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Zeppelin, Madonna, Queen, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Nirvana or someone else?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

You can vote for any act, just go to 'other' on the list.

The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Zeppelin, Madonna, Queen, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Nirvana or someone else?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

You can vote for any act, just go to 'other' on the list.

How's it going "Mudbugclub" as well as my fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? ITS FRIDAY!! This is a good question. In my opinion, as far as grossing figures during their tours up to this day, I will say that THE ROLLING STONES are the greatest highest grossing act of all-time. As for musicianship, the greatest live act/show on earth will go to the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. Throughout ZEPPELIN'S career in the late 1960's and all of the 1970's, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham would win band popularity votes in numerous magazine polls as Best Band, Best Guitarist, Best Vocalist, Best Bassist and Best Drummer. what does that tell you? ROCK ON!

Concert grosses and magazines polls aren't the barometer I'd use to gauge an artists' "greatness" in concert. Though I'd definitely consider Zeppelin one of the best live bands ever they also had their fair share of off nights (as did the Grateful Dead and many others). I don't think there's just one artist deserving of the honor, there's very many. Some of my personal favorites would be:

Grateful Dead

Wilco

Pearl Jam

Rush

Black Crowes

The Gourds

Lynyrd Skynyrd

R.E.M.

Whiskeytown

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band

Drive-By Truckers

Concert grosses and magazines polls aren't the barometer I'd use to gauge an artists' "greatness" in concert. Though I'd definitely consider Zeppelin one of the best live bands ever they also had their fair share of off nights (as did the Grateful Dead and many others). I don't think there's just one artist deserving of the honor, there's very many. Some of my personal favorites would be:

Grateful Dead

Wilco

Pearl Jam

Rush

Black Crowes

The Gourds

Lynyrd Skynyrd

R.E.M.

Whiskeytown

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band

Drive-By Truckers

How's it going "Jahfin?" Good bands you have listed. I would also think that at one time or another that THE BEATLES were the greatest live act on earth. Despite being very simple musicians, the fab four created magic when they played together unlike anyone before, during or since. Nothing could be more evident than the rooftop concert at the end of the movie "Let It Be." That concert ALONE, proved that THE BEATLES can definitely kick ass live.

Another great act that I would consider as being the greatest live act on earth is the 1967-1970 band called PETER GREEN'S FLEETWOOD MAC. This early band was ass kickin' excellent although this band did not get the recognition that was due or deserved due to the popularity and success of the new FLEETWOOD MAC consisting of Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. With the new line-up, the old line-up was long forgotten. In my opinion, Peter Green, in his prime, should rank up there with Hendrix, Page, Beck and Clapton. If you haven't heard the 3 separate volume CD set of FLEETWOOD MAC LIVE AT THE BOSTON TEA PARTY recorded on 5,6 and 7 February 1970, you are about to be blown away. ROCK ON!

For visual effects - Alice Cooper

If you like visual effects like Alice, you may enjoy one of my favorite (Industrial) bands, Skinny Puppy, been around since 1984 (British Columbians). I loved Nivek Ogre (Kevin Ogilivie). He uses performance art in all his shows. I've never seen them live, but have concert videos. You have to be able to listen to Industrial music to give this band a chance.

Edit:

my picks are of course Led Zeppelin, The Beatles (had to have been the craziest shows, ever). More screaming than any other show when the fab four played.

Others that are without question "The Best" are Bruce Springsteen, U2, Genesis, YES and Peter Gabriel.

I'm not sure about Alice now but looking back at footage of his vintage shows the props look hokey at best. As for the Beatles being a great live act, wouldn't it be kind of hard to tell if you couldn't even hear them over the roar of the crowd? I'm sure they could hold their own live (when you could hear them) but perhaps their greatest legacy was learning how to use the studio itself as an instrument. Even when an artist employs an array of visual effects in my book they still have to be able to pull it off instrumentally. A prime example of a band like that would be Rush though I did see them experience a Spinal Tap moment when their giant bunny prop when haywire during the Counterparts tour. Being the good sports they are, they just laughed it off.

Elvis Presley when he was healthy. No one guy could affect an audience like him. And he always sold out no matter where he played.

And of course Led Zeppelin, Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Springsteen.

My personal favorites for best live acts ever (so hard to choose just one!):

Metallica

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

U2

Jimmy Buffett & The Coral Reefer Band

The Police

Motorhead

... and of course, Led Zeppelin.

As for the Beatles being a great live act, wouldn't it be kind of hard to tell if you couldn't even hear them over the roar of the crowd? I'm sure they could hold their own live (when you could hear them) but perhaps their greatest legacy was learning how to use the studio itself as an instrument. Even when an artist employs an array of visual effects in my book they still have to be able to pull it off instrumentally.

Absolutely. I can't enjoy any show where the crowd interferes with the sound, without letup. And that includes any singalong stuff from an audience that usually doesn't even know the words or keep in tune with each other - although many here seem to enjoy it. If the costumes and lasers don't distract too much, that's fine - but still unneccessary.

I'd say Santana provided the best all around show I've seen, given the guitar work and multi-percussion interaction. Cream and Jimi were acts I'd love to have seen...

Hmmm!! interesting choices here....

mine would include Radiohead, Massive Attack, Prince, Bowie, The Church, Tindersticks, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds,Spiritualized,Steely Dan and Kate Bush. I'm sure there are lots more, including the really obvious ones that I'll think of just after I press 'send' but these'll do for now.

Archived