Zeppelin vs Sabbath

McSeven

Yes I have to do it. I need to start a VS post. With the recent 3 thirds of Sabbath reuniting. I have heard at least 2 new songs and I think they are fantastic. This being a Zeppelin board. We know that Zeppelin will win in any vs poll.

Anyways what are your thoughts between the band member playing prowes. The main differences between the two.

Robert vs Ozzy. Both are good singer. I like Plant more. Ozzy seems like most of the lyrics are like church sermons. Robert has more sex in his voice. Ozzy if more doom warning orientated.

Tony vs Jimmy. Both are really good. They are on par. But I feel like Tony's guitar attack is like Bonzo. Heavy.

Geezer vs JPJ. Both are great. Although I feel like Geezer playing with Tony Geezer riffed more on his own. Where as JPJ basically followed Jimmy's riffs for the most part.

Bonzo vs Bill Ward. Ward is more jazzy. Bonzo is heavy. Like I have alluded to. Bonzo and Iommi are each others counterpart because they like there sound heavy.

This is just my off the cuff thoughts on Zeppelin and Sabbath. I really wonder what it would be like if Zep reformed vs Sabbath. In my ears. Sabbath's new songs are really good.

I enjoy both Zeppelin and Sabbath, but see them as two distinct sounds. Sabbath has more of a dark/forboding sound to them in my opinion, where Zeppelin tends to be a little more light hearted and bluesy. Obviously, I love Zeppelin, or I wouldn't be on this board in the first place-lol! I enjoy Sabbath with both Ozzy and Dio. Ozzy was at the top of his game during the early-mid 70's and Dio is one of my number one favorite singers of all time. You cannot beat "Heaven and Hell" or "Mob Rules;" both are totally amazing albums. Dio was kicking ass and taking names! He is also the only star I ever cried over when he died. Truly the death of a legend right there.

Black Sabbath is a great band. Piece by piece, I don't prefer any of the individuals to their counterparts in Led Zeppelin, as I think each of the respective members of Led Zeppelin have a greater range of diversity in tastes, styles, and performance, at least in what they released as a band. Again, I love Black Sabbath.. but my favorite songs by them all sound somewhat similar, something i certainly can't say about Led Zeppelin.

Love both bands, but every member of Zeppelin DESTROYS the members of Sabbath. JPJ is way better than Geezer and no he didn't just follow Jimmy. Also, how can you honestly compare Bill Ward to Bonzo when most people consider him one of the best drummers ever. Sad argument. There is no comparison.

Love both bands, but every member of Zeppelin DESTROYS the members of Sabbath. JPJ is way better than Geezer and no he didn't just follow Jimmy. Also, how can you honestly compare Bill Ward to Bonzo when most people consider him one of the best drummers ever. Sad argument. There is no comparison.

Yeah, this, totally... I love Black Sabbath, dont get me wrong, but each and every member of Zep was way more musical than any member of Sabbath.

What made Black Sabbath is the chemistry, time and aproach. What I mean is that you do not need to be a musical virtuoso to compose and play great music. It just has to work together, it has to kick ass. Black Sabbath DO kick ass... mine too ;).

Very hard to call. I love both bands. I'd probably give a slight edge to Sabbath. And I don't see where Bill Ward isn't close to Bonham. Ward is an extremely powerful drummer. I'm not saying he's better than Bonham, but in my opinion the difference between the 2 isn't really that great. But that's just me. Many people consider Bill Ward among the best drummers as well.

As others have said, both bands styles are very very different. Both great bands to be sure.

I love Black Sabbath, but I see them as a very different band, heavier and more metal. On the positive side, they addressed social/political issues in their songs, which Zeppelin rarely did. On the other hand, although I like Iommi, I don't think he compares to Jimmy Page at all. I like Ozzy's voice but he has never had Plant's range. There is less diversity in Black Sabbath's music also, as someone else mentioned.

Very hard to call. I love both bands. I'd probably give a slight edge to Sabbath. And I don't see where Bill Ward isn't close to Bonham. Ward is an extremely powerful drummer. I'm not saying he's better than Bonham, but in my opinion the difference between the 2 isn't really that great. But that's just me. Many people consider Bill Ward among the best drummers as well.

As others have said, both bands styles are very very different. Both great bands to be sure.

I do.. John Bonham was as steady as a clock. Bill Ward's tempo is very erratic at times.

I love Bill and some of his quirks are what make him great.. but IMO he is not in Bonham's league.

Bill Ward to me is a cross between JB and Keith Moon.

Zepp is my number one, but Sabbath comes in close second for me. Like others have said, they were very different(obviously), but man I love that dark, heavy, slow, downtuned Sabbath. Sabbath with Ozzy is my favourite. I like Dio, but I prefer him in his own bands. I'm actually not a big fan of Sabbath's albums after Vol. 4. But anyways, if I really have to choose, I say Zepp on this one.

The only members that I think are close are JPJ and Geezer, but it's hard to say one is better than the other overall since they did such different things.

I think Geezer has a little more technical ability when it comes to bass playing, then again he had alot more room to show off his dexterity playing behind a guitarist like Iommi. And he wrote most if not all the lyrics.

JPJ is great in his own right on the ol' bass and of course he had a huge hand in crafting arrangements and augmenting songs with the extra instrumentation.

it´s difficult to compare... but led zeppelin winssss! ;DD EVER.

The voice of Ozzy is good (I think), but Plant has like a higher vocal register.

I mean ... can sing very high notes and stay for a long time (without stopping)...

Ozzy? yeah! but not like Robert..

Personally.....I like apples, no, oranges..

I'm pretty sure that Plant doesn't enjoy or welcome any comparisons with Sabbath.

9:00 to 10:00 Plant mentions them briefly.

Love that Robert is wearing white shoes.

The only thing I would add is that back in the late 60s Sabbath was considered more original than Zep. Nobody had heard what Sabbath was doing before, and Zep was really just reinventing things that many other groups were already doing in the blues genre.

With songs like 'Dazed and Confused', 'Sunshine Of Your Love', and other heavy riff orientated songs by Iron Butterfly and Blue Cheer, etc. out already - I don't know how they could be considered so original when they were just taking that sound a step further?

Love Sabbath with Ozzy, but Zeppelin are in a league of their own - IMO.

With songs like 'Dazed and Confused', 'Sunshine Of Your Love', and other heavy riff orientated songs by Iron Butterfly and Blue Cheer, etc. out already - I don't know how they could be considered so original when they were just taking that sound a step further?

Love Sabbath with Ozzy, but Zeppelin are in a league of their own - IMO.

Agreed. To me Dazed and Confused is a precursor to a lot of Sabbath material: it has that slow, sludgy vibe with heavy ominous riff dynamic which Sabbath would explore more fully and make their own by slowing things down even more and also with the use of drop tunings, and being generally heavier.

For me its more about the riffs for Sabbth. I love that Heavy Sound. Zeppelin to me have more variety and more popular status. I have heard a lot of references to Zeppelin in the media a lot. Its almost like the Media are trying to act like its cool to use Zeppelin in a refernce explaining music.

• ozzy is an awful singer,but I still love black Sabbath,yet they in no way shape or form can come close to being the band led zeppelin is! on a weird note,bonzo was tony iommi's best man in his 1st wedding,and plant has know ozzy and geezer almost as long as he had known bonzo.

I never could get into Black Sabbath. I've read that they along with Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, are often considered the originators of heavy metal but their music always seemed more "one note" than either Purple or Zep to me.

• 2 months later...

Archived