Remembering John Bonham.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Happy Birthday John Henry Bonham!!! 

You are missed by Me and millions of people from all over the world, every single day.  As I type this, I am listening to your "Birthday Party" concert at the Los Angeles Forum on May 31, 1973. 

Edited to add:  LONG LIVE JOHN "BONZO" BONHAM.  THE GREATEST DRUMMER IN THE HISTORY OF ROCK AND ROLL!!!

Edited by kingzoso

• 3 months later...

I'm not remembering John Bonham today because it is his birthday (It is not), but rather because 36 years ago was the last day he was still with us. This day always takes me back to 1980 and what could have come from him had he not passed away the next day on the 25th. So it is a special day in my mind to play a John Bonham drum solo to celebrate him. Long live John Bonham!

Edited by luvlz2

15 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

I'm not remembering John Bonham today because it is his birthday (It is not), but rather because 36 years ago was the last day he was still with us. This day always takes me back to 1980 and what could have come from him had he not passed away the next day on the 25th. So it is a special day in my mind to play a John Bonham drum solo to celebrate him. Long live John Bonham!

Amen.  I can't keep a smile off of my face and cannot keep still when I listen to those mad drumming skills.  My ears always gravitate to the drums, and I usually end with 'What a workout!'.  Will join you in saluting my favorite drummer and will enjoy listening to some of those mad drumming skills today.  Long live John Bonham! 

John Bonham passed away 36 years ago today. I reread the lovely article Sathington posted above last year.

When I think of and remember John Henry Bonham, it is not the drum solos that come to mind. I can take or leave them for the most part. No, it is his unerring deep-in-the-pocket groove and the powerful yet beautiful natural sound of his drums that made John Bonham so distinctive and so great a drummer. 

A tip of the hat and a raised pint of Ballantine's in his honour. ?

Long time lurker but first time poster here. What always makes me marvel at Bonham's brilliant drum solos is the musicality of it. Sounds daft: a drum is a musical instrument, so of course it's "musical", right? But then, a drum is the only instrument in a four piece band that can't play a C chord etc. Despite this, Bonzo made the drums sound wonderfully musical, partly from the skill of his playing, but also the ability he had to tune & set up his kit. I'm probably not explaining this too well, but imo, his ability to tune the kit is a gift not given to many (not even to that many professional drummers).

7 hours ago, 76229 said:

Long time lurker but first time poster here. What always makes me marvel at Bonham's brilliant drum solos is the musicality of it. Sounds daft: a drum is a musical instrument, so of course it's "musical", right? But then, a drum is the only instrument in a four piece band that can't play a C chord etc. Despite this, Bonzo made the drums sound wonderfully musical, partly from the skill of his playing, but also the ability he had to tune & set up his kit. I'm probably not explaining this too well, but imo, his ability to tune the kit is a gift not given to many (not even to that many professional drummers).

Welcome to the board, and kudos for making your first post right where you did on the board for what I consider a heavy day in Zep history for a band I love so much! You just won $50,000 (said like a game show host). :hysterical: Why don't we settle for "Achilles Last Stand", a song that shows Bonham's powerful drumming skills. Long live John Bonham!! :)

http://www.jambase.com/article/remembering-john-bonham-drumming-years-led-zeppelin

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 years later...
On 9/25/2016 at 10:38 AM, Strider said:

When I think of and remember John Henry Bonham, it is not the drum solos that come to mind. I can take or leave them for the most part. No, it is his unerring deep-in-the-pocket groove and the powerful yet beautiful natural sound of his drums that made John Bonham so distinctive and so great a drummer. 

A tip of the hat and a raised pint of Ballantine's in his honour. ?

Absolutely! :thumbsup: