Anyone here researched their Family Tree?

Cecil.

My oldest sister's husband worked on the genealogy of both ours and his family for a good part of the 1980's and made it back to just after the American Civil War. My father's side has us migrating to the Midwest from some where's in New York state (around Harrisburg maybe). Mom's side migrated to the State's from Scotland via Canada at about the same time settling in Detroit Michigan.

My brother in law's family went west to Utah from here in North Carolina at about that time to. It's odd that my sister went west to go to collage from here and ended up with him there. :blink:

My aunt went back and traced back my family tree to the 1730's before the trail dried up. I don't remember if there was anything famous since out family reunion is bi-annual and I last saw it in 2007. She didn't bring it in 2009, since there was nothing new. But someone at the reunion in 2009 claims we had a direct decedent on the Mayflower... that would be pretty damn cool if it was true.

I am a relation to Winston Churchill. We can't work out what the relation is called.

My great great great grandfather* had several mistresses and he had an affaire with a washerwoman, one of his children was Churchill and the other was my great great grandmother who had my great grandmother ect. ect.

*the duke of Malborugh (dunno if that's the right spelling I can't read my mum's handwritting)

I've been doing my family tree for several years, going as far back as the mid-1500's. It's cost a lot of money and taken a lot of time up, but it's been worth it. Of course, that's my English family. Parish records are piss easy to come by when you know where you're looking. Finding records for my Polish and Irish side is decidely harder.

I always thought I was from the most boring family on the planet. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not directly linked to anyone famous, though I'm a cousin of a current Head of State. We share the same common ancestor. This has meant that certain events in the world have had an indirect link to me. The weirdest of which I had to learn about in school, all the while never knowing my connection to it. And I got to see them in Hello!, which is cool. There's also cause to believe that I've somehow related to two 19th Century Polish men - an artist and a composer.

I've researched my Irish ancestors as thoroughly as I can. I have great admiration for their strength. My great-great grandfather James survived the Famine and then came to the U.S. and had to fight in the Civil War.

Within the next year or so, I hope to check out a place near Westport where supposedly there are ruins of the clan's castle.

My mom, whose mother emigrated from Germany with her family in the early 1900's, is feeling a little slighted because I'm not at all interested :)

*the duke of Malborugh (dunno if that's the right spelling I can't read my mum's handwritting)

The Dukes of Marlborough, the family estate is Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire. The dukedom was created by Queen Anne for John Churchill as an enticement for his continued dealing with the growing War of Spanish Succession.

I was adopted at birth, so all I have is a family shrubbery! :lol:

I did track down my birth family about 10 years ago.

My mother's grandmother came from Wales, and her grandfather came from Calabria, Italy. They met and were married in Pennsylvania. All children married either Welsh or English.

My father is Welsh, English and Dutch. He won't tell me anything else because he fathered me in a tryst with his ex-wife while being married to who is still to this day his 2nd wife. He never told her about the affair, so my showing up out of nowhere kinda put him in a pickle 34 years later! :lol:

So I'm about 1/2 Welsh, 1/3 English, and the rest a bit of Dutch and Italian. I figure my feet are the Dutch part (they look like those shoes), and my love for my mother is the Italian part. The rest is all Briton-Anglo-Saxon-Norman-Celtic bastard! :D

I'm half Irish,half Sicilian...

Like this guy:

3326987910_56d962488b.jpg

The character.......

Sorry you can never be made bro. B)

You know, we always called each other good fellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, 'You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella. He's one of us.' You understand? We were good fellas. Wiseguys. But Jimmy and I could never be made because we had Irish blood. It didn't even matter that my mother was Sicilian. To become a member of a crew you've got to be one hundred per cent Italian so they can trace all your relatives back to the old country. See, it's the highest honor they can give you. It means you belong to a family and crew. It means that nobody can f--k around with you. It also means you could f--k around with anybody just as long as they aren't also a member. It's like a license to steal. It's a license to do anything. As far as Jimmy was concerned with Tommy being made, it was like we were all being made. We would now have one of our own as a member.

Sorry you can never be made bro. B)

It's okay,'cause Tommy's gonna get made......that little guinea bastard.....and that'll be like we were all being made....

(Paraphrased,but you get the fuckin' point B) )

....and Robert DeNiro is,too.

On my father's side my family has been in this country since before the French-Indian wars and before the Revolution. The first of my namesake came to America and received a land grant from King George III through Lord Fairfax in Virginia. His son later served with Washington as an officer in the Revolutionary war.

Also on my father's side, my great grandmother was a first cousin to President McKinley.

On my mother's side two different branches go back to passengers on the Mayflower. One was also a signer of the Mayflower compact.

Also on my mother's side is relations to Wyatt Earp and his brothers.

• 4 months later...

Don't know much from my mother's side of the family other than there is English, Irish, Scotch, and Dutch.

On my father's side is French, Spanish and Choctow Indian. The Choctow is from my grandfather who was half, making me and 1/8 and I'm told that that part of the family founded Broken Bow Oklahoma. The French and Spanish is from my grandmother whose family was part of the Spanish land grants here in CA and owned the Whitter/Pico Rivera area.

On my fathers side,I've hit a road block but it seems I'm a direct desendant of Margaret Wilson. A Covenanter who was one of the Two Margarets who were drowned at the stake in the Solway Firth, Scotland.They were drowned because they refused to acknowledge that the King was the earthly ruler in the Church Of God during a period that was known as the Killing Time

On my mother's side, just getting started on that but I know I'll be going through the Covenanters on the way back in time.

My nephew did a lot of research on my Mother's side. Her maiden name is Shinault and we found out we are related to General Claire Chennault (Flying Tigers) who fought the Japs in China before WW2 broke out. Another relative is author Ogden Nash. :)

Mostly Irish on my Mom's side; Italian/English on Dad's side. Roman Catholic all around. Although a couple of my ancestors did fight in the Civil War (for the North), most of my ancestors came over in the later 1800s.

My parents were born up North and moved to Virginia (they met here). My family is the only branch living in the South, except for a few retired 2nd/3rd cousins who moved to Florida from New York.

All of the circumstantial evidence points to:

elizmonarchs2.jpg

The family bible only gets me back to ~1720 with confidence. Interestingly, the highest concentrations of exact 12-marker DNA matches are in Wales and Portugal. The only exact 37-marker match is my uncle. There are no other matches I've found for my surname.

Trust me, my surname is quite enticing when it comes to genealogy. I can trace it back to the Merovingians.

• 4 years later...

Well opposed to those who's family came over "on" the Mayflower mine came over clinging to the hull.

So just a bunch of fruits and nuts on my branches laugh.gif

Lol. It's amazing how many people's ancestors "came over on the Mayflower" isn't it? The Mayflower must have been the size of the QE2! It's equally amazing how many pieces of antique furniture came over on the Mayflower -- enough to fill two QE2's!!

I'm not interested in genealogy, but I do know that my ancestors were English, Scottish and Welsh. I also know that my great-grandfather fought for three years in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia.

Archived