Do we really want this?

caroselambra~

I was at live aid. I stood in the heat all day waiting for Zep.

When they hit the stage they could have played "CHOPSTICKS" and I would have been happy. My only complaint was it was too short.

That's the mystery of the quotient: an emotional highpoint, but a musical lowpoint.

on kind of a side note here. Am I the only drummer on this forum that doesn't blame Phil Collins for the live aid performance? did anyone hear stairway? tony thompson was the one screwing that up. It came right from Jimmy's mouth that they spent 45 minutes trying to get thompson to learn the intro to rock and roll during rehearsals. and if you watch it, collins is the one playing the 16th notes on the snare during rock and roll...like it's supposed to be played. Playing with 2 drummers requires some musical tact from each drummer...those 2 did not have it together...agreed. but Phil collins is a damn good musician, and a very musical drummer...anyway my 2 cents.

on kind of a side note here. Am I the only drummer on this forum that doesn't blame Phil Collins for the live aid performance? did anyone hear stairway? tony thompson was the one screwing that up. It came right from Jimmy's mouth that they spent 45 minutes trying to get thompson to learn the intro to rock and roll during rehearsals. and if you watch it, collins is the one playing the 16th notes on the snare during rock and roll...like it's supposed to be played. Playing with 2 drummers requires some musical tact from each drummer...those 2 did not have it together...agreed. but Phil collins is a damn good musician, and a very musical drummer...anyway my 2 cents.

.....all that, plus the sound engineers screwed up and let the band down badly that day!

I dont think the poor performance of the *drummers* was entirely to blame.

.....all that, plus the sound engineers screwed up and let the band down badly that day!

I dont think the poor performance of the *drummers* was entirely to blame.

No it wasn't. Robert has said Jimmy was handed his guitar straight out of the case (not tuned), they didn't really get to rehearse, he had played a few solo shows in a row and his voice was rough from it etc. I dunno - as much as it wasn't their finest hour musically, for this fan who never got to see them, it was still an amazing experience and well worth what I went through to get there :D

who cares what reknown columnist thinks. Jimmy Page can do whatever he wants to do. call it Led Zeppelin. The line up for a band can change , there is nothing wrong withthat. you people have to get over it. When pig pen died did the dead stop playing, no. Since it is a fact that Jimmy Page owns the rights, he has the right to take it on the road and put out a new zeppelin album. Roberts not into it ok, who cares, let him take a two year nap. Zeppelin however will not be sleeping.

I agree- and The Who are still called The Who after 40+ years with two remaining original members. The Rolling Stones are still The Rolling Stones, 40+ years on, and they didn't crawl up and die after Bill Wyman left for good. Led Zeppelin shouldn't bow to the likes of non-believers, either.

I agree- and The Who are still called The Who after 40+ years with two remaining original members. The Rolling Stones are still The Rolling Stones, 40+ years on, and they didn't crawl up and die after Bill Wyman left for good. Led Zeppelin shouldn't bow to the likes of non-believers, either.

It's funny because i cannot consider The Who as the same without the Ox in the lineup. As long as the Stones have Mick and Keith, they are the Stones. I felt the same when i saw Pink Floyd without Waters....they were great but something was missing.

With Zep, i feel the same way as the Who. I can't wait to see Page and Co. but i cannot consider them as Led Zeppelin without Rob AND Bonzo.

There is no logic involved here...suppose it's just a chemistry thing.

It's funny because i cannot consider The Who as the same without the Ox in the lineup. As long as the Stones have Mick and Keith, they are the Stones. I felt the same when i saw Pink Floyd without Waters....they were great but something was missing.

With Zep, i feel the same way as the Who. I can't wait to see Page and Co. but i cannot consider them as Led Zeppelin without Rob AND Bonzo.

But Ronnie Wood isn't--I don't know why, as he's been in the band over twenty years, but I not only can't think of him as the new guy, I can't think of him as a Stone at all. But Charlie--gotta have Charlie. :D

I think one problem here is that Zep haven't been one of these bands with evolving lineups over the years--the four of them are pretty much fixed in the collective rock imagination as what constitutes Zeppelin.

Robert was playing the same sized arenas in the states in 1983 and 1985 as he did in 1988, the first two years were sans any Zep tunes.

I was about to type the same thing but you beat me to it :)

:slapface:

It's going to happen whether or not some people want it. Jimmy Page can do pretty much whatever he wants with Zeppelin. There are 2 and 1/2 members, (Jason being the 1/2, duh) who want to go out. And I bet they will kick ass in every City they rock and roll into.

Do we really need another thread like this? Really now. If you don't want to see Zep w/o Plant, then simply do not sell your first born or take a 2nd mortgage out on the house. Because that's what it's going to cost at attend the concerts these days!

I just had enough of the excessive whining and studying of this. Hope I'm not the ONLY ONE...

It's going to happen whether or not some people want it. Jimmy Page can do pretty much whatever he wants with Zeppelin. There are 2 and 1/2 members, (Jason being the 1/2, duh) who want to go out. And I bet they will kick ass in every City they rock and roll into.

Do we really need another thread like this? Really now. If you don't want to see Zep w/o Plant, then simply do not sell your first born or take a 2nd mortgage out on the house. Because that's what it's going to cost at attend the concerts these days!

I just had enough of the excessive whining and studying of this. Hope I'm not the ONLY ONE...

No you're not. I feel your pain too. :lol:

I don't think anyone "really wants this". However, since Robert Plant is not willing to be a functioning part of Led Zeppelin and the other 3 members want to function as Led Zeppelin, then what happens in the future to Led Zeppelin is in the hands of the 3 members that want to continue musically and financially. The member part of singing was offered to Robert Plant. He said no. Case closed. Move on.

Lucky for us, bands evolve. Pink Floyd's songs became more experimental without Syd. The Stones' songs were more hard-rock without Brian. The Who's sound flipped a 180 after Mooney died, and maybe that was the point. Ironically, the greatest rock and roll band who didn't take a chance on evolution soon after an original member died was Led Zeppelin.

Maybe an evolution is in the works with Jimmy's new line up, and the new sound might evolve to something surprisingly wonderful. My only hope is that if they do change the name (God forbid), they wont' go with The New Yardbirds. Shoot me now if they do.

But virtually nobody is saying that they don't want Jimmy and JPJ to go out there and play. The overwhelming response has been GET OUT THERE AND GET OUT THERE NOW!! The only debate has been about whether they should call themselves Zeppelin, which is a different issue.

I don't think anyone "really wants this". However, since Robert Plant is not willing to be a functioning part of Led Zeppelin and the other 3 members want to function as Led Zeppelin, then what happens in the future to Led Zeppelin is in the hands of the 3 members that want to continue musically and financially. The member part of singing was offered to Robert Plant. He said no. Case closed. Move on.

I want it!!! If the alternative is no music from Jimmy and JPJ, which it has been for years.

(And as far as I'm aware, there are only two other living members of Led Zeppelin.)

Lucky for us, bands evolve. Pink Floyd's songs became more experimental without Syd. The Stones' songs were more hard-rock without Brian. The Who's sound flipped a 180 after Mooney died, and maybe that was the point. Ironically, the greatest rock and roll band who didn't take a chance on evolution soon after an original member died was Led Zeppelin.

Maybe an evolution is in the works with Jimmy's new line up, and the new sound might evolve to something surprisingly wonderful. My only hope is that if they do change the name (God forbid), they wont' go with The New Yardbirds. Shoot me now if they do.

I hear what you're saying about those bands evolving as members left (for whatever reason). I think as you pointed out, Zep never did. It was the four of them only and when Bonzo passed, that was it. So it's a bit harder I suppose to think of this being some sort of evolution of Zep with Page and Jones given so much time has passed. The other bands you mentioned replaced members fairly soon after they left. However, I'm 100% in favor of them getting out there and doing something and fast! It's been wayyyyyy too long since we've seen Jimmy out there doing what he does best and I think him and Jonesy working together with Jason and ____ should prove to be a really interesting and exciting project. Come on guys - now!!! :D

Edited by ninelives

It's not a big deal. The point of the statement was that Robert adding Zep tunes didn't change the sized venues he played at in 88 as he did in 83 or 85, that's all.

The Robert Plant show I attended in July 1985 at the Rosemont Horizon was packed. It was a great concert with the Harlettes singing back up on some of the Honeydrippers material. It was the album Shaken' and Stirred which didn't sell for shit , even though I loved it because it was so off-the-wall.

Speaking only for myself, yes I really want this. I never thought it would happen and resisted getting excited over something I thought was nothing more than speculative musings and half-baked rumors. Now that we know it's true, that they are really are planning on touring and recording a new album......I frickin' want this! I hope they come near me (they can play Greensboro/Raleigh or Atlanta) so I can see them, but if they don't......I'll wait for the DVD.

If the Who and the Stones can take their creaky asses on the road, then so can Led Zeppelin. I'd think the demand to see them would be much higher than the previous two bands by far, if only because Zeppelin hasn't toured in damn near 30 years.

The Robert Plant show I attended in July 1985 at the Rosemont Horizon was packed. It was a great concert with the Harlettes singing back up on some of the Honeydrippers material. It was the album Shaken' and Stirred which didn't sell for shit , even though I loved it because it was so off-the-wall.

The show I attended in 8 was sold out as well. I loved the tour with the Honeydrippers set (only wished I lived in England and saw him tour as the Honeydrippers in 81!). Although it's not my favorite Robert cd, I think there's some amazing stuff on Shaken' and Stirred!

Just because those bands did it doesn't make it right.

Who are you calling, and what is, a non-believer anyway?

Led Zeppelin are no more, at least for the present.

We've all just got to accept it.